PDA

View Full Version : TY LAW RELEASED!!!!

KCJake
02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
GO GET HIM CARL!

Calcountry
02-25-2005, 03:00 PM
GO GET HIM CARL!Does Ty want to come here?

DenverChief
02-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Patriots | Law Released - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:59:58 -0800

ESPNews reports the New England Patriots have released CB Ty Law.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

:)

Ghostof
02-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Its too late, theres already talks of Ty going to the 49ers or the Raiders.

Both are giving up major picks for him too.

ROYC75
02-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Did you confirm this on the Star BB ?

DenverChief
02-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Chiefs | Cornerback a Top Offseason Priority - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:31:15 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have deemed cornerback as one of their most pressing needs this offseason. The Chiefs are virtually certain to sign a free agent corner and could invest an early selection on the position in April's draft.

:banghead:

beer bacon
02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Its too late, theres already talks of Ty going to the 49ers or the Raiders.

Both are giving up major picks for him too.

If he is getting released, this makes no sense. There would be no need for giving picks for him. Either way I don't see how the Raiders could afford him.

Kris Kringle
02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I'd love to have Law in KC, but I won't shed a tear if Carl doesn't sign him. I really think he'll be too expensive. I'd like to see us get Smoot or any one of a few other free agent CBs. I'd rather have two mid grade CB's than one top flight CB. Wouldn't you?

The Bad Guy
02-25-2005, 03:08 PM
There is no way in hell that Ty Law is going to either the 49ers or Raiders. Oakland can't afford him and the 49ers said they aren't adding any major FAs this year.

beer bacon
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd love to have Law in KC, but I won't shed a tear if Carl doesn't sign him. I really think he'll be too expensive. I'd like to see us get Smoot or any one of a few other free agent CBs. I'd rather have two mid grade CB's than one top flight CB. Wouldn't you?

If we some how managed two of these four, Rolle, Lucas, Smoot, and Baxter, I would be ecstatic.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2005, 03:10 PM
no draft picks in trade ... check

properly structure contract ........... ???

go get him!! :thumb:

he would be a great short term solution ... brings attitude,experience and an on-field coach.

but only if we can get him with a favorably structure contract.

tyton75
02-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm afraid of picking him up.. simply becasue the dude can't even WALK yet.. how do they know he will recover after all that.. he won't have time to get in condition.. so he'll have to build up his conditioning during the season.. I don't like us spending money on that type of guy when this is our make or break year

tk13
02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm all for it, my only worry is we're only going to have 4.5 mil in cap space and Law is going to want to take up most of it and that'd be our only upgrade... it'd be great but we need more than that.

chief4life
02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Ok where did you hear he was released because I cant find anything on it?

The Bad Guy
02-25-2005, 03:14 PM

he would be a great short term solution ... brings attitude,experience and an on-field coach.

Does the structure even matter anymore? The team is looking at tons of veterans who are going to likely leave after this year - Roaf, Shields, Green, Holmes - and I'm just sick of rebuilding with nothing to show for it except a 2nd round playoff loss.

Ty Law makes our defense instantly 5 times better. I don't care what it takes to sign him, but they have to get someone of his caliber on this defense.

The Bad Guy
02-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm all for it, my only worry is we're only going to have 4.5 mil in cap space and Law is going to take up most of it and that'd be our only upgrade... it'd be great but we need more than that.

If push came to shove I'm sure they could get Green, Roaf, Woods, Barber and a couple other guys to restructure to free up dollars.

alpha_omega
02-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Let the fun begin!!!

Uncle_Ted
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM

It's on ESPNews

Dr. Johnny Fever
Does Ty want to come here?
Just long enough to have some ribs and Boulevard....then he'll be headed somewhere that isn't a project...

Mr. Kotter
Does the structure even matter anymore? The team is looking at tons of veterans who are going to likely leave after this year - Roaf, Shields, Green, Holmes - and I'm just sick of rebuilding with nothing to show for it except a 2nd round playoff loss.

Ty Law makes our defense instantly 5 times better. I don't care what it takes to sign him, but they have to get someone of his caliber on this defense.

If CP doesn't make a SERIOUS push for him NOW, we will quickly know what our FA off-season is going to look like...

DAMN, IT....CARL!!! :cuss:

Go get him. NOW! :cuss:

DenverChief
02-25-2005, 03:17 PM

Hello Mcfly

Patriots | Law Released - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:59:58 -0800

ESPNews reports the New England Patriots have released CB Ty Law.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

DenverChief
02-25-2005, 03:18 PM
It's on ESPNews

and KFFL

tk13
If push came to shove I'm sure they could get Green, Roaf, Woods, Barber and a couple other guys to restructure to free up dollars.
Yeah, that's what I hope.... I would think if Carl said "Hey, we're going after Ty Law" people would get off their butt and help out, but we'll see....

Mr. Laz

good points ...

although i will still like to have it structure to minimize the cap impact for this year at least so we can pick up a couple of other guys.

Hoover
02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Now is this the guy who does the Home Makeover Shows?

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
There's absolutely no excuses for Carl now. There are way too many quality FA corners on the market now.

DenverChief
02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
There's absolutely no excuses for Carl now. There are way too many quality FA corners on the market now.

Who else besides law and Smoot in a few days?

Mr. Laz
02-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Now is this the guy who does the Home Makeover Shows?

Ty Pennington

http://www.tvtome.com/images/people/82/8/50-5778-sm.jpg

tk13
02-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Indeed. Whose job is it to come up with the "It's Hugh time, woman!" catch phrase for this year?
Gotta wait to see which FA we spend 29 days talking non-stop about before making this year's obsession quiz.... :)

I'm not sure it'll ever top Hugh Douglas though....

DenverChief
02-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Gotta wait to see which FA we spend 29 days talking non-stop about before making this year's obsession quiz.... :)

ROFL

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Who else besides law and Smoot in a few days?
Rolle is a top 5 corner. Baxter looks like a good fit for us. Lucas isn't bad. There's some damn good options out there for us not to land a veteran who can play better than Bartee or McCleon.

chief4life
02-25-2005, 03:24 PM
It's on ESPNews

thanks and lets go get him. Is there a way we can get two corners

smoot and law or is that a pipe dream :thumb:

Mr. Laz
02-25-2005, 03:25 PM
with the foot injury i don't think the is anyway the chiefs move on Law early.

our only real hope to get Law is if everyone waits on law until he can pass the physical.

on the other hand i guess we can sign law now ... and if his foot doesn't get better he fails the physical and voids the contract.

:hmmm:

Eleazar
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM

Look how well that one turned out!

Chiefnj
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Isn't Law still getting around on a Little Rascal? The guy can't even run yet and people want to throw millions at him.

Stinger
02-25-2005, 03:27 PM

Exaclty anyone taking bets on how long till the first fake thread ....

Ty Law signs ..........

a check at his local grocery store.

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 03:27 PM
This is the best FA period I can remember in a long time. How about making it a memorable one, Carl?

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Exaclty anyone taking bets on how long till the first fake thread ....

Ty Law signs ..........

a check at his local grocery store.

Heh. Or an autograph at the ProBowl

... ROFL

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm getting goosebumps-he's on the radio right now-AM 610.

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
From one who has seen every snap of every game Ty Law has ever played in while in the NFL:

Strengths: Very smart player. Never out of position, but he is a gambler. Good hands for picking the ball off. Good speed. Great in run support for a CB. Solid tackler and will usually give up his body to get it done.

Weaknesses: Not many. Age is starting to become a factor (I think 31 at the start of the upcoming season, but I haven't double checked this). Has suffered major injuries each of the last two years, but they were broken bones which, when healed, should be 100%. This past year's injury may have involed a lis franc (ligament) injury, so full recovery tiemframe is a bit uncertain.

Not a "Deion Sanders at the top of his game" absolute shutdown corner, but still among the best in the league.

Although a smart player and good teammate, does not have tremendous leadership skills (was never selected a team captain by his peers).

Ultimate mercenary. Will play for whoever throws the most $$ at him.

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Law is on 610 right now.

dirk digler
02-25-2005, 03:39 PM
With the glut of very good cornerbacks on the FA market there is no reason why we can't sign at least 1 but we need 2 IMO.
I don't really care who it is because any of the top ones are better than what we got right now.
Carl you better make it happen bitch.

DenverChief
02-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Law is on 610 right now.

saying?

dirk digler
02-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Law is on 610 right now.

So what is he saying?

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 03:41 PM
He said he is interested in becoming a Chief. He wants to go to a place where's theres fan support. Damn it sounds good to have someone sound like they want be here. He said hopefully something can work out and he'll be here.

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Said if all things were competitive (in terms of $$) he'd go where he thought he could win....pretty standard response...but he ended by saying, "Hopefully something will work out and I'll be there" (almost exact qoute)

dirk digler
02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys!

beer bacon
02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Even though over all the interview was pretty generic and the guy has a broken foot, damn that interview got me pumped.

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Law is on 610 right now.

Wow, that was fast.

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Ultimate mercenary. Will play for whoever throws the most $$ at him.

yeah, him and every single player in the NFL.....

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I want the guy, but his foot is a major concern...dude can't even run yet (which may make it possible to structure his contract with more flexibility though...)

tk13
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Wow, that was fast.
Whitlock controls the NFL.

dirk digler
02-25-2005, 03:46 PM

If the Chiefs sign Law we will never hear the end of it from Fatlock.

TEX
02-25-2005, 03:47 PM
He said he is interested in becoming a Chief. He wants to go to a place where's theres fan support. Damn it sounds good to have someone sound like they want be here. He said hopefully something can work out and he'll be here.

Great, maybt DV can bring him here to "compete" for a job. :shake:

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:48 PM

With power like that, you'd think he could control his eating.

siberian khatru
Great, maybt DV can bring him here to "compete" for a job. :shake:

He would make a GREAT nickle back. And if Bartee went down with injury ...

Amnorix
So what is he saying?

He's saying that the Chiefs are a great organization, and that

http://www.leon.k12.fl.us/Public/Business/ShowMeTheMoney/money.jpg

anybody would be proud and thrilled to join their organization and work for such a great coach as Coach Vermeil, and

http://resellers.kangaweb.com/images/stickboy_cash02.gif

and he'd love to play with such talented teammates

http://media.bestprices.com/content/isbn/48/0805849548.jpg

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Just to be clear the dude was really cut, he was really on the radio, and he really said this

"Hopefully something will work out and I'll be there" (almost exact qoute)

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:49 PM

anybody would be proud and thrilled to join their organization and work for such a great coach as Coach Vermeil, and

ROFL

Thank you, Mr. Subliminal.

dirk digler
02-25-2005, 03:50 PM

So what are you saying?

He is just like any other FA in the NFL. It is all about the money.

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
So what are you saying?

he's saying he doesn't care that Law is leaving (really, honestly...), but that Law leaving makes Law (gasp!) a player who cares about money.....or something

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
yeah, him and every single player in the NFL.....

I'm very pleased to report that that is not true. I can name several Patriots players who damn well know they would've gotten more in FA offers than what they took to resign with the Patriots.

And Rosevelt Colvin took less to sign with us than what the Cardinals offered him. But that one clearly has an asterisk next to it cuz it was the cardinals. :)

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
he's saying he doesn't care that Law is leaving (really, honestly...), but that Law leaving makes Law (gasp!) a player who cares about money.....or something

If I had just won a Super Bowl without him, I probably wouldn't give a shit about him either.

Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury.

tk13
02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Well that and Law is probably giving this same interview to every other sports station in every other NFL market where his services are needed....

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
So what are you saying?

Honestly, I have no problem with any player in the NFL going after the money. Law is even entitled to do it, no sweat. He was cut because his cap number was too high, and Pats fans knew this was coming.

What burns my ass is that last year, when Champ Bailey got a bigger contract, he acted like a total A-Hole trying to get cut by the Patriots because he was no longer THE top paid CB in the NFL. This despite the fact that he made more money from '99-03 than ANY other CB in the NFL.

He acted like the Pats were screwing him, when in fact they had paid him more than anybody else had paid their CBs.

I think he's a very good player, and he can chase the $$ if he wants, but to act like he did during last year's offseason was completely unacceptable.

the Talking Can
I'm very pleased to report that that is not true. I can name several Patriots players who damn well know they would've gotten more in FA offers than what they took to resign with the Patriots.

And Rosevelt Colvin took less to sign with us than what the Cardinals offered him. But that one clearly has an asterisk next to it cuz it was the cardinals. :)

yeah we know, New England is the land of milk and honey....no one here cares so move along, we've got business to attend to and we don't give a **** that your panties are in a bunch about Ty Law.....

TEX

I agree. I'd certainly like to be able to sign more than on top flight CB. Plus, we're not even sure when he'll be ready to play.

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 03:58 PM

I can't say I don't care. I'd definitely rather have him than not have him. But at a $12.5M cap charge (like 15% of the cap), and having already proved we can beat the best offenses in the NFL (Colts, etc.) and the Super Bowl without him, it would be foolish to keep him.

We will sign a mid-level CB in free agency, and draft another CB within the top 3 rounds, IMHO. It's not a problem in terms of the Patriots being a very good team.

Also -- feel free to name even one CB from the old Parcells Giants teams.... Belichick doesn't rely on great cornerbacks to run his SB winning defenses...

But, they are nice to have around. ROFL

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 03:59 PM
yeah we know, New England is the land of milk and honey....no one here cares so move along, we've got business to attend to and we don't give a **** that your panties are in a bunch about Ty Law.....

err...most Pats fans figured he'd get cut or traded. I figured trade, but apparently we were up against the salary cap wall or somesuch.

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Honestly, I have no problem with any player in the NFL going after the money. Law is even entitled to do it, no sweat. He was cut because his cap number was too high, and Pats fans knew this was coming.

What burns my ass is that last year, when Champ Bailey got a bigger contract, he acted like a total A-Hole trying to get cut by the Patriots because he was no longer THE top paid CB in the NFL. This despite the fact that he made more money from '99-03 than ANY other CB in the NFL.

He acted like the Pats were screwing him, when in fact they had paid him more than anybody else had paid their CBs.

I think he's a very good player, and he can chase the $$ if he wants, but to act like he did during last year's offseason was completely unacceptable.

yeah, we get it....got it the first time...we're more concerned with signing a good player to improve our team and not so concerned with you feeling jilted...but thanks a lot for tipping us off to the fact that the best CB on the FA market may want a lot of money, really, you guys in New England are on the ball....

dirk digler
02-25-2005, 04:00 PM

I understand. If I was Pats fan what he did last offseason would really sour me on the guy and I would probably would care 2 cents less if they had cut him.
Personally we need all of the help we can get so I would take him even with his attitude.

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 04:04 PM
yeah, we get it....got it the first time...we're more concerned with signing a good player to improve our team and not so concerned with you feeling jilted...but thanks a lot for tipping us off to the fact that the best CB on the FA market may want a lot of money, really, you guys in New England are on the ball....

Did you happen to read the post where I listed his strengths and weaknesses, or are you just intentionally ignoring the part where I added to the football end of this conversation? :shake:

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 04:05 PM
ROFL

Thank you, Mr. Subliminal.

Hey, you know...I go for subtle.... ROFL

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
I understand. If I was Pats fan what he did last offseason would really sour me on the guy and I would probably would care 2 cents less if they had cut him.
Personally we need all of the help we can get so I would take him even with his attitude.

I guarantee he'll be a good player for whoever gets him and one any team (and its fans) will like. No doubt about it.

dirk digler
02-25-2005, 04:09 PM
I do have a FA question though. Since the Pats released him can't any team sign him now just like what happened to Bledsoe or am I missing something.

BigRedChief
02-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Dammit Carl! :cuss: Pick up the phone!

HolmeZz
02-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Picking up Law will do more than just help us on the field; we'll get the media coverage and a lot of positive talk about our team, which might help draw other FAs to KC.

whoman69
02-25-2005, 04:21 PM
31 years old, coming off injury and want to get PAID . Tell me how this is going to be different from Hugh Douglas?

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 04:22 PM
31 years old, coming off injury and want to get PAID . Tell me how this is going to be different from Hugh Douglas?

he'll actually sign with us?

BigRedChief
02-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Hugh Douglas = Ty Law ROFL Come on....Ty Law has been one of the best at his position for 10 years. He has at least 2 good years left. We only need one year and we are rebuilding. Frigging roll the dice.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-25-2005, 04:26 PM
The Chiefs can't sign Ty Law. Half the fin fans have already spent the Chiefs' 2cond & 4th rounders this year. The other half has spent the Chiefs 1st. One thought they could get Trent for Surtain

Eleazar
02-25-2005, 04:28 PM
I actually don't want us breaking the bank on Law. He's a big question mark and he alone is not going to save that crap-ass defense.

Get cheaper help at CB and other positions on defense.

CosmicPal
02-25-2005, 04:29 PM
With half a dozen TDs' and 30 some picks- I'd be thrilled to have him in our secondary. Hell, I'll pay the guy to even stand on the sideline to yell at Bartee to turn his head around if it would help.

philfree
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
And on another note the Steelers released 8 year vet Chad Scott. He was injured last year too but he made it back to the field but not as a starter. He did start the last regular game of the season that had no influence on their playoff seeding. Wonder what type fo money he'll command?

PhilFree :arrow:

Rausch
02-25-2005, 04:34 PM
GO GET HIM CARL! :thumb:

:shake:

Chiefnj
02-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Hugh Douglas = Ty Law ROFL Come on....Ty Law has been one of the best at his position for 10 years. He has at least 2 good years left. We only need one year and we are rebuilding. Frigging roll the dice.

I think it's a valid point. Before being traded to Jax Douglas had 3 seasons of 45 + tackles and a total of 37 sacks. He was a dominant DE, then he got paid and hit a wall.

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I think it's a valid point. Before being traded to Jax Douglas had 3 seasons of 45 + tackles and a total of 37 sacks. He was a dominant DE, then he got paid and hit a wall.
The difference is Law was getting paid and still performed.

Rausch
02-25-2005, 04:39 PM
And on another note the Steelers released 8 year vet Chad Scott. He was injured last year too but he made it back to the field but not as a starter. He did start the last regular game of the season that had no influence on their playoff seeding. Wonder what type fo money he'll command?

You don't want a Steelers CB. :shake:

philfree
02-25-2005, 04:42 PM
You don't want a Steelers CB. :shake:

Why? What am I missing there? I was thinking he could be a #2 FA CB pick up if he's economical.

Rausch
02-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Why? What am I missing there? I was thinking he could be a #2 FA CB pick up if he's economical.

Hell no! Their DB's (save Palomalualowalu) are horrible. Just two years ago they rivaled us for easiest team to pass on. The only thing that helped them this year was the return of their old DC and their pass rush.

The Pats exposed their secondary for what it is...

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 04:46 PM

Scott was a serviceable CB, but he was benched behind Williams by the end of the year. Williams is pretty mediocre. If he couldn't beat out Williams, I dunno....

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 04:48 PM
I'd pass on Scott as well. The guy has struggled his entire career.

philfree
02-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Just looking at the possibilities.

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Hell no! Their DB's (save Palomalualowalu) are horrible. Just two years ago they rivaled us for easiest team to pass on. The only thing that helped them this year was the return of their old DC and their pass rush.

The Pats exposed their secondary for what it is...

Polamalu is very good. Their front 7 is dominant, and what causes problems for opposing defenses. Their secondary ain't great.

HolmeZz
02-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Been surfing a lot of boards around the net in the past hour. It seems like a consensus of people will be shocked if he DOESN'T end up in Kansas City. I feel pretty good about our chances.

Amnorix
02-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Been surfing a lot of boards around the net in the past hour. It seems like a consensus of people will be shocked if he DOESN'T end up in Kansas City. I feel pretty good about our chances.

:hmmm: Well, if logic dictates he must end up in Kansas City, and if Carl is still running the show, doesn't that mean....?

dirk digler
02-25-2005, 04:56 PM

I will be shocked if ends up here. I mean stunned. I just don't have any faith in CP spending that kind of jack on Ty Law plus he hates Fatlock so anything to keep his big mouth shut.

Logical
02-25-2005, 05:00 PM

I completely understand this, I felt and sort of still feel the same way about Whiney Gonzalez when he was whining about pro basketball and getting top 5 WR money to get his new contract. Law's whining really was worse than that IMO.

HolmeZz
02-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Call me nieve, but I really don't think Ty's THAT wrapped up in money. If he was, he should know the Chiefs well enough to not have us on his list of top destinations. ;)

I don't think we'd have to break the bank to get him and I think Ty realizes that it's going to take more than just adding him to turn this D around. As long as he understands that, he'd be much more likely to take less money so that we could spend money on other FAs.

I live in New England and have gotten the chance to follow Law pretty well. I don't think he's half as bad as Pats fans try to make him out to be.

beer bacon
02-25-2005, 05:02 PM

What boards?

Alphaman
02-25-2005, 05:06 PM
thanks and lets go get him. Is there a way we can get two corners

smoot and law or is that a pipe dream :thumb:

PIPE DREAM!!!

If the Chiefs can get Law and a CB in the 1st round, that would be ideal (taking the cap into consideration)

Thig Lyfe
02-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Get Law... instant gratification. The window is just about shut; we can't worry about long-term stuff here. We're in it for the now.

suds79
02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
I know we're in a win now mode but I can't get over how it just makes more sense to get Smoot instead.

Smoot is almost at good, way younger and would probably cost less. We'd be set with a legit #1 corner for years.

I just think Ty Law could be a guy we'd be talking about in a year saying "Where did it all go? This guy used to be all world."

Nightfyre
02-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Im still all about getting a couple of Dominant LBs and picking up a couple vet corners and trading down in the draft, picking up a DE in the first, a CB in the second, and a S with the extra pick.... :shrug: Corners are worthless and becoming moreso as the NFL makes rules.

HC_Chief
02-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Smoot is almost at good

No way. He's on a completely different level than Law. In FA this year, Law & Surtain are the top-tier, forllowed by Lucas and Smoot on the next wrung down.

Smoot definitely is younger... though I'd prefer quality to quantity (when it comes to years in service). Besides, Smoot thinks he's worth as much as his buddy Champ Bailey. HA!

TRR
02-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Ty Law is one of the toughest CB's in the league. He fits Gun's profile of a CB to a T. Hopefully we can get Law in here. I'm sure hsi 31 year old body is fairly rested from all the time he spent on the sideline this season.

We need a leader on Defense. Ty Law fits the bill. Fred Smoot does not. Although I will take both of them.

Wallcrawler
02-25-2005, 05:30 PM
I know we're in a win now mode but I can't get over how it just makes more sense to get Smoot instead.

Smoot is almost at good, way younger and would probably cost less. We'd be set with a legit #1 corner for years.

I just think Ty Law could be a guy we'd be talking about in a year saying "Where did it all go? This guy used to be all world."

Yep.

Ty Law is only a temporary fix. At 31 years old, he doesnt have too long before the Chiefs will be asking him to make the move to safety, because he cant man up on people like he could in his prime.

If we can get Ty Law, and still Adequately address the other issues on this defense, then I would be happy with just a temporary fix at corner. He has one good year, probably two left where he can play at the pro bowl level he has played at. If he fully recovers from the foot injury that is.

But I think it would be better to try to land a guy like Smoot, or any of the other younger impact corners who will still be playing their position at the top of their game for the next 4 or 5 years, so that when the rebuilding process does come around again, we dont have to replace as many players.

Ty Law will most likely want a bigtime salary, so if the Chiefs dont get him, I wont lose any sleep over it. The defense has too many issues to waste all the cap space on only one position, especially a 31 year old filling the position.

Thig Lyfe
02-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Besides, Smoot thinks he's worth as much as his buddy Champ Bailey. HA!

Champ Bailey isn't worth as much as Champ Bailey.

Red Dawg
02-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Carl, this is your one chance to not end your Chiefs career a schmuck.

Rausch
02-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Get Law... instant gratification. The window is just about shut; we can't worry about long-term stuff here. We're in it for the now.

For this team there really is no tommorow...

Nightfyre
02-25-2005, 05:52 PM
instant gratification. The window is just about shut; we can't worry about long-term stuff here. We're in it for the now.
yeah... thats what she said.

Red Dawg
02-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Law will have a great year where ever he goes. He will be out to prove the Pats wrong and the league wrong by thinking corners have lost value. He's a team player and a leader. I will be thrilled if we could land this guy.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Law's agent....Carl Poston

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_PATRIOTS_LAW_RELEASED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=SPORTS

HolmeZz
02-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I've heard the Postons are trouble. :shake:

brent102fire
02-25-2005, 06:31 PM
It will never happen...don't get your hopes up! :shake:

Rausch
02-25-2005, 06:35 PM
It will never happen...don't get your hopes up! :shake:

Only frogs surrender before the battle even starts...

ChiefsCountry
02-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Law would be nice, then I say sign a guy like Renaldo Hill, a player who has been a starter but will be a nice nickelback when Warfield gets back. Also provides safety if Law doesn't heal.

TEX
02-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Yep.

Ty Law is only a temporary fix. At 31 years old, he doesnt have too long before the Chiefs will be asking him to make the move to safety, because he cant man up on people like he could in his prime.

If we can get Ty Law, and still Adequately address the other issues on this defense, then I would be happy with just a temporary fix at corner. He has one good year, probably two left where he can play at the pro bowl level he has played at. If he fully recovers from the foot injury that is.

But I think it would be better to try to land a guy like Smoot, or any of the other younger impact corners who will still be playing their position at the top of their game for the next 4 or 5 years, so that when the rebuilding process does come around again, we dont have to replace as many players.

Ty Law will most likely want a bigtime salary, so if the Chiefs dont get him, I wont lose any sleep over it. The defense has too many issues to waste all the cap space on only one position, especially a 31 year old filling the position.

Yep. I completely agree.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
No thanks. Too old, damaged goods. I want Smoot. Smoot will be around longer than 2-3 years.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2005, 07:25 PM
So what are you saying?

not according to everyone

several on this board seem to think and Vermeil EVEN said that some free agents JUST DON'T WANT TO COME HERE.

brent102fire
02-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I would rather see Smoot than Law. Smoot has more years ahead of him.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2005, 08:05 PM
not according to everyone

several on this board seem to think and Vermeil EVEN said that some free agents JUST DON'T WANT TO COME HERE.

I don't think that is true, that's Chiefs translation for "We think you fans and the media are dumb, we really don't want to spend the money."

Show any FA the money, and he'll go to Antartica to play.

Bowser
02-25-2005, 08:13 PM
For those doubting on Law for his age, how old was James Hasty when he got to town? I'm more concerned about his injury than his age.

LiL stumppy
02-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Bah,I want Smoot,not Law

greeneggsandham
02-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Bah,I want Smoot,not Law

Smoot might cost more than he's worth. Law is a shutdown CB.

bringbackmarty
02-25-2005, 08:56 PM

holy shit i agree.

bringbackmarty
02-25-2005, 08:56 PM
completely

TEX
02-25-2005, 09:15 PM
For those doubting on Law for his age, how old was James Hasty when he got to town? I'm more concerned about his injury than his age.

Me too. A player, and a CB especially, doesn't all of a sudden "lose it." They seem to get little nagging injuries here and there that sidelines them for periods of time. And sometimes they never quite get back to where they were. That might be the case with Law. No doubt he can play and there's no doubt that he's one of the top 5 CB's in the league when healthy, but... :hmmm:

Thig Lyfe
02-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Ty Law was able to neutralize Peyton Manning... which I'm pretty sure nobody associated with the Chiefs organization can do.

tomahawk kid
02-25-2005, 09:51 PM
If Ty Law, had 2 good wheels I'd be all for this.

Given that he isn't even walking yet, I can't get behind it 100%.

I think the smart money here is with Smoot.

He's younger, cheaper and his best football should be ahead of him.

Having said that, I did hear Law on 610 this afternoon and it was hard NOT to get fired up.

Chief Roundup
02-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Well here we go. I don't know if I want Law either due to the injury and money issues.

BigRedChief
02-25-2005, 10:08 PM
I did hear Law on 610 this afternoon and it was hard NOT to get fired up.
No Chit man. The dude was on the phone and he had the patrons of the bar cheering for him and his words. He knows how to speak, to convey his thoughts and says it with conviction. If you guys didnt hear it you should listen to it. He would fire up that locker room in no time flat. He's got the chops and 3 Super Bowls rings to back it up. Who cares if smoot is around in 2006? We are rebuilding and we will suck. This is it. Run to the Super Bowl Now! Pay the cap later.

redsurfer11
02-25-2005, 10:24 PM
I can't say I don't care. I'd definitely rather have him than not have him. But at a $12.5M cap charge (like 15% of the cap), and having already proved we can beat the best offenses in the NFL (Colts, etc.) and the Super Bowl without him, it would be foolish to keep him.

We will sign a mid-level CB in free agency, and draft another CB within the top 3 rounds, IMHO. It's not a problem in terms of the Patriots being a very good team.

Also -- feel free to name even one CB from the old Parcells Giants teams.... Belichick doesn't rely on great cornerbacks to run his SB winning defenses...

But, they are nice to have around. ROFL

Mark Collins was All-Pro and Elvis 'Toast" Patterson was The origional Toast. It took two years before Patterson became a respectable cornerback, the nickname 'Toast' stayed for his career. I'll give the Patriots credit for surviving this year with sub-par cornerbacks. But, next year you'll wish you had your star players back. They gave up too many big plays for your liking, and you know it. Championship teams crumble one piece at a time.

Manila-Chief
02-26-2005, 02:10 AM
No Chit man. The dude was on the phone and he had the patrons of the bar cheering for him and his words. He knows how to speak, to convey his thoughts and says it with conviction. If you guys didnt hear it you should listen to it. He would fire up that locker room in no time flat. He's got the chops and 3 Super Bowls rings to back it up. Who cares if smoot is around in 2006? We are rebuilding and we will suck. This is it. Run to the Super Bowl Now! Pay the cap later.

Good post. I fully agree about going for the gold this coming season. We can draft Carlos Rogers for the rebuilding process. The future is now. Law will help us in lots of ways. Now, I wouldn't have said that 3 years ago but we should be in an urgent mode for this season. Law has been there done that. Plus, he will have insight into stopping N.E.'s O.

The only reason I would not sign him is the injury. If he is hurt ... of course ... he can't help us. But, if he is healthy then he is the one I want. I know money may be a problems but I know Kingless can become the King by structuring his contract in such a way that it will be a minimial cap hit.

What is Smoot's status? Is he an URFA? Or is there just spectulation that he may be released.

My question, why has Kingless not already contacted him. I believe he can be signed anytime?