PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a smoker...

unlurking
03-05-2005, 03:11 PM
With my love for KC BBQ, I thought this would be the best place to ask this. I'm looking at getting a smoker, and want an opinion.

I grill about 3 to 4 times a week (gas, yeah I don't have time for charcoal) and have tried brisket a few times on it with a smoker box. Turns out OK, but obviously not as good as a real smoker.

Walmart is now carrying a pretty cheap little smoker for $100 and I'm curious to know if anybody has any experience with a one, or recommendations for others. Some of the background for my smoking needs...

- Cheap. I will likely onlu use about once a month, so I am really looking for something cheap. $100 or so is about what I'm looking for.

- Small. This will go on my deck next to my grill (which is pretty big and takes up a lot of space. I'm not likely to ever feed more than 15 people, and it will likely never be used solo (always grillin' something).

- Easy. I have a very busy schedule, and charcoal grills just add to much prep / clean up time for grilling (assuming the same for smoking).

- Consistent. One thing I love about my grill is I know exactly where the heat variations on my gas grill are and can repeat my "experiments" very well. I'm looking for the same in a smoker.

Any thoughts, ideas?

unlurking
03-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Oh, here's a pic of what I was looking at...

unlurking
03-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Or maybe a "slighlty larger" one?

cadmonkey
03-05-2005, 03:22 PM
You're looking for a smoker huh?

http://www.hot.ee/estcuba/gallery/smoker.jpg

DT4everaChief
03-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I have had many smokers and use the one I have currently quite often. I would not recommend getting a gas smoker, my opinion it does not give as good of a taste as charcoal ones do. It is a personal preference only. Clean up with a gas smoker is much more easier than a charcoal one. The smoker your looking at is a decent one for as little as you will use it.

htismaqe
03-05-2005, 03:39 PM
cheap smoker = mediocre results IMO

If you're looking to go that cheap, just stick with the smoker box.

I had a $250 Brinkmann from Menards that I finally got so pissed at that I traded it for a Horizon professional wood-burner...

cdcox
03-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Based on your description, I'd definitely go for the
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20723&item=4362820779&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It might be on the high side of your cost range, but I think it is the only smoker that will meet your other criteria and produce consistently satisfying Q. I've never owned one, but do a little research on the net and you will see what I mean.

chiefs4me
03-05-2005, 04:06 PM
oh....I thought you meant something else...ROFL

4th and Long
03-05-2005, 04:28 PM
You're looking for a smoker huh?

http://www.hot.ee/estcuba/gallery/smoker.jpg
AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Phobia
03-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I would like to preface my post by saying that I'm a complete idiot.

From what you've shared with us about yourself, you should stick with your grill. If you think smoking adds some prep time, you're sadly mistaken. Smoking is an all day affair. It easily quadruples any time you've spent cooking on your grill and then some.

I would like to remind you at this point that I'm a complete amateur idiot.

I got a starter smoker last week (for my birthday). The old lady didn't want to spend much because I'm an instant gratification person.... So, I ended up with the $60 Walmart vertical box Brinkmann.

I wanted the $100 vertical box Brinkmann from Ace and that's what I would recommend for you - with some mods....

When buying the thing, buy a 7-8" grid that can go in the bottom of your firebox. Also, buy yourself a starter chimney if you don't already have one. Drill about 30 3/8" holes in the bottom of you fire box.

Now you're ready to start smoking. Find yourself a few smoking faq's on the 'net and play around.

Don't try a briskett yet. Wait. Play with some things. Everything that has come out of my smoker has been brilliant.

At this moment I'm eating some cheese stuffed jalepeno's that I should charge a shitload of money for.... My pork chops are incredible. You'd blow me for one of these chops, I promise.

4th and Long
03-05-2005, 06:44 PM
My pork chops are incredible. You'd blow me for one of thise chops, I promise.
St Louis doent make that much beer.

Phobia
03-05-2005, 06:45 PM
St Louis doent make that much beer.

Fortunately, I only have enough chops for my wife. :D

4th and Long
03-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Fortunately, I only have enough chops for my wife. :D
ROFL ROFL ROFL

TheNextStep
03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I disagree that cheap smokers necessarily = cheap results. I've had brisket off a little bullet smoker that was incredible.

I second the notion that a gas smoker probably isn't the way to go. For one thing, it is sacreligious. For another, the whole idea with a smoker is to allow the smoke to add to the flavor of the meat.

I also second the recommendation that you consider smoking an all day affair. The idea behind smoking is, obviously SLOW COOKING over indirect heat. If you're putting a sizeable piece of meat on the smoker and you're taking it off in anything less than 5 hours, you're doing something wrong.

They are a little bit more expensive than a hundred bucks, but you can usually find a fairly sturdy smoker with an off-set firebox that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Oh, and don't use regular charcoal briquets. Go with lump charcoal and play around with either wood chips or wood chunks for the smoke.

Phobia
03-05-2005, 07:23 PM
They are a little bit more expensive than a hundred bucks, but you can usually find a fairly sturdy smoker with an off-set firebox that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Oh, and don't use regular charcoal briquets. Go with lump charcoal and play around with either wood chips or wood chunks for the smoke.

You can get an offset Brinkmann at Wallyworld for $150. Same identical model at Ace is $180. You can also buy an offset no name for $99 at Home Depot. Wait for a holiday and buy it for 10% off.

I second the lump charcoal recommendation. However, if you use lump, you MUST also use wood to achieve flavored smoke. Briquettes have some flavor added. Lump charcoal will already have had the flavored smoke burnt out.

Everything else I agree with. You must be a fellow idiot.

The point is that it takes some skills and babysitting to keep a cheap smoker at 225 degrees. The more money you spend, the easier it is to control your temperature. If you wanna babysit a fire all day, buy a cheap POS. If you want to "set it and forget it", spend a bunch of mon-ay. A propane smoker is cheating and your food won't taste good. You might as well "smoke" your food in the oven.

htismaqe
03-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Yep, that's basically what it boils down to...an inexpensive smoker requires ALOT of watching.

Charcoal briquettes contain preservatives and other chemicals, as well as ash -- I recommend only lump charcoal since it has virtually no oder/flavor.

That being said, I START my fire with lump charcoal. I then add wood and only wood, no more charcoal.

Phobia
03-05-2005, 09:32 PM
I just pulled off some beef/venisonburger.... I am your master. I don't think the Lord Himself could prepare his creatures over a flame any better than I did this evening. When I'm through eating this meat, I'm going to crush my smoker and convert to vegetarianism because it can't possibly get any better than what I pulled off tonight.

chiefs4me
03-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I just pulled off some beef/venisonburger.... I am your master. I don't think the Lord Himself could prepare his creatures over a flame any better than I did this evening. When I'm through eating this meat, I'm going to crush my smoker and convert to vegetarianism because it can't possibly get any better than what I pulled off tonight.

Are you drunk? What are you all gonna do with all this meat you have been cooking all day long?:hmmm:

StcChief
03-05-2005, 10:00 PM
I have a gas Brinkmann ~$125. Great for family ribs, chicken ....Can't smoke alot like the Big box....

I Use a water/beer/season mixture

No problems food is tastes real good. Slow cook for hours.

Phobia
03-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Are you drunk? What are you all gonna do with all this meat you have been cooking all day long?:hmmm:

Am I drunk? Not yet. Have I been drinking? Heh heh.

I'm going to eat all this meat. My neighbor brought over a bunch of meat, too. I'll be smoking until the wee hours now.

chiefs4me
03-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Am I drunk? Not yet. Have I been drinking? Heh heh.

I'm going to eat all this meat. My neighbor brought over a bunch of meat, too. I'll be smoking until the wee hours now.

Makes sense..cook different meats and have them all week long.....

unlurking
03-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Cool!!!

Thanks for all the tips. Couple follow up questions...

1) If you recommend lump charcoal (which from what I can tell means no flavor added), why recommend no gas? Gas doesn't add flavor either.

2) I understand smoking takes a lot of prep (which is why I will only use once or twice a month), but even cutting down clean up time with gas seems worthwile. In reference to 1) is there something I'm not getting that is another reason to stay away from gas?

TheNextStep
03-06-2005, 01:05 AM
Sacreligious.

What more do you need to know? Point blank: If you use a gas smoker you will burn in hell. Period. End of sentence.

Phobia
03-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Cool!!!

Thanks for all the tips. Couple follow up questions...

1) If you recommend lump charcoal (which from what I can tell means no flavor added), why recommend no gas? Gas doesn't add flavor either.

2) I understand smoking takes a lot of prep (which is why I will only use once or twice a month), but even cutting down clean up time with gas seems worthwile. In reference to 1) is there something I'm not getting that is another reason to stay away from gas?

I oversimplified lump charcoal. I'm sure it adds flavor to the meat, but not the flavor that the original wood held. That flavor has already been burnt out of the charcoal. For instance, if the lump charcoal were originally hickory it wouldn't add a hickory taste to your food.

The reason you use lump charcoal is because it doesn't contain all the additives and chemicals you find in briquettes. It leaves a consistent flavor in the meat and is the choice of smoking purists nationwide.

unlurking
03-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Sacreligious.

What more do you need to know? Point blank: If you use a gas smoker you will burn in hell. Period. End of sentence.
Why?

You use wood to create the smoke. What is the difference between heating that wood with charcoal or gas? They both have wood smoke.

Just trying to find out what the downfall is of gas over charcoal. It seems like with gas, you get the same thing, but you eliminate the concern for the fire, just make sure the wood is stacked and the water mixture full.

unlurking
03-06-2005, 01:18 AM
I oversimplified lump charcoal. I'm sure it adds flavor to the meat, but not the flavor that the original wood held. That flavor has already been burnt out of the charcoal. For instance, if the lump charcoal were originally hickory it wouldn't add a hickory taste to your food.

The reason you use lump charcoal is because it doesn't contain all the additives and chemicals you find in briquettes. It leaves a consistent flavor in the meat and is the choice of smoking purists nationwide.
Considering that the gas fire burns a bin full of whatever flavor wood you want, do lumps really add any extra flavor?

I like really strong woods like hickory and am wondering how much extra flavor will come from charcoal lumps.

Phobia
03-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Considering that the gas fire burns a bin full of whatever flavor wood you want, do lumps really add any extra flavor?

I like really strong woods like hickory and am wondering how much extra flavor will come from charcoal lumps.

I have no idea, man. I'm sure it's much, much, much easier to smoke with propane. Temp control via a dial sounds mighty tempting to a guy who spent the day fighting temps. Heh. I'm guessing the only way to be certain is to do an experiment to determine which produces the better meat.

unlurking
03-06-2005, 02:15 AM
I have no idea, man. I'm sure it's much, much, much easier to smoke with propane. Temp control via a dial sounds mighty tempting to a guy who spent the day fighting temps. Heh. I'm guessing the only way to be certain is to do an experiment to determine which produces the better meat.
hmmm,

A smoke-off?

ROFL

Tell ya what, I'll by the cheapo $100 gas smoker and practice for 6 months. If the Chiefs sign 3 defensive FAs (or 2 good ones), I'll come to KC for a game and we can smoke some serious shiite!
:D

Maybe a Saturday before a home game we could have a smoke party somewhere? I'd be willing to buy a new smoker in KC (will fly, not drive) and give it away to whoever wants it (sorry, it will be gas). I haven't been to Arrowhead in a few years, and would love to get together with some people from the board next season.

If I'm sober enough to tell the difference, as soon as I get home I'll through the gas unit out and go buy a nice charcoal unit!

htismaqe
03-06-2005, 06:23 AM
Makes sense..cook different meats and have them all week long.....

I usually BBQ 20-30 pounds at a time. Ribs, butts, chickens, everything...

htismaqe
03-06-2005, 06:26 AM

Little to no flavor comes from the charcoal lumps.

I guess it boils down to this:

Gas is for grilling. It's quick and easy.

Wood is for smoking.

I guarantee you there's a difference between using gas to generate your cooking temp and using wood chips for flavor and the way I do it - 6" long, 1-2" diameter logs for both temp and flavor.

R&GHomer
03-06-2005, 07:11 AM
I don't know, I used regular kingsford charcoal for years and then tried lump and it does burn longer and hotter, but it's also difficult to keep going. I've actually settled on a kingsford / Wood chunck combination. I start with regular Charcoal to get the smoker up to temp and then add Wood Chunks, when they start to burn down I add pre heated charcoal and then wood chunks... Repeat... Repeat... Repeat for hours until the meat is done.

I purchased a cheaper smoker with an off set fire box, and it doesn't do a very good job at maintaining a constant temperature. Before last summer I would have never even considered a gas smoker, but if there is a way to get the wood chips or chunks smoking consistently throughout the cooking process, I’d be willing to give it a try.

htismaqe
03-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I don't know, I used regular kingsford charcoal for years and then tried lump and it does burn longer and hotter, but it's also difficult to keep going. I've actually settled on a kingsford / Wood chunck combination. I start with regular Charcoal to get the smoker up to temp and then add Wood Chunks, when they start to burn down I add pre heated charcoal and then wood chunks... Repeat... Repeat... Repeat for hours until the meat is done.

I purchased a cheaper smoker with an off set fire box, and it doesn't do a very good job at maintaining a constant temperature. Before last summer I would have never even considered a gas smoker, but if there is a way to get the wood chips or chunks smoking consistently throughout the cooking process, I’d be willing to give it a try.

That's what I ran into as well. The cheaper bullet and upright smokers are ok, because you're meat is directly over the fire.

With an offset (like my cheap Brinkmann) you're relying on convection/air flow. A cheap smoker has poorly assembled seams, gaps, and other things that effect airflow. My Brinkmann not only wouldn't stay warm (it averaged about 180 instead of 220) but it burned through wood by the forest because of the amount of air that leaked through it.

My Horizon is made for 1/4" steel with hand-welded seams. I can put a couple of small logs in and walk away for an hour or so and not have to worry about it.

Honestly, the difference in quality was IMMEDIATELY noticeable, even to my wife.

As for lump not staying lit, I recommend what Phobia recommended earlier - a starter chimney. I burn all of my lump until it's glowing and THEN I put it in the smoker.

mlyonsd
03-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Find a good electric smoker. They regulate the heat the best. Many a time when hanging out at the river I'd put a 20lb turkey on in the morning, head out on the boat and not worry about it till we got back for supper.

I've had mine going on 20 years and it still works great.

R&GHomer
03-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Find a good electric smoker. They regulate the heat the best. Many a time when hanging out at the river I'd put a 20lb turkey on in the morning, head out on the boat and not worry about it till we got back for supper.

I've had mine going on 20 years and it still works great.

How do you get a good smoky flavor using an electric smoker? Do you fill an inner bin with wood pellets or something?

dtebbe
03-06-2005, 10:16 AM
My first suggestion was going to be the Waffle House. Always seems to be a bunch of smokers there....

DT

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Ah, Awful House. I can't remember the last time I was at one of those. Used to be our regular drunk spot in college, many a spinning night after a party I spent there.

mlyonsd
03-06-2005, 11:42 AM
How do you get a good smoky flavor using an electric smoker? Do you fill an inner bin with wood pellets or something?
Yup, mine has a little round tin to hold the wood. The electric element is shaped so it wraps around the outside of the tin. I use wood chunks, not chips or pellets. 2-3 inche pieces. My favorite is pecan wood.

The principle is exactly the same, just the heat source is different. You still use whatever to create the smokey flavor, a pan of water to generate steam, etc. I like electric cause usually once you set it you can forget it. The thermostat takes care of the rest.

You can smoke how you like, but I'm one of those that doesn't like the smoke to overcome the flavor of whatever you're smoking. So my principle is if you can see constant smoke flowing from the smoker you're cooking it to hard. A whisp now and then is what I try to achieve. To do this I make sure to soak the wood chunks overnight and make sure they aren't set too close to the burner. If a chunk catches on fire during smoking the food usually tastes like ashes. At least that's my experience.

unlurking
03-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone!

Lot of good interesting information here for a noob smoker.

I think I've come to this conclusion. I'll probably by a cheap gas model to start with. Since I probably won't have time to use it very often, it sounds like going with a nice expensive log burning unit would be very pricey. If I end up using it more regularly (like every weekend), I may then consider ponying up the dough for a good unit.

Kind of like buying your kid their first guitar. I'm not going to go out and spend the money on a Les Paul right away!

Again, thanks for the tips everyone. The only smoking I've ever done up to this point is using a smoker box im my grill, and it plain sux. The temp stay constant, but the smoke seeps out the many holes and seams.

One last question, anyone recommend any good sites or books with recipes? I like Reichlen's stuff for grilling. He's got some great unique recipes AND very basic cooking tips and some basic "gimme a steack quick" type recipes that don't require trips to the store for rarely used spices.

Thanks!

Phobia
03-06-2005, 01:20 PM
One last question, anyone recommend any good sites or books with recipes? I like Reichlen's stuff for grilling. He's got some great unique recipes AND very basic cooking tips and some basic "gimme a steack quick" type recipes that don't require trips to the store for rarely used spices.

Nope. Sorry. I fly by the seat of my pants. I throw whatever catches my fancy at the moment on and take it off when it's done. I'm not much help, huh? Just google BBQ or smoker on the net. Might wanna try propane smoker.