PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I am retracting my endorsement of Dwight Smith

shaneo69
03-01-2005, 10:25 AM
I have pimped Smith on at least two threads so far as the CB I'd like to see us sign in FA, but this changes things a bit...

Smith Arrested, Accused Of Pulling Pellet Gun On Fans
By KEITH MORELLI kmorelli@tampatrib.com
Published: Mar 1, 2005

TAMPA - A confrontation in a fast-food drive through line early this morning landed Tampa Bay Buccaneer Dwight Smith in jail.
It was the second time in two years the defensive back was arrested on a weapons charge.

The incident occurred in the drive through line of the MacDonald's restaurant on North Dale Mabry Highway at Ehrlich Road at 4 a.m. Tuesday, said Hillsborough County sheriff's spokesperson Debbie Carter.

In line in front of Smith was Trevor L. Boyce Jr., 19, of 4004 Pebblestone Place, Carter said. With him was Javier Joseph Jr., 22, of 5432 Deerbrook Creek Drive, Apt. 7 and an unidentified female passenger in the back seat.

Carter said the three recognized the driver of the 2004 BMW behind them in line as Smith. Boyce and Joseph got out of the car and walked back to talk to him, Carter said.

That's when Smith, 26, allegedly pulled a pellet gun and pointed it at the two, asking why they were approaching him. A passenger in Smith's car, David Roston, 36, Smith's roommate, got out and a confrontation ensued that resulted in Roston punching Boyce, Carter said.

Boyce and Joseph got back into their car and got out of line to call authorities. Smith and Roston stayed in line and were still at the scene when deputies arrived.

After an interview with Roston and Smith, who consented to the search of his BMW that recovered the weapon, the two were charged. Smith was charged with aggravated assault and Roston was charged with battery. Two other unidentified passengers in the BMW were not charged, Carter said.

Smith was released from the Hillsborough County jail after posting $2,000 cash bail, records show. Bail information on Roston was unavailable.

On his booking sheet, Smith said he was unemployed.

In August 2003, Smith pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of improper exhibition of a firearm in a Clearwater road-rage incident earlier that year.

He was found guilty and sentenced to one year probation and 25 hours of community service. He also was orderd to complete eight hours of anger management counseling.

Smith initially was charged with aggravated assault, a felony that carries a three-year mandatory prison term. He was accused of pointing a 9 mm handgun equipped with a laser sighting device at a motorist in April 2003.

Asked at the time if he learned anything from the experience with the legal system, Smith responded: ``Yes, it is time to grow up.''

vckcchiefs04
03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I have pimped Smith on at least two threads so far as the CB I'd like to see us sign in FA, but this changes things a bit...

Smith Arrested, Accused Of Pulling Pellet Gun On Fans
By KEITH MORELLI kmorelli@tampatrib.com
Published: Mar 1, 2005

TAMPA - A confrontation in a fast-food drive through line early this morning landed Tampa Bay Buccaneer Dwight Smith in jail.
It was the second time in two years the defensive back was arrested on a weapons charge.

The incident occurred in the drive through line of the MacDonald's restaurant on North Dale Mabry Highway at Ehrlich Road at 4 a.m. Tuesday, said Hillsborough County sheriff's spokesperson Debbie Carter.

In line in front of Smith was Trevor L. Boyce Jr., 19, of 4004 Pebblestone Place, Carter said. With him was Javier Joseph Jr., 22, of 5432 Deerbrook Creek Drive, Apt. 7 and an unidentified female passenger in the back seat.

Carter said the three recognized the driver of the 2004 BMW behind them in line as Smith. Boyce and Joseph got out of the car and walked back to talk to him, Carter said.

That's when Smith, 26, allegedly pulled a pellet gun and pointed it at the two, asking why they were approaching him. A passenger in Smith's car, David Roston, 36, Smith's roommate, got out and a confrontation ensued that resulted in Roston punching Boyce, Carter said.

Boyce and Joseph got back into their car and got out of line to call authorities. Smith and Roston stayed in line and were still at the scene when deputies arrived.

After an interview with Roston and Smith, who consented to the search of his BMW that recovered the weapon, the two were charged. Smith was charged with aggravated assault and Roston was charged with battery. Two other unidentified passengers in the BMW were not charged, Carter said.

Smith was released from the Hillsborough County jail after posting $2,000 cash bail, records show. Bail information on Roston was unavailable.

On his booking sheet, Smith said he was unemployed.

In August 2003, Smith pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of improper exhibition of a firearm in a Clearwater road-rage incident earlier that year.

He was found guilty and sentenced to one year probation and 25 hours of community service. He also was orderd to complete eight hours of anger management counseling.

Smith initially was charged with aggravated assault, a felony that carries a three-year mandatory prison term. He was accused of pointing a 9 mm handgun equipped with a laser sighting device at a motorist in April 2003.

Asked at the time if he learned anything from the experience with the legal system, Smith responded: ``Yes, it is time to grow up.''

Sounds like a Raider to me! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Ultra Peanut
03-01-2005, 10:40 AM
This is the Dwight Smith (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/smithdw01.shtml) I always think of when I hear the name.

I got his autograph in the lobby of the Marriott in St. Louis the day before (?) seeing my first Cubs game in person in 1992.

When I came back from that trip, I was playing baseball with a friend and my cousin in a big field near my house. They got into an argument, I tried to break it up, and I somehow ended up getting hit in the head with an aluminum baseball bat.

I remember everybody in the neighborhood congregating at my front door shortly after I ran back to my house and collapsed on the staircase. It was like a grapefruit was growing out of my forehead for a while, there.

shaneo69
03-01-2005, 10:53 AM
This is the Dwight Smith (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/smithdw01.shtml) I always think of when I hear the name.

I got his autograph in the lobby of the Marriott in St. Louis the day before (?) seeing my first Cubs game in person in 1992.

When I came back from that trip, I was playing baseball with a friend and my cousin in a big field near my house. They got into an argument, I tried to break it up, and I somehow ended up getting hit in the head with an aluminum baseball bat.

I remember everybody in the neighborhood congregating at my front door shortly after I ran back to my house and collapsed on the staircase. It was like a grapefruit was growing out of my forehead for a while, there.

That's funny, most Cubs fans became fans after they got knocked senseless from a blow to the head.

Ultra Peanut
03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
That's funny, most Cubs fans became fans after they got knocked senseless from a blow to the head.I'm convinced someone dropped me on my head when I was a baby and they never had the heart to tell me about it.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, was my 25,000th post.

Archie Bunker
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Still made Gannon and the Raiders cry though ROFL

That Super Bowl is still one of my favorite games to watch.

KC Kings
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
"The incident occurred in the drive through line of the MacDonald's restaurant on North Dale Mabry Highway at Ehrlich Road at 4 a.m. "

MacDonalds? Isn't that the restaraunt Eddie Murphey worked at in "Coming to America"?

Bearcat2005
03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Talk about being annoyed! :grr:

Bucs' Super Bowl hero charged with pulling pellet gun on fans

TAMPA, Fla. - Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Dwight Smith was arrested early Tuesday and charged with a pulling a pellet gun on two fans who approached his car while he waited in line at a McDonald's window.

Advertisment

Smith, a star in the Super Bowl two years ago, was inside his car with a friend at 4 a.m. when a woman in the car ahead of them recognized the player, the Hillsborough County sheriff's office said.

Two men in the car, Trevor Boyce Jr., 19, and Javier Joseph Jr., 22, walked to Smith's car and tried to talk to him, officials added. Smith became annoyed and drew the pellet gun but did not shoot it, officials said. David Roston, Smith's 26-year-old friend, got out of the car and punched Boyce, officials said.

Boyce and Joseph got back in their car and called 911. Deputies arrived and arrested Smith, charging him with aggravated assault with a weapon. Roston was charged with battery. Bail and attorney information was not immediately available.

The Buccaneers and Smith's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not immediately return calls.

Smith pleaded guilty in 2003 to pulling a gun on a motorist. He was fined $225, put on a year's probation, ordered to take anger management classes and complete 25 hours of community service.

Smith returned two interceptions for touchdowns in the Bucs' 2003 Super Bowl win over Oakland. The 26-year-old safety is a four-year veteran who had three interceptions and 83 tackles last season, playing all 16 games.

http://theredzone.org/news/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=2328

eazyb81
03-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a class act.

Bearcat2005
03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Sounds like a class act.

I wonder if he is a FA this year? :hmmm:

Phobia
03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I think the police got the wrong guys. If somebody approached my car at 4:00 AM there would be hell to pay.

Alphaman
03-01-2005, 12:02 PM
"The incident occurred in the drive through line of the MacDonald's restaurant on North Dale Mabry Highway at Ehrlich Road at 4 a.m. "

Come on guys, if you are a millionaire athlete driving a BMW and two guys get out of the car in front of you and walk back to your car (so you are presumably blocked in) at 4 a.m. doesn't it cross your mind that this could be a car jacking?

That is not an unreasonable reaction at all.

Phobia
03-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Come on guys, if you are a millionaire athlete driving a BMW and two guys get out of the car in front of you and walk back to your car (so you are presumably blocked in) at 4 a.m. doesn't it cross your mind that this could be a car jacking?

That's what I said in the other thread. A lot of cops are so dumb that when they are confused, they just side with the individual who called them.

Which is why you should always be the one who called in any sort of altercation.

Dartgod
03-01-2005, 12:05 PM
He's just pissed 'cause Gannon is being forced to retire.

HemiEd
03-01-2005, 12:06 PM

I agree with this, it is also carjacking territory.

Bwana
03-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I think the police got the wrong guys. If somebody approached my car at 4:00 AM there would be hell to pay.

That was my first thought, but I don't sport a "BB Gun."