PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Tier Free Agents

Chiefnj
03-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Let's assume Hartwell is the top FA LB and is going to demand too much money and that Trotter's knees don't pass the physical (didn't he fail a physical at least one other team before signing with Philly for minimum salary?)

The Chiefs still need MLB and OLB help. What about Claiborne, Polley or Holdman? Any other darkhorse candidates?

Claiborne was a stud in Detroit for a few years. He went to Minny and has disappeared into a black hole along with the rest of their defense. A new team might bring out his old form. Didn't the Chiefs make an offer to Holdman a few years back?

HC_Chief
03-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Holdman has already single-handedly given KC more victories than our current LB corps :p

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 11:07 AM
I'd take a flyer on Claiborne. He's fast.

Warrior5
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
just in case the Chiefs don't sign someone to a contract today and someone on this board is in danger of having an aneurysm. Lots of talent still out there (although they may be signed by the time of this thread).

I think Claiborne missed 6 games last year for some type of injury.

Polley is a definite candidate, as is Holdman.

Brian Simmons (CIN) had a great year in 04, but he was on the Bengals and he's 30.

Akin Ayodele (JAX) is intriguing and 26.

Adalius Thomas (BAL) is a definite darkhorse, but I think he re-signed.

Hoover
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
I think we as fans need to chill out a bit. So i welcome the talk of 2nd Tier Free Agents.

We must get a legit CB and LB in Free Agency, I expect to see those two positions get large contracts.

Here is how I would shake it down

1. Rolle - CB
2. MLB - Trotter or Hartwell top choice

Then the 2nd tier guys
Getting another LB is important because we don't know if Johnson will be sitting there at 15 when we draft.

The best thing that can happen is we Sign a starting MLB, and a Starting CB before the draft. It would be even better if we signed a OLB.

Then in round one we take either a CB, DE, or OLB. When the second round starts we call Miami and get ready to make the deal for Surtain. If a defensive player we really like is there we take him, if not we make the deal with Miami.

Think about this D Starters

DE: Allen, 1st Round Pick
DT: Sims, Savii
OLB: Gold, Fujita
MLB: Trotter
CBs: Rolle, Surtain, Warfield
Safties: Sorry but Woods and Wesley

Thats a huge make over, do I think it will happen? No. But it could. It all depends on getting at MLB and CB in Free Agency.

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 11:09 AM
just in case the Chiefs don't sign someone to a contract today and someone on this board is in danger of having an aneurysm. Lots of talent still out there (although they may be signed by the time of this thread).

Brian Simmons (CIN) had a great year in 04, but he was on the Bengals and he's 30.

I thought Ayodele got a tag?

HC_Chief
03-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Brian Simmons is a very good LB.

King_Chief_Fan
03-03-2005, 11:11 AM

Polley -- that is who the Rams got for the Chiefs getting DV.

Let's trade DV back to the Rams for Tommy Polley!!!:thumb:

matts22
03-03-2005, 12:03 PM

I don't know, but the guy is a stud.

shaneo69
03-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't know, but the guy is a stud.

He's a restricted free agent.

shaneo69
03-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Let's assume Hartwell is the top FA LB and is going to demand too much money and that Trotter's knees don't pass the physical (didn't he fail a physical at least one other team before signing with Philly for minimum salary?)

The Chiefs still need MLB and OLB help. What about Claiborne, Polley or Holdman? Any other darkhorse candidates?

Claiborne was a stud in Detroit for a few years. He went to Minny and has disappeared into a black hole along with the rest of their defense. A new team might bring out his old form. Didn't the Chiefs make an offer to Holdman a few years back?

Yes, the Chiefs will probably end up stuck with a 2nd tier guy or two. I don't see any of those guys you listed as upgrades, though. Claiborne was a stud in college, and has been a Ryan Sims in the pros. Polley has just plain sucked for the Rams. And I don't think Holdman has come back strong from his previous knee injury. Did he even start last year for the Browns?

I think our best option is to go with Key Fox or a draftee at WLB this year, as opposed to spending money on any of those guys.

HolmeZz
03-03-2005, 12:16 PM

Jags tagged Darius.

Chiefnj
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Claiborne was a stud in college, and has been a Ryan Sims in the pros. .

That is simply untrue. Claiborne was an excellent linebacker when he was with the Lions. He had three straight years. Detroit had a top 10 rundefense in 2002 when he played MLB for them, despite having an atroicious team all around. He hasn't done as well with the Vikings, but I think that is more system than player - lots of guys go unnoticed in Minny.

htismaqe
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
He's a restricted free agent.

Ah. That's what it was.

They gave him a higher tender so that he'd cost 1st-round picks...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-03-2005, 12:37 PM
What about Morlon Greenwood? I think he would be a good pickup