PDA

View Full Version : If the chiefs win the SB, do they get the new/renovated stadium?

Nightfyre
02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Just curious. Go chatter!

Mr. Kotter
02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Yes. :shrug:

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
I hope so they deserve it.

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately, I think it may be the other way around.

We won't get to a SB until we get a new stadium and the free agent money that comes with it.

Phobia
02-28-2005, 01:29 PM
If they're intelligent, yes - it will be on the ballot the very next year. How do you think the last several stadiums were built?

Nightfyre
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
If they're intelligent, yes - it will be on the ballot the very next year. How do you think the last several stadiums were built?
Through hard work and ingenuity, the engineers were able to fabricate teh goods from their bare hands, without pay.

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 01:31 PM

Aren't they putting the money for renovations on the ballot in April or later this year?

Phobia
02-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Aren't they putting the money for renovations on the ballot in April or later this year?

I think that's just to give money to the Sports Authority in order to stay in compliance with the "State of the Art" stipulations in the lease.

I could be mistaken, though.

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I think that's just to give money to the Sports Authority in order to stay in compliance with the "State of the Art" stipulations in the lease.

I could be mistaken, though.

You're right. The Chiefs want to put something on the ballot but it hasn't been determined when yet.

Retain the teams with reasonable plan

Chiefs ask for too much public help

New requests from the Chiefs have kicked off an intense debate about the future of the Truman Sports Complex.

Taxpayers have a big stake in the outcome, which could determine the costs to improve Kauffman and Arrowhead stadiums to keep Kansas City's major-league teams.

• The Chiefs are pursuing a plan with a $240 million price tag for Jackson County taxpayers; it would call for a quarter-cent sales tax for 12 years.

The Chiefs likely would get $200 million to expand Arrowhead, leaving $40 million for repairs at Kauffman.

• Earlier this month County Executive Katheryn Shields unveiled a far less expensive proposal: Ask county taxpayers for $80 million, raised by a quarter-cent sales tax for only four years.

The teams would split the money and make repairs required in their leases, keeping them at the sports complex through 2014. This could be a less expensive way of keeping the facilities in good shape until long-term decisions can be made on whether to dramatically improve the stadiums or build new ones.

The county and the teams are pursuing an August election, which means the County Legislature must put a proposal on the ballot by the end of May. The reason behind the rush: The teams' leases require the repairs to be made as soon as possible, which now means in 2006.

Some county officials are excited about the much more costly expansion plan, in part because the football team would be expected to extend its lease at Arrowhead for 25 years as part of the deal.

However, the $200 million public subsidy request is too steep for taxpayers in just one county.

Last fall the Chiefs wanted less — $180 million from the public to renovate Arrowhead — and that was through a bistate sales tax in the five-county metropolitan area. (Jackson County's portion would have been close to $70 million.)

If the sports authority decides to support expansion, it should work with the Chiefs to significantly reduce the amount and length of the tax burden on Jackson Countians. And the Chiefs and National Football League should agree to pay more for the plan.

Chiefs official Tom Steadman said last week that some possible upgrades included a large Chiefs store, a Chiefs hall of fame and a sports bar.

“We're just trying to keep up with the competition,” said Steadman, noting that about 20 NFL teams have obtained new stadiums in the last decade, with more revenue-producing suites and concession stands.

Keeping the new tax as short as possible — but long enough to expand Arrowhead — could benefit the Royals years from now.

A county tax lasting eight years, for instance, would end before the Royals' lease runs out in 2014. By that time, the Royals' economic future could be more stable if the sport of baseball has begun sharing more revenue with small-market teams. The Royals then could bring forward proposals to expand Kauffman Stadium or build a downtown stadium, all by renewing the quarter-cent tax.

Jackson County officials will have to keep that long-term thinking in mind as they develop a public-subsidy plan for the sports complex.

In the next few months, the county must devise a reasonable way for this community to retain its major-league teams for many more years.

beavis
02-28-2005, 01:44 PM
You're right. The Chiefs want to put something on the ballot but it hasn't been determined when yet.

As far as plans go, that is one of the worst ones I've ever seen.

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2005, 01:46 PM
That is how they got Arrowhead, put it on the ballot right after they made Super Bowl I.

dirk digler
02-28-2005, 01:50 PM
As far as plans go, that is one of the worst ones I've ever seen.

It is basically the same as Bi state II without the Arts component. Alot of polls after the vote showed that Bi State II would have passed if the arts were not involved.

Of course I don't live in Jackson County so I can't advocate for or against this plan.

SCTrojan
02-28-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure how you mean this question. If you are saying that UNTIL they win a SB, they don't get a new/renovated stadium, then I disagree with that. The stadium is still great, but I think it could use some modernization and still keep its overall environment (a la Lambeau Field). That renovation shouldn't have to depend on them winning a SB.

I am not an advocate of a new stadium. I like where it is. I think the tailgating space gives it an atmosphere that would be hard to match somewhere else in the city.

I was a fan of Bi-state II, because it would have given the Chiefs the money to do exactly what I'm talking about.

But, if that's not what you meant with the question, then...never mind.