PDA

View Full Version : Is Rock / Alternative Radio Dead???

Beatlemanu
03-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Okay, I'm getting a little pissed off. Call me old fashioned, but I like rock music. Nothing against hip hop or rap or whatever, I like some of that too, but I just prefer rock and alternative rock music. Now rock radio stations are being closed down and/or switched to easy listening or spanish language formats. Now nothing against those, but get your own frequency. Now yes, I know this old news, and it's been happening for a long time now, but basically the biggest alternative rock station in the bay area is struggling now, Live 105.3 out of S.F. I'm just wondering, what the hell do people listen to these days??? Does everyone listen to hip hop and rap or easy listening??? How many freaking Celine Dion songs do they have anyway??? And when the hell did "Rock" music become "the alternative" anyway. I remember they first called it "Modern Rock" in the early 90's, now it's not even Rock. What the hell happened to instruments??? And real vocals that aren't sung by some 14 boy band, teenage girl and or sampled in to the chorus... Cover this, cover that, how about writing some damn songs, singing them yourself and actually playing the instruments too...
Okay, I'm done now, just had to say that, even though I'm sure you've heard the same before...
Here's the station I was talking about thats going under...
http://www.live105.com/
You can go there and sign up to try and keep them alive if you like...
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 03:39 PM
It has been a long time since I listened to normal radio...I would go with XM or Sirius. There are so many good groups out there if you dont let radio tell you who they think is good.

CosmicPal
03-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Try getting satellite radio....

14.00/mo and you'll have all the alternative rock stations you want....

I love it.

Baby Lee
03-04-2005, 03:43 PM
105.7 The Point still the kickassinest modern rock station out there, Howard in the Mornings to boot.

morphius
03-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I always found alternitive music kind of odd, its almost impossible to make it last, I mean, once you become popular many people will stop being fans because you will be considered a sell out or they just don't feel unique and special any more if too many other people like your music.

Same kind of goes for Punk.

Beatlemanu
03-04-2005, 03:46 PM
I always found alternitive music kind of odd, its almost impossible to make it last, I mean, once you become popular many people will stop being fans because you will be considered a sell out or they just don't feel unique and special any more if too many other people like your music.

Same kind of goes for Punk.

That definately goes for punk... Your probably right about "alternative music" too... whatever that is anyway...

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I listen to CD's if I want music.

Beatlemanu
03-04-2005, 03:49 PM
It has been a long time since I listened to normal radio...I would go with XM or Sirius. There are so many good groups out there if you dont let radio tell you who they think is good.

Which is better, Sirius or XM??? Sirius has Howard Stern in a year or so, and they carry all Premier League soccer games too. I've heard they're also picking up a few other leagues like MLB and Nascar too.

I think Howard Stern not being on normal radio, will hit a lot of stations hard, he brought a lot of advertising dollars in...

Beatlemanu
03-04-2005, 03:52 PM
MLB is on XM, NFL on Sirius.

Hmm, I heard that at the end of the current MLB contract with XM, they are moving to Sirius, if this is true, then Sirius pretty much has it all...

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Which is better, Sirius or XM??? Sirius has Howard Stern in a year or so, and they carry all Premier League soccer games too. I've heard they're also picking up a few other leagues like MLB and Nascar too.

I think Howard Stern not being on normal radio, will hit a lot of stations hard, he brought a lot of advertising dollars in...
I have XM and love it. Sirus has the NFL and Howard but im not a Howard fan and I watch NFL games. XM has the MLB and I will love that.

I love XM but you will dig whichever you were to choose.

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Ah, guess I'm behind.

Won't this season be the first MLB season on XM?
Yes

Baby Lee
03-04-2005, 03:58 PM
I have XM and love it. Sirus has the NFL and Howard but im not a Howard fan and I watch NFL games. XM has the MLB and I will love that.

Correction WILL have Howard in

10 months 1 day 9 hours 2 minutes and 26 seconds

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Correction WILL have Howard in

10 months 1 day 9 hours 2 minutes and 26 seconds
Ah I didnt know that...thought he was already on board.

Ya idk...I just never got into him.

Beatlemanu
03-04-2005, 03:59 PM

Hmm

vailpass
03-04-2005, 04:00 PM
"The Beat Farmers rule, btw"

"He said that's my woman,
I said that's no lie.
Then I blew a hole in him
Just as big as the sky"

Country Dick Montana is one of the best live performers I have ever seen
RIP

CosmicPal
03-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Beatledude....I've got Sirius and it rocks. I've got friends who have XM and they love it as well.

They are both very good sources for music, sports, entertainment, and news. Just go to a stereo store and compare the two- compare the displays, the formats, etc., and pick what you like- you won't be disappointed in either.

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Hmm
I listen to Rockish type stuff on XM it is in the 40's and 50's series for the most part they have some cool stations...

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/neighborhood.jsp?hood=rock

Besides that I listen to...

XM 150 - All stand up comedy one comedian after another.

XM 9 - The 90's on 9. Its a flashback thing. They have decade type stations from the 1940's to the 1990's

XM- 26 or 27 - Cinemagic, they do all scores from movies its pretty cool.

XM 163 - Sonic Theatre. They tell all kinds of stories. I listened to a couple chapters of Huck Finn on my way to Springfield a week ago.

Those are just a few of the many things like listening to with XM.

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Beatledude....I've got Sirius and it rocks. I've got friends who have XM and they love it as well.

They are both very good sources for music, sports, entertainment, and news. Just go to a stereo store and compare the two- compare the displays, the formats, etc., and pick what you like- you won't be disappointed in either.
What that guy said.

htismaqe
03-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Queens of the Stone Age has a new album coming out March 22nd

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Really? Great news.

I will go...

With the flow.

Beatlemanu
03-04-2005, 04:08 PM

Good band, I might just pick that up.

Beatlemanu
03-04-2005, 04:10 PM
I listen to Rockish type stuff on XM it is in the 40's and 50's series for the most part they have some cool stations...

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/neighborhood.jsp?hood=rock

Besides that I listen to...

XM 150 - All stand up comedy one comedian after another.

XM 9 - The 90's on 9. Its a flashback thing. They have decade type stations from the 1940's to the 1990's

XM- 26 or 27 - Cinemagic, they do all scores from movies its pretty cool.

XM 163 - Sonic Theatre. They tell all kinds of stories. I listened to a couple chapters of Huck Finn on my way to Springfield a week ago.

Those are just a few of the many things like listening to with XM.

Tempting, very tempting... knowing me I'll probably end up with both XM and Sirius... DAMN IT!!!

KC Kings
03-04-2005, 04:14 PM

Do they do their own broadcast, or simulcast RSN for Royals games? I would be all for being able to listen to the game without losing reception, but am not sure I would enjoy listening to the Royals without the dry humor of Denny Matthews.

Nzoner
03-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Lately, though, I've just been listening to CDs in my pickup. Right now I'm playing a compilation CD NZoner sent me. The Beat Farmers rule, btw.

"He said that's my woman,
I said that's no lie.
Then I blew a hole in him
Just as big as the sky"

Country Dick Montana is one of the best live performers I have ever seen
RIP

"Ya picked a fine time to leave me Lucille
With four ugly children
And a crotch that won't heal"

A great read on the one and only Country Dick Montana....RIP (http://www.howardowens.com/dick/)

HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA
http://sdam.com/artists/bf/photo.small.gif

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Do they do their own broadcast, or simulcast RSN for Royals games? I would be all for being able to listen to the game without losing reception, but am not sure I would enjoy listening to the Royals without the dry humor of Denny Matthews.
To be honest with you im not sure. I imagine they don't do their own show but thats just a guess.

memyselfI
03-04-2005, 07:19 PM
It's up to the people who grew up loving Classic Rock and GOOD rock to pass it on to the younger generations...

they certainly won't be exposed to it by watching what the culture wants them to watch. craptv, er, MTV.

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 07:19 PM
It's up to the people who grew up loving Classic Rock and GOOD rock to pass it on to the younger generations...

they certainly won't be exposed to it by watching what the culture wants them to watch. craptv, er, MTV.
We can find good music just fine without your or any other generations help.

Thanks anyway.

Nzoner
03-04-2005, 07:38 PM
We can find good music just fine without your or any other generations help.

Thanks anyway.

Well thanks for helping me by suggesting The Strokes,if I can ever return the favor :D

|Zach|
03-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Well thanks for helping me by suggesting The Strokes,if I can ever return the favor :D
Keep your favor and promise me you'll spend some time with "Rooney" they are like The Strokes meet The Beach Boys.

Baby Lee
03-04-2005, 08:12 PM
If a ZZ-Top guy likes The Strokes, I renew my push for Pulp, The Killers, and Franz Ferdinand.

Nzoner
03-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Bah. I need help. If it weren't for NZoner, I might've continued leading a Beat Farmers-free life for... ack, who knows how long?

Now that I know you approve,I'm sending you the whole live disc,however,Country Dick sings lead on none of the others but I think you'll still approve.There are two songs at the end from their last studio project before Dick died that he sings on though.

Did you see the link on the first page?

Nzoner
03-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Keep your favor and promise me you'll spend some time with "Rooney" they are like The Strokes meet The Beach Boys.

Bah,I was hoping you'd say ok send me a Beat Farmers cd.

Nzoner
03-04-2005, 08:48 PM
If a ZZ-Top guy likes The Strokes, I renew my push for Pulp, The Killers, and Franz Ferdinand.

I thanked him for suggesting them I never said i liked them.

Seriously though,even though I'm mainly a classic/boogie rock/blues lover I try and keep an open mind.Hell,I've got The Ramones,B-52's Buddy Holly and Yaz among other stuff.