PDA

View Full Version : Jets talking with Ty Law

CHIEFSFAN_NY
03-04-2005, 09:47 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...ports-headlines (http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets05,0,6046769.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines)

Jets talking with Ty Law
BY BOB GLAUBER
STAFF WRITER
March 4, 2005, 10:19 PM EST

The Jets said goodbye to another key free agent Friday, welcomed two acquisitions, signed a third player to an offer sheet and began negotiations with what could be the biggest catch of all.
Care to have three-time Super Bowl-winning cornerback Ty Law on your team?
The Jets are talking with the former Patriots cornerback, two sources have told Newsday. Law, 31, was released last week in a salary-cap move and is on the open market.
Law, who spoke with team officials Thursday, suffered a fractured foot Oct. 31 against the Steelers and missed the rest of the season, including Super Bowl XXXIX. He is not completely healthy, which could factor into how much the Jets are willing to offer in a contract. At full strength, Law is one of the league's premier cover corners.
If Law were to sign, it could impact veteran Donnie Abraham, who joined the team as an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay in 2002. Abraham fell out of favor with the Jets' coaching staff near the end of last season.
Law, the Patriots' first-round pick in 1995, tied Raymond Clayborn's franchise record with 36 career interceptions. He is a four-time Pro Bowl selection, including three straight from 2001-2003.
The Jets also are continuing their efforts to complete a trade for Redskins receiver Laveranues Coles, the former Jet who was signed by Washington in 2003 as a restricted free agent. The only remaining hangup is working out a contract for Coles, who is being asked to forfeit $5 million of the $13-million signing bonus he received from the Redskins. The Jets would trade fourth-year receiver Santana Moss if and when Coles agrees to a contract offer.
Meanwhile, the Jets signed tight end Jeb Putzier, a restricted free agent from the Broncos, to a five-year, $12-million offer sheet. The Broncos have seven days to match the offer. If they let him go, the Jets will forfeit a sixth-round pick in next month's draft. Putzier had 36 catches for 572 yards and two touchdowns last season.
The Jets declined to compete with the Giants' megabucks offer for offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie, who signed a seven-year, $37.8-million deal Friday. The Jets have no immediate plans to sign a replacement for McKenzie -- former Titans right tackle Fred Miller is available -- and might select a tackle in a draft that is considered very deep at the position.
The Jets have filled two other needs by signing backup running back Derrick Blaylock, an unrestricted free agent from the Chiefs, and Giants defensive tackle Lance Legree, who will figure into the defensive line rotation.
"I'm very excited to be with the Jets," said Blaylock, a backup in Kansas City to Priest Holmes. "I got a good feeling from the organization. I think I can contribute."
Blaylock hopes to carry the ball as many as 15 times a game, although workhorse running back Curtis Martin, who won the NFL rushing title last year, still figures to handle the bulk of the running game.
On Thursday, the Jets lost defensive tackle Jason Ferguson to the Cowboys and backup running back LaMont Jordan to the Raiders.

TEX
03-04-2005, 09:58 PM
A lot of good he'll do anyone in a wheel chair, unless it's one of those turbo models... :hmmm:

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2005, 01:39 AM
No Damnit Carl.

Nightfyre
03-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Let law go.... thats a bit too risque for even me.