PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones

Mr. Laz
03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
a press conference on the NFL channel, talking about signing free agent DT jason Ferguson...

(paraphrase)

"i've learned over the years from mistakes that when i have tried to sneak by on the cheap, that's usually when things don't work out. When you go cheap, you usually get what you pay for. When you try to just get by in free agency it doesn't work. But when i'm agressive ... even when i overpay while i'm aggressive ... like when i overpaid for the Dallas Cowboys, and i did over pay ... that's when your dealing with quality and things tend to work out"

Wallcrawler
03-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Take some notes Carl.

The Cowboys are having a pretty damn good free agency.

Confirmed signings of QB Drew Bledsoe, DT Jason Ferguson, CB Anthony Henry, and NFL Network said that they are awaiting a possible THIRD press conference announcing the signing of G Marco Rivera from the Pack.

I wish our front office was this aggressive.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd be interested in what Kraft, Pioli or Belichick has to say about how to achieve success in today's NFL. Jones and the Cowboys haven't done anything since '95 that would make me care what his approach or his opinion is.

Ghostof
03-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Bah, We dont need to sign anyone this year....we'll just keep the same defense.

tk13
03-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Somebody needs to tell Jerry that all his success as an owner came when Jimmy Johnson was drafting studs up and down the board for him... :)

Chiefnj
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
It's about addressing weaknesses.

The Pats had a major weakness last year - running back, but they made the move for Dillon and it paid off. The Eagles were having trouble making it over the NFC Championship hump and made the necessary moves for Owens and Kearse.

This year with Law moving on the Pats have identified a weakness in the secondary and made a move for Starks.

The Pats don't overpay, but Dallas does. In any event the teams identify problem areas and do something to fix it. That's the key.

jspchief
03-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I'd be interested in what Kraft, Pioli or Belichick has to say about how to achieve success in today's NFL. Jones and the Cowboys haven't done anything since '95 that would make me care what his approach or his opinion is.

I'd like to hear Kraft, Pioli, or Belichick say with a straight face that they knew what they were getting when they took Brady in the 6th round.

jspchief
03-03-2005, 03:20 PM

The Pats had a major weakness last year - running back, but they made the move for Dillon and it paid off. The Eagles were having trouble making it over the NFC Championship hump and made the necessary moves for Owens and Kearse.

This year with Law moving on the Pats have identified a weakness in the secondary and made a move for Starks.

The Pats don't overpay, but Dallas does. In any event the teams identify problem areas and do something to fix it. That's the key.

They also went after Mason. Fox radio reported that Mason turned down a bigger contract in NE to go to Baltimore.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 03:23 PM

The Pats don't overpay, but Dallas does. In any event the teams identify problem areas and do something to fix it. That's the key.No doubt. My point is that why would anyone care what Jerry Jones has to say; Dallas right now is no more successful than we are. If you want to make a point, make it yourself, or at least quote someone who's successful. There's about as much merit in Peterson's approach as there is is in Jones'. Which is to say not a whole lot. Both franchises have been a joke for the last 7 or 8 years.

Our problem here is, I think, talent evaluation. We misevaluate our own talent, we make repeated mistakes with draft picks, we make mistakes evaluating free agents. We just suck at it. That's what has to be fixed. It's not a matter of how aggressive we are or are not in free agency. If we could draft worth a damn we wouldn't be in this desperate position in the first place...

Mr. Laz
03-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Somebody needs to tell Jerry that all his success as an owner came when Jimmy Johnson was drafting studs up and down the board for him... :)
yea ... and Somebody needs to tell Carl that all his success as an GM came when Marty was drafting studs up and down the board for him.

KevB
03-03-2005, 03:32 PM
If we could draft worth a damn we wouldn't be in this desperate position in the first place...

Exactly. Trying to compare the Chiefs to the likes of the Pats and Eagles in relation to free agent signings is apples and oranges. Those teams don't necessarily need to be aggressive and overpay because they draft and develop their own talent. We suck at it. Most of our good players were obtained through trade and free agency.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
And we've been devastated because our talent evaluation on the defensive side of the ball has been so awful for so long. Move after move, whether it's draft or free agent, has failed.

Phobia
03-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Essentially, we're one Vikings trade from an NFL dynasty, too.

Brock
03-03-2005, 03:58 PM
yea ... and Somebody needs to tell Carl that all his success as an GM came when Marty was drafting studs up and down the board for him.

What success was that?

DaWolf
03-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Like Trezelle Jenkins, Greg Hill, Pat Barnes, Harvey Williams, and Mike Elkins? :p

whoman69
03-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Take some notes Carl.

The Cowboys are having a pretty damn good free agency.

Confirmed signings of QB Drew Bledsoe, DT Jason Ferguson, CB Anthony Henry, and NFL Network said that they are awaiting a possible THIRD press conference announcing the signing of G Marco Rivera from the Pack.

I wish our front office was this aggressive.
You could insert the Redskins in three of the last four years and they still haven't won. Overpaying doesn't win you championships. Betting the smart money like the Pats does.

Fairplay
03-03-2005, 06:09 PM
I'd like to hear Kraft, Pioli, or Belichick say with a straight face that they knew what they were getting when they took Brady in the 6th round.

A lie detector test would prove more solid results.