I think this is an old article but I didn't see it on here:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11004017.htm

Seau wanted to come here?

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK
http://www.miami.com/images/common/spacer.gif

Chiefs work to obtain Surtain
By JASON COLE
http://www.miami.com/images/common/spacer.gif

Kansas City has emerged as the leading contender to trade for Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain with a deal by Wednesday being a ''50-50'' possibility, according to two NFL sources.
Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson spent much of Friday night negotiating with agent Gary Uberstine, who represents Surtain, on a contract extension for Surtain, who is entering the final year of his contract.
Peterson declined to discuss the matter, but he is also aware of what the Dolphins want as compensation. The Chiefs have the No. 15 overall pick in the first round but are unlikely to give up that high a pick.
More likely, the Chiefs might be willing to give up their second-round pick and a future mid-round pick as a package for Surtain. Kansas City is seeking to seriously upgrade its defense, particularly after AFC West foe Oakland agreed to trade for Pro Bowl receiver Randy Moss.
The Chiefs defensive coaches, such as coordinator Gunther Cunningham, have been studying and discussing Surtain for weeks, and they have been calling people in South Florida to ask about Surtain.
Uberstine could not be reached for comment. Surtain is hoping to get a signing bonus of between $12 million and $14 million as part of a contract extension.
''There are other teams who have expressed interest, a number of teams,'' a source said. ``But it's fair to say that the Chiefs have shown the strongest interest to this point.''
The Dolphins are hoping to trade Surtain before Wednesday so they can avoid having to pay him a $300,000 roster bonus, but that might just be a matter of convenience. The roster bonus won't stop the Dolphins from making a deal after that and won't force the deal to happen faster than necessary.
More important to the Dolphins is to clear most of the $8.4 million salary cap hit Surtain is scheduled to cost them for the 2005 season. The official league year begins Wednesday and that sum would inhibit the Dolphins from doing any extensive shopping in free agency.
The Dolphins can clear between $5.8 million and $6.1 million depending on when they deal Surtain. The hope was that the Dolphins would be able to get at least a low first-round pick for Surtain, but that might be generous at this point. THIS AND THAT
• Offensive tackle Damion McIntosh's agent, Steve Feldman, said he spoke with the Dolphins again about a restructured contract for McIntosh.
There remains a possibility that McIntosh would accept a reworked deal if the incentive package could be worked out to allow him to reasonably earn most of the $3.5 million he was scheduled to make in 2005.
McIntosh was married Saturday and would like to remain in South Florida where he grew up.
• Linebacker Junior Seau is expected to accept the Dolphins' offer to restructure his contract to one year at $1.5 million and another $500,000 in incentives.
Seau's agent, Marvin Demoff, had hoped to generate interest from Kansas City, but the Chiefs have passed. think

KevB
03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey, did you guys know we landed on the moon? :p

siberian khatru
03-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Elton John is gay!

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 10:48 AM
yeah, the article is a week old, but I don't think anybody caught the Seau stuff.

Personally, I'd pass.

KCTitus
03-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Kansas City has emerged as the leading contender to trade for Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain with a deal by Wednesday being a ''50-50'' possibility, according to two NFL sources.

I got this far...I know what the odds are on Friday.

BigRedChief
03-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Elton John is gay!

Okay, okay pile on. I said I thought it was old but the search is disabled. The blame falls on the site not me. :rolleyes:

brent102fire
03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I think giving up a 2nd round pick and possibly a late rounder for Surtain is cheap. I would pull the trigger on that deal immediately! Surtain is a proven CB in the NFL and a 2nd rounder is not. I would rather have Surtain than a draft pick...Get it Done Carl! You've been jackin' the D around for the last few years, it's time to step up to the plate. :thumb: :clap:

siberian khatru
03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Okay, okay pile on. I said I thought it was old but the search is disabled. The blame falls on the site not me. :rolleyes:

Ah, just some friendly ribbing. You didn't commit a felony.

But some gentle advice: Given the frenzy of FA postings here this week, including all the Surtain speculation, it's a good bet that something that was published Sunday in a major paper was already posted and dissected.

And BTW, I seem to recall the Seau news being discussed, albeit briefly.

Anyway, no harm, no foul BRC. :thumb:

Mark M
03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. After all, KC has 11 picks this year, although most are in the later rounds.

I say trade our number 2, a later pick (say, 4th round) and a 3rd next year for Surtain and their 3rd.

Of course, all of that would be based on a passing physical.

MM
~~:arrow: