PDA

View Full Version : Anyone PayPal Verified?

Otter
02-25-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm reaching my spending limit and have a real problem with giving my bank account numbers to anyone.

If your verified, any problems? Is it worth giving them that info?

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I've used it with them numerous times over the past year or so; I like it better than using a credit card. :thumb:

It's faster; more convenient. For me, I have it linked to an account I keep limited funds in though. You may not wanna link it to your Main account. :hmmm:

Otter
02-25-2005, 05:03 PM
There's no way in hell I'll ever get verified. Something goes wrong and a charge shows up on my credit card that doesn't belong, I can call up Discover and have it taken care of before it costs me real money. They have access to my checking account... boom, money's gone. Maybe I'll get it back, but fact remains it would have potential to put me in a tight spot for awhile.

I don't know why they've got such a hardon for my checking account details anyway. Why isn't my credit card information good enough? Hell, my limit on my credit card is higher than my checking account balance.

Agree.

I just opened up another account with a different e-mail address and a different credit card number and it worked fine.

Fook them, their not getting my bank info.

mikey23545
02-25-2005, 05:07 PM
I've been verified forever with no problem. People act incredibly silly about such things. Internet security is almost airtight except in cases of outright idiocy.

You are 1,000,000 times more likely to get abused by the waitress who gets your CC # when you pay for your meal then by a hacker.

FloridaChief
02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm not giving her my checking account details either.

How the hell do you pay for your meals at Denny's, then?

FloridaChief
02-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Cunnilingus

Then how the hell do you pay for your cunnilingus at Denny's?

Otter
02-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Cunnilingus

Breath mint sir?

Taco John
02-25-2005, 05:23 PM
I haven't had a problem.

Talisman
02-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Why not get verified? They make two small deposits in your bank account and then you verify the amounts. The last account I verified I made 28 cents ABSOLUTELY FREE!

In the past year I have opened up enough accounts to pay off my car. I think I might quit my job on Monday.

Phobia
02-25-2005, 05:28 PM
You are 1,000,000 times more likely to get abused by the waitress who gets your CC # when you pay for your meal then by a hacker.

I've been ripped off in that manner by a waitress and been verified by paypal for several years without issue.

Phobia
02-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Heh... I'm guessing you had it coming.

Waitresses like the attention.

Bwana
02-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Yep, no issues.

HemiEd
02-25-2005, 05:52 PM
I was verified and closed the account after reading this information. http://www.paypalsucks.com/ However I did not have a problem myself.

Otter
02-25-2005, 05:57 PM
I was verified and closed the account after reading this information. http://www.paypalsucks.com/ However I did not have a problem myself.

Holy shit...thanks!

mikey23545
02-25-2005, 06:12 PM

Anyone with even a small attention span would have noticed the guy is offering a competing service to PayPal....I bet he's a real accurate source for info....

For crying out loud, you guys obviously think PayPal is some little fly-by-night phishing scam.

Pezman
02-25-2005, 06:15 PM
So, what exactly is the benefit of becoming verified anyway besides opening yourself to a bank account? I know there is a cap for being unverified but meh... I'd rather rotate cards and email addy's rather than give out more info than I have to.

I dont suppose there is a decent alternative online to Paypal is there?

mikey23545
02-25-2005, 06:17 PM
So, what exactly is the benefit of becoming verified anyway besides opening yourself to a bank account? I know there is a cap for being unverified but meh... I'd rather rotate cards and email addy's rather than give out more info than I have to.

I dont suppose there is a decent alternative online to Paypal is there?

Don't you feel kinda uncomfortable with your bank knowing your bank account number?

HemiEd
02-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Anyone with even a small attention span would have noticed the guy is offering a competing service to PayPal....I bet he's a real accurate source for info....

For crying out loud, you guys obviously think PayPal is some little fly-by-night phishing scam.

I posted this site as a source that I used as a guideline to dig deeper myself. I have had no problem with Pay Pal. However, at the time, I am not sure it is still true: they were not controlled by our banking laws, period. Since I withdrew my verification they have been purchased by Ebay, things may be different. I spent several days investigating this, much attention span was deployed..

Otter
02-25-2005, 06:34 PM
It's not that I necessarily believe PayPal is some untrustworthy company, I just always prefer to use a credit card. Why give out more information than is necessary to accomplish my goal? "It's safe. Trust them." is an unsatisfactory answer to, "Why do they want this information in the first place?"

Exactly. Why do they need my bank numbers for me to wire $90 to a friend in Texas?

Still haven't heard a satasfactory answer from anyone on this including them.

Don't you feel kinda uncomfortable with your bank knowing your bank account number?

That's just plain stupid. What their asking is like a gym saying they need access to my medical records so I can use their treadmill.

BS

DTLB58
02-25-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm reaching my spending limit and have a real problem with giving my bank account numbers to anyone.

My and wife both canceled our paypal accounts over a year ago when her account was stolen TWICE in 3 months!

If you have a problem already with given out bank account numbers, DON'T use Paypal!

Talisman
02-25-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm verified b/c I am taking money in and need an easy way to transfer it back to my bank account when it reaches a certain amount. If you are mainly spending and only accepting payment once an a while, it's probably not as much of a necessity.

Talisman
02-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Auctioning your wife's virginity on ebay again?
All you need is a thimble of blood and they buy it every time.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2005, 07:19 PM

open a seperate bank account and only put enough in it to cover the stuff you buy.

i have 2 accounts in one bank so i can just transfer funds whenever i need.

anything goes wrong they only get spare change leftover from purchases.

jspchief
02-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Seriously, though... I'd love to hear an explanation of why Paypal wants my checking account information. Why does that "verify" me any more than a valid credit card?

Because it's a hell of a lot easier to obtain a fraudulent credit card than it is a fraudulent bank account.

LocoChiefsFan
02-25-2005, 08:56 PM
I've been verified for about a year with no problems.

StcChief
02-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Nope seperate account.

PastorMikH
02-26-2005, 01:47 AM
I set up a aternate checking account that I keep a limited amount of funds in. I use that account as my paypal banking account. That way, if the account does get ripped off, it will be for less than what I keep in the account, because I don't keep much in there. If someone were to try and transfer more than what is in the checking account, Paypal will automatically switch to the CC I have backing up the account and charge it instead of the bank account, in which case I call Discover and tell them the purchase for $15,000 wasn't mine and let them track it down.

FWIW, I believe the reason Paypal wants to use bank accounts instead of CCs is because Credit cards charge them for the service as well. Went into a local tire guy this last week to buy batteries for my golf cart. Planned on putting them on the Discover card. We're sitting there chatting about the batteries and such and I ask him if he takes discover. He said he didn't because they charge him 5% on every transaction which can add up pretty fast in his shop. I know that Visa and MC charge something like 3% from a merchant account we used to have with a home-based business. So, if paypal can get transfers directly from your bank account, they save themselves $.

elvomito
02-26-2005, 02:20 AM
i remember when paypal first came out... i had signed up with my bank account... and the way they verified it was to make 2 small deposits into my account, and i had to tell them the amounts.

i wonder how long it took them to figure out that wasn't the best way to make money.

Fire Me Boy!
02-26-2005, 02:31 AM
I've been verified for a couple of years, maybe longer... never had a problem. PayPal knows what's going on... other sites like it I wouldn't trust, but PayPal I trust.

DTLB58
02-26-2005, 02:20 PM
I've been verified for a couple of years, maybe longer... never had a problem. PayPal knows what's going on... other sites like it I wouldn't trust, but PayPal I trust.

We trusted Paypal to until my wifes account was stolen twice and somebody went shopping using her bank account info one Sunday afternoon and spent about $800 and put our life into a tailspin for a day or two. Not worth it. :shake:

unlurking
02-26-2005, 02:38 PM
hmmm

Don't use PayPal or eBay.

Online garage sales aren't my cup of tea I guess! ;)

I do have separate CCs I use for online purchases, for much the same reason ENDelt260 stated, because they include fraud protection and doesn't come out of my liquid assets if it is fraudulent. As others have stated, setting up a secondary bank account with limited funds would be a similar mitigation tactic, albeit akin to a "pre-pay" credit card. My only recommendation is that you use a totally separate bank. If you get "overdrawn" for fraudulent reasons or have any kind of overdraft protection, any other accounts with the same bank are liable to cover that amount.