PDA

View Full Version : The Surtain deal will be done in the next 48 hours...

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 08:34 AM
My sources say Carl wants to get it done prior to the "No Salary Cap Limit" rally on Wednesday afternoon and then thumb his nose at Jason Whitlock.

:D

Bootlegged
02-28-2005, 08:36 AM
does your "source" have a joint? It'd be a lot cooler if he did...

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Sounds like the rally is working. LOL. Seriously, have you heard anything? I'm on pins and needles. Surtain is a stud and I would love for him to become a Chief.

Skip Towne
02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
My sources say Carl wants to get it done prior to the "No Salary Cap Limit" rally on Wednesday afternoon and then thumb his nose at Jason Whitlock.

Your sources?

cookster50
02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Your sources?

His/Her dead great-great-uncle?

teedubya
02-28-2005, 08:42 AM
does your "source" have a joint? It'd be a lot cooler if he did...

ROFL

http://www.raisethetitanic.com/sahara/movie/misc_wp/castcrew/images/mm/pic_05.jpg

tomahawk kid
02-28-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm I the only one who think MM should have to say "Well alright, alright, alright" every time he appears in public?

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 08:46 AM
As you all know, I'm on Carl Peterson's payroll.

Staff Apologist is my official title.

I talked to my "contacts" yesterday - they're inside Arrowhead.

Word is, Carl really wants to stick it to Jason and have something done prior to the Rally.

tomahawk kid
02-28-2005, 08:54 AM
As you all know, I'm on Carl Peterson's payroll.

Staff Apologist is my official title.

I talked to my "contacts" yesterday - they're inside Arrowhead.

Word is, Carl really wants to stick it to Jason and have something done prior to the Rally.

I assume by the smiley face, that you're BSing us?

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Yeah.

I'm just sick of hearing about the "No Salary Cap Limit" tour...now 610 is running COMMERCIALS.

kc rush
02-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Yeah.

I'm just sick of hearing about the "No Salary Cap Limit" tour...now 610 is running COMMERCIALS.

Just think if we do sign a big-time corner, we will have to listen to Whitlock take credit for the signing for now until eternity (unless the guy is a bust then Carl and the scouts are idiots).

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I rarely agree with Whitlock, but no way I give him shit for rallying some people that are sick of the ho-hum approach taken basically every FA period by the Chiefs FO.

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 09:16 AM
I rarely agree with Whitlock, but no way I give him shit for rallying some people that are sick of the ho-hum approach taken basically every FA period by the Chiefs FO.

Except that he's not doing it for the fans. Nor is he doing it because he cares about the Chiefs.

He's doing it for himself, plain and simple.

Eleazar
02-28-2005, 09:16 AM
No kidding, when are we going to sign Rolle?

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Just think if we do sign a big-time corner, we will have to listen to Whitlock take credit for the signing for now until eternity (unless the guy is a bust then Carl and the scouts are idiots).

The only way he can take credit with any amount of legitimacy is if we sign Ty Law.

He hasn't talked about any other corners, so if we sign one of them, it wasn't his idea.

tyton75
02-28-2005, 09:18 AM
heard on 810 this morning.. end of border patrol... apparently there is an article in a Miami paper that states that Carl is willing to negotiate a trade, but it sounds as if Surtain is wanting too much money at the moment.. "price is just a little too high right now"

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Except that he's not doing it for the fans. Nor is he doing it because he cares about the Chiefs.

I don't know if he is or isn't. I know he has a big ego, but he doesn't have to get a rally going to feed it. He can bash Carl, just as easily from his radio show as he can having a rally, IMO. I've also heard that he dipped into his own pocketbook for the T-shirts. Maybe it is self-serving, but the FO is listening, so I can't bag on him for it.

Bootlegged
02-28-2005, 09:21 AM
heard on 810 this morning.. end of border patrol... apparently there is an article in a Miami paper that states that Carl is willing to negotiate a trade, but it sounds as if Surtain is wanting too much money at the moment.. "price is just a little too high right now"

same old, same old. While Carl hims and haws at the price tag, the best FA's sign elsewhere. With our history in the draft, a 2nd rounder is nothing for a premier corner. What's a 2nd rounder going to do for us? Backup Safety?

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 09:21 AM
heard on 810 this morning.. end of border patrol... apparently there is an article in a Miami paper that states that Carl is willing to negotiate a trade, but it sounds as if Surtain is wanting too much money at the moment.. "price is just a little too high right now"I've read it. As a matter of fact-it's on the planet here, some where. Sounds like the Carl's negotiating tactics I've heard about.

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 09:22 AM

So what?

And he has talked about others corners....Smoot specifically, and LBs, Hartwell specifically,...and he's said over and over that it isn't enough for the Chiefs to sign only 1 FA and then quit...he's just using Law to make a point.

Lord, I think he's as big a douche bag as anyone, but I fail to see what is so bad about him campaigning for the Chiefs to do something in FA.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2005, 09:23 AM

money is always the main thing with carl ... nothing surprising about that

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't know if he is or isn't. I know he has a big ego, but he doesn't have to get a rally going to feed it. He can bash Carl, just as easily from his radio show as he can having a rally, IMO. I've also heard that he dipped into his own pocketbook for the T-shirts. Maybe it is self-serving, but the FO is listening, so I can't bag on him for it.

The front office is listening?

Don't give Whitlock, or anyone else, that much credit...

The front office is doing what they would have done, WITHOUT Whitlock organizing a rally.

They're smart enough to realize what's going on in the fanbase (they know how quickly tickets are being sold).

Nzoner
02-28-2005, 09:26 AM
"price is just a little too high right now"

Just once as season ticket holders I wish we could use this in negotiating our renewals.

Bootlegged
what fans see "blatant need to sign top flight defensive players"

what CP sees "Gate + concessions + programs - G&A/payroll/bonuses =??"

Eleazar
So, for those of us who don't listen to his ignorant radio show... Whitless is organizing a rally as a publicity stunt, er, to get the Chiefs to sign Ty Law?

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 09:28 AM
So what?

And he has talked about others corners....Smoot specifically, and LBs, Hartwell specifically,...and he's said over and over that it isn't enough for the Chiefs to sign only 1 FA and then quit...he's just using Law to make a point.

Lord, I think he's as big a douche bag as anyone, but I fail to see what is so bad about him campaigning for the Chiefs to do something in FA.

Nothing wrong with him campaigning for the Chiefs to do something in FA.

But running heavy-rotation commercials ADVERTISING it?

He's a circus sideshow that detracts from the overall goal.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 09:33 AM
The front office is listening?

Don't give Whitlock, or anyone else, that much credit...

The front office is doing what they would have done, WITHOUT Whitlock organizing a rally.

They're smart enough to realize what's going on in the fanbase (they know how quickly tickets are being sold).
YES, the FO is listening. If they weren't they wouldn't have come out with the recent Dawes and Gretz articles specifically targeting sports radio talk-show hosts. They clearly have attempted to debunk what is being said about the FA period, by doing some attacking of their own and it's all well-documented.

I'm not saying that his complaining is a direct result of Carl making moves, but I am saying they clearly are listening evidenced by their debunking Law, ect...

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 09:48 AM
YES, the FO is listening. If they weren't they wouldn't have come out with the recent Dawes and Gretz articles specifically targeting sports radio talk-show hosts. They clearly have attempted to debunk what is being said about the FA period, by doing some attacking of their own and it's all well-documented.

I'm not saying that his complaining is a direct result of Carl making moves, but I am saying they clearly are listening evidenced by their debunking Law, ect...

I see what you're saying.

Yes, the front office HEARS what he's saying. That's why Gretz and Dawes are writing those articles.

But the front office doesn't really LISTEN to anyone but themselves.

WilliamTheIrish
02-28-2005, 09:55 AM

Wow! Paid for his own T-Shirts? That's incredible.

Just truly benevolent.

Color me stunned.

BFD

TEX
02-28-2005, 09:59 AM
same old, same old. While Carl hims and haws at the price tag, the best FA's sign elsewhere. With our history in the draft, a 2nd rounder is nothing for a premier corner. What's a 2nd rounder going to do for us? Backup Safety?

Or a D-line who's gonna get cut. :mad: Or a starting MLB who is really a back up! :cuss:

nmt1
02-28-2005, 09:59 AM

Ho hum as in signing Shawn Barber, Vonnie Holday and Dexter McCleon all in one offseason?
Or ho hum as in trading for Trent Green and signing Priest Holmes?
Or ho hum as in trading for Willie Roaf and signing Johnnie Morton?

redhed
02-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Is Whitlock's 'rally' self-serving? Yes.
Will it get Chiefs' fans fired up? Most certainly.

If it has just a little effect on what the FO does, so be it. At least some people who actually go to the games will have an assemblage of voice.

When I first heard about this, I thought: "So what? Will it really make a diff?"
I think now it might(maybe but prolly not), in some small way. Either way, it sounds like this thing is gaining some steam...

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Is Whitlock's 'rally' self-serving? Yes.
Will it get Chiefs' fans fired up? Most certainly.

If it has just a little effect on what the FO does, so be it. At least some people who actually go to the games will have an assemblage of voice.

When I first heard about this, I thought: "So what? Will it really make a diff?"
I think now it might(maybe but prolly not), in some small way. Either way, it sounds like this thing is gaining some steam...

I wouldn't say it's gaining steam. It's being shamelessly pumped every few minutes, not only by every host on every show, but also on commercials being aired in between segments.

Braincase
02-28-2005, 10:59 AM
No way in hell would I even think about talking to Ty Law until he's running.

KCTitus
02-28-2005, 11:07 AM
so the rally is still on, classic...I hope the CP faithful show up complete with protest posters.

I'd almost be willing to pay for video of that carnival...LOL.

philfree
02-28-2005, 11:10 AM

Yeah Dawes and Gretz just started that this week :rolleyes:

PhilFree :arrow:

whoman69
02-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Whitlock is doing this for Whitlock. That's all he ever does. He proposes the highest risk, highest return option because it looks good for him. If we get Law and he is somehow able to continue to be one of the best CBs for the next three years, he looks like a genius despite the cost. It more likely that Law costs us too much and is not able to completely come back from his unusual injury.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 11:30 AM
so the rally is still on, classic...I hope the CP faithful show up complete with protest posters.

I'd almost be willing to pay for video of that carnival...LOL.Yea shame those that actually want change.

KCTitus
02-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Yea shame those that actually want change.

There's no shame in it...be proud that you're duped by Whitlock thinking this has one thing to do with the Chiefs actually doing anything.

The front office is going to do whatever it thinks is best to improve the team regardless of how many rallies are held outside the stadium.

Eleazar
02-28-2005, 11:33 AM

I'd almost be willing to pay for video of that carnival...LOL.

Come on, that isn't fair. Based on the people who typically call Whitlock's programs, I would expect there to be at least 2 or 3 high school diplomas in attendance.

philfree
02-28-2005, 11:33 AM

If you follow Whitlock into the street then you've already shamed yourself.

PhilFree :arrow:

nmt1
02-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Newsflash...

BigChiefFan is the only Chiefs fan who is disappointed with last season. Film at 10...

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Whitlock is doing this for Whitlock. That's all he ever does. He proposes the highest risk, highest return option because it looks good for him. If we get Law and he is somehow able to continue to be one of the best CBs for the next three years, he looks like a genius despite the cost. It more likely that Law costs us too much and is not able to completely come back from his unusual injury.

:thumb: Right on. This is all about promoting 610 and Whitlock.

Frankie
02-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Teicher's article refers to Samari Rolle as "a favorite of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham." Does Gun's opinion mean anything to the Chiefs front office when it comes to 'D' personnel? :shake:

nmt1
02-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Teicher's article refers to Samari Rolle as "a favorite of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham." Does Gun's opinion mean anything to the Chiefs front office when it comes to 'D' personnel? :shake:

Well, yeah. We drafted Jared Allen didn't we. You're not gonna convince me that he was a Vermiel or Peterson pick.

go bo
02-28-2005, 11:40 AM
The only way he can take credit with any amount of legitimacy is if we sign Ty Law.

He hasn't talked about any other corners, so if we sign one of them, it wasn't his idea.well sure, that's what you say now... :harumph:

eazyb81
02-28-2005, 11:41 AM

I'm sure it would have before Carl realized he would be getting into a bidding war with Dan Snyder. Apparently the Skins are very close to a deal with Rolle and are offering him a $15 mill signing bonus. Thank God we have Dan Snyder around to drive up the prices even more for CBs this offseason. :(

BigRedChief
02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Give Twitlock his due. He has made it more difficult for King Carl to set on his hands this off season. And thats a good thing IMHO.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Give Twitlock his due. He has made it more difficult for King Carl to set on his hands this off season. And thats a good thing IMHO.

I agree a little.

No matter what people say, the fans and the media do have some impact on what organizations do.

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 12:14 PM

No, he hasn't.

AT ALL.

Whitlock had no bearing on it. The fans attending said rally had nothing to do with it.

The fans that have the REAL voice - the ones that BUY TICKETS - are the reason Carl is not going to set on his hands this offseason.

BigRedChief
02-28-2005, 12:24 PM
No, he hasn't.

AT ALL.

Whitlock had no bearing on it. The fans attending said rally had nothing to do with it.

The fans that have the REAL voice - the ones that BUY TICKETS - are the reason Carl is not going to set on his hands this offseason.

I don't think the rally is the cause. But it is obvious that the Season Ticket base and their bread and butter fans were not going to sit still and be sheep if the front office did nothing again this off season. His show is the 2nd most popular radio show in the KC metro area. Thats a lot of people listening to what you have to say.

keg in kc
02-28-2005, 12:34 PM
You guys have it backwards. Whitlock is savvy. He picked his shot. This was the perfect offseason for a "rally". Anybody with an ounce of sense knew this would be a spring where the front office would be aggressive. We're coming off one of the most disappointing seasons in memory, this is the almost certainly the final year in Vermeil's coaching career (remember what happened the last time his contract was up? we spent millions on Barber, Holliday and McCleon -- the fact they didn't pan out is irrelevent; we spent the money) and the market was set to have several high-level players at key positions we need to fill. The stars were aligned for an active March regardless of what Jason said or did.

In other words, Whitlock's doing what he's doing because he knew exactly what the front office was planning to do. He can't lose. If he calls for the "rally" and the front office signs players, he can take credit for it. If by chance, he was wrong, and they don't sign anyone, he can continue to cater to the audience that this 'rally' has attracted. It's win-win for him. It makes perfect sense.

R&GHomer
02-28-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't think the rally is the cause. But it is obvious that the Season Ticket base and their bread and butter fans were not going to sit still and be sheep if the front office did nothing again this off season. His show is the 2nd most popular radio show in the KC metro area. Thats a lot of people listening to what you have to say.

:spock: Second most popular radio show in KC? How do you figure that? If he is 2nd who the hell is 1st and 3rd. The only time I listen to whitlock is during the season, and even then it's limited exposure. Can't take it.

BigRedChief
02-28-2005, 12:42 PM
:spock: Second most popular radio show in KC? How do you figure that? If he is 2nd who the hell is 1st and 3rd. The only time I listen to whitlock is during the season, and even then it's limited exposure. Can't take it.

Latest Arbitron ratings. Was in Flannigan's column. Only Johnny Dares morning show has more listeners 25+ years of age.

getoverit
02-28-2005, 12:57 PM
They need more than just corner to make things better. They got an entire defense lost in the forest. With just him and maybe a good draft pick they are dreaming. They are gonna need Bell and some real inovative thinking to turn these guys around.

nmt1
02-28-2005, 01:01 PM
They need more than just corner to make things better. They got an entire defense lost in the forest. With just him and maybe a good draft pick they are dreaming. They are gonna need Bell and some real inovative thinking to turn these guys around.

Innovative thinking? From our front office and coaching staff? You must be kidding, right? Everyone knows that Carl doesn't care about improving the team and that Vermiel is delusional and that they're both holding Gunther Cunningham back, on purpose. They don't want the defense to be any better. All they care about is filling the seats.

Spicy McHaggis
02-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Whitlock saying that we'll sign free agents this year is like saying that ice will melt on the sun. Its obvious and he can take the same amount of credit for either one. None.

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 01:24 PM
You guys have it backwards. Whitlock is savvy. He picked his shot. This was the perfect offseason for a "rally". Anybody with an ounce of sense knew this would be a spring where the front office would be aggressive. We're coming off one of the most disappointing seasons in memory, this is the almost certainly the final year in Vermeil's coaching career (remember what happened the last time his contract was up? we spent millions on Barber, Holliday and McCleon -- the fact they didn't pan out is irrelevent; we spent the money) and the market was set to have several high-level players at key positions we need to fill. The stars were aligned for an active March regardless of what Jason said or did.

In other words, Whitlock's doing what he's doing because he knew exactly what the front office was planning to do. He can't lose. If he calls for the "rally" and the front office signs players, he can take credit for it. If by chance, he was wrong, and they don't sign anyone, he can continue to cater to the audience that this 'rally' has attracted. It's win-win for him. It makes perfect sense.

Egg-zackly.

KCTitus
02-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Yep, Whitlock is the original genious (chiefsplanet spelling)

redhed
02-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Oh, one more thing. I don't think the Chiefs should be looking at Ty Law. Carp, the guy is only on one wheel right now, and he's too dang old.
I'll also NOT be attending JW's little function.

grandllama
03-01-2005, 03:43 AM
:thumb: Right on. This is all about promoting 610 and Whitlock.

Jezzus H. Christ get off Big Sexy's ass...

When you go to work, who are you looking out for... yourself.

You guys jump his ass when he does anything self promoting...

He's a media personality. Media is promotion. IE Promotion is his job. He promotes himself, the Star sells papers, 610 gets listeners, Whitlock keeps his job(s).

There is no sin in keeping your job secure by actually doing your job.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Jezzus H. Christ get off Big Sexy's ass...

When you go to work, who are you looking out for... yourself.

You guys jump his ass when he does anything self promoting...

He's a media personality. Media is promotion. IE Promotion is his job. He promotes himself, the Star sells papers, 610 gets listeners, Whitlock keeps his job(s).

There is no sin in keeping your job secure by actually doing your job.

I have no problem with him doing his job.

I have a problem with him trying to convince everyone that he's doing it for the fans.

You're right...when I go to work today, I AM looking out for myself.

I'm also not telling all of my co-workers that I'm DOING THEM A FAVOR by being there and doing my job.