PDA

View Full Version : Giants steal Pierce away from Redskins

booger
03-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Sources told FOXSports.com that the Giants have come to terms on a deal with Washington Redskins MLB Antonio Pierce, a huge loss for their division rivals Redskins. Pierce also had interest from the Chiefs and an offer from the Vikings, who jumped into the fray today.

The deal is a six-year deal worth $26 million and includes a $6.5 million signing bonus, a tremendous figure for the up-and-coming linebacker. The structure of the deal is also done in a way to benefit the Giants salary cap and gives them some wiggle room over the course of the deal. Pierce has not yet signed but the agreement is in place.

Pierce was loved by Redskins LB Gregg Williams, who once told FOXSports.com that Pierce is one of the smartest linebackers the defensive coordinator has ever coached in his career. Ironically, he was able to jumpstart his career when he filled in at Washington for another former Giant, Michael Barrow.

Bell, brought in by the Giants earlier in the day, was brought to New York for a physical but the team soon backed off when Pierce came into the picture. It's unclear if the Giants had Pierce in their sights during Bell's visit or if they jumped into the Pierce derby as a result of Bell's visit.

Pierce had a breakthrough season in 2004 when he registered 160 tackles according to the Redskins totals, 112 according to the numbers on NFL.com. He was also responsible for making several defensive calls and often helped putting other players in the correct position.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3433974

booger
03-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Hell, I think that might be a bit cheaper for what we got Barber for. Not really sure though. Signing bonus isn't that bad for the guys like Trotter, Hartwell and Bell.

This also leaves us with Bell as insurance as the Giants wanted him before getting Pierce.

shaneo69
03-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Damn, I wanted Pierce more than Hartwell or Trotter.

MGRS13
03-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Hell, I think that might be a bit cheaper for what we got Barber for. Not really sure though. Signing bonus isn't that bad for the guys like Trotter, Hartwell and Bell.

This also leaves us with Bell as insurance as the Giants wanted him before getting Pierce.
The giants were high on Bell untill his physical. Which is why they decided to go with pierce. If thats not a red flag for Bell I don't know what is.

Hammock Parties
03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like half the NFC East teams lose their players to each other every year?

jspchief
03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
I wasn't that high on Pierce. He's a one year wonder (so far) that only got the start due to injuries, and was surrounded by talent.

booger
03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
From the article It says it is unclear. Bell is fourth on my list anyway because of his injury past.

I wanted in this order
Hartwell
Pierce
Trotter
Bell