PDA

View Full Version : How does Al keep signing FA's and keep good cap order?

Red Dawg
03-03-2005, 10:43 AM
We always hear money is not available. Al has resigned Porter to big money, Moss took a pay cut but not much of one. They are going to give Woodson 10 mil and now they have signed a tough runner in Jordan.

We have sat here for over a day with 3 good FA's in town and heard close to nothing. ABSOLUTELY PATHEDIC!

Iowanian
03-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Fuzzy Bronco Math.

Same cap math used by Denver and Washington.

tomahawk kid
03-03-2005, 10:45 AM
He's Satan.

Next question.

PastorMikH
03-03-2005, 10:45 AM
They cheat.

Wallcrawler
03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Same way the Redskins do.

Long term deals, with ascending contracts. The player makes very little in salary in the first couple seasons, and the bonus is pro-rated over the length of the contract.

It isnt until about the 3rd or 4th season where the numbers start to get where they are unaffordable, and then the contract is either restructured, or the player is traded or cut.

The Raiders have had to cut some players this year to fit under the cap, and their defense is abysmal right now.

Their best bet would be to trade Woodson and clear that 10 million dollar salary and sign a couple players to that defense.

Vegas_Dave
03-03-2005, 10:49 AM
yes it is; but spelled: pathetic

Brock
03-03-2005, 10:52 AM
They will have to let Woodson go one way or the other.

TheNextStep
03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Fuzzy Bronco Math.

Same cap math used by Denver and Washington.

Not very likely, considering it was Al Davis who reported to the league that the Broncos were cheating and started the whole investigation in the first place...

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Not very likely, considering it was Al Davis who reported to the league that the Broncos were cheating and started the whole investigation in the first place...

Of course he did...

It's a called a DIVERSION.

Spicy McHaggis
03-03-2005, 11:13 AM

So he's Satan and a snitch.

TheNextStep
03-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Of course he did...

It's a called a DIVERSION.
Oh... you're one of THOSE guys.

Who was the second shooter on the grassy knoll?
How did the US stage a plane crash at the pentagon?
How long has the government been working with the Aliens?

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 11:15 AM

I don't believe in conspiracies and cover-ups.

Besides, Al has made no attempt to cover up the fact that he's a greasy old slimeball.

Iowanian
03-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Like its news that Davis is a crook..........Its possible he turned in the Broncos, because he's fighting with shannarat because he Ripped HIM off too.

Al Davis is a slimeball. Don't act indignant like you don't know that.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-03-2005, 11:29 AM
You don't need a new stadium to have a lot of money for the signing bonuses, etc, just look at the Raiders and the crap house they play in. If you really want a player(s), you'll get him. The owners are freakin' gazillionaires, and they don't pay someone to be in charge of the cap for nothing. If you want a player so bad, you'll find a way.

Dave Lane
03-03-2005, 11:31 AM
I think I saw Al in a movie the other day. The film was Constantine and he definately was in it.

Dave

TheNextStep
03-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm not getting indignant at all. In fact, I think it is pretty funny. I know when I come to this board that Al Davis isn't exactly the most revered person, so it isn't like y'all speaking poorly of him has any "shock value" or anything. I just think it is funny that you guys are basically pissed off because the Raiders are having a slam dunk off-season so far and you're finding anything and everything to complain about.

"The defense is still bad!"
"Moss doesn't scare me!"
"Al Davis cheats on the cap!"

Y'all are doing pretty much anything you can do to avoid stating the obvious: The Raiders are more dangerous today than they were a month ago. Period.

Really, though, you guys crack me up:

Two weeks ago, people were saying that the Raiders would never be able to re-sign Jerry Porter.

A week and a half ago, people were saying now that the Raiders re-signed Jerry Porter they would never be able to afford keeping Charles Woodson as a franchise player.

A week ago, people were saying that since the Raiders franchised Charles Woodson there was no way that they would ever be able to afford trading for Randy Moss.

Five days ago, people were saying that since the Raiders traded for Randy Moss, there was no way that they would be able to afford a running back.

Today, people are saying that now that the Raiders have added the top free agent running back, there is no way that they will be able add players to their defense.

Put yourself in my shoes and tell me honestly that you wouldn't be laughing about all of this...

Iowanian
03-03-2005, 12:09 PM
...And isn't it Ironic that they're able to spend that much loot on such a few players, in a salary cap league.

Calcountry
03-03-2005, 12:45 PM

How long has the government been working with the Aliens?But I do! WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT COUNT CO CO FANG?

KCTitus
03-03-2005, 12:48 PM
The Raiders have had to cut some players this year to fit under the cap, and their defense is abysmal right now.

I noticed that they let go of Parella...Parella was the man to sign back in 2002 when KC sat on its hands that year. I guess he's available now.

Eleazar
03-03-2005, 12:52 PM

bahahahahaha

You think there was a government BEFORE the aliens.

I for one welcome our insect overlords. I could be useful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

PastorMikH
03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
The Raiders are more dangerous today than they were a month ago. Period.

Sure they are. Now that the ProBowl and all is over, they know they have several months to take care of any legal issues they get into before camp starts. Thus, they are more likely to act like the thugs they are while on the streets.

BEWARE! Avoid Raiders Players until at least May!

TheNextStep
03-03-2005, 01:46 PM
...And isn't it Ironic that they're able to spend that much loot on such a few players, in a salary cap league.
Not particularly. Jerry Porter's cap hit next season is going to be 2.4 million dollars. That's certainly not unreasonable. If the announced restructure of Randy Moss' contract goes through, he'll count approximately 2.2 million dollars against the cap. That's 4.6 million dollars for the top two receivers on the roster. That's certainly not a cap buster. Further, unless there are unannounced roster bonuses (which is possible) in Porter's contract his cap hit will remain about the same for the next three years, where his salary holds steady at 1 million per year.

The thing that gets people all riled up about Oakland's salary cap is that you guys give entirely too much credence to what John Clayton has to say on the matter. This makes the 5th consecutive year that Clayton has written his "Raiders over the cap and it is time to panic" article... and this also makes the 5th consecutive year that he's absolutely wrong about it. In fact, it was John Clayton who said that Woodson signing his franchise tender put the Raiders in a cap bind. That is patently untrue. According to the collective bargaining agreement, when a team franchises a player, that salary counts against the Team Salary from the moment the tender is OFFERED, regardless of whether or not it is signed or not. Frankly, Clayton either doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about or else he figures that he can keep writing the same article over and over again without anyone catching on.

The Raiders are not the Vikings. They will never be the team that people say, "Wow! They're XXX Million under the cap!" They are, however, an exceptionally good front office when it comes to the salary cap. I heard somebody ask in another thread, "I thought their cap guru went to Tampa" in reference to Bruce Allen. Thing is, within a week of leaving, Bruce Allen himself was quoted as saying that the Raider front office was more than equipped to handle his loss because the knowledge base of the salary cap was still in place. Mike Lombardi has proven that.

If you're getting upset about the Raiders salary cap, well, I think you're just looking for something to be upset about.

TheNextStep
03-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Sure they are. Now that the ProBowl and all is over, they know they have several months to take care of any legal issues they get into before camp starts. Thus, they are more likely to act like the thugs they are while on the streets.

BEWARE! Avoid Raiders Players until at least May!
Didn't I see a thread here about how Eric Warfield is now a convicted felon?

Thought so.

By the way, nice to see you again, Pastor. Hope all is well with you.