PDA

View Full Version : Position needs aside, what are the best and worst teams to be drafted by?

Rain Man
03-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Setting aside our Chiefs loyalties and any position-specific needs, what are the teams that you think players want to go to? Think in terms of salaries paid, front office largesse, coaching personalities, team cohesion and success, media exposure, nice city to live in, nice stadium, weather, etc. Who rises to the top? Who sinks to the bottom?

I would guess that New England is a popular place right now, even if there seems to be less big money being thrown around.

Would rookies want to go play for Parcells? He's a legend and the Cowboys are high-visibility, but Parcells is kind of mean.

What about the Jets and Giants? Good media, good money, how are the front offices? San Diego? Solid, old school coach, but you always have to play one extra game in January, even though you get the rest of January off.

And on the other side of the equation, I'd sure hate to be practicing in Phoenix for a team that never wins and is cheap. Did Cincy get their new stadium, because I know their old one supposedly had a really old-school locker room. Anyone else on the bad side?

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:26 PM
It's hard to put my loyalties aside.

If I were a player, one of the LAST places I'd want to go is Kansas City.

David.
03-01-2005, 12:27 PM
I sure wouldn't want to play in Minnesota or Green Bay.

Friggin freezing up there.

and the weird accents.

eazyb81
03-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Anywhere with artificial turf would be pretty bad. I wouldn't want to screw up my legs or get turf toe on that sh#t.

Bowser
Any Florida team would be choice. Good weather and no state taxes.

I think Cleveland would suck because, well, it's Cleveland.

Rain Man
It's hard to put my loyalties aside.

If I were a player, one of the LAST places I'd want to go is Kansas City.

Oh. That reminds me. Another criteria would be, "Would they let you sniff the field before you're a seven-year veteran?"

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Oh. That reminds me. Another criteria would be, "Would they let you sniff the field before you're a seven-year veteran?"

You read my mind.

MOhillbilly
03-01-2005, 12:32 PM
San fran-worst the front office is a mess and they aint gettin better any time soon.

Washington-Best- owner that pays big,Gibbs&Williams, a team on its way up, big media town, big time franchise.

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 12:32 PM
If I was a player being drafted in the first or second round, I'd want to go to a place like KC.

My number one priority is the chance to play right away. Number two is the chance to be on a .500 team that is on the rise with great expectations of playoff and SB aspirations. Number three would be a team that has a tremendous fan base and is an exciting place to play. And lastly would be the city, and what it would provide for me a new citizen.

My first place would be KC. I wouldn't mind playing for Green Bay, Chicago, Dallas or- and I'll get lamblasted for this- Denver.

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Texas and Florida are both without state income tax, so it's a natural place, for people who make huge sums of money, to want to live.

<b>Miami</b> = great beaches, hotties, excellent weather
<b>New York/Philly/DC/Dallas/LA</b>(they'll get a team again) = maximum exposure - able to make huge $ on advertizing and movie/television deals

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
If I was a player being drafted in the first or second round, I'd want to go to a place like KC.

My number one priority is the chance to play right away. Number two is the chance to be on a .500 team that is on the rise with great expectations of playoff and SB aspirations. Number three would be a team that has a tremendous fan base and is an exciting place to play. And lastly would be the city, and what it would provide for me a new citizen.

My first place would be KC. I wouldn't mind playing for Green Bay, Chicago, Dallas or- and I'll get lamblasted for this- Denver.

If your number one priority is the chance to play right away, why in the **** would you choose the Chiefs?

:banghead:

Phobia
03-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Any Florida team would be choice. Good weather and no state taxes.

Same thing with with Texas teams. Though, they do pay state income tax for road games. Still, that's 8 games a year no state tax.

Denver is a pretty nice town with new facilities. Despite the rivalry aspect, I recognize that they have it pretty good at the moment.

I think KC would be one of the LAST choices. Many of our own players don't even live here.

ck_IN
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM
My least favourite places to go would be 'Zona (where careers go to die), Philly (they booed Santa Clause for Gawds sake), Detroit (Philly junior), Either NY team (just because I hate NY), Oakland (the spawn of satan, team and fans)

Best places would be KC (coach aside, the fans 'get it'), Indy (much the same reason), Titans (coach gets it and great fans), Any Parcells team (he's a hardazz but he wins)

Phobia
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM

This is the fan posting this, man. Heh. Realistically, you need to look at this from the perspective of a spoiled 21/22 YO kid and his money grubbing agents.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 12:38 PM
A lot of these kids have more than just the on-field activities in mind. Would you rather be a rich football star in the Miami hot spots, or at the BW3 in Green Bay?

Minnesota, GB, KC would definately be less cool in terms of "outside of football" life.

ck_IN
03-01-2005, 12:40 PM
<i>My number one priority is the chance to play right away. Number two is the chance to be on a .500 team that is on the rise with great expectations of playoff and SB aspirations. Number three would be a team that has a tremendous fan base and is an exciting place to play. And lastly would be the city, and what it would provide for me a new citizen.</i>

So I take it your reasons are in reverse order. That'd be the only way you could explain KC being at the top of your list.

cron912
03-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Not by the Chiefs. Pretty much guarantee that I would be a bust.

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 12:44 PM
FWIW, note that rookies use a slotted salary structure so which team drafts you doesn't make THAT much difference in terms of your pay over the life of your first contract.

Down the road, however, it could make a difference.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
I don't think these kids mind going to a place like Arizona. They just want to get on the field.

It's after they've logged a couple of seasons that they start wanting to win, then they want out.

I'd pick Arizona over KC if I were a rookie, based solely on the chance to play.

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd pick Arizona over KC if I were a rookie, based solely on the chance to play.

Offense maybe, but not defense.

Rain Man
03-01-2005, 12:50 PM
I'd want to play for a coach like Dungy or Herm Edwards or Gruden.

I'd like to play for Vermeil if I was a low draft choice, because I'd know that he'd try to help me get on another team if I got cut. I wouldn't want to play for him if I was a high draft choice, because he'd underutilize me.

Rain Man
03-01-2005, 12:51 PM

Keyaron Fox is going to come to your house and punch you.

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Never playing in front of a home crowd probably sucks, tho.

You're not kididng. When the Pats played there early this past year I was like "this is an away game, right?" You'd never have known it...

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:52 PM

I don't get what you mean. Vermeil doesn't play rookies on either side of the ball. The fact that we had more rookies start on defense is a testament to how bad we suck and how many injuries we've had.

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Keyaron Fox is going to come to your house and punch you.

He'll miss 'cause I'm not at home.

Phobia
03-01-2005, 12:56 PM
He'll miss 'cause I'm not at home.

Your roomie will let him in and when you arrive home he'll be sitting on the couch waiting to kick you in the nuts.

*** this is an original Phobia story. The characters aren't intended to resemble any other person, real or imagined.

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't get what you mean. Vermeil doesn't play rookies on either side of the ball. The fact that we had more rookies start on defense is a testament to how bad we suck and how many injuries we've had.

I was just making a bad joke in reference to our defense.

RedandGold
03-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Right now, I would say that it would be a toss-up between San Francisco, Cleveland, and Green Bay.

San Francisco - Poor management, lack of talent, and no signs of improving anytime soon.

Cleveland - Mediocre talent, unstable coaching situation, and having to deal with the fact that you're in Cleveland.

Green Bay - With Favre heading towards retirement, they will not be in a winning situation anytime soon. All that you're left with is an average team that has to play in crappy weather.

I would have to say that with the way that New England is being managed/coached, they would have to be the best place to go right now.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Arizona. Truly a FO not devoted to winning.

New York. Tons of pressure.

Oakland. Its Oakland.

crossbow
03-01-2005, 03:27 PM
1) Tampa Bay: Great weather and not as conjested as Miami.
2) Jacksonville: Same as above.
3) Miami: crowded but you could find a nice place away from the city.
4) Sandy Eggo: Good weather/good team.
5) KC: Great fan support and you wouldn't even have to produce for years. Just ride the pine for 5 years and get paid for your potential. Then get cut and make the probowl with another team.

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Cleveland - Mediocre talent, unstable coaching situation, and having to deal with the fact that you're in Cleveland.

Mediocre talent, yes. Cleveland, yes. "unstable coaching"?? They've revamped their coaching and front office, bringing in quality guys from two teams that have, combined, won 4 out of the last 5 Super Bowls...

Rain Man
03-01-2005, 04:50 PM
1) Tampa Bay: Great weather and not as conjested as Miami.
2) Jacksonville: Same as above.
3) Miami: crowded but you could find a nice place away from the city.
4) Sandy Eggo: Good weather/good team.
5) KC: Great fan support and you wouldn't even have to produce for years. Just ride the pine for 5 years and get paid for your potential. Then get cut and make the probowl with another team.

I wouldn't want to go somewhere too hot and humid. How about Carolina or Tennessee? Pretty good coaching, reasonable front office, moderate weather, and at least in Tennessee, a strong fan presence.