PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts? Denver sends 4th to Browns for G Warren

Mile High Mania
03-01-2005, 10:18 AM
So, they trade for the underachieving former 1st round pick to shore up the Dline in the what appears to be new 3-4 defense.

What do you guys think of Warren and the trade?

I'm cautiously optimistic - the risk/reward is good, but there's much more to be done defensively before there's too much to get crazy about.

---------------
INDIANAPOLIS - "Big Money" is about to become new currency in Denver.
The Browns and Broncos have agreed on a trade that would send Gerard Warren to the Broncos for a fourth-round draft choice in the 2005 draft, a league source said Monday as the scouting combine was winding down.
The trade cannot be consummated until Wednesday, the first day trades in the NFL can be made in 2005. Wednesday is also the first day of free agency.

In yet another move as the Browns try to move away from back-to-back seasons of 5-11 and 4-12, starting strong safety Robert Griffith was released Monday, two days before the Browns would have to pay him a roster bonus.

"After three years in Cleveland, the Browns and I have decided that it is in both of our best interests that I become a free agent," Griffith said in a statement released by the team.

A fourth-round draft choice for Warren, who was selected third overall in the 2001 draft, is a reflection of how far Warren's status has fallen in four seasons. One week ago today, the Browns gave the 6-4, 325-pound defensive tackle permission to seek a trade with the goal of working out a deal before Wednesday, when he is due a $1.3 million roster bonus.

Warren will be reunited with Andre Patterson, his defensive line coach the last two seasons. Patterson was hired to coach the Broncos' defensive line after being told Browns coach Romeo Crennel would not retain him.

Patterson must have sold Broncos coach Mike Shanahan that Warren is not the off-the-field problem "Big Money" has earned the reputation for being. He also had to convince Shanahan that Warren could help a Broncos defense that in 2004 was the fourth-best in the NFL. The Broncos ranked fourth against the run and sixth against the pass.
"If I didn't coach him and wasn't around him every day, with what I read and what I see, I would probably have the same opinion of Gerard (as an underachiever)," Patterson said as he passed through a hallway at the Indiana Convention Center. "Nobody really understands him. Is he the smart, intelligent guy you see on Monday or is he the hip-hop gangster you see on Wednesday?

"I got to see the consistent guy all the time in my meeting room that could pick up stuff. I turned over my line games to him during the game. In that Houston game (the 2004 season finale), we had six sacks. He was the reason, whether it was him penetrating or him making the right call."

Warren was credited with 30 tackles and four sacks in 2004. He had most of his success the last five games, after Terry Robiskie took over for Butch Davis as head coach.

"He finished 2003 the same way," Patterson said.
Warren made 196 tackles and 12.5 sacks his first three seasons. His most productive season was as a rookie in 2001 when he finished with 78 tackles. He was suspended one game in 2001, when he was arrested for having an unregistered firearm in his possession. He was nearly unstoppable upon returning, making 44 tackles and three sacks in six games. He never seemed to play with the same fire until the final five games last season.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
I think Warren is awful. The Browns run defense was as bad as the Chiefs over the last few years and he has a lot to do with that.

nmt1
03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
So, they trade for the underachieving former 1st round pick to shore up the Dline in the what appears to be new 3-4 defense.

What do you guys think of Warren and the trade?

I'm cautiously optimistic - the risk/reward is good, but there's much more to be done defensively before there's too much to get crazy about.

I read the Browns were trying to get rid of him because he didn't fit in a 3-4 defense.
Warren is a Chester McGlockton clone. Motivate him and he'll play well. Unfortunately, Warren has never been as motivated as McGlockton was during parts of his career.
Could be a good signing though. Change of scenery can do wonders.

tyton75
03-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I'd say its probably a good risk.. for only a 4th rounder..

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I guess the Rat wanted his own version of Ryan Sims.

vckcchiefs04
03-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Who cares.... it's the donks? :shrug:

Mile High Mania
03-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I don't know much about him other than he's not been worthy of his draft status. Could be b/c the Browns suck. I dunno.

A change of scenery is sometimes a good thing. They've taken risks before (Jelly & IHOP), but here they don't appear to be losing much - just a 4th and the cap number should be fairly decent.

We'll see...

BigChiefFan
03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
He's all potential and no substance.

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 10:25 AM
McGlockton, Gardner, Warren, Sims...peas in a pod

ck_IN
03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
You're only giving up a 4th and if you can sign him to a small contract with some incentives then it's a good trade.

He has the skills, he just needs to get his head screwed on straight. Indeed he's much like Ryan Sims in that respect.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
On the surface, it looks like a good trade. They got a DT with LOADS of talent for a 4th-round pick. All he needs is some motivation.

Of course, that all assumes that they run a 4-3.

They're switching to a 3-4 and thus, this trade makes ZERO SENSE. Warren is not very good playing 2-gap defense...

shaneo69
03-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Funny....Crennel doesn't want him because he doesn't fit the 3-4 scheme, yet the Broncos want to make him the centerpiece of their 3-4. :hmmm:

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Funny....Crennel doesn't want him because he doesn't fit the 3-4 scheme, yet the Broncos want to make him the centerpiece of their 3-4. :hmmm:

Yep. I don't get it either.

It's basically the same Gunther said about Ryan Sims coming into last season. Warren struggles in a 2-gap (lined up directly across from an OL). Most 3-4 schemes depend on 2-gap recognition by the DT.

Braincase
03-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Denver's capology team, comprised of accounting experts formerly employed by Arthur Anderson, Enron, and WorldCom, have stated that the Broncos are more than 90 million dollars under the cap.

Hoover
03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
For a 4th round pick, yeah thats a great move imo. He has his issues, but in the right place he could pan out.

Rain Man
03-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Wow. This is a surprise. From what I've seen of Warren, he's dumb as a box of rocks and has drawn some silly penalties, but it still seems like he's worth a 4th-rounder (assuming of course that he's making 4th-rounder money).

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Only time will tell, but a 4th round pick isn't really that much Risk.

A change of scenery might be the motivation he needs(see Lional Dalton in KC). A reasonable contract and its worth the gamble.

You'll have to forgive me MhM, I hope he signs a huge contract and is a miserable Bust.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 11:17 AM
I'd say its probably a good risk.. for only a 4th rounder..

agreed ... i would of thought a 5th would of been a better deal, but it's a decent enough risk.

unless, of course, you find out later that there is also an conditional pick next year that will cost you another 4th based on warrens playing time. :cuss: