PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Pierce contract numbers, and Smoot info...

Coogs
03-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I don't know if this has been posted before or not. Sorry if it is a dupe.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20050304-121358-4055r.htm

Although coach Joe Gibbs said the Redskins couldn't meet Pierce's contract demands, a club source said Washington matched almost all of the Giants' six-year, $26 million deal, including a $6.5 million signing bonus, but offered less during the first two years.
"Antonio played great for us last year," Gibbs said. "We would have loved to get that done, but we went as far we could go. It became a situation where we would have thrown our salary structure out [of whack]. It would have affected us in terms of adding other players."
Pierce said he is delighted to be a Giant.
"I couldn't be in a better place to make a bigger name for myself," said Pierce, who made the Redskins as an undrafted rookie in 2001
Not only do the Redskins apparently have no plans to pursue such available inside linebackers as Pittsburgh's Kendrell Bell and Baltimore's Ed Hartwell, they don't plan to increase their standing $10 million bonus offer to Fred Smoot, leaving it up to the cornerback to find a better deal from Kansas City or another suitor and then decide if he'll return to Washington.

the Talking Can
03-06-2005, 12:49 PM
offer Smoot $13 mill and go get Hartwell you losers...

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Smoot sucks.

the Talking Can
03-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Smoot sucks.
less than you

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 12:53 PM
less than youEverybody sucks less than me. That's like saying some random chick's hotter than Roseanne.

the Talking Can
03-06-2005, 12:54 PM
I am Smoot's defender.

Sign him. You'll like it.

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 12:55 PM
No. I won't like it. Ever. He could make pro bowls and I still wouldn't like it. I just can't stand the guy. I hated him in the draft, I hated him on the redskins, I'd hate him as a chief.

Bowser
03-06-2005, 12:57 PM
No. I won't like it. Ever. He could make pro bowls and I still wouldn't like it. I just can't stand the guy. I hated him in the draft, I hated him on the redskins, I'd hate him as a chief.

Have him bring a Plummer INT back to the house in the playoffs to cinch the win, and you may change your mind.

I can dream........

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Have him bring a Plummer INT back to the house in the playoffs to cinch the win, and you may change your mind.I never change my mind. Well, usually. Sometimes I do. No I don't. What was I saying, again?

KevB
03-06-2005, 12:58 PM

Jay Glazer surprisingly said last week that the Redskins locker room was Smoot's. He was a team leader, had matured, etc. I was shocked to hear it, as I had the same outlook as keg. He's not my first choice, but if he offers the best value, he's still better than what we have now.

the Talking Can
03-06-2005, 12:59 PM

bizarre, I am your opposite...I wanted him in the draft, I love his attitude, and I'd love to have him as Chief...right after we sign Hartwell

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I heard that interview, too.

I have a..thing for trash talking players. I can't stand them. Always been that way.

Dave Lane
03-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I heard that interview, too.

I have a..thing for trash talking players. I can't stand them. Always been that way.

Then you must be proud of our D. No trash talkers there.

Dave

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Then you must be proud of our D. No trash talkers there.Trash talking has nothing to do with attitude. You don't have to be a bigmouth to take somebody's head off. Quiet does not equal passive.

And I've had a problem with the attitude of the defense for years. I attributed it to robinson, who was more of a chessplayer than a streetfighter in his approach. I didn't see most of last season, so I can't really say what the attitude was like.

Mr. Christopher
03-06-2005, 01:33 PM
As much as I'd like to have a "shut down corner," there is no such thing. The rules of the game don't allow for the corner to be as much of an impact player anymore.

The Chiefs would be better served pouring money into their linebacking corps and the defensive end position. Get pressure on the quarterback, and don't leave the corners out to dry.

I'm not saying that I'm happy with the current dbacks on the team, but I don't think that corner should be the first priority this offseason.

Coogs
03-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Believe it or not, the Pierce numbers are what I found to be interesting here. $6.5 million signing bonus over 6 years. That is 1.1 million per year towards the cap + his yearly salary. If is is backloaded, that is pretty reasonable.

I would guess Hartwell is asking for more than that, but it should be able to happen I would think.

MGRS13
03-06-2005, 02:14 PM
As much as I'd like to have a "shut down corner," there is no such thing. The rules of the game don't allow for the corner to be as much of an impact player anymore.
You have a good point and I would agree with you but you still need average corners on your team i.e. Warfield. Bartee is not average if he was cut from the chiefs he would be lucky just to make some one elses practice squad. Battle also although he at least deserves one more year to see what he can do. He just looks so lost on the field most of the time. As far as McCleon he's just old and slow. So Yea shutdown corner might be a thing of the past but we at least need some average talent.

Mr. Christopher
03-06-2005, 02:21 PM
You have a good point and I would agree with you but you still need average corners on your team i.e. Warfield. Bartee is not average if he was cut from the chiefs he would be lucky just to make some one elses practice squad. Battle also although he at least deserves one more year to see what he can do. He just looks so lost on the field most of the time. As far as McCleon he's just old and slow. So Yea shutdown corner might be a thing of the past but we at least need some average talent.
You are absolutely correct, and I cannot argue your points. I am okay with Warfield, but I am in absolute agreement about Bartee, Battle, and McCleon.

Bartee has to go. Period.

Battle deserves another year, but should only see the field as a nickel or dime back.

McCleon, see above.

The Chiefs need to pick up an average or above average veteran corner in free agency. I don't think it's worth putting super-high dollars into him, but I think that it should be some sleeper corner with a decent upside to him.

Also, I think that the Chiefs need to find a corner on the first day of drafting. I would say first round, but if the LB and DE concerns are not addressed, those need to be priorities in the first and second rounds.

paulgkc
03-06-2005, 03:54 PM
I'll take just about anybody over our current corners.

TRR
03-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I would love to pull Hartwell, Bell and Rolle out of FA. If we could do that, we would be free to fill the DE (Hicks) void with the 15th pick.

Woods back at safety again concerns me, however, I'm more concerned with LB, CB, and DE than I am replacing a recent Pro Bowl selection.

whoman69
03-06-2005, 11:23 PM
If Rolle falls through and Smoot is not the guy, then who? At that point are we desperate enough for Ty Law?

matts22
03-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Surtain!

booger
03-06-2005, 11:28 PM
If Rolle falls through and Smoot is not the guy, then who? At that point are we desperate enough for Ty Law?
We have time to wait on Law. The problem is when he gets healthy, I wouldn't be suprised to see other teams all of the sudden show some interest. Smoot has an offer with a 10m bonus from washington on the table. We could try to sneak in and up that but I think that only happens if Rolle falls through. Hopefully the Rolle deal gets done. And realistically if we don't get Hartwell wrapped up soon he will continue the FA tour and some team will out bid us. I really hope we get him signed tommorrow.