PDA

View Full Version : Will the Chiefs pay $15 mill for a CB?

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Reading about the Surtain negotiations I'm getting this sick feeling that, in the end, CP/Lamar won't pay what it costs for a true #1 CB...imho, $12-$15 million.

No way Smoot/Law/Surtain/Rolle sign for less than a $12 mill bonus...again, imho.

So, will we pretend to negotiate like we usually do or will we step up to the plate?

Eleazar
02-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I dunno, is Rolle available? ;)

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 09:29 AM
or Rolle

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Of the four million "we're about to sign this guy" threads on here over the last few days....I'd like to add an "I'll believe it when I see it" one.

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 10:10 AM
seems we are a cynical bunch, with good reason

whoman69
02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Those type bonuses would hamstring the organization THIS year. You're talking around a $4 million cap hit. That would take all of our available cap money if we want to sign any rookies. We need more than one FA, but under your throw money at it plan, we wouldn't be able to do it. Additionally, if we need to cut this player in the third year of a 5 year contract, we would need to take the cap hit for the rest of the bonus over the 3rd and 4th year of the contract. That's $4.5 million if you are talking a $15 million contract.

Mr. Kotter
02-28-2005, 10:50 AM
seems we are a cynical bunch, with good reason

Unless CP realizes like we do, that his time is now....I'd agree.

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 10:58 AM
I would say no. In the past CP has stated he will not pay any FA a larger signing bonus than any of the current Chiefs ie Trent, Gonzo, or Priest. I don't see them going over 10 million.

The Bad Guy
02-28-2005, 11:01 AM
If you want top defensive talent, you can't cut corners when you can't draft defense for shit.

You want to pay peanuts, then you get the 32nd ranked defense.

the Talking Can
02-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I would say no. In the past CP has stated he will not pay any FA a larger signing bonus than any of the current Chiefs ie Trent, Gonzo, or Priest. I don't see them going over 10 million.

Yeah, I kinda think that is a limit too (though I hope not)...so the question is: will Law/Smoot/Rolle/Surtain sign for a $10 mill bonus?

I can't see it.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I kinda think that is a limit too (though I hope not)...so the question is: will Law/Smoot/Rolle/Surtain sign for a $10 mill bonus?

I can't see it.Hell, Rolle is being offered a $15 million signing bonus.

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 11:13 AM

I can't see it.

I just don't see CP dishing $12-15 million for 1 player. I guess it depends on CP mindset and whether this is his last year and if he is going to go for broke.

I hope they spend the big money because we significant D help but need more than 1 player.

Archie Bunker
02-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I doubt the Chiefs will pay more than 10 mill for 1 player. If Surtain, Rolle, Law, Smoot etc want more than that I would guess the Chiefs would then turn to Dyson from Tennessee or Henry from Cleveland. This might be the best way to go anyway because it would leave money for a couple of good LBs.

CrazyHorse
02-28-2005, 11:36 AM
I think they will pay that kind of money for the right player.

But I dont think they will pay it for just any corner. Surtain has a degenerative knee, Law is still in a wheelchair. Are they worth that kind of money? I dont know. Niether does the Chiefs org. until a physical.

I have no problem with Peterson looking at all options including the LBs on the market and getting the best bang for the buck FA signings. We will need more than one guy. With that said, I think they should be at the top of the league at their respective positions.

For example, I would take Rolle and Trotter over just getting the top corner in the league and settling for less than premium talent at LB.

Coogs
02-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Those type bonuses would hamstring the organization THIS year. You're talking around a $4 million cap hit.

Depends on the length of the contract, and the base salary portion. 14 million signing bonus over 7 years is 2 million per year towards the cap, plus the base. With a small base for the first few years, it would be doable to sign a couple(Surtain and Law).

CrazyHorse
02-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Depends on the length of the contract, and the base salary portion. 14 million signing bonus over 7 years is 2 million per year towards the cap, plus the base. With a small base for the first few years, it would be doable to sign a couple(Surtain and Law).

Isn't there some new rule this season that states the signing bonus has to be paid in the 1st 5 years of the contract? Reguardless the length of the deal.

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Isn't there some new rule this season that states the signing bonus has to be paid in the 1st 5 years of the contract? Reguardless the length of the deal.

Yes the current NFL CBA expires in 5 years so they can only sign a guy up to 5 years.

HipHopper4Life
02-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Well the Redskins are willing and just raised the cost of every other corner ot there.

INDIANAPOLIS So much for a quieter free agent season in Washington. The Redskins yesterday were on the verge of landing former Tennessee Titans cornerback Samari Rolle with a typically huge signing bonus, believed to be worth $15 million, NFL sources said.

espn.com

HipHopper4Life
02-28-2005, 11:58 AM
From a raiders board

Charles Woodson wants out, but the Raiders may not let him go.

Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images

If you're wondering, the Raiders say cornerback Charles Woodson's surprise decision to sign his $10.5 million franchise-player tender does not impact their ability to handle the $7.25 million salary cap number that Randy Moss would put on their books in light of this week's soon-to-be-completed trade.

"Woodson's cap number [of $10.5 million] was already accounted for when the Moss trade was agreed to,'' said one source with knowledge of Oakland's cap situation. "It's not like that room wasn't there and now it has to be found.''

The Raiders suspect Woodson and his agent Carl Poston made the decision to sign the franchise tender in an attempt to force a trade. And the team they believe Woodson has a tentative deal with and is hopeful of being sent to? AFC West rival Kansas City, which is desperate to acquire a shut-down cornerback at some point this offseason.

"They think they're [messing] with us by signing the tender, or why else would they do it?'' a Raiders source said. "But we're okay.''

BIG_DADDY
02-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Well the Redskins are willing and just raised the cost of every other corner ot there.

espn.com

These losers are never going anywhere either.

Ebolapox
02-28-2005, 12:02 PM
eh, charles woodson's my choice

-EB-

Chiefs Pantalones
02-28-2005, 12:04 PM
If we want to land a top CB, the signing bonus at the least will be $10 million. We'll know soon enough if Carl and company are willing to hand out that kind of cheese. If they want to win, they will, IMO.

They're going to have to pay a lot if they want to fix that crap they call a defense.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I want the Chiefs to go all out in FA!!! I want help on defense, and I want help at WR!!!!

...But we can't overpay, or give up draft picks...that'd be too much to swallow...

This place kills me sometimes. ROFL