PDA

View Full Version : Fat Actress

memyselfI
03-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Does anyone think that a comedy about a woman going from this:
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/102225.jpg

to this:
http://www.tvtome.com/images/shows/28/7/7-15924.jpg

will actually be funny. I can't imagine it will be. This reviewer says it's gross. I guess I'll wait to see the episode before I judge but I think the entire premise is just really sad.

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/tv/mmx-0503070129mar07,0,74124.story?coll=mmx-television_heds

Shock and guffaw `Fat Actress' not groundbreaking, just gross
By Sid Smith
Tribune arts critic

Talk about fearless to a fault: "Fat Actress" (9 p.m. Monday, Showtime) opens with Kirstie Alley writhing on her bathroom floor, bewailing and bemoaning her latest weight gain, unflatteringly clad in a nightgown and housecoat.

In the same attire, she later motors to a drive-in to wolf down a gargantuan sirloin burger, bits of meat spilling into her cleavage. She notices they forgot her order of french fries. "Can't you people," she shouts, "ever learn English?"

Nice. Later, during a visit to NBC honcho Jeff Zucker (playing himself), she sashays down the office aisle, blissfully unaware of the gapes of workers rubbernecking from their cubicles, gaping aghast at her sizable behind. The camera dutifully dotes on her swishing, oversize hips, just to be sure we don't miss the point.

The idea, of course, is to be anything but subtle. The unapologetic goal of "Fat Actress," a combination of scripted sitcom and true-life travails, is shock and guffaw. There's something of the cheeky chaos of "Arrested Development" taken to new lows, good taste eschewed in favor of a crude, irredeemable honesty. "Fat Actress" often plays as one of John Waters' freewheeling, scatological experiments from the '70s, with Alley as latter-day Divine.

To wit: In Episode 2, Alley lunches with a director, after she takes a mega-laxative to help trim pounds. She gets the call during lunch, and two scenes follow set in the ladies room, including one in which Alley borrows a diaper when all of the stalls prove occupied. Something like a third of the episode is about excrement. Trouble is, the '70s are long gone, and the intentional crassness of "Fat Actress" isn't groundbreaking, just gross.

There are funny moments in "Fat Actress," and Alley's physical clowning is pushed to astonishing limits. Some of the banter, including that involving Hollywood cameos (Zucker, John Travolta, Melissa Gilbert, Kid Rock), is amusing. And your heart goes out to Alley for attempting to turn the tables on all those skeptical producers. When she laments the double standard, insisting James Gandolfini and John Goodman aren't hounded about their weight, she wins the debate.

But obesity is also an epidemic and health hazard today, children increasingly included. That and the shameless, lowbrow, ceaselessly over-the-top approach combine to undercut the laughs here and make you wish this particular Veronica would head back into her closet.

keg in kc
03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Maybe they're hoping to pull the audience from the Anna Nicole show. Both of them.

No thanks.

Phobia
03-07-2005, 01:14 PM
John Goodman died several weeks ago.

Soupnazi
03-07-2005, 01:17 PM
She's hideous, not funny in the least, and above all, just irritating.

It looks like her cheeks could consume her eyes at any moment.

Rausch
03-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I'd like to see her get her $3it together and come back, I liked her on Cheers.

But the "I'm a swamper and proud of it" vibe she's giving off just doesn't do much for me...

cadmonkey
03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
John Goodman died several weeks ago.

His weight brought that plane right down..........

el borracho
03-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Yet another show that makes a public spectacle out of someone's humiliation. What a horrible idea.

BigMeatballDave
03-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Who cares? I know I won't watch...

Beatlemanu
03-07-2005, 01:40 PM
No. :shake:

RedNFeisty
03-07-2005, 01:41 PM
People watched the grotesque Anna Nicole Smith show. Some dummies actually think it is funny. :shake:

Lzen
03-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I been getting the Showtime free preview weekend and they've been running advertisements for it left and right. I don't get why anyone would wanna watch something so stupid and gross. :rolleyes:

Did John Goodman really die? I hadn't heard about that.

Mark M
03-07-2005, 01:50 PM
At least they got the title of the show right ...

it tells you not only what it's about, but who stars in it.

MM
~~:spock:

Lzen
03-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Who the Hell is Dane?

memyselfI
03-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I watched this show last night and though it had moments of ROFL it was as expected, kinda sad.

If you have a half hour to spare and would like to check it out here is your chance. If you don't you ain't missin much...

http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/fatactress.html

chiefs4me
03-09-2005, 09:10 AM
I caught bits and pieces of it, I never really was a fan of hers, but she has guts to put herself in front of a tv crowd being this big. I wonder why she just doesn't try and lose the weight. She must have pull, because every show will have big name stars in it along with her.

Barret
03-09-2005, 09:23 AM
but she has guts

HEHEHEHE, thus the title of the show

ChiTown
03-09-2005, 09:26 AM
I'd hit it.....................