PDA

View Full Version : Darius given permission to seek trade

jspchief
03-04-2005, 12:26 PM
The Jags have given Donovan Darius permission to seek a trade. Assuming we get a LB and a CB, he'd be my ideal choice for the third aquisition we get.

Considering the price of CBs, and that there are only a few remaining, I doubt we'll be able to get two. A top notch safety can be almost as effective in bolstering the pass D, and will add run support also. Darius will give this team the attitude, grit, and toughness that it has lacked for the last few years. The guy is a punisher in the middle of the field.

The only question is what it would cost us. I just heard that the Patriots got Duane Starks from Arizona for a third. If we could get Darius for something like that, we should jump all over it.

nmt1
03-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Vermiel did say that safety was one of the spots they're looking at. Darius would be a good one to get.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 12:32 PM
i don't know that I'd want to trade for him at this point.

DeepSouth
Any idea why he wants to leave the Jags? Or, why the Jags don't want him anymore?

mikey23545
I have seen that mother ****er tattoo some people, that is for sure....

e_train69
03-04-2005, 12:33 PM
I like him. He's definitely got an attitude, and will hit. Was it him that laid out Robert Ferguson WR (GB) and got ejected and a fine.

nmt1
03-04-2005, 12:36 PM
i don't know that I'd want to trade for him at this point.

He's already signed his one year tender right? If we wanted him this year, we'd have to trade for him.

jspchief
03-04-2005, 12:36 PM
He's a SS and I'd really rather get rid of Woods, but there aren't any FS out there.

Since he's been franchised, We may have to give up too much to get him.

I'd really like to see us get a punisher like that on Defense. We haven't had a presence like that in a long time.

I believe the reason he wants out of Jacksonville is that this is the 3rd or 4th year in a row that Jax has franchised him.

nmt1
03-04-2005, 12:40 PM
He's a SS and I'd really rather get rid of Woods, but there aren't any FS out there.

Since he's been franchised, We may have to give up too much to get him.

I'd really like to see us get a punisher like that on Defense. We haven't had a presence like that in a long time.

I believe the reason he wants out of Jacksonville is that this is the 3rd or 4th year in a row that Jax has franchised him.

Wesley used to be that guy. Maybe he can get it back together. Woods used to have a rep too. Seems odd that they lost it when Robinson left.

Rausch
03-04-2005, 12:41 PM
I have seen that mother ****er tattoo some people, that is for sure....

But can he move to FS?

It's pretty clear Woods is done. His closing speed is gone and he was never all that physical to begin with, but are we ready to give up on Wesley? He had a bad year, but I can understand why.

Sure-Oz
03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Woods is good lunging his body in mid air---at NO ONE!

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
But can he move to FS?

It's pretty clear Woods is done. His closing speed is gone and he was never all that physical to begin with, but are we ready to give up on Wesley? He had a bad year, but I can understand why.

If we got a guy like Darius, I'd keep him at SS and move Wesley to FS.

Archie Bunker
03-04-2005, 12:46 PM
I used to think that Woods and Wesley were a top 5 safety combo now I cant stand Woods and Wesley isnt much better. WTF happened? It boggles my mind. :banghead:

nmt1
03-04-2005, 12:46 PM
I used to think that Woods and Wesley were a top 5 safety combo now I cant stand Woods and Wesley isnt much better. WTF happened? It boggles my mind. :banghead:

Maybe we should've kept Greg Robinson...

Archie Bunker
03-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Maybe we should've kept Greg Robinson...

No thanks. I just remember when Wesley was the next Atwater and my favorite player on defense. Now I am not sure he should even start. It bothers me.

jspchief
03-04-2005, 12:50 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking. Woods and Wesley are nearly identical in height and weight. The only question would be if Wesley has the speed to play FS. I've always thought he was more of a speed guy than power anyway, and there's no question he'll be at least as fast as Woods.

Darius is 20 pounds heavier than Woods or Wesley.

Rausch
03-04-2005, 12:53 PM

There's no doubt in my mind Wesley doesn't have the wheeles to play FS. If we manage to keep Harts here it might work. I could see trying to cut/trade Woods and go with someone else.

Hell, I'd prefer moving Bartee/McCleon to FS instead of moving Wesley.

PastorMikH
03-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Woods is good lunging his body in mid air---at NO ONE!

FWIW, He put a really good hit on Barber last fall and knocked him to IR. It's too bad he closed his eyes and missed the WR.:banghead:

Sure-Oz
03-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Maybe he is colorblind???

chop
03-04-2005, 01:09 PM
I think the prime candidate for safety should either be Bartee or Battle. I don't think the experiment with moving Battle to cb has worked out too good. Maybe the best thing KC can do is to move him back to his natural position at safety. I have a feeling he would do pretty good at safety.

Frankie
03-04-2005, 01:36 PM
The Jags have given Donovan Darius permission to seek a trade. Assuming we get a LB and a CB, he'd be my ideal choice for the third aquisition we get.

Considering the price of CBs, and that there are only a few remaining, I doubt we'll be able to get two. A top notch safety can be almost as effective in bolstering the pass D, and will add run support also. Darius will give this team the attitude, grit, and toughness that it has lacked for the last few years. The guy is a punisher in the middle of the field.

The only question is what it would cost us. I just heard that the Patriots got Duane Starks from Arizona for a third. If we could get Darius for something like that, we should jump all over it.

I like Darius. But in my observation safety seems to be the easiest position to draft successfully. Heck, Deron Cherry wasn't even drafted.

Frankie
03-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I think the prime candidate for safety should either be Bartee or Battle. I don't think the experiment with moving Battle to cb has worked out too good. Maybe the best thing KC can do is to move him back to his natural position at safety. I have a feeling he would do pretty good at safety.

I completely agree. :thumb:

jspchief
03-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I like Darius. But in my observation safety seems to be the easiest position to draft successfully. Heck, Deron Cherry wasn't even drafted.Normally, I might agree. But considering we have 17 drafted safeties on our roster, and still suck at the safety position, it might not be as easy as you think.

Honestly, I've been pimping a safety in round 2 for weeks now. I just think Darius is enough of a stud that he's worth pursuing. We're already looking at Dwight Smith, so it's not like it's going out on a limb.

Frankie
03-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Normally, I might agree. But considering we have 17 drafted safeties on our roster, and still suck at the safety position, it might not be as easy as you think.

Honestly, I've been pimping a safety in round 2 for weeks now. I just think Darius is enough of a stud that he's worth pursuing. We're already looking at Dwight Smith, so it's not like it's going out on a limb.
Actually I was playing devil's advocate in my post. I do like Darius and would love to have him. Only not for real HIGH price (both, in $ and draft choices).

Do the Jags need an OG/T? ;)