PDA

View Full Version : Rolle on NFL Network now. Says he was born with spine condition

Bootlegged
03-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Says Baltimore contacted him Friday night, stopped everything with Chiefs. Says after this, the Chiefs story came out.....basically called bullshit on CP and crew for the story.

siberian khatru
03-07-2005, 04:27 PM
So he said that when he started talking to Baltimore, the Chiefs leaked the spine story, to cover their azzes if he signed with Balt?

Bootlegged
03-07-2005, 04:28 PM
So he said that when he started talking to Baltimore, the Chiefs leaked the spine story, to cover their azzes if he signed with Balt?

Exactly. He said they said NOTHING about it while he was in KC. Rolle's agent called Ozzie N. at 6pm Friday night to see if Balt. was interested. They started negotiating then.

Ultra Peanut
03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Awesome.

DenverChief
03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

KCFalcon59
03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Un****ingbelievable.

the Talking Can
03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
perfect...CP tries to cover his ass after low balling our priority FA

and now, as we try to sign someone we have a player on tv telling the world what an a-hole CP is...that will help us, won't it?

JUST ****ING PERFECT

HolmeZz
03-07-2005, 04:31 PM
We deserve it. Not as fans, but as an organization.

SweChief
03-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Sweeeet :wayne:

siberian khatru
03-07-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm with Bad Guy on this -- the Chiefs act like they've actually done something to justify behaving like this.

the Talking Can
03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Basically, Rolle is standing before press cameras saying that CP defamed him to try and wreck his deal with Baltimore.

Bootlegged
this is just completely unacceptable, as a fan, a person, ethically, etc. Carl Peterson should be fired on the spot.

|Zach|
Hmm, he still has the condition and it would still be a concern...

I assumed he had it since birth, thats not the kind of thing that pops up out of nowhere.

NaptownChief
03-07-2005, 04:36 PM
The Chiefs are probably the worst run franchise in football. They are an embarrassment and certainly don't deserve the incredibly loyal fan base it has.....or had.

Eleazar
Completely unacceptable.

Soupnazi
F*ck you carl. Pack up your shit and get the f*ck outta this town. I've had enough of your bullshit. I'm sick to death of your half-assed performance as GM. You lying, limp-dick, incompetent, empty-suit piece of monkey feces. GET OUT!!!!!

I pray you walk out in front of my car, I do. I just hope you do, asshole.

TEX
03-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Exactly what I thought all along. Carl did not fool me for a second this time around. That guy is pure unaccountable scum... ROFL

Now, stay tuned for round 2 once we officially lose out on Hartwell. In just one short week, the CHIEFS managed to F*CK themselves out of free agency. TYPICAL! :shake:

jspchief
I'm curious to see how the FO tries to spin this. What the hell are these guys going to say to counter?

I wonder how hard it is for these guys to look each other in the eyes during this shit. Every time another one of these guys gets away, they have to just be ready to throw up. I'd pay a pretty penny to be a fly on the wall at their meetings.

HemiEd
This kind of news really sucks donkey dicks! :cuss:

Phobia
Basically, Rolle is standing before press cameras saying that CP defamed him to try and wreck his deal with Baltimore.

I wasn't that pissed until I read this. Carl should be drawn and quartered.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Carl must have already got his contract renewed

shaneo69
03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
What's really sad is that most of us here could probably pick defensive starters in the first two rounds of this year's draft, but I can almost guarantee that we'll somehow end up with projects who aren't ready to start in 2005.

NaptownChief
03-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Hmm, he still has the condition and it would still be a concern...

I assumed he had it since birth, thats not the kind of thing that pops up out of nowhere.

If he has played 20+ years of football with it and it has been a non-issue and the fact that a much more knowledgible front office like the Ravens were willing to sign him then it clearly is a non-issue.

beer bacon
This is really pathetic. Carl has no balls. I hope he goes to the zoo and falls into a pit full of male gorillas that haven't been layed in years.

FloridaChief
It's unfortunate that the ploy blew up in the Chiefs' face. Not unexpected, mind you--but unfortunate, nevertheless...

Ghostof
03-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Maybe this little jewel will be the last in the Peterson crown of f***-ups and now he can ride off into the sunset on the jackass known as Lamar.

Imon Yourside
He keeps this sh!t up and 20 years from now it won't be who shot jfk, It will be who shot carl and there will be so many possibilities no one can be ruled out.

Redcoats58
I have never been embarassed by this organization until now.

the Talking Can
I wasn't that pissed until I read this. Carl should be drawn and quartered.

according to the chiefscoalition summary of the press conference, Rolle said that the Titans had always known about the condition, that the Chiefs never raised it as an issue, and that once he contacted Baltimore the Chiefs leaked it to the press....it makes us look like scumbags

ChiTown
03-07-2005, 04:42 PM
this is just completely unacceptable, as a fan, a person, ethically, etc. Carl Peterson should be fired on the spot.

Carl's a good business man and a shitty football guy

beer bacon
03-07-2005, 04:43 PM
according to the chiefscoalition summary of the press conference, Rolle said that the Titans had always known about the condition, that the Chiefs never raised it as an issue, and that once he contacted Baltimore the Chiefs leaked it to the press....it makes us look like scumbags

Carl is a scumbag.

NaptownChief
it makes us look like scumbags

I don't think it makes anything, just exposes the franchise for what it really is.

Eleazar

I've been embarassed by on-the-field performances... but that is nothing like a scumbag move like this.

petegz28
03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
It's all bull shit! Carl isn't gonna sign anyone except MAYBE the broke down Law.

Dr. Johnny Fever
Un****ingbelievable.
you took the words right out of my keyboard........

Imon Yourside
it makes us look like scumbags

LOOK like scumbags, with cp in charge we ARE the scum of the league.

NaptownChief
Carl's a good business man and a shitty football guy

Every team in the league makes money hand over fist....He needs to prove himself a "good business man" in something other than the NFL for me to give him credit for that.

Soupnazi
03-07-2005, 04:45 PM
God damn you, Carl. After many years of hearing similar stories about free agents that won't sign, or players you've run off because you're a dickhole, it's official.

YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!!!!

But it's allright guys, hey, we've got Eric Crouch!

YOU DOUCHE

tk13
Carl is a scumbag.
I don't think that's breaking news.... he might have hit a new low though. If he doesn't make some big moves here this might be the last memory Chiefs fans have of him.....

dirk digler

I couldn't have said it better myself.

NaptownChief
It's all bull shit! Carl isn't gonna sign anyone except MAYBE the broke down Law.

Exactly, he will only sign a FA if they are broken down and can be had on the cheap.

Donger
It's unfortunate that the ploy blew up in the Chiefs' face. Not unexpected, mind you--but unfortunate, nevertheless...

I fully admit that I'm not that familiar with the Chiefs during FA, but it would appear from just the standpoint of logic that raising the issue of Rolle's health as the reason for not signing him simply guaranteed 1) that he wouldn't sign with the Chiefs and 2) that Rolle would make the ploy public and perhaps taint any other FAs that are considering coming to KC with doubt.

I fail to see how either benefits the Chiefs.

HemiEd
03-07-2005, 04:46 PM
I've been embarassed by on-the-field performances... but that is nothing like a scumbag move like this.

My feelings exactly, this ranks rite up there with the Monday Night Meltdown! Rep, Damnit! :banghead:

jspchief

What a suprise :rolleyes:...Carl the used car salesman trips on his own dick again.

I look forward to the negotiations with Law's agent Poston. Carl has never had success dealing with Poston. I'm sure now that our backs are against the wall, those dealing will be silky smooth.

NaptownChief
this might be the last memory Chiefs fans have of him.....

Or former Chief fans at that...

beer bacon
03-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I fully admit that I'm not that familiar with the Chiefs during FA, but it would appear from just the standpoint of logic that raising the issue of Rolle's health as the reason for not signing him simply guaranteed 1) that he wouldn't sign with the Chiefs and 2) that Rolle would make the ploy public and perhaps taint any other FAs that are considering coming to KC with doubt.

Carl is not only a scumbag, he is a moronic scumbag.

Soupnazi
03-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Every team in the league makes money hand over fist....He needs to prove himself a "good business man" in something other than the NFL for me to give him credit for that.

Exactly, it's not like he's responsible for the NFL system. He's a primary beneficiary of the NFL and the huge base of fan support that he's done nothing to pay back.

FloridaChief
03-07-2005, 04:50 PM

Exactly what I mean. It seems to me that this ploy had absolutely no chance of succeeding in the intended goal--signing Rolle--and every chance of revealing the organization to being less than above board in it's negotiation practices. I wonder if this episode will have a negative impact on future FA signings in KC...

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm not upset at all about not signing Rolle. This about the only time you will see me defend CP.

Injuries with Rolle are a huge concern. Sorry guys, they need someone without the history of injuries that Rolle has. Let's face it, with Rolle's injuries that he had had throughout his career, he is a gamble.

Smoot and Bell are not bad options. Both young and talented with something to prove. Add in a Tommy Polley and they might have something. Draft a CB in Rnd 1, LB or WR in Rnd 2, which ever is best value. I'd be happy as hell with a offseason like that.

The Bad Guy
03-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I can just picture all the free agents running to sign with KC now.

**** you Carl Peterson, you disgrace.

dirk digler
03-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm not upset at all about not signing Rolle. This about the only time you will see me defend CP.

Injuries with Rolle are a huge concern. Sorry guys, they need someone without the history of injuries that Rolle has. Let's face it, with Rolle's injuries that he had had throughout his career, he is a gamble.

Smoot and Bell are not bad options. Both young and talented with something to prove. Add in a Tommy Polley and they might have something. Draft a CB in Rnd 1, LB or WR in Rnd 2, which ever is best value. I'd be happy as hell with a offseason like that.

I am not upset so much at not signing Rolle but the way they went about it and CP leaking lies to the media makes me want to puke. He is a classless piece of shit.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-07-2005, 04:55 PM
It would appear we (the FO) are sumbags.

This should likely seal the deal with all other FA's. Who wants to work for a boss like that.

Phobia
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM

No shit. You could put a monkey in the BMOC office at Arrowhead and still make a shitload of money.

HipHopper4Life
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Pat Surtain is smiling his ass off right now. By the time we get around to him he's going to be asking for Champ Bailey money to pull our ass out of the fire.

dirk digler
03-07-2005, 04:57 PM

Yep I almost bet we don't sign anybody in FA now or any player that matters.

shaneo69
03-07-2005, 04:59 PM

So Rolle was a risk, but Bell wouldn't be a bad option? And Tommy Polley is a player the Chiefs should go after?

Yeah, okay.

shaneo69
03-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Pat Surtain is smiling his ass off right now. By the time we get around to him he's going to be asking for Champ Bailey money to pull our ass out of the fire.

Not to mention the Dolphins, who can up their asking price each time another FA CB signs elsewhere.

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I am not upset so much at not signing Rolle but the way they went about it and CP leaking lies to the media makes me want to puke. He is a classless piece of shit.

It's the business. Rolle's neck problem isn't a lie. Rolle has admitted he was born with the condition. Where exactly did the FO lie about it? Do you really think the FO's and players alike are honest in their intentions? They both play the game to it's fullest extent.

Simply put, Rolle knows he is more than likely on his last lucrative contract in the NFL. He was going to go to the highest bidder anyway.

CrazyHorse
03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
There is no way the Chiefs could have paid 12 million in the 1st year

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
It's the business. Rolle's neck problem isn't a lie. Rolle has admitted he was born with the condition. Where exactly did the FO lie about it? Do you really think the FO's and players alike are honest in their intentions? They both play the game to it's fullest extent.

Simply put, Rolle knows he is more than likely on his last lucrative contract in the NFL. He was going to go to the highest bidder anyway.
It's the way Carl messed up getting him signed when he was here, then leaked info that wasn't apparently a big enough deal not to sign him anyway, to save his own ass from the ringer that we are pissed about.

If it's true, it's a new low for Carl.

petegz28
03-07-2005, 05:07 PM

That is what worries me. Players talk to each other. And I can see Rolle saying .."**** the Chiefs!"

Wile_E_Coyote
03-07-2005, 05:09 PM
With Rolle's condition could he have switched to safety if his play slipped

Baby Lee
That is what worries me. Players talk to each other. And I can see Rolle saying .."**** the Chiefs!"
Geez, I hope Hartwell doesn't know anyone with the Ravens. :rolleyes:

Abba-Dabba
So Rolle was a risk, but Bell wouldn't be a bad option? And Tommy Polley is a player the Chiefs should go after?

Yeah, okay.

Yes, Bell isn't a bad option. He is young, hungry and has something to prove. Rolle has had injury problems since day 1 in the league. Bell still is young enough to where those injury concerns are alittle less.

Polley not a player the Chiefs should go after? I'm sorry, I'm must missed when the Monty Beisel, Quitton Caver experiement worked out.

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 05:10 PM
With Rolle's condition could he have switched to safety if his play slipped

Would you like to have seen Marvin Minnis play TE?

TEX
03-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Yes, Bell isn't a bad option. He is young, hungry and has something to prove. Rolle has had injury problems since day 1 in the league. Bell still is young enough to where those injury concerns are alittle less.

Polley not a player the Chiefs should go after? I'm sorry, I'm must missed when the Monty Beisel, Quitton Caver experiement worked out.

Let the TIER TWO player signings bsgin... :shake:

Wile_E_Coyote
03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Would you like to have seen Marvin Minnis play TE?

snap like a twig?

TEX
It's the way Carl messed up getting him signed when he was here, then leaked info that wasn't apparently a big enough deal not to sign him anyway, to save his own ass from the ringer that we are pissed about.

Yep.

Abba-Dabba

I'm glad he lowballed him. Can't blame him for doing it one bit. I would have done the same.

jspchief
03-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Sorry, but that doesn't fly with me. The most games he ever missed in a season was 4. He averages missing one game year at most.

How do you explain us signing Willie Roaf?

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Let the TIER TWO player signings bsgin... :shake:

Bell isn't a tier 2 player. He isn't a b/u LB. Whereever did you get that idea?

Maybe I'm not following you completely? Are you saying the only tier 1 FA's are those that are considered the top FA of their position?

jspchief
03-07-2005, 05:17 PM

You don't know what the f*ck you're talking about. Bell has missed more games in his first four years than Rolle has missed in seven years. If anyone is more of an injury liability, it's Bell.

shaneo69
03-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Sorry, but that doesn't fly with me. The most games he ever missed in a season was 4. He averages missing one game year at most.

And Trent Green. And John Welbourn. And Priest Holmes. All had medical conditions when we signed/traded for them.

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 05:45 PM
You don't know what the f*ck you're talking about. Bell has missed more games in his first four years than Rolle has missed in seven years. If anyone is more of an injury liability, it's Bell.

Previous to this past year nobody though Bell was injury prone. He had only missed 4 games out of 48.

Bell had a nagging groin injury this past season and missed 13. So what. That doesn't make him injury prone. Groin injuries, like hamstring injuries are the injuries that sometimes seem to lag in their healing. Isaac Bruce can tell all about those nagging injuries.

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 05:47 PM

Roaf is a different caliber player than Rolle. I shouldn't have to explain that. But, since it looks like I have to. Roaf is a future Hall of Famer. Rolle is a a one time pro bowler. Simple enough for you to understand?

jspchief
03-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Roaf is a different caliber player than Rolle. I shouldn't have to explain that. But, since it looks like I have to. Roaf is a future Hall of Famer. Rolle is a a one time pro bowler. Simple enough for you to understand?

WTF does that have to do with them being an injury risk? So if you were awesome at your previous team, we're willing to pay you to sit on the injured list?

Roaf was considerd a much bigger injury risk than Rolle. If he got injured, what would his resume have to do with how he helped our team? Does the NFL spot you points if you have a "future hall of famer" on your injured list?

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 05:52 PM
And Trent Green. And John Welbourn. And Priest Holmes. All had medical conditions when we signed/traded for them.

Trent Green has been a favorite of Vermeil's for years and had worked with him previously. Show me anywhere you can say that about Rolle.

Welbourn? Yeah, that worked out...

Preist Holmes was brought in on a very cap friendly contract. 2mil signing bonus, IIRC, with his original contract with the Chiefs. Not 11.5 million. And he wasn't signed to be the starter.

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 05:54 PM
WTF does that have to do with them being an injury risk? So if you were awesome at your previous team, we're willing to pay you to sit on the injured list?

Roaf was considerd a much bigger injury risk than Rolle. If he got injured, what would his resume have to do with how he helped our team? Does the NFL spot you points if you have a "future hall of famer" on your injured list?

Quit being a fuggin idiot. There is a difference in trading for a future Hall of Famer than signing an aging injury risk to a high priced contract.

jspchief
03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Quit being a fuggin idiot. There is a difference in trading for a future Hall of Famer than signing an aging injury risk to a high priced contract.

Roaf wasn't an aging injury risk?

Baby Lee
03-07-2005, 05:56 PM
I think the point is, an injury risk is an injury risk, regardless of player quality. Nobody cares how impressive your IR or dead money list is.

memyselfI
03-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Trent Green has been a favorite of Vermeil's for years and had worked with him previously. Show me anywhere you can say that about Rolle.

Welbourn? Yeah, that worked out...

Preist Holmes was brought in on a very cap friendly contract. 2mil signing bonus, IIRC, with his original contract with the Chiefs. Not 11.5 million. And he wasn't signed to be the starter.

Saggy, you lose this argument when the comparison comes to Trent Green...

a guy who had been considered a mediocre player at best and one with a rebuilt knee too boot...so to speak. It doesn't matter if he was DV's poodle, there was still TREMENDOUS RISK. ESPECIALLY AT THAT POSITION.

Thus, the point is if the Chiefs feel there is VALUE in the risk they'll take it. What is baffling is HOW they determine that value...

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2005, 05:58 PM

Sure he is. I don't deny he isn't. I'll take Roaf and his contract anyday of Rolle and his.

philfree
03-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Says Baltimore contacted him Friday night, stopped everything with Chiefs.

Let's see......The Chiefs who have an awful, awful D are courting Rolle and then the Ravens and Ray-Ray/Ed Reed call so he signs with them. The Ray-Ray effect. Hate to say it but it's a no brainer for Rolle unless he can extort the Chiefs. Does it make me happy? No! I'd prefer Surtain though.

PhilFree :arrow:

ARROW2
03-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Some of you kill me trying to make yourselves feel better about losing Rolle and justifying the FO's tactics.......Don't front, we all wanted him, now that he's gone, "Well we didn't really want him...injury prone....blah...blah..." Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

LAMAR HUNT IS CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Saggy, you lose this argument when the comparison comes to Trent Green...

a guy who had been considered a mediocre player at best and one with a rebuilt knee too boot...so to speak. It doesn't matter if he was DV's poodle, there was still TREMENDOUS RISK. ESPECIALLY AT THAT POSITION.

Thus, the point is if the Chiefs feel there is VALUE in the risk they'll take it. What is baffling is HOW they determine that value...

No I don't. Vermeil had a previous relationship with Green. He was the QB that he and Mike Martz wanted in StL, also remember he wasn't considered a injury risk until the Harrison incident and he was also his first choice in KC. Remember the claim that Trent Green was the perfect QB to run the offense, he knew the offense like the back of his hand?

Rolle and Vermeil relationship are worlds apart in comparison to Green and Vermeil's. Sorry, but Green's previous relationship with Vermeil and knowledge of the offense outweighed the injury risk. I'm glad it worked out. How about you?

teedubya
03-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Im so proud of our Front Office. Wow. They know how to swoon potential free agents. We are blessed.

[/end opposite day post]

htismaqe
03-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Some of you kill me trying to make yourselves feel better about losing Rolle and justifying the FO's tactics.......Don't front, we all wanted him, now that he's gone, "Well we didn't really want him...injury prone....blah...blah..." Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

LAMAR HUNT IS CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We kill you because you act like a moron.

memyselfI
03-08-2005, 08:01 AM
No I don't. Vermeil had a previous relationship with Green. He was the QB that he and Mike Martz wanted in StL, also remember he wasn't considered a injury risk until the Harrison incident and he was also his first choice in KC. Remember the claim that Trent Green was the perfect QB to run the offense, he knew the offense like the back of his hand?

Rolle and Vermeil relationship are worlds apart in comparison to Green and Vermeil's. Sorry, but Green's previous relationship with Vermeil and knowledge of the offense outweighed the injury risk. I'm glad it worked out. How about you?

I was a big proponent of bringing Green here because of the relationship between he and DV...

but that did not blind me to the fact that bringing on a guy with a reconstructed knee who plays one of the most dangerous positions on the field was a HUGE freakin risk. And one the Chiefs are willing to take if they deem it a worthy one. For the TG decision the mitigating factor WAS the DV/TG relationship.

Now, me being from Venus and understanding the energy flow between human beings can really appreciate a group of men deciding to roll the dice and play the cards they are dealt when gambling on a such a high risk proposition based soley on the heartfelt bond shared between two men in the big bad NFL...

but this is an exception and not the rule. You are acting as if this type of situation is par for the course and I'm of the belief that it's not. MANY many a player have left coaches they loved or were not asked to return to teams/organizations they made successful due to even or less risk than that of a rebuilt knee.

The problem for Samari Rolle, and others the Chiefs deem unworthy of taking the risk due to 'injury', is that they do not have the RIGHT heartfelt bond with the RIGHT person to make their risk and the money they want worthwhile...

and given the 'big bad NFL' and Carl Peterson's history here that is a freakin shame/sham.

Ultra Peanut
03-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Bell isn't a ****ing injury risk, Saggy?

jspchief
03-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Okay, so the argument is that Rolle's injury is to much risk in relation to the size of his contract?

Tennessee knew about the injury when they drafted him, and when they kept him on their team for 7 years. But what the hell do they know? They've only won more play-off games and had more Superbowl appearances in 8 years than the Chiefs have in 35.:rolleyes:

Baltimore just ponied up big for him. Obviously they aren't very smart. All they've done is won a Superbowl and 6 play-off games in their 9 years of existence. That hardly measures up to the 3 play-off wins and no Superbowl appearances of an intelligent organization like the Chiefs.:rolleyes:

We are lucky fans. Lucky that we have an organization that doesn't take the dumb risks that successful organizations take. Maybe our war chant can be "We try really hard to not get burned in free agency, Yay!"

KingPriest2
03-08-2005, 08:26 AM

You can't

WILLIE ROAF #77
Pro Career
Mammoth nine-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle joined the Chiefs on March 26th of 2002 in a trade with New Orleans ... One of the NFL’s most dominant and highly-decorated tackles of the past decade

He was not a free agent we traded for him.

But how can Roaf walk? You would not think he would pass a physical.

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 08:28 AM
You know I'm really not sure if our front office did anything out of the ordinary here. What we're scum because it came out that the guy had a spinal issue? Is this really that much different than the Philly leaks about Trotter's knees or the story out of NY about Bell's shoulder and failed physical? It happens all the time. For all we know he just strung us along and used us as leverage to get a contract with BMore...

jspchief
03-08-2005, 08:34 AM
You know I'm really not sure if our front office did anything out of the ordinary here. What we're scum because it came out that the guy had a spinal issue? Is this really that much different than the Philly leaks about Trotter's knees or the story out of NY about Bell's shoulder and failed physical? It happens all the time. For all we know he just strung us along and used us as leverage to get a contract with BMore...

According to Rolle, the timing of us releasing that info was pretty questionable in relation to him intitiating talks with Baltimore.

Of course, Rolle got his contract and his money, so he certainly has more reason to make up that story. More so than the Chiefs, who were trying to drive down his price, reduce interest by other teams, and justify their ineptitude with the fanbase...:rolleyes:

Chiefnj
03-08-2005, 08:37 AM
People need to stop defending the organization for this bush league move. The Chiefs were his primary suitor, there is no question about that. The Ravens only became involved because they couldn't resign Baxter. Unless Rolle has Nostradamus like powers and could predict the problem in Baltimore, he was not stringing out the Chiefs.

If he was born with the condition, the Chiefs had to have known about it. The guy got evaluated by every single NFL team coming out of college, including the Chiefs.

The whole spinal concern arose after he left KC and he heard from Baltimore. The Chiefs were desperately trying to buy team and stall any other deal.

I wouldn't have a problem with him signing somewhere else if the other team overpayed for him. But the Ravens gave him fair market value. There is no reason why the Chiefs shouldn't have been able to have done that deal early in the week.

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 08:38 AM
I'd say that was different because Roaf was viewed as one of the final pieces to that offense and we got him for a releatively good contract and got injury provisions in the deal IIRC.

In Rolle, you're talking about paying a guy $18 mil guarunteed over three years on a defense that needs a hell of a lot more than one corner. It's a bigger risk. However, I think the spinal thing is being overplayed. It may have been one of the factors but the Chiefs may have backed off because they believe that they can probably get a better corner (Law, Surtain?) for that price or better and didn't want to sink it all into Rolle. After all, the dude DID pass our physical and we were negotiating with him. He may have just played us against BMore, and we may have just said screw it, if he wants that much we should just focus on getting an LB under contract then going after one of these other options at corner. Who knows...

Stinger
03-08-2005, 08:42 AM
People need to stop defending the organization for this bush league move. The Chiefs were his primary suitor, there is no question about that. The Ravens only became involved because they couldn't resign Baxter. Unless Rolle has Nostradamus like powers and could predict the problem in Baltimore, he was not stringing out the Chiefs.

If he was born with the condition, the Chiefs had to have known about it. The guy got evaluated by every single NFL team coming out of college, including the Chiefs.

The whole spinal concern arose after he left KC and he heard from Baltimore. The Chiefs were desperately trying to buy team and stall any other deal.

I wouldn't have a problem with him signing somewhere else if the other team overpayed for him. But the Ravens gave him fair market value. There is no reason why the Chiefs shouldn't have been able to have done that deal early in the week.

Yep truely not a good way to endear yourself with other free agents and their agents.

jspchief
03-08-2005, 08:52 AM
I'd say that was different because Roaf was viewed as one of the final pieces to that offense and we got him for a releatively good contract and got injury provisions in the deal IIRC.

In Rolle, you're talking about paying a guy $18 mil guarunteed over three years on a defense that needs a hell of a lot more than one corner. It's a bigger risk. However, I think the spinal thing is being overplayed. It may have been one of the factors but the Chiefs may have backed off because they believe that they can probably get a better corner (Law, Surtain?) for that price or better and didn't want to sink it all into Rolle. After all, the dude DID pass our physical and we were negotiating with him. He may have just played us against BMore, and we may have just said screw it, if he wants that much we should just focus on getting an LB under contract then going after one of these other options at corner. Who knows...

There is no possible explanation for us signing Ty Law now.

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I mean i dunno. All I heard when Trotter was visiting here was report after report out of Philly about how the Eagles didn't want to give Trotter big money because of his knees. Is that bush league? No one ever said negotiating in the NFL was good wholesome fun. Was our organization "classy" by doing this? Probably not. But it's not like this doesn't normally happen.

As far as Law, I am dubious because his agents are the Postons so again, you're talking about a guy who actually does have an injury wanting mega bucks. If the Chiefs can get him at a good price with contingencies, then I could see it happening. But I doubt it.

Like most of you, I'm getting impatient here waiting for this team to do something. I think there are still plenty of options available to make this a successful offseason, but the damned front office has to move now, they have to get one of the pieces out of the way. With Rolle, I suspect there was much more to it than just the injury thing, and maybe they felt they would be better off getting a deal done with Hartwell than with Rolle and getting some other corner. Maybe they want Bell. I really don't know because officially the team isn't saying much. I'm just going to let it play out and when all the guys who were avaialble to help us are gone and if none are on our team, then it'll be panic time. Really, Carl is out of chances after this season IMO. He has to make it work this offseason or otherwise there is no excuse for him being back...

Nzoner
03-08-2005, 08:59 AM
I watched the report on NFL Network last night and when Newsome came out and said our doctors saw no problem in offering him(Rolle) a contract I was reminded of that scene from Any Given Sunday only I could see Carl telling the KC doctor(s) what kind of report he wanted.

Ah hell with it,I'm going to try and let this go and go do something productive......like work.

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Bell isn't a ****ing injury risk, Saggy?

Sure he is. Every player is. You know that.

After the 2003 season nobody considered Bell a injury risk. He only missed 4 games out of 48 prior to the 2004 season. Now after the 2004 season in which he missed 13 games because of a nagging groin injury(sports hernia) he is now considered a injury risk. Groin injuries, just like hamstring injuries can become nagging injuries. It's a common occurance with them, even moreso when the person tries to rush the healing..

philfree
03-08-2005, 09:48 AM
I still think everybody misses what really happened. When ever the Ravens call a D FA he wets himself at the chance of playing with Ray-Ray and Ed Reed. They called and he came a running. That's what he as much as said. "Baltimore contacted him Friday night, stopped everything with Chiefs." Yeah if Carl would have had him signed before then we could have avoided it but narrowing of the spinal column causes players to retire because the risk of serious injury is so great. ie Micheal Irvin.

Make a deal for Surtain. He's a better CB then Rolle anyways.

PhilFree :arrow: