PDA

View Full Version : Covitz: Chiefs may have to wait until Law gets on his feet...

DaWolf
02-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Chiefs may have to wait until Law gets on his feet

Free-agent corner still recovering from surgery

By RANDY COVITZ
link (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11002600.htm)
The Kansas City Star

INDIANAPOLIS — Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson met with Carl Poston, agent for free-agent cornerback Ty Law, and the medical report on Law was not encouraging.

“He's still in a wheelchair from the foot surgery he had,” Peterson said Saturday.

Law, a four-time Pro Bowl cornerback, broke his foot last season and was released by the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots in a salary-cap move Friday.

“He hasn't even begun walking yet,” Peterson said. “He hasn't even got a walking boot on yet. What we would like to do is bring him in for a physical, but right now they're not ready to do that. That's his call, not ours.”

Peterson said that he and Poston discussed several other free agents Friday night. Poston and his brother Kevin represent New York Jets offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie and defensive tackle James Reed, among others.

Peterson said he has also spoken with former Tennessee Titans cornerback Samari Rolle, who last week was released in a salary-cap move, as well as unrestricted free-agent cornerback Andre Dyson of the Titans.

The Chiefs also plan to offer a one-year tender on Monday to linebacker Scott Fujita, a restricted free agent, so the club can match any offers he may receive. The Chiefs have three other restricted free agents — wide receiver Marc Boerigter, fullback Omar Easy and safety Shaunard Harts — and Peterson said, “We may or may not put tenders on them.”

The club has five unrestricted free agents — running back Derrick Blaylock, linebacker Monty Beisel, Pro Bowl deep snapper Kendall Gammon and backup linebackers Quinton Caver and Fred Jones — but they appear to be waiting for the free-agent period to begin Wednesday.

“All of those guys want to go to the market and see what's available,” Peterson said, “and I think we owe them the right to do that.”

Even though some recently released players such as Law, Tennessee wide receiver Derrick Mason, Titans defensive lineman Kevin Carter, and even wide receiver Jerry Rice are considered street free agents and don't have to wait until March 2 to sign with new teams, Peterson said he doesn't see them signing contracts immediately.

“What matters there is their agents,” Peterson said, “and some of them dictate to the player, “I want you to wait and go out and do the tour' or ‘I think this is the team for you, and let's try to cut a deal right now.' It's the agents who dictate it.”

• SLOW TIME FOR CLARETT : Running back Maurice Clarett of Ohio State, who has not played football for two years because of off-field issues, turned in disappointing times in the 40-yard dash Saturday.

Clarett, who made an unsuccessful attempt at challenging the NFL draft eligibility rules last season, ran a slow 4.89 seconds in his first attempt. He improved to 4.72 in his second run.

The five fastest times by the first group of running backs were: J.J. Arrington, California, 4.46; Ronnie Brown, Auburn 4.48; DeAndra Cobb, Michigan State 4.49; and Ryan Grant, Notre Dame, and Anthony Davis, Wisconsin, 4.54 each.

• INCOGNITO HURT: Former Nebraska center Richie Incognito, who withdrew from school after being suspended from the team for disciplinary reasons last fall, was injured after posting the best 40-yard dash for offensive linemen. After running a 4.90, Incognito suffered a knee injury during pass-rush drills.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-27-2005, 02:08 AM
-I don't think the Chiefs want Law, I don't blame them.

-Speaking to Dyson and Rolle was good, and what was even better was that he gave no specifics to Covitz, I think that means something.

-Playing the game of "it's the agent" sounds like same ole' Carl and his ego.

-Clarrett threw away his opportunity, IMO, by being lazy and trying to get out of school earlier than when players usually come out.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-27-2005, 02:17 AM
Ty Law- Give me $13 million.

Carl- STFU.

Ty Law- I can roll faster than anyone on a wheelchair in the history of...wheelchairs.

Carl- STFU.

Ty Law- I'll be the best cheerleader you guys have...and I'll be on the sidelines with my bling bling in a wheelchair.

Carl- STFU.

Ty Law- I'll cheer for free and play for $1,000 because no one else wants me...in a wheelchair.

Carl- Welcome aboard.

Rain Man
02-27-2005, 02:41 AM
I know our defense is bad, but it's not quite bad enough to sign a guy in a wheelchair. Maybe one more year under Robinson, and we'd be there.

Seriously, they need some indication that this guy will be able to play next year. I don't worry about a foot like I would a knee or a hip, but still...let's make sure he can run before we blow up our salary cap for him.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-27-2005, 02:47 AM
Once again, great reporting by a Star reporter. This guy doesn't even mention anything about a possible trade with the Dolphins. Way to get the scoop!

booger
02-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Hopefully they tender Boerigter. I don't really care one way or another on Harts. He is ok but replacable and hopefully the Omar Easy experiment is over.

Archie Bunker
02-27-2005, 03:00 AM
I am drooling at the thought of Surtain and Rolle. I can dream cant I?

DaWolf
02-27-2005, 03:07 AM
I'm just wary of anything dealing with the Postons. Law may be out there for a while if the Poston's past dealings are any indication. They're probably gonna try to get as many teams involved for him as they can. Meanwhile I envision Carl wanting to move fast to fill the holes he can before the draft, like he tried to do 2 years ago.

If the Law thing drags on, I wouldn't be surprised to see Al Davis jump into the fray...

elvomito
02-27-2005, 04:29 AM
i view carls negativity as a sign of being equally interested.

old_geezer
02-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Maybe this old geezer is just jaded from so many years of watching Carl "negotiate" with free agents, but I believe the members of ChiefsPlanet are setting themselves up for a huge dissapointment.

IMO King Carl will show some interest but in the end it will just be "too expensive" or they were "just using us to drive up their price". Much will be said but only 2nd tier free agents will be signed to shore up the worst defense in the history of the game (and I can just see Coach Dick for brains saying something to the effect of "Sure, we're willing to sign Law or Surtain to a reasonable contract; but by golly they're going to have to come in and win that job from Mr. Bartee. After all, it's Williams job now and we're not going to just give it to someone else.). :banghead:

HemiEd
02-27-2005, 07:13 AM
I would guess the reason that nothing was said about the Surtain deal is that it is probably the one he is really working on and has a chance to make happen.

tomahawk kid
02-27-2005, 07:14 AM
After reading this, I could see them going after Rolle and Surtain but not Law.

IMO there's not way Carl is going to sign this gut until he can at least WALK.

I'm still hoping that the Chiefs take a look at Smoot, when and if he becomes available.

the Talking Can
02-27-2005, 07:45 AM

no doubt, could we seriously afford them both though?

I'd love it if Warfield were our nickle back.

mikey23545
02-27-2005, 07:58 AM
no doubt, could we seriously afford them both though?

I'd love it if Warfield were our nickle back.

What, no love for the Golf Cart Guru, that Wizard of Wheelchairs, Ty Law?....You disappoint me, Can.....

the Talking Can
02-27-2005, 08:00 AM
What, no love for the Golf Cart Guru, that Wizard of Wheelchairs, Ty Law?....You disappoint me, Can.....

sigh.....

Bob Dole
02-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Strange. One would have thought that the "he's still in a wheelchair" story would have been included in the media reports before now.

Skip Towne
02-27-2005, 08:40 AM
I'll bet Law can get more interceptions in a wheelchair than Bartee can on foot.

2bikemike
02-27-2005, 08:52 AM
The club has five unrestricted free agents — running back Derrick Blaylock, linebacker Monty Beisel, Pro Bowl deep snapper Kendall Gammon and backup linebackers Quinton Caver and Fred Jones — but they appear to be waiting for the free-agent period to begin Wednesday.

“All of those guys want to go to the market and see what's available,” Peterson said, “and I think we owe them the right to do that.”

All those guys can walk with the exception of Gammon. Better get that dude signed up now! He is money on the long snaps and I am not ready to turn that over to the wild man from the hills.

2bikemike
02-27-2005, 08:54 AM
I'll bet Law can get more interceptions in a wheelchair than Bartee can on foot.

Law has forgot more about playing corner than Burntree will ever know. So you are probably correct.

mikey23545
02-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Law has forgot more about playing corner than Burntree will ever know. So you are probably correct.

The wheelchair by itself could probably get more interceptions than Bartee.

Red Dawg
02-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Still in a wheelchair? That means he would all off season programs with the team. We should look elsewhere even though I would still be very excited to have him.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-27-2005, 10:30 AM

that would be the Chiefs' NDN defense...No Down the field Now:)

htismaqe
02-27-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm glad Carl isn't interested in giving a $15M bonus to a guy in a WHEELCHAIR.

Wallcrawler
02-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Man, off-field issues aside, I think Samari Rolle would be awesome.

He is one of the very best coverage corners out there.

But, Im really kinda tired as well of the "profile". Im thinking that's why our defense isnt really that scary, because none of them have any attitude or capacity for violence.

We got a bunch of nice guys who enjoy getting together over at coach Vermiel's house, complimenting his wife's cooking and drinking wine.

We could really use a few "Angry" defensive players who have some off-field aggression that they need to vent on gameday, and if Samari Rolle could envision the ball carriers as his mouthy wife yammering in his ear to help him layeth the smacketh down on their asses, hey, Im all for it.

I think Dick has turned our defensive guys soft with all this "I love you, you love me, and we're not ashamed to say it" crap.

Rausch
02-27-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm glad Carl isn't interested in giving a $15M bonus to a guy in a WHEELCHAIR.

If he can't even walk right now I'm having a hart time seeing the guy running at full speed in 2 months...

PHOG
02-27-2005, 11:12 AM
The wheelchair by itself could probably get more interceptions than Bartee.
Without a doubt. :LOL:

Bowser
02-27-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm still shaking my head at how a guy going into his sixth year playing corner hasn't been able to come up with at least ONE trash INT somewhere along the way.

I'm even more amazed at how this player could work himself into a position of being a priority to get re-signed in the offseason.

:shake: See?

whoman69
02-27-2005, 11:21 AM
I would still prefer if we did not have to give up draft picks to get a CB. We are still going to have holes that need filled after we are done with FA signings that need to be taken by rookies. The more high quality rookies we have, the better for our team. For example, we will need 2 new starting CBs at least for the first four games. We won't have enough for 2 starting CBs, a LB, S, and DE that we need. Some of those are going to have to be rookies. If we sign one FA CB then that means that either have Sapp, Battle or a rookie opposite them for the first four games.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Even though some recently released players such as Law, Tennessee wide receiver Derrick Mason, Titans defensive lineman Kevin Carter, and even wide receiver Jerry Rice are considered street free agents and don't have to wait until March 2 to sign with new teams, Peterson said he doesn't see them signing contracts immediately.

didnt mason sign already??

Sure-Oz
02-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Well screw Law if he can't even walk yet, atleast for now...i dont thinm anyone will take that risk quite yet.