PDA

View Full Version : Is John Chaney a modern day Woody Hayes?

RNR
03-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Will he ever be forgiven and thought of as a great coach, or will he always be remembered for this screwup?

OmahaChief
03-06-2005, 11:23 AM
I think this will live on for many years to come. The sad thing is he is a good coach and did something that most coaches from at some time. hard fouls are nothing new. I am just glad it wasn't a white coach that did this or he would have already been fired.

RNR
03-06-2005, 11:28 AM
I think this will live on for many years to come. The sad thing is he is a good coach and did something that most coaches from at some time. hard fouls are nothing new. I am jsut glad it wasn't a white coach that did this or he would have already been fired.
I disagree Bobby Knight is pretty white, and he pulled his share of crap.

Baby Lee
03-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Didn't he have controversial outburst a few years ago? I seem to recall some eyebrow raising remarks from him.

The terms 'Calipari' and 'douchebag' come to mind.

KCFalcon59
03-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Didn't he have controversial outburst a few years ago? I seem to recall some eyebrow raising remarks from him.

The terms 'Calipari' and 'douchebag' come to mind.

Yeah. He threatened to kick his ass. Funny as hell. Every time I see Chaney I mock him from that press conference.

RNR
03-06-2005, 11:33 AM
He charged into a press conference and threaten to kill another coach.

NaptownChief
03-06-2005, 11:41 AM
He charged into a press conference and threaten to kill another coach.

Completely unprovoked I might add..

I have always liked Chaney but he really, really crossed the line and should have been fired especially when you consider his previous incident with Calipari. Both incidents had nothing to due with another person even drawing him into a rage, they were both self induced out of frustration of getting his ass kicked.

Skip Towne
03-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Indiana should hire him. They tolerate that kind of crap.

NaptownChief
03-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Indiana should hire him. They tolerate that kind of crap.

Nah he is a better fit for Kansas since they tolerate long tenured coaches that can't win a National Championship. :D

Skip Towne
03-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Nah he is a better fit for Kansas since they tolerate long tenured coaches that can't win a National Championship. :D
We get to the final four alot though.

OmahaChief
03-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I disagree Bobby Knight is pretty white, and he pulled his share of crap.

Knights outburst were never to potentially harm another player. His worst was the choke on another white kid. Chaney sent in a white kid to hard foul the other kid who was tearing them up and happened to be black. Had it been a white coach sending in a white goon to rough up a black kid it would all be over for that coach.

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Oh, God. That's retarded.

Anyways, Chaney's a nutjob. Always has been, always will be.

On the bright side, he looks just like an owl, and nobody Temple would hire to replace him could ever come close.

KCWolfman
03-06-2005, 02:18 PM

On the bright side, he looks just like an owl, and nobody Temple would hire to replace him could ever come close.
I've always thought the same - Why get rid of the coach and mascot in the same package?

Saulbadguy
03-06-2005, 04:17 PM

He'd still kick Calipari's ass. Hell he'd "****in kill" him.

whoman69
03-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Anybody notice in that famous incident against UMass, he threatens to do the same thing that he just got suspended for. He has just as much of an anger problem as Bobby Knight. The only reason that he hasn't been fired yet is because he is black and like Knight, expects his players to graduate. I have no problem with a coach saying the other team is pushing them around the court so they need to get more physical. I do have a problem with sending someone in there to be a "goon." I don't believe this is an isolated incident for Cheney. There have been reports that he has done the same thing in the past, but noone before has been hurt.