PDA

View Full Version : Rolle vs. Surtain

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Can anyone compare the two?

I don't know anything about Rolle, is he a true #1 type or a level below Law/Surtain?

And is he coming off an injury as well? I thought I heard that...any insight is appreciated.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:34 AM
He's a level below Surtain and Law. Maybe two levels below.

He's not very big, and he's had a bit of an injury history.

That being said, he'd instantly be the best CB on our roster.

tyton75
03-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Surtain v Rolle - both better than anyone we have.. thats all that needs to be said

Stinger
03-01-2005, 10:37 AM

And would not cost us a possible high draft pick.

That being said I would pull the trigger on a 2nd round pick and a decent salary for Surtain.

Lzen
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
How many Pro Bowls has each of these guys made? Perhaps that would be useful info. ;)

Kris Kringle
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Surtain is better than Rolle, but Rolle doesn't cost a valueable 2nd round pick. I'd take Rolle for that reason.

shaneo69
03-01-2005, 10:41 AM
With all these guys in their late 20's/early 30's with histories of being nicked up, I keep getting this horrible vision of the Broncos signing 7 year veteran shut-down CB Dale Carter in 1999.

Why not go for the 26-27 year old/4 year veteran guys like Lucas, Baxter, Dyson, or Smoot who actually have some upside left?

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:43 AM
With all these guys in their late 20's/early 30's with histories of being nicked up, I keep getting this horrible vision of the Broncos signing 7 year veteran shut-down CB Dale Carter in 1999.

Why not go for the 26-27 year old/4 year veteran guys like Lucas, Baxter, Dyson, or Smoot who actually have some upside left?

Good point.

Lucas is still my #1 choice.

Rausch
03-01-2005, 10:44 AM
I'd prefer Surtain.

That said, either is leaps and bounds better than anything we've got on roster...

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 10:45 AM

thanks...that leads to 2 questions then:

1. Will he accept being payed at a level less than Surtain (doubtful)

and

2. Is Surtain a 2nd round pick better?

in a perfect world, I think I'd take Smoot...young enough to justify breaking the bank, no history of injury, and no draft picks involved...

Stinger
03-01-2005, 10:51 AM
thanks...that leads to 2 questions then:

1. Will he accept being payed at a level less than Surtain (doubtful)

and

2. Is Surtain a 2nd round pick better?

in a perfect world, I think I'd take Smoot...young enough to justify breaking the bank, no history of injury, and no draft picks involved...

1. I think the better question is he willing to challenge Warfield for the #1 spot :D

1a. Maybe a little bit but who know :shrug:

2. If your asking me if I would take a PB corner or a second round pick I think I will take the proven PB corner

Fire Me Boy!
03-01-2005, 11:03 AM
but Rolle knows Gun's D... that could be the biggest difference in deciding who comes.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:27 AM
but Rolle knows Gun's D... that could be the biggest difference in deciding who comes.

No, he doesn't know Gun's D. Gunther was never the defensive coordinator in Tennessee.

Fire Me Boy!
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
No, he doesn't know Gun's D. Gunther was never the defensive coordinator in Tennessee.
true... my bad.

I'm an idiot... sorry. From hence-forth and forever more, I'll keep my posts to movies.

:sulk:

Bowser
03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
true... my bad.

I'm an idiot... sorry. From hence-forth and forever more, I'll keep my posts to movies.

:sulk:

Like that works. You liked Dick Tracy, meaning your cred is in the toilet.

Wait for a Bob Dole thread on poop. Or something.

:D

Fire Me Boy!
03-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Like that works. You liked Dick Tracy, meaning your cred is in the toilet.

Wait for a Bob Dole thread on poop. Or something.

:D

ROFL ROFL ROFL

OK... I'll just go wait for something to happen on SD's anal thread.

Fire Me Boy!
03-01-2005, 12:12 PM
No, no... I meant he knows Gun's .... DOG .... yeah... his dog... that's the ticket.

eazyb81
03-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I really don't think the 2nd round pick is that big of a waste, considering our history of 2nd round picks in the past...

Surtain is my #1 choice and could pretty much shut down 1/3 of the field every game. Rolle is still a good player, but he is not in Surtain's category.

Lzen
03-01-2005, 12:53 PM
2. If your asking me if I would take a PB corner or a second round pick I think I will take the proven PB corner

Yep. Easy decision, IMO. :thumb:

I really don't think the 2nd round pick is that big of a waste, considering our history of 2nd round picks in the past...

Surtain is my #1 choice and could pretty much shut down 1/3 of the field every game. Rolle is still a good player, but he is not in Surtain's category.

And yep. :thumb:

petegz28
03-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I'll take Surtain over Law and Rolle. Would even take Smoot over Law and Rolle.

CrazyHorse
03-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Doesn't Surtain have a degenerative knee issue?

I was told by a friend that he heard Surtains own agent said he likely had 2-3 good years left. If this is true, I would be against giving up big money + a pick for him.

Especially when you consider the league rules on contact these days. Champ Bailey got his clock cleaned half the year. If we were 1 corner from having a great defense, then okay.

Make no mistake. We have to get a good corner. But we also have to get 2 LBers. One of them likely in the draft. We need a second corner too. Not to mention the money it takes to fill these positions.

If Rolle is a notch below Surtain or Law, but signing him allows us to go after a guy like Trotter. Or even couple our 2nd and trade up in the 1st round for a guy like Johnson, Jones, or Rolle, I would be for that before I would invest everything in Surtain.

JMO