PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs Consider Surtain (and Rolle, Smoot, Lucas, but not really Law)...

DaWolf
02-28-2005, 02:05 AM
Chiefs consider Surtain
link (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11009571.htm)
By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs' search for a cornerback has started with Miami's Patrick Surtain but won't necessarily end there.

President/general manager Carl Peterson talked with the Dolphins this weekend about a trade for Surtain, a two-time Pro Bowler. Complicating matters is that Surtain's contract is heading into its final season and the Chiefs won't make a trade without having him signed for the long term.

Three other veteran cornerbacks, Tennessee's Samari Rolle, Washington's Fred Smoot and Seattle's Ken Lucas, are also on the Chiefs' priority list. Rolle, a favorite of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, was released recently by the Titans in a cost-cutting move.

He could visit with the Chiefs as soon as Wednesday.

“It's in the hands of Miami,'' Peterson said of Surtain. “They're looking for a draft choice, and it's also in the hands of the agent, who's looking for a big contract. We've talked, but the number is too big. If it gets reasonable, then fine.''

Surtain played seven seasons for Miami and played in the Pro Bowl after the 2002 and 2003 seasons.

“He's an All-Pro cornerback,'' Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. “He can play all the variations of coverage. He's a very talented guy. But there's other guys out there, too, and I just don't know right now just how this is going to end up.''

Ty Law, released by New England last week, is not on the Chiefs' priority list, though that could change. Law missed the last half of last season because of a foot injury.

“There's mixed feelings about him,'' Vermeil said. “He's a high-quality player but he's got a long way to go on his rehab.''

The Chiefs plan to tender contract offers to three of their potential restricted free agents. Linebacker Scott Fujita, wide receiver Marc Boerigter and safety Shaunard Harts will receive one-year offers for $656,000.

Each offer would give the Chiefs the right of first refusal if the player signs an offer sheet with another club.

The Chiefs weren't planning to offer a contract to a fourth potential restricted free agent, fullback Omar Easy.

Randy Covitz of The Star's sports staff contributed to this report.

|Zach|
02-28-2005, 02:07 AM
I like this article...they are cold on Law...they are interested in Surtain...but they don't want to over pay TO much for a guy who plays a position that has been marginalized by the NFL.

el borracho
02-28-2005, 02:08 AM
The Chiefs weren't planning to offer a contract to a fourth potential restricted free agent, fullback Omar Easy.
Titus will be crushed.

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Smoot!

el borracho
02-28-2005, 02:09 AM
Smoot!
and Trotter!

ZootedGranny
02-28-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm loving the list of CBs the Chiefs have tagged as priorities. However, I wonder what Surtain's contract demands are, and if they are reasonable compared to other players on the market.

If he's asking for that reported $12-14 million, I hope Carl isn't trying to low ball Surtain. A 2nd round pick is a steal for this guy, and Peterson's going to have to show the money to any CB that comes here, so it might as well be Surtain.

cheeeefs
02-28-2005, 02:12 AM
hey we tendered bo!

that's good news

grandllama
02-28-2005, 02:14 AM
I like the fact they aren't getting our hopes up about Law... ie. Huge Doumbass....

I see very eerie similarities... if he comes here fine, but the board damn near impoded when we didn't sign hugh... and we don't need that again ;)

I'm also happy they tendered Fuji.... now my Jersey is still good ;)

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm loving the list of CBs the Chiefs have tagged as priorities. However, I wonder what Surtain's contract demands are, and if they are reasonable compared to other players on the market.

If he's asking for that reported $12-14 million, I hope Carl isn't trying to low ball Surtain. A 2nd round pick is a steal for this guy, and Peterson's going to have to show the money to any CB that comes here, so it might as well be Surtain.

CP low balls everyone, he thinks it's cool to offer probowlers 1/8 of their value as a starting point for negotiations...then once he's softened them up DV moves in with his "You'll have to compete with Bartee" spiel...at this point said probowl CB is dying to sign.

DaWolf
02-28-2005, 02:20 AM
I dunno if this is new or not but it gives more insight into how we view the Surtain deal:

Chiefs appear closest to a deal for Surtain

By Alex Marvez
Staff Writer
Posted February 28 2005

INDIANAPOLIS -- Kansas City has emerged as the leading suitor for cornerback Patrick Surtain, but a deal Sunday didn't seem imminent.

Chiefs President Carl Peterson told the Kansas City Star that he has spoken with Surtain's agent, Gary Uberstine, about a contract.

But a source said Sunday that the Dolphins haven't recently spoken with Peterson about a trade, indicating contract parameters must be agreed upon first.

"It's in the hands of Miami," Peterson said. "They're looking for a draft choice. And it's also in the hands of the agent, who's looking for a big contract. We've talked, but the number is too big.

"If it gets reasonable, then fine. The first part is do the dollars make sense? Now they're a little high."

Although considered one of the NFL's best cornerbacks, Surtain was given permission to seek a trade last month when it became apparent the Dolphins would not offer a lucrative contract extension.

Surtain has one year remaining on his current deal, which makes reaching agreement on an extension a must for any suitor.

Complicating negotiations is the Chiefs' lack of a third-round draft choice. It's believed Kansas City wants to have two first-day picks in April's draft, which makes it more likely the Chiefs will offer a 2005 mid-round pick and a 2006 first-day pick for Surtain.

The Dolphins would prefer to have a trade finalized by Wednesday so they won't have to carry his $8.4 million salary-cap number into the free-agent signing period.

link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolnotes28feb28,0,599453.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front)

Phobia
02-28-2005, 02:22 AM
The Dolphins would prefer to have a trade finalized by Wednesday so they won't have to carry his $8.4 million salary-cap number into the free-agent signing period.

Which is why you string them, string them, string them and back out. Let them be forced to cut him and save your picks.

el borracho
02-28-2005, 02:26 AM
CP low balls everyone, he thinks it's cool to offer probowlers 1/8 of their value as a starting point for negotiations...then once he's softened them up DV moves in with his "You'll have to compete with Bartee" spiel...at this point said probowl CB is dying to sign.
with someone else. ROFL :deevee:

cheeeefs
02-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Which is why you string them, string them, string them and back out. Let them be forced to cut him and save your picks.

so others can have a crack at him with bigger wallets than king carl

Spicy McHaggis
02-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Complicating negotiations is the Chiefs' lack of a third-round draft choice. It's believed Kansas City wants to have two first-day picks in April's draft, which makes it more likely the Chiefs will offer a 2005 mid-round pick and a 2006 first-day pick for Surtain.

link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolnotes28feb28,0,599453.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front)

I wouldn't mind giving up a fourth rounder this year and a first day next year. Hopefully it will be the 32nd pick of that round anyway. We get a good corner and still get to add some young talent in our areas of need.

booger
02-28-2005, 02:38 AM
Apparently Miami doesn't consider Wednesday as a deadline and would carry his cap # past then but I imagine that is there way of holding strong in negotiations.

As far as the contract, specifically the SB I don't see us wanting to go much above 10 M. Hopefully 11 or 12 would get it done. Sooner or later we are going to have to spend that kinda coin to keep up though, might as well start now.

I could see us offering a 2nd day pick this year plus a conditional 2-3rd next year. With miami looking to rework the Oline, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our linemen mention. We have Bober and Welbourn that might mess with the cap too much for both teams but Brett Williams and Sampson might be in their interest as well.

booger
02-28-2005, 03:05 AM
Looks like their priority list of CB's is right on. The only top tier guy left out is Gary Baxter. Baltimore has mention wanting him back and sliding him back over to safety. Like anyone else he wants to hit the market as a cb because that's were the $$$ is at. @6'2" and 215lbs he would usually be the type of corner we like too. I think they realize that's not the way to go anymore.

Gun's relationship with Rolle helps as well as his legal problems. I would rather have Surtain though. Rolle has missed some time the last couple of years and his #'s are down.

If they think Surtain wants alot of money just wait if they visit with Smoot. I just don't have a good feeling we could sign him.

I like Lucas as well. Almost as much as Surtain and Smoot. I just don't see Seattle wanting to let him go. They have a helluva young talented secondary with Him, Ken Hamlin, Michael Boulware, and Marcus Trufant. Out of all the CB's I could see him as the most likely to resign. Kinda like Anthony Simmons at LB the year we got Barber. He was rumored to be as high on our wishlist as Barber but they kept him in Seattle at the last minute.

The good thing about getting a deal done before FA starts with Surtain would be concentrating on a LB. I'd love to see Hartwell, Trotter, Pierce, or Bell in that order.

One other good thing about having a bunch of 2nd day picks is we could afford to dip into the RFA market as well. That or trade up, but that can be tricky most of the time.

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 03:06 AM
I will gladly pay Miami tuesday for a CB today.

Phobia
02-28-2005, 03:09 AM
One other good thing about having a bunch of 2nd day picks is we could afford to dip into the RFA market as well. That or trade up, but that can be tricky most of the time.

Any RFA able to contribute in KC is likely to be tendered at an upgraded level anyway. RFA is a joke as far as acquiring somebody is concerned. It rarely happens because the team can match. See Holdman.

booger
02-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Any RFA able to contribute in KC is likely to be tendered at an upgraded level anyway. RFA is a joke as far as acquiring somebody is concerned. It rarely happens because the team can match. See Holdman.
True.

It will be interesting to see what kinda Tenders they get in the next few days.

That whole Holdman thing was about as much of a pain in the arse as Douglas was.

tomahawk kid
02-28-2005, 06:56 AM
I wasn't real thrilled when I read this article.

I know that you can't come out and act desperate for a guy, but this sounds like typical King Carl "I'm one tough SOB negotiator" BS.

I don't think there's anyway KC is going to get him for a mid and low round draft pick next season.

Sounds like Gunther is pushing hard for Rolle as well. I'd like to get he and Smoot (of course) at Arrowhead and THEN see if the Chiefs cool on their Surtain interest at all. To me, this sounds like a better strategy than just playing hardball with Surtain without having a "Plan B".

Whitlock is going to have a meltdown today on 610 after reading that Law is not on KC radar (at least, not right now).

Hoover
02-28-2005, 08:48 AM
So why give a pick for Surtain when there are FA CB's that we really like that we do not have to give up picks for?

Unless they are going LB or DE in the first round of the draft. And Trading for Surtain and signing a FA CB like Lucas, but that would mean hell has froze over

bringbackmarty
02-28-2005, 09:45 AM
So why give a pick for Surtain when there are FA CB's that we really like that we do not have to give up picks for?

Unless they are going LB or DE in the first round of the draft. And Trading for Surtain and signing a FA CB like Lucas, but that would mean hell has froze over
well if we trade for him, we don't get into a bidding war with other teams. that is the advantage. We can extend and restructure his current contract, and that gives us more cap flexibility than say signing smoot off of the street for 15 mil. .

Warrior5
02-28-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm really hoping the Chiefs can get Lucas, but since beggars can't be choosers, any one of these guys would be an improvement.

...wants Lucas in R&G

royr17
02-28-2005, 02:45 PM
I want Surtain and Rolle in R&G or Suratin and Lucas in R&G

Mr. Laz
02-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I like this article...they are cold on Law...they are interested in Surtain...but they don't want to over pay TO much for a guy who plays a position that has been marginalized by the NFL.
i hope they just forget about the corner position completely and concentrate on the front 7.

then we can just see what happens ... sort of an experiment

maybe we can just play a 5-4-2

5 defensive lineman, 4 linebackers and 2 safeties ... we'll get to the QB so fast we won't need to cover the WR's at all.