PDA

View Full Version : Samari Rolle close to being off the market

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Redskins close to signing Rolle

By David Elfin and Jody Foldesy
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

INDIANAPOLIS — So much for a quieter free agent season in Washington. The Redskins yesterday were on the verge of landing former Tennessee Titans cornerback Samari Rolle with a typically huge signing bonus, believed to be worth $15Â million, NFL sources said.
The move would reunite Rolle, 28, with Washington assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams, who was defensive coordinator during Rolle's first three seasons, and with former teammate Steve Jackson, who now coaches the Redskins' safeties. It also means Fred Smoot, a starting cornerback the last four seasons, will be allowed to leave as a free agent.

The two holdups apparently were Williams' need to assuage Redskins coach Joe Gibbs about Rolle's Feb. 15 arrest on a domestic assault charge and agent Peter Schaffer's focus on negotiations for two other clients, wide receiver Derrick Mason and defensive end Trevor Pryce. Rolle's deal, however, appeared virtually completed.
Meanwhile, a new contract for left tackle Chris Samuels could be finished in coming days. According to a source familiar with negotiations, the Redskins have boosted their offer substantially, positioning Samuels to receive the biggest signing bonus in club history.
Wide receiver Laveranues Coles and running back Clinton Portis are tied for the signing-bonus mark at $13Â million, but Samuels appears set for a signing bonus in the $16Â million range.
The upshot of Samuels' potential deal is that the Redskins would move into position to trade Coles, perhaps even to the New York Jets. Talks to swap Coles for Jets wide receiver Santana Moss broke down Saturday, but a source said the snag seemed to be the product of contractual posturing.
There is basically no deadline for Samuels' contract and Coles' potential trade, though Washington would like to have both done before Wednesday's start of free agency. However, the club needs to replace Samuels' pact first to have enough salary-cap space to trade Coles.
Washington also is trying to move wide receiver Rod Gardner, and there appears to be legitimate interest around the league. Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Minnesota and San Diego all have had at least preliminary discussions with the Redskins, according to a source. Washington is expected to get a mid- to late-round draft pick.
Rolle's assault charge stemmed from a Valentine's Day altercation that left his wife, Danisha, with a cut over her left eye that required three stitches. Rolle waived his right to a hearing Thursday. His court date is April 6 in Franklin, Tenn., with a maximum sentence of 11 months and 29 days plus a fine.
The 6-foot, 175-pound Rolle, a victim of the Titans' Feb. 21 cost-cutting purge, is fast enough to thrive under the re-emphasized illegal contact rules and tough enough to be effective in run defense. Rolle is believed to be recovered from the left knee injury that ended his 2004 season after 11 games.
A second-round pick out of Florida State in 1998, Rolle became a starter in 1999 as the Titans reached their only Super Bowl. He was an All-Pro when Tennessee had the NFL's top defense in 2000.
"Samari is a rare breed," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's a shutdown corner. He's very smart, very mature and he has some unique athletic skills. He has superb closing ability and explosion. There are a lot of good corners who can run fast, but they can't leap like Samari. He was a big reason for our success in 1999 and 2000."
Smoot, who turns 26 next month, was taken by Washington in the second round in 2001, inheriting Deion Sanders' number (21) and starting job. Coincidentally, Rolle, who also wears 21, was the only player Sanders approved wearing his old No. 2 at Florida State.
Smoot was solid throughout his tenure in Washington, but he never reached Pro Bowl status. What's more, a definite chill developed late last season between Smoot and some members of the organization after contract negotiations stalled. Smoot rejected an offer that was believed to include a $10Â million signing bonus.
"I want to be here bad," Smoot said the last week of the season. "It's not about me wanting to be here. It's all about the front office and do they want me here."
Smoot's departure would leave just seven players from 2001 in Washington: offensive tackles Jon Jansen and Samuels; linebackers LaVar Arrington, Lemar Marshall and Antonio Pierce; receiver Darnerien McCants; and long snapper Ethan Albright.
Pierce and Albright will join Smoot as free agents Wednesday, but the team wants to retain both. McCants doesn't seem to be in Gibbs' plans.
•Jody Foldesy reported from Washington.

Bootlegged
02-28-2005, 08:11 AM
We won't sign a single, top-flight CB this offseason. CP and Lamar are too cheap. We may get a 2nd tier, slight upgrade, but not the top 3.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 08:13 AM
We won't sign a single, top-flight CB this offseason. CP and Lamar are too cheap. We may get a 2nd tier, slight upgrade, but not the top 3.
I would consider Surtain a top-tier corner. If we land him, I'll give Carl credit for the move, but he better get this wrapped up, with other corners already close to signing with other teams.

The Bad Guy
02-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I don't want Rolle, but the Chiefs have had about 6 days to bring him in and they aren't doing so until Wednesday according to Teicher's article.

Their urgency is astounding.

Bootlegged
02-28-2005, 08:21 AM
I would consider Surtain a top-tier corner. If we land him, I'll give Carl credit for the move, but he better get this wrapped up, with other corners already close to signing with other teams.

I would love to land Surtain, but the deal won't get done. CP is more concerned with his own negotiating toughness than actually landing a big-time player.

tomahawk kid
02-28-2005, 08:22 AM
I don't want Rolle, but the Chiefs have had about 6 days to bring him in and they aren't doing so until Wednesday according to Teicher's article.

Isn't it though.

I mentioned in another thread (referencing Surtain), that it sounds like Carl is up to his typical BS.

His ego is going to end of costing this organization AGAIN this year if he's not careful.

Eleazar
02-28-2005, 08:24 AM

It may just be that they are targeting someone else. Just a thought... as much as I'd like my team to compete in a bidding war with Dan Snyder when there are other perfectly viable options out there...

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Wednesday is too late. Why do they take this approach every year?

The Bad Guy
02-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Wednesday is too late. Why do they take this approach every year?

Because their timeshare in the Virgin Islands is only good from March 1st - March 5th.

Dartgod
02-28-2005, 08:30 AM
Isn't it though.

I mentioned in another thread (referencing Surtain), that it sounds like Carl is up to his typical BS.

His ego is going to end of costing this organization AGAIN this year if he's not careful.
This place cracks me up. If we signed Rolle to a contract with a $15 million signing bonus, everyone would be bitching that we overpaid for him.

Eleazar
02-28-2005, 08:32 AM
This place cracks me up. If we signed Rolle to a contract with a $15 million signing bonus, everyone would be bitching that we overpaid for him.

...but since we aren't paying him, the front office is obviously on vacation wacking off somewhere. Even though CP is quoted in stories in the past few days that they are negotiating with Surtain. Obviously, they are not addressing the problem and sitting on their hands. If only they were actually working on obtaining some talent.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Gibbs would be wise to listen to gregg. The players respect him and he has an eye for talent.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 09:06 AM
The skins obviously believe Rolle is better than Smoot since they are willing to give Rolle a $15 million signing bonus and they offered Smoot a $10 million signing bonus.

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 09:08 AM
We aren't going to get a top CB for less than a $12 mill bonus.

I'm still not convinced that CP/Lamar will pay that much.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 09:36 AM
We aren't going to get a top CB for less than a $12 mill bonus.

I'm still not convinced that CP/Lamar will pay that much.

That's the going rate, Carl should be well aware of that. Maybe that's why we don't have a top-tier CB on the roster, already.

PHOG
02-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Didn't I read somewhere on here that the contracts can't exceed 4 yrs. due to the CBA contract?

So 12 mil over 4 yrs would already be 3 mil/ yr? Not counting the players annual salary? Is this right? Huh? HUH? :hmmm:

Or am I way off base?

whoman69
02-28-2005, 11:38 AM
I can't understand how the Redskins can year after year, afford these bonuses under the cap. Every time they have to admit their mistake on these guys, they have to take the hit for cutting these guys.

Frankly, if you want to bag on Carl for not being as smart as the Redskins, look where the Redskins have been throwing all this money away.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-28-2005, 11:46 AM
If we want to land a top CB, the signing bonus at the least will be $10 million. We'll know soon enough if Carl and company are willing to hand out that kind of cheese. If they want to win, they will, IMO.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I can't understand how the Redskins can year after year, afford these bonuses under the cap. Every time they have to admit their mistake on these guys, they have to take the hit for cutting these guys.

Frankly, if you want to bag on Carl for not being as smart as the Redskins, look where the Redskins have been throwing all this money away.

they max out the cap and have crap players at alot of positions.

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 12:10 PM

Signing bonuses come directly out of the owner's pocket. Since Snyder gets more revenue from luxury boxes than all 4 AFC West teams combined, it's easy for him to invest in bonuses without putting in "non-football" money...

Spicy McHaggis
02-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Signing bonuses come directly out of the owner's pocket. Since Snyder gets more revenue from luxury boxes than all 4 AFC West teams combined, it's easy for him to invest in bonuses without putting in "non-football" money...

I've said it once and I'll say it again. God I hate Snyder.

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 01:14 PM

That is why is important for the Chiefs to either build a new stadium or get the money they need to renovate Arrowhead.

I would take a bet though that Denver makes alot of money off their luxury boxes as well. They always seem to give out alot of signing bonus money.

Oakland has a shitty stadium deal and if the Chargers get their new stadium then they will move to the top.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2005, 01:16 PM

and once again it comes down to "do the chiefs WANT to pay" or is that 30 million a year profit more important?

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 01:19 PM
and once again it comes down to "do the chiefs WANT to pay" or is that 30 million a year profit more important?

Or do they want to be like the Irsays and liquidate assets COMPLETELY UNRELATED to football in order to pay bonuses?

Once again it comes down to this is a business.

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
That is why is important for the Chiefs to either build a new stadium or get the money they need to renovate Arrowhead.

I would take a bet though that Denver makes alot of money off their luxury boxes as well. They always seem to give out alot of signing bonus money.

Oakland has a shitty stadium deal and if the Chargers get their new stadium then they will move to the top.

Yeah, it was hyperbole.

You'll notice that Denver is usually active in free agency...it's no coincidence that they have a new stadium...

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah, it was hyperbole.

You'll notice that Denver is usually active in free agency...it's no coincidence that they have a new stadium...

I bet it is close though minus Denver. Though I find it interesting that Cincinnati and Pittsburgh don't spend alot of money in FA and they have new stadiums. Seattle spends alot of money as well since they have a new stadium.

I guess it really depends on the owner and whether he is willing to pay alot of money out of his pocket.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Or do they want to be like the Irsays and liquidate assets COMPLETELY UNRELATED to football in order to pay bonuses?

Once again it comes down to this is a business.
nobody is expecting them to liquidate :shake:

didnt i just mention their "profits"

oh i'm sorry ... the chiefs are above such reproach, i keep forgetting, my bad.

KCTitus
02-28-2005, 01:32 PM

'Profit' in a P/L statement has nothing to do with liquid cash.

TEX
02-28-2005, 02:03 PM
HA! Now aren't the Skins in cap hell because they do this every year? More salary cap myth. ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
02-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Daniel Snyder is willing to spend the money to improve his team, I give him credit for that. The problem is that he spends the money on the wrong players a lot of the times. But if he were to give the said-contract to Rolle he would deserve it, as he is a top-CB.

DaWolf
02-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Yada yada yada. And the Chiefs were going to screw over Priest Holmes because they were cheap and so on. The fact is that the Chiefs have no problem spending money. They spend it all right, and spend a lot of it. The problem is they haven't been spending it on the right people. When Carl targets someone he wants, he will pay the guy. See Shawn Barber. That doesn't mean that Carl is necessarially making a smart move. He's overpaid for plenty of crap players (Carlton Gray, Dan Williams, etc.) But money has never been an object. Sure they got cheap with guys like Hugh Douglas and when that happened at the time we all bitched about it, but it turned out there was a good reason behind that...

tk13
02-28-2005, 04:15 PM
24 million.... I love how that number gets butchered and gets higher every time. Horrific use of facts in an argument....

You think about that though, that's maybe two FA's... then we're working in the red. Snyder can spend 50 million dollars in signing bonuses and still have plenty of money left over and still turn a profit. If you don't think there's a HUGE difference there you just aren't getting it.....

Dave Lane
02-28-2005, 09:05 PM
Crap

Dave

FloridaMan88
02-28-2005, 09:20 PM
In that KC Star article about Carl Peterson's comments on Ty Law and other free agents:

Even though some recently released players such as Law, Tennessee wide receiver Derrick Mason, Titans defensive lineman Kevin Carter, and even wide receiver Jerry Rice are considered street free agents and don't have to wait until March 2 to sign with new teams, Peterson said he doesn't see them signing contracts immediately.
“What matters there is their agents,” Peterson said, “and some of them dictate to the player, “I want you to wait and go out and do the tour' or ‘I think this is the team for you, and let's try to cut a deal right now.' It's the agents who dictate

And now one of those recently released players, Rolle close to signing... brilliant prediction Carl :banghead:

The Bad Guy
02-28-2005, 09:27 PM
24 million.... I love how that number gets butchered and gets higher every time. Horrific use of facts in an argument....

You think about that though, that's maybe two FA's... then we're working in the red. Snyder can spend 50 million dollars in signing bonuses and still have plenty of money left over and still turn a profit. If you don't think there's a HUGE difference there you just aren't getting it.....

I have a hard time believing Lamar Hunt will ever be in the red.

You know what, he should stop treating his beloved Chiefs as a business while he is still alive. You would think that the man who has his name on the AFC Championship trophy would want to put this team in the best possible shape so he hoist that one more time before he passes on.

Lamar Hunt has made more money in the last 2 months than I will likely ever see in my lifetime and signing another free agent that could put this team over the top should be his concern.

If it was me, and my team didn't win a playoff game in 12 years, then I would be a little more urgent to win another one.

patteeu
02-28-2005, 09:46 PM

I've heard about the $30 mil profit before. Does anyone have any idea what kind of return on investment that represents? Without knowing that, a person doesn't really have any room to whine about how the Hunts aren't spending enough of their profit on free agents. It is a business, not a non-profit, afterall.

patteeu
02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
In that KC Star article about Carl Peterson's comments on Ty Law and other free agents:

Even though some recently released players such as Law, Tennessee wide receiver Derrick Mason, Titans defensive lineman Kevin Carter, and even wide receiver Jerry Rice are considered street free agents and don't have to wait until March 2 to sign with new teams, Peterson said he doesn't see them signing contracts immediately.
“What matters there is their agents,” Peterson said, “and some of them dictate to the player, “I want you to wait and go out and do the tour' or ‘I think this is the team for you, and let's try to cut a deal right now.' It's the agents who dictate

And now one of those recently released players, Rolle close to signing... brilliant prediction Carl :banghead:

Excellent point. Well... it would be an excellent point if Peterson had actually made a prediction about Rolle. As it is, I guess it's not really so excellent. :shake:

philfree
02-28-2005, 10:36 PM
I've heard about the $30 mil profit before. Does anyone have any idea what kind of return on investment that represents? Without knowing that, a person doesn't really have any room to whine about how the Hunts aren't spending enough of their profit on free agents. It is a business, not a non-profit, afterall.

Yeah if that's all they made that's hard evidence that being in a small market with a 30 year old stadium is a big disadvantage for the Chiefs. We got players(CBs) wanting $15mil signing bonuses so that $30mil ain't gonna go far.

PhilFree :arrow:

FloridaMan88
03-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Excellent point. Well... it would be an excellent point if Peterson had actually made a prediction about Rolle. As it is, I guess it's not really so excellent. :shake:

True Peterson didn't mention Rolle's name directly, but he was referring to all the players who were recently released, which includes Rolle

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:33 PM

oh i'm sorry ... the chiefs are above such reproach, i keep forgetting, my bad.

You're acting retarded again.

Nobody is expecting Lamar to liquidate assets? People are want to sign Rolle, Law, AND A LB.

That would require borrowing against non-football assets if the team "only" makes $30M in profit...