PDA

View Full Version : KC Locals: Has Gun said ANYTHING about his players?

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2005, 10:50 PM
I mean, most of us here, seem to think...Bartee, Barber, Holliday and Maz are likely gone; that Jones, Connet, and McCleon are taking up valuable roster space; and that, although Woods and Hicks will likely be back-- they shouldn't be...

Has anyone heard what Gun thinks?

I mean, I'm an outa towner, but from what I've seen on this board, the Star, and elsewhere....Gun has been really tight-lipped. Anyone have any insights, from the local media in KC, for us out-of-towners? :hmmm:

Fire Me Boy!
02-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Gun's probably keeping his mouth shut because he doesn't want to alienate any of his current players... he needs them to buy into his scheme and play with conviction next year and if he calls some guys out as wanting to get rid of them, and they don't pull the trigger they won't play for him.

Phobia
02-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Gun's probably keeping his mouth shut because he doesn't want to alienate any of his current players... he needs them to buy into his scheme and play with conviction next year and if he calls some guys out as wanting to get rid of them, and they don't pull the trigger they won't play for him.

Oh bullshit. Gunther has never been shy about saying WTF is on his mind. DV probably has him under a gag order. Have you ever notice there are no whistleblowers in the NFL? Nobody badmouths anybody else? It's the craziest thing I've ever seen.

Fire Me Boy!
02-25-2005, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he talks AFTER they've made their moves, but right now isn't the time... IMO.

I could be wrong...

Phobia
02-25-2005, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he talks AFTER they've made their moves, but right now isn't the time... IMO.

I could be wrong...

That's when he has permission, presumably. He'll speak few times this offseason, - whenever somebody from the defense is cut, after the draft, after we pickup any defensive free agents, and TC.

Logical
02-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Not being a smartass but who is Connet?

Fire Me Boy!
02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
That's when he has permission, presumably. He'll speak few times this offseason, - whenever somebody from the defense is cut, after the draft, after we pickup any defensive free agents, and TC.
I miss GC's press conferences... I wouldn't mind him being head coach again just for the post-game PCs. Fun stuff hearing what he had to say, then even more fun trying to figure out exactly what it meant... :)

Fire Me Boy!
02-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Scott Connet (#41, IIRC), safety.

Phobia
02-25-2005, 11:13 PM

He's nobody - Rich Scanlon's brother. http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/scott_connot/

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2005, 11:15 PM

Sorry; it's Connot....he's on the depth chart at S behind Woods, Wesley, Harts, and Pile... :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2005, 11:17 PM

You think Gun is being self-disciplined, out of respect for DV; or you think he's bitin' his tongue?

I'm just very surprised there has been "nada" on Gun's 'thoughts' since the end of the regular season. :banghead:

morphius
02-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Maybe, just maybe, he is doing lots of talking about the players, but to people that make he decisions and not to the media. Just a guess...

teedubya
02-25-2005, 11:25 PM
News from 1 Arrowhead Drive:

Gunther told to STFU and STFD. That is all.

Phobia
02-25-2005, 11:26 PM
You think Gun is being self-disciplined, out of respect for DV; or you think he's bitin' his tongue?

I'm just very surprised there has been "nada" on Gun's 'thoughts' since the end of the regular season. :banghead:

I think he's being quiet out of respect for his paycheck and career.

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Maybe, just maybe, he is doing lots of talking about the players, but to people that make he decisions and not to the media. Just a guess...

I sure hope you are right, Morph. And I hope they are fuggin' LISTENING....DV, CP, Stiles, and the rest of the jack-offs in the scouting department....and front office.

This Ty Law situation ought to tell us if they are serious about the Lombardi, or whether they are content hosing us fuggin' naive and easily entertained fans who continue to buy season tickets and support their fuggin' FIVE YEAR PLAN.... :banghead:

:shake:

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I think he's being quiet out of respect for his paycheck and career.

Paycheck and career? Do you think he has ambitions of takin' back the reins (instead of AS) after Dick rides off into the sunset next year....?

I mean, frankly, I think he can say what he wants (tactfully) because, afterall....the Titans had "Picasso painting the kitchen," and I don't think he'd have ANY difficulty getting another job....

Unless, of course, he has future "ambitions" or really loves KC as much as he seems too... :hmmm:

nychief
02-25-2005, 11:34 PM
All I know is that he shot his mouth off after he was hired last year..about Hicks and woods and the rest of the geezers he used to coach. all that shit about stopping the run and killing the head later....

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2005, 11:36 PM
All I know is that he shot his mouth off after he was hired last year..about Hicks and woods and the rest of the geezers he used to coach. all that shit about stopping the run and killing the head later....

Good point; I'd forgotten that....maybe he's as embarrased as we are about how that turned out. If so, good....because if I know Gun, I think that means he will be even more determined to Kick Ass this next year.... :hmmm:

Phobia
02-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Paycheck and career? Do you think he has ambitions of takin' back the reins (instead of AS) after Dick rides off into the sunset next year....?

I mean, frankly, I think he can say what he wants (tactfully) because, afterall....the Titans had "Picasso painting the kitchen," and I don't think he'd have ANY difficulty getting another job....

Unless, of course, he has future "ambitions" or really loves KC as much as he seems too... :hmmm:

Hell no. I think he's looking out for the other 31 teams who would like to pay him 7 figures to coach defense.

If the Picasso comment was worth anything, Gun would have been hired away from Tenn a while back.

Chief Roundup
02-26-2005, 12:01 AM
DV probably has him under a gag order. Have you ever notice there are no whistleblowers in the NFL? Nobody badmouths anybody else?
DV probably has him under a "gag order" as he should. Hopefully Gun is learning from this. Maybe if he would of had better control of himself when he was our head coach and not said things like he did his players would of played for him instead of quiting on him.
Yeah there aren't any whistleblowers or badmouthing going on until they leave and then they will let it fly a little.

Logical
02-26-2005, 12:02 AM
My belief is that a condition of his rehiring was not to comment publicly, if you all remember some of the strange comments he made as HC I could see why the front office would want that kind of control over him.

Mr. Kotter
02-26-2005, 12:07 AM
My belief is that a condition of his rehiring was not to comment publicly, if you all remember some of the strange comments he made as HC I could see why the front office would want that kind of control over him.

I remember him being kind of rambling and incoherent, at times...but I appreciated his candor; I miss that part. You think asking for candor without the bizzaro stuff is askin' too much? :hmmm:

Logical
02-26-2005, 12:37 AM
I remember him being kind of rambling and incoherent, at times...but I appreciated his candor; I miss that part. You think asking for candor without the bizzaro stuff is askin' too much? :hmmm:I think it was more the mood swings in those ramblings like saying he was thinking of quitting on the team that got him muzzled.

JakeT
02-26-2005, 06:26 PM
I think one of Gun's weaknesses is he is too loyal to people just as DV is. When he was head coach he kept the three stooges around. And now he isn't making any noise about getting rid of Guinta and other losers. He trust people too much,

|Zach|
02-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I think one of Gun's weaknesses is he is too loyal to people just as DV is. When he was head coach he kept the three stooges around. And now he isn't making any noise about getting rid of Guinta and other losers. He trust people too much,
It isn't his job to say which coeaches should and should not be fired...

Deberg_1990
02-26-2005, 07:43 PM
It isn't his job to say which coeaches should and should not be fired...

exactly. hes not the head coach. hes an assistant. Its his job to be a loyal soldier.

booger
02-26-2005, 10:11 PM
First off, I have no inside info and this is my take on reading between the lines:

DV got his arse chewed out in a defensive meeting the day of his and Carl's season ending press conference. He even admitted as such and said there were some things he didn't realize.

I think first off Gun needs to be left the fock alone and be able to run the show on defense and the rest of the staff has to be on his same page. Going back to when GR left DV's biggest issue with whoever the new DC was going to be was that he had to fit HIM. Meaning the new DC had to fit into what DV wanted as a coach etc.

DV has always said he would let all of his coordinators coach and he would stay out of it for the most part. He did however say there was certain things on defense that teams do that give our offense trouble he would like to see us do on defense. I think for the most part he stays out of the way but with last years troubles he wanted us to play more zone at times. He even admitted to telling Guinta to have them play zone more.

That there really had to piss gun off. He isn't to big on zone unless it has to be used. For the most part I think he was frustrated and wanted to see Bartee, McCleon, and co stay in man press defense to see if they could ever get to the point he wanted his corners to be. Later in the season when all was lost and we had nothing to play for I don't think he really cared how much they got burnt. He figured this is the way he wants his defense and thats how they would play and if they weren't good enough they wouldn't be here next year. I think DV got sick of seeing them get burnt and embarrassed and figured if they could play more zone they wouldn't look so horrible on the field.

At the end of the season there were stories of CP telling DV he should really consider some staff changes especially in the secondary with Guinta and Dean. I think alot of that came from Gun. Well no here we are and no staff changes have been or will be made. Fine. I think the whole time CP was question on why no staff changes and he responded that they were still looking into it the reality was the same staff but hopefully a different approach with doing things Gun's way and for DV to keep his hands off and his mouth shut.

One more example of this is the stupid DLine rotation we have had since DV got here. It got better last year but IMO it is not a GR thing and definatly not a gun thing either. DV has always liked having 9-10 DL on the roster and keeping them fresh. He has said that since the day he was hired in his opening press conference.

I think a big part of Gun's frustration last year was not only having players to teach a new scheme too but also coaches. Then on top of that having the miscommunication and DV sticking his nose were it doesn't belong had to really have him riled up.

The best thing I heard was Gun going ape and telling the players how much of an embarrassment they were and still are on how they were playing. Got the old Gun back instead of the newer softer more patient Gun he was trying to be to fit under DV's coaching profile.

JMO.

warpaint99
02-26-2005, 11:15 PM
I wasn't impressed with GUNTHER as a coach last season.

He didn't have cover guys but he kept pushing his system.

He needed to match system to personel.

Vermeil was right about being wrong with man to man.

booger
02-27-2005, 12:59 AM
The only zone corner we have is McCleon.
Maybe Sapp as well.
Bartee, Warfield, Battle are all former safties who were drafted to play bump and run corner. Leave them on the field and see if they can handle it. That's what Gun was trying to do. He probably blitzed to much and it didn't help with the crappy play from the safeties but pussing out and playing zone with these guys wouldn't have accomplished anything. We tried that during the Robinson era with basically the same players. I have no problem with what Gun did last year. At least now we can sort out some of the sh!t.

JakeT
02-27-2005, 09:40 AM
exactly. hes not the head coach. hes an assistant. Its his job to be a loyal soldier.

I disagree with you guys completely. He's the D coordinator, if he was going to succeed and be a leader he should have come in here and said I'll only take the job if I can do it my way and be in charge of ALL D decisions. I feel for Gun in this way because he lacks the leadership skills to make him a success. Peterman knows this, he knew he could bring Gun in here and have him keep all of Vermiels buddies around. Look at who Gun kept when he was head coach. Gun is a loyal soldier, but he needs to become a leader -- he needs to tell these guys he's going run to do things his way or leave or he will not ever take it to the next level.
-

whoman69
02-27-2005, 10:59 AM
It isn't the job of the defensive coordinator to call out individual players in the media. It is his job to like a fire under their ass in person when they aren't playing up to specs. I have to believe he was doing that. He can though say that some players are going to lose their jobs next year if they don't play as they should. That fact has already been put out by the head coach and GM so the DC should leave it at that. I have a feeling that some of these guys are being set up to lose their job post June 1 so we can spread out the cap hit. Right now, we needed to cut Holliday in order to get money for FA. The others will lose their jobs when we need to sign rookies.