PDA

View Full Version : Ian Gold signs with Donks

beavis
03-03-2005, 07:44 PM
5 year deal. Saw it on ESPN.

Didn't see it posted anywhere, sorry if it has been.

Nightfyre
03-03-2005, 07:45 PM
youre a day and a half late :p

Saulbadguy
03-03-2005, 07:45 PM
The Broncos fans i've talked to are PISSED.

Bowser
03-03-2005, 07:46 PM
The Broncos fans i've talked to are PISSED.

Reason?

Coach
03-03-2005, 07:46 PM
BUUWWWAAA HA HAHAHA!

I would bet it would be between 8-10 million signing bonus.

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Reason?

Because the rumor is that he's getting close to the signing bonus that Hayward got, and it's absolutely bullshit if Shanahan and Sundquist gave a LB that much money and let a DL walk because that was too much.

beavis
03-03-2005, 07:48 PM
youre a day and a half late :p
As of yesterday, I'd heard it wasn't official. Like I said, sorry if this one got past me.

Bowser
03-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Because the rumor is that he's getting close to the signing bonus that Hayward got, and it's absolutely bullshit if Shanahan and Sundquist gave a LB that much money and let a DL walk because that was too much.

What kind of bonus did Hayward get?

beer bacon
03-03-2005, 07:50 PM
8.5 mil? Gold is good, but I don't really think the Broncos need them. Why didn't they spend this money resigning Hayward?

beer bacon
As of yesterday, I'd heard it wasn't official. Like I said, sorry if this one got past me.

Yeah, the Rocky Mountain News paper had an article saying this morning he hadn't signed yet.

keg in kc
I wanted Gold to be a Chief.

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 07:51 PM
What kind of bonus did Hayward get?

$10M guaranteed is what I saw, don't know if it was all upfront or is there's a secondary guaranteed bonus a year or two down the line.

Coach
03-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Denver Broncos: Ian Gold is considered one of the better weak-side linebackers in football, but he might have a pretty good future as an agent.

Gold signed a five-year, $22.5 million deal with Broncos after talking with the Bucs, Texans and other teams, but he did it without an agent. Gold received an $8.5 million signing bonus.

Negotiators praised Gold for how well he handled the talks. When he asked for more than the teams were willing to pay, he was cordial and gracious in getting his point across. In the end, though, Gold, who spent last season as a strong-side linebacker with the Bucs, wanted to return to Denver and help them in their transition to a 3-4.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2005, 07:52 PM
How is Ian Gold going to fit in a 3-4?

Its nice to know Denver is ignoring their d-line issues.

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 07:52 PM
8.5 mil? Gold is good, but I don't really think the Broncos need them. Why didn't they spend this money resigning Hayward?

No one will know that answer until someone besides the team site explains it.

Bowser
03-03-2005, 07:53 PM
$10M guaranteed is what I saw, don't know if it was all upfront or is there's a secondary guaranteed bonus a year or two down the line.

Whoa. Yeah, I can see where the being pissed part comes into play. I know you guys are switching to the 3-4, but your linebackers weren't the weakness, were they? And has Terry Pierce been such a bust that Shanny had to go throw huge money at one of his former players?

beavis
03-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm not heartbroken, but it just means there is one less decent LB out there. I hope I wake up in the morning to news that Hartwell has signed a contract... with the Chiefs of course.

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Denver Broncos: Ian Gold is considered one of the better weak-side linebackers in football, but he might have a pretty good future as an agent.

Gold signed a five-year, $22.5 million deal with Broncos after talking with the Bucs, Texans and other teams, but he did it without an agent. Gold received an $8.5 million signing bonus.

Negotiators praised Gold for how well he handled the talks. When he asked for more than the teams were willing to pay, he was cordial and gracious in getting his point across. In the end, though, Gold, who spent last season as a strong-side linebacker with the Bucs, wanted to return to Denver and help them in their transition to a 3-4.

That is horrendously disgusting. I'm embarrassed that my team's front office went out and gave a LB $8.5M upfront and did jack shit to go after any of the decent DL talent that was available. Someone needs to be shot for this.

**** Shanahan. **** Sundquist.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
The gaping hole we have at weakside backer doesn't make me feel good, Hartwell or no Hartwell. I'm not sure how we're planning to deal with it, since all we're bringing in are inside guys.

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Whoa. Yeah, I can see where the being pissed part comes into play. I know you guys are switching to the 3-4, but your linebackers weren't the weakness, were they? And has Terry Pierce been such a bust that Shanny had to go throw huge money at one of his former players?

DJ, Wilson, Pierce, Spragan (UFA though), Sykes, Chuwarh (sp?). LB was defintely not a need, and even if was, it is the other position that Shanahan can draft, but is never given credit for.

shaneo69
03-03-2005, 07:58 PM
The gaping hole we have at weakside backer doesn't make me feel good, Hartwell or no Hartwell. I'm not sure how we're planning to deal with it, since all we're bringing in are inside guys.

Michael Boley, 2nd round

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure how well a 225 pound backer translates to the 3-4 either. Guess we'll find out.

Bowser
03-03-2005, 07:59 PM
DJ, Wilson, Pierce, Spragan (UFA though), Sykes, Chuwarh (sp?). LB was defintely not a need, and even if was, it is the other position that Shanahan can draft, but is never given credit for.

Are they going to put Gold at strong safety with Kennedy gone?

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Michael Boley, 2nd roundI absolutely HATE the idea of drafting a rookie with the intent of starting him. Having one compete for the job is fine, but if we don't have some vet ready to go before the draft...blech. Right now at OLB we have...Fujita. And that's it until Barber is healthy.

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Are they going to put Gold at strong safety with Kennedy gone?

Some people think he can. He'd fit right in with the rest of the DBs that can't catch.

Coach
03-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Some people think he can. He'd fit right in with the rest of the DBs that can't catch.

If the Broncos are going to do it, they are asking for a deathwish IMHO.

keg in kc
03-03-2005, 08:04 PM
You wouldn't give an 8.5 million signing bonus to a guy you intend to play at safety (cheapest position on defense).

Mile High Mania
03-03-2005, 08:05 PM
I love the signing... but, damn... can't agree with that bonus. Kills me to see that and watch Hayward walk. Wow.

Bowser
03-03-2005, 08:06 PM
You wouldn't give an 8.5 million signing bonus to a guy you intend to play at safety (cheapest position on defense).

I was reading about irony the other day.......

Eleazar
03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I love the signing... but, damn... can't agree with that bonus. Kills me to see that and watch Hayward walk. Wow.

So I guess this means Pryce is staying? What's the news on that?

Haven't been following, sorry if that is old news.

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 08:19 PM
There's been nothing on Pryce for almost a week. Obviously the interest isn't there at the price Denver wants, or teams want to see what happens with the free agent market first before assessing what they're willing to give up for him.

Eleazar
03-03-2005, 08:23 PM
So the new D-line in the 3-4 is going to be Warren... and who?

Coach
03-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Is Denver asking for a first rounder for Pryce??

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 08:30 PM
So the new D-line in the 3-4 is going to be Warren... and who?

That's all there is

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Is Denver asking for a first rounder for Pryce??

I'm sure they'll take anything that has a chance to escalate to a #1, depending on how much and how well TP plays for his new team next year.

Coach
03-03-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm sure they'll take anything that has a chance to escalate to a #1, depending on how much and how well TP plays for his new team next year.

Well, not many teams are going to give up their first round pick, considering that this year's NFL Draft is a pretty solid class, especially on the defensive side.

The Broncos should at least ask for a 2nd or a 3rd at best IMHO.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2005, 08:37 PM

would of been nice

Mile High Mania
Denver should just restructure and retain Pryce.

Hercules Rockefell
Not in this year's draft, I'm talking about next year's. A conditional pick protects a team in case TP's back injury really does take away from his play, but Denver has a chance at a 1st round pick that a healthy Pryce would almost definitely bring.

Coach
03-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Not in this year's draft, I'm talking about next year's. A conditional pick protects a team in case TP's back injury really does take away from his play, but Denver has a chance at a 1st round pick that a healthy Pryce would almost definitely bring.

Oh oh, ok, my apologies. I guess I was thinking of this year's draft. Well, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

But ouch... $8.5 million signing bonus? Wasn't your cap $3.2 million or something under before this signing?

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Wasn't your cap $3.2 million or something under before this signing?

The beat writer who wrote that is the last Denver writer I'd believe. In all the articles he wrote in the run-up to signing Lynch last year, the amount Denver was under the cap would change daily despite the fact that they had made no signings.

and his number this morning didn't include Warren since that wasn't official or the Ben Hamilton's re-signing which just became official too.

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Denver should just restructure and retain Pryce.

He's refused it for the last 3 years, don't know what they can say to change his mind.

Mile High Mania
03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Herc - yeah, I know that ... I was just thinking "my ideal scenario".

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Herc - yeah, I know that ... I was just thinking "my ideal scenario".

It'd be nice at this point, they'd get $5.5M if they cut him now or traded him anytime, and about $7.5M if they wait until June 1st.

NaptownChief
03-03-2005, 09:05 PM
eight and a half million bonus for a position that is already filled by a young stud....one of the dumbest moves on paper I have seen in a long time considering the monster holes on the d line. This was a Carl Peterson like move....

Freekofnature
It'd be nice at this point, they'd get $5.5M if they cut him now or traded him anytime, and about $7.5M if they wait until June 1st.
Herc can you lay out the cap hits we'll have with Pryce if we keep him until his contract expires?

Thanks.

Mile High Mania
Any news on Okeafor? Kenoy?

Hercules Rockefell
03-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Herc can you lay out the cap hits we'll have with Pryce if we keep him until his contract expires?

Thanks.

$9.1M this year, then I think the last three years are right around $10M.

Coach
03-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Any news on Okeafor? Kenoy?

None that I see. These are the only ones I see for now.

Broncos | Okeafor to Visit - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:15:40 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports free agent DE Chike Okeafor (Seahawks) is scheduled to visit the Denver Broncos Thursday, March 3.

Browns | Interested in Kennedy - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:46:52 -0800

Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the Cleveland Browns are believed to be interested in free agent S Kenoy Kennedy (Broncos).

Chargers | Interested in Kennedy - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:45:00 -0800

Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the San Diego Chargers are believed to be interested in free agent S Kenoy Kennedy (Broncos).

Raiders | Interested in Kennedy - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:43:46 -0800

Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the Oakland Raiders are believed to be interested in free agent S Kenoy Kennedy (Broncos).

SoCalBronco
03-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Even Carl Peterson wouldnt be dumb enough to make this move. Thanks for ruining a good thing Shanny. ****ing idiots.