PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on OLB

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Lets assume that Rolle, Smith and either Hartwell or Bell is coming to KC and that FUjita will be back what are the Chiefs going to do at the other OLB spot.

I would assume that if they sign 3 starters and rack up 20+mill in signing bonuses that the Chiefs would be tapped out so that means that they will have to use a draft pick, low level FA, or someone in house. I have broken down the 3 options and I am interested in what you guys think.

IN HOUSE POSSIBILITIES
Fox
Mitchell
Stills(a stretch I know)

DRAFT POSSIBILITIES
DJ
Burnett
Blackstock
Boley
(seems like after DJ this position drops off fast)

FA(Guessing that Sharper and Simmons would cost to much)
Polley
Holdman
Beisel
Caver
Bell(if hartwell is also signed)

Im sure I missed a few options so feel free to add some of your own.

Big Chief Homer
03-06-2005, 02:09 PM
i would say bell,if hes cheap.the failed physical in new york may have scared off a few team allowing CP to low ball him.

LB in 2005
Fujiita,hartwell,bell

I hope

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
I think it has to be a free agent, but it'll have to be an inexpensive one. Bell's a 255 pound inside backer, I don't know that I can think of a worse option to start on the weak side opposite Fujita. I really liked Gold, but Denver re-signed him and we'd never have matched that deal. Polley might be worth a shot. He didn't exactly shine in St. Loser, but he's got the right sort of size and speed. After that, it's a draft pick, I guess.

jspchief
03-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I think we spend our 1st roudner on an OLB. Since DJ will be gone, I'm thinking we'll go with Darryl Blackstock.

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
I think we spend our 1st roudner on an OLB. Since DJ will be gone, I'm thinking we'll go with Darryl Blackstock.

The little that I have read on him sounds really good. :thumb:

Tribal Warfare
03-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Shawne Merriman or DE Erameus James

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-06-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm on the Merriman bandwagon....but then again I was also on the Ryan Sims bandwagon 3 years ago

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm on the Merriman bandwagon....but then again I was also on the Ryan Sims bandwagon 3 years ago

Dont feel bad I thought the Chiefs had found a young Sapp.

HolmeZz
03-06-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't want to touch James. First of all, I think there are better DEs that could be had later(Roth). Secondly, James is a walking injury waiting to happen. I don't see him as an impact player.

Nightfyre
03-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Im all about bell. hes a quick, explosive, solid-tackling playmaker. I think he fits the OLB profile.

HolmeZz
03-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Bell laying the wood to Trent:

http://www.cjonline.com/photos/galleries/101501_chiefs/images/07.jpg

Beautiful.

chiefscafan
03-06-2005, 05:02 PM
ok i know this has probably been discussed allready but i've been off this thing for a while.

Can Bell play outside? does anyone Know

I like hartwell and if he picked up the leadership skills of Ray Lewis he might become a stud.

all i know is it would be great to see our d take the field and know we can stop the other team. I haven't felt that way since DT (rest his soul) was playing for us.

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 05:03 PM
ok i know this has probably been discussed allready but i've been off this thing for a while.

I like hartwell and if he picked up the leadership skills of Ray Lewis he might become a stud.

all i know is it would be great to see our d take the field and know we can stop the other team. I haven't felt that way since DT (rest his soul) was playing for us.

I have read that he is athletic enough to play outside.

chiefscafan
03-06-2005, 05:08 PM
archie or do you think it's one or the other either hartwell or bell or do you think it's both. If we could somehow get both and rolle and then add a strong de with the first i would be happy to give up the 2nd round pick to miami for Surtain.

imagine this line up

De Allen
dt Sims
dt Dalton
DE 1st rd draft pick

LB Bell

MLB Hartwell

LB Fujita

CB Surtain

CB Rolle

FS Woods

SS Wesley

nickle cb Warfield

not bad huh

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
There is no way on earth we have enough cash to sign both Rolle and Surtain in addition to Bell and/or Hartwell.

chiefscafan
03-06-2005, 05:16 PM
so is it an either or with bell and hartwell?

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 05:17 PM
so is it an either or with bell and hartwell?I was referring to it being an either/or with Rolle and Surtain. We won't be getting both.

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 05:18 PM
so is it an either or with bell and hartwell?

Ive read articles that suggest both theorys. Personally I believe if Hartwell and Rolle sign Smith would be the 3rd. That would be my guess.

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Ive read articles that suggest both theorys. Personally I believe if Hartwell and Rolle sign Smith would be the 3rd. That would be my guess.I think that's most likely as well, although I'm afraid it'll be Bell instead of Hartwell.

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I think that's most likely as well, although I'm afraid it'll be Bell instead of Hartwell.

As long as it is not a Rob Morris type I will be satisfied.

I would rather have Hartwell but I wouldnt piss on Bell.

TRR
03-06-2005, 05:22 PM
I think they are looking at Bell to play OLB in our 4-3 scheme. He played all over in Pitt's 3-4 scheme, even putting his hand down on the ground as a rush end at times.

Bell would be a solid OLB in Gun's scheme. He likes his OLB's to be able to get to the QB...That's what Bell does best.

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 05:22 PM
The only reason I'm hesitant about Bell is the injury issue. If he can stay healthy, we could do a lot worse in the middle.

And if they're looking at playing Bell outside, then who the hell is going to play weakside? 'cause it won't be Bell at 6'1, 260. Fujita, at 6'5, 250?

I don't see it. Doesn't mean it's not what they're planning, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Logical
03-06-2005, 05:24 PM
archie or do you think it's one or the other either hartwell or bell or do you think it's both. If we could somehow get both and rolle and then add a strong de with the first i would be happy to give up the 2nd round pick to miami for Surtain.

imagine this line up

De Allen
dt Sims
dt Dalton
DE 1st rd draft pick

LB Bell

MLB Hartwell

LB Fujita

CB Surtain

CB Rolle

FS Woods

SS Wesley

nickle cb Warfield

not bad huhNot bad but not affordable in the least. I also think we need to move Woods to a backup roll.

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I think they are looking at Bell to play OLB in our 4-3 scheme. He played all over in Pitt's 3-4 scheme, even putting his hand down on the ground as a rush end at times.

Bell would be a solid OLB in Gun's scheme. He likes his OLB's to be able to get to the QB...That's what Bell does best.

Sounds good then. I didnt know he could rush as an end. Sounds like Gunthers type of blitzing LB. Wonder if he can cover?

jspchief
03-06-2005, 05:27 PM

I doubt it. He's listed at 257 pounds, I don't see him as an effective OLB. I've heard mention that some scouts think Hartwell might be able to play outside, but's he's come out and said he only wants to play MLB.

I honestly don't think it matters. The team has already said that they'll need to clear up some space just to get Rolle and Hartwell. There's no way we get Surtain or Bell in addition.

We're only going to get two guys, max. CB is top priority, then MLB. I'm guessing that if we can't land/afford Hartwell or Bell, then we'll consider some safety options such as Smith.

Anyone that thinks we're going to get more than two FAs, or that we'll double up at one position while neglecting the other isn't using their head.

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 05:27 PM
The only reason I'm hesitant about Bell is the injury issue. If he can stay healthy, we could do a lot worse in the middle.

And if they're looking at playing Bell outside, then who the hell is going to play weakside? 'cause it won't be Bell at 6'1, 260. Fujita, at 6'5, 250?

I don't see it. Doesn't mean it's not what they're planning, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I think Fujita is athletic enough to play weakside. I would rather gamble on him than Fox or Mitchell.

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 05:29 PM
We're only going to get two guys, max. CB is top priority, then MLB. I'm guessing that if we can't land/afford Hartwell or Bell, then we'll consider some safety options such as Smith.

Anyone that thinks we're going to get more than two FAs, or that we'll double up at one position while neglecting the other isn't using their head.I'd agree with that, except I really think we're looking at replacing Woods at FS. I don't think they're bringing in guys like Smith and Knight for no reason. I'm expecting a CB/LB/S trio of signings. Safety isn't a particularly expensive position compared with the other two.

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd agree with that, except I really think we're looking at replacing Woods at FS. I don't think they're bringing in guys like Smith and Knight for no reason. I'm expecting a CB/LB/S trio of signings. Safety isn't a particularly expensive position compared with the other two.

That what I think to. I would rather have Smith than Knight that for sure. I am really worried about LB corp even if Hartwell or Bell come.

Logical
03-06-2005, 05:33 PM
I think Fujita is athletic enough to play weakside. I would rather gamble on him than Fox or Mitchell.Perhaps I should remind everyone counting on Fujita that he is I believe a free agent and may not be here.

go bo
03-06-2005, 05:33 PM
As long as it is not a Rob Morris type I will be satisfied.

I would rather have Hartwell but I wouldnt piss on Bell.i bet he's real glad to hear that...

jspchief
03-06-2005, 05:34 PM
I'd agree with that, except I really think we're looking at replacing Woods at FS. I don't think they're bringing in guys like Smith and Knight for no reason. I'm expecting a CB/LB/S trio of signings. Safety isn't a particularly expensive position compared with the other two.

I tihnk the reason they are looking at those guys is because they don't think they'll land one of the MLBs. It's been reported that Rolle is the top priority, and that after he's inked they'll know whether or not they can get Hartwell. If Hartwell's too expensive at that point, I think they look to Bell. If Bell is too expensive, or doesn't pass their physical requirements, then we go to FS.

It's possible that we can get a safety in addition to CB and MLB, but all the talk of how tight it will be just getting Rolle and Hartwell signed makes me think it's very unlikely.

Digital Takawira
Shawne Merriman or DE Erameus James

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO

keg in kc
Linebacker could be bad, could be okay. The real issue I see is who starts on the weakside while Barber is down (assuming he's ever able to come back). Depth is an issue, but I could see us re-signing Beisel and Caver for that, and Mitchell would be an experienced backup in the middle.

I really think adding Hartwell could make an enourmous difference in and of itself, too.

booger
03-06-2005, 05:35 PM

IMO, that's where the Smith negotiations could get tricky. Early on this offseason I thought I read were he wanted to hit the market as a CB because the money is better. They might want to get him a better contract than the average S especially if he would be playing some CB here too. Either starting there when Warfield is out or playing the slot in the nickel.

philfree
03-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Perhaps I should remind everyone counting on Fujita that he is I believe a free agent and may not be here.

He's been tendered and I haven't seen anything that says he's being looked at by other teams.

PhilFree :arrow:

Archie Bunker
03-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Perhaps I should remind everyone counting on Fujita that he is I believe a free agent and may not be here.

If the Chiefs dont plan on bringing back they better have a great plan on getting 3 new LB in here but you are right he is RFA.

booger
03-06-2005, 05:36 PM
restricted. We can match any offer or get a fifth rd. pick.

milkman
03-06-2005, 05:37 PM
I have an idea!

Why don't we convert Bartee and Battle into LBs! :p :evil:

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm not particularly concerned about losing Fujita as a RFA. Although I guess anything could happen.

Logical
03-06-2005, 05:41 PM
restricted. We can match any offer or get a fifth rd. pick.

I am trying to point out that if we are successful lets say with Rolle, Hartwell and one other we truly may not have the money to match Fujita's offer (provided he gets one). That is al

jspchief
03-06-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm not particularly concerned about losing Fujita as a RFA. Although I guess anything could happen.

You should be. Who the hell is going to play OLB for us? We can hope for a Barber recovery, which could easily get us like the Maz "recovery" did. After that we have Beisel, Jones, Caver, and Fox. That's a pretty scary list. Fujita may never be a pro-bowl LB, but he's the best we currently have at the position by a long stretch, and he'll make a very solid role player when we get talent around him.

booger
03-06-2005, 05:46 PM
I am trying to point out that if we are successful lets say with Rolle, Hartwell and one other we truly may not have the money to match Fujita's offer (provided he gets one). That is al
true, good point. It might not be cash wise either but a high first year cap #. :thumb:

If it is something we could match, I would take him back over a fifth rounder though.

milkman
03-06-2005, 06:10 PM
After Hartwell and Bell, it looks like the pickings are slim at LB in the FA market.

As for anyone on the roster already, our only real hope is that Key Fox can step up and become a player.

I'd start looking for help in the draft right about now.

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 06:42 PM
You should be. Who the hell is going to play OLB for us? We can hope for a Barber recovery, which could easily get us like the Maz "recovery" did. After that we have Beisel, Jones, Caver, and Fox. That's a pretty scary list. Fujita may never be a pro-bowl LB, but he's the best we currently have at the position by a long stretch, and he'll make a very solid role player when we get talent around him.You misunderstand. I'm said I'm not concerned because I don't anticipate losing him, not because I don't care if we do.

Mr. Laz
03-06-2005, 06:43 PM

true... but he's a restricted free agent so that makes retaining him more likely.

IF we choose

TRR
03-06-2005, 06:43 PM
The Barber injury really puts a hole in our D at OLB. It almost forces us to sign another LB in FA unless they want Monty Beisel or Key Fox to start until Barber is 100%.

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 06:44 PM
That it does.

go bo
03-06-2005, 06:50 PM
The Barber injury really puts a hole in our D at OLB. It almost forces us to sign another LB in FA unless they want Monty Beisel or Key Fox to start until Barber is 100%.[truly desperate voice]maybe we'll get a starting olb in the later rounds of the draft...[/voice]

keg in kc
03-06-2005, 06:51 PM
[truly desperate voice]maybe we'll get a starting olb in the later rounds of the draft...[/voice]You're still not suave. Nice try, though.