PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: If the Chiefs don't pay, they can't play this game

tk13
03-08-2005, 02:55 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/11076853.htm

If the Chiefs don't pay, they can't play this game

JASON WHITLOCK

There's really little reason for shock or surprise concerning the Kansas City Chiefs' free-agency inactivity.

Carl Peterson and the Chiefs never lied. They said from the beginning that they wanted to duplicate the 2003 free-agency season this offseason. They have their eyes and Lamar Hunt's wallet focused on adding three marginal, inexpensive defensive players.

Should you be outraged? Yes.

Teams across the National Football League are working around the “salary cap” and signing players they believe will give them a shot at challenging the New England Patriots for the world championship. Meanwhile, Peterson and the Chiefs are waiting for some NFL free agent to fall in love with Kansas City, Dick Vermeil, Arrowhead Stadium and Gates Barbecue and accept far less than his market value.

It's not going to happen. The going rate for an elite defensive free agent is $11 million to $13 million in guaranteed money and $17 million to $19 million over the first three years of the contract. Everybody wants “double digits” to sign. The Chiefs are reluctant to hand a free agent more guaranteed money than they gave Priest Holmes, Trent Green or Tony Gonzalez, homegrown stars who received anywhere from $10 million to $11.5 million in bonuses.

There's an easy solution. Give Holmes, Green and Gonzalez more money. Raise the bar.

If the bar isn't raised, all of the defensive free agents paraded through Arrowhead Stadium last week will sign somewhere else.

Linebacker Kendrell Bell is the latest free agent growing frustrated with Peterson's negotiating stance. He wants to sign with the Chiefs. But the negotiations between the Chiefs and his agent have hit an impasse.

“Right now, I'm focusing all of my energy on getting a deal done with Kansas City,” Bell told me Monday afternoon. “I don't really want to visit other teams right now. But if that's something I have to do, I will. Right now, I want to show a little respect, keep quiet and work out something with KC.”

Why Kansas City?

“There are a lot of reasons,” said Bell, who believes he can impact KC's defense the way Holmes improved KC's offense. “I had a really good visit with coach Vermeil and their whole coaching staff. Everyone there seems to be of the same mindset of what needs to be done. I really like what they have going on with their offense. They have that together. I'd love to be a part of a team that is just missing a couple of defensive players and contribute and be a part of something special.”

Bell's looking for “double digits,” the kind of contract Takeo Spikes, Al Wilson and Keith Brookings signed in recent years. The Chiefs, according to Bell's representatives, want to pay Bell similar money as that to linebackers Antonio Pierce and Morlon Greenwood, who both received bonuses around $6.5 million to $7 million from the Giants and the Texans, respectively. Pierce and Greenwood are solid NFL players. No one thinks they're future stars.

Bell, AFC defensive rookie of the year in 2001, missed most of last season with a groin injury. If not for the inactivity, he'd probably be the biggest-name free agent on the market.

Bell thought he had a blockbuster deal with the New York Giants, but the deal fell apart at the last minute. Word is the Giants got scared off when their doctors discovered arthritis in Bell's shoulders. You can find arthritis in the joints and muscles of just about every NFL player if you look hard enough. Bell passed his physical in KC.

“My health is good,” he said. “I'm feeling great and can't wait to get back on the field.”

Could he play today?

“No question,” he said.

Look, you know where I stand on free agency this offseason. The Chiefs need to lay down the (Ty) Law. But it's obvious the Chiefs have identified Bell as a player who can significantly improve their defense. Bell is a potential star. He's a Pro Bowl-caliber linebacker. Some team is going to give him “double digits” or something real close. That's his market.

A Priest Holmes falls in a GM's lap once every 16 years. Eventually, you have to pay for high-impact free agents.

“My play on the field speaks for itself,” Bell said. “I'm not a real rah-rah guy. I'm not a big talker. I let my play talk. I'm a person who loves to work out, condition and play. That's my leadership. I think I can definitely help set the tone for that defense.”

|Zach|
03-08-2005, 02:58 AM
So ya.

Totally sold on Bell.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 02:58 AM
Dammit he took my favorite phrase: "You have to pay to play the game" and ruined it.

|Zach|
03-08-2005, 02:59 AM
Jeez, the guy is bending over backwards to be a part of this team.

Lets make this happen.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 03:00 AM

Lets make this happen.
but not for double digits.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Jeez, the guy is bending over backwards to be a part of this team.< Insert homophobic Johnnie Morton joke here >

HolmeZz
03-08-2005, 03:01 AM
If we're going to do a double digit signing bonus, we should be getting Hartwell.

Hammock Parties
03-08-2005, 03:01 AM
I still have faith in the Chiefs.

Miles
03-08-2005, 03:02 AM

Lets make this happen.

Yeah this might actually be more irritaiting news than the rolle shit earlier.

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 03:02 AM
So ya.

Totally sold on Bell.

I've been sold on him since 2001. So I do have my bias.

I'll admit it. I wanted Bell from the get go. Hartwell is the 2nd choice for me.

Didn't really want Rolle either. Perfect offseason for me would be Bell and Smoot. So, I guess I have nothing to bitch about....yet.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Hes too much of an injury concern for double digits. And I want him and hartwell.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 03:03 AM
I've been sold on him since 2001. So I do have my bias.

I'll admit it. I wanted Bell from the get go. Hartwell is the 2nd choice for me.

Didn't really want Rolle either. Perfect offseason for me would be Bell and Smoot. So, I guess I have nothing to bitch about....yet.
Im not sold on smoot

|Zach|
03-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Not for me, not signing Rolle didn't bother me to much. I guess I am not confident in the guy. The situation around seems shiity...I still dont know about all of that...

There is still hope Bell signs with us.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Im not sold on smootOh boy, you're in for it now. That's nigh on blasphemy.

teedubya
03-08-2005, 03:05 AM
I just want the Server to work.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 03:05 AM
I just want the Server to work.Why don't you ask for something a little more realistic. Like world peace or an end to hunger.

|Zach|
03-08-2005, 03:06 AM
I just want the Server to work.
You must really hate yourself.

HolmeZz
I don't see us getting Smoot. If we get any corner, it'll be Law or Surtain.

Nightfyre
Why don't you ask for something a little more realistic. Like world peace or an end to hunger.
Like the chiefs signing Bell, Hartwell, and trading PH for Surtain and a firstrounder.

Wait... nm

Miles
03-08-2005, 03:07 AM
Hes too much of an injury concern for double digits. And I want him and hartwell.

Yeah i think 10mil SB may be a bit too high considering what pierce got. Though if his injury has fully healed i think he is easily as good as Hartwell.

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 03:08 AM
Im not sold on smoot

Understandable.

I wasn't happy with the prospect of signing Rolle. But, I was ready to live with it and hope for the best.

Smoot wouldn't be the only addition they make in the secondary IMO. I still think they will go CB in Rnd 1. A FA CB and a Rnd 1 CB should stabilize the secondary for a couple of years. I think it is almost a given they will sign 2 new FA LB's too.

Miles
03-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Not for me, not signing Rolle didn't bother me to much. I guess I am not confident in the guy. The situation around seems shiity...I still dont know about all of that...

There is still hope Bell signs with us.

Yeah not signing Rolle really doesnt annoy me nearly as much as the jackassery of the negotiations. Skill wise i thought he was the best CB available but his injury history is pretty sketchy.

teedubya
03-08-2005, 03:11 AM
You must really hate yourself.

No I love myself... and when I think about me, I touch myself...

keg in kc
You don't want...anybody else.

beer bacon
Bell was the guy that showed up to the stadium in a DT jersey right? He is really trying to hard to make this work it seems. Too bad DV and Carl are probably offering him 15 mil and a 4 million dollar SB.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 03:12 AM
No, Smith showed up in the DT jersey. On his second day he sported a Montana jersey. Then on his third he signed with New Orleans.

|Zach|
Yeah not signing Rolle really doesnt annoy me nearly as much as the jackassery of the negotiations. Skill wise i thought he was the best CB available but his injury history is pretty sketchy.
I am still intersted to see what more comes of all of that. On one hand it seems that the FO did some shitty stuff...but on the other hand we are listening to a player who feels slighted by the Chiefs and is pissed off....

Miles
Im not sold on smoot

Im not either. Though he is young and would easily be our best defensive player if we signed him. With the options dwindling i wouldnt mind him in the least bit.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Bell was the guy that showed up to the stadium in a DT jersey right? He is really trying to hard to make this work it seems. Too bad DV and Carl are probably offering him 15 mil and a 4 million dollar SB.
I bet they actually offered him the same deal they offered trotter, or in that range anyway. liek 6.5-7 signing bonus.

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 03:14 AM

They offered a 7mil SB to Trotter. I bet they offered atleast the same or more to Bell. I'm probaly wrong though.

tk13
03-08-2005, 03:15 AM
No, Smith showed up in the DT jersey. On his second day he sported a Montana jersey. Then on his third he signed with New Orleans.
I think Bell showed up in a DT jersey too.... personally I'd be happy with either him or Hartwell. At this point I'm almost resigned to just hoping we get one of those stud MLB's and a corner, then we can draft an OLB and a CB in rounds one and two... I guess.

easymobee
Im not either. Though he is young and would easily be our best defensive player if we signed him. With the options dwindling i wouldnt mind him in the least bit.

Latest news on Smoot's FA movement:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5279345.html

Last update: March 8, 2005 at 12:34 AM
Team gets chance to court cornerback Smoot today
Mark Craig and Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
March 8, 2005 VNOT0308

After watching some of the best players in free agency swap teams Monday, the Vikings will try to jump into the mix today when Fred Smoot, the best cornerback still available, visits Winter Park.

Smoot, who will turn 26 on April 17, has 16 interceptions in four seasons with the Washington Redskins, including three last season. He rejected a recent contract offer from the Redskins that includes a $10 million bonus.

The Vikings are an NFL-high $31 million under the cap and looking to add another top-level player to a secondary that includes cornerback Antoine Winfield, whom the Vikings grabbed in free agency last season for $34.8 million, including a $10.8 million roster bonus.

The Vikings also will entertain free-agent tight end Freddie Jones today. Jones, who caught 45 passes for 426 yards and two touchdowns for the Arizona Cardinals last season, visited Green Bay on Monday.

The Vikings also are trying to schedule a visit this week with free-agent tight end Itula Mili, who played for Seattle last season.

The Vikings also are still discussing a trade with Washington for receiver Rod Gardner.

Miles
I am still intersted to see what more comes of all of that. On one hand it seems that the FO did some shitty stuff...but on the other hand we are listening to a player who feels slighted by the Chiefs and is pissed off....

Yeah im also interest to see if Baltimore frontloaded his contract. It kind of seemed like that from the news reports but i dont really know nearly as much about salary structure as some others around here do.

beer bacon
03-08-2005, 03:16 AM
They offered a 7mil SB to Trotter. I bet they offered atleast the same or more to Bell. I'm probaly wrong though.

I am really trying hard not to get my hopes up again. Why am I so gullible?

Rausch
03-08-2005, 03:17 AM
Why Kansas City?

“There are a lot of reasons,” said Bell, who believes he can impact KC's defense the way Holmes improved KC's offense. “I had a really good visit with coach Vermeil and their whole coaching staff. Everyone there seems to be of the same mindset of what needs to be done. I really like what they have going on with their offense. They have that together. I'd love to be a part of a team that is just missing a couple of defensive players and contribute and be a part of something special.”

Sign him.

He's a Cowher guy, and those guys are KNOWN for being loyal and driven guys. Always have been.

Marty, and Cowher, and Capers all have drafted those guys with drive, and determination, and loyalty. Even to a fault.

Guys like Gun.

Rolle was one of those guys. He WAS one of those guys, and we ****ed it up. Let's not do it again.

Bell is full of nasty, and physical, and pass rush. He'd be a great MLB, if he IS as healthy as he says he is.

Problem is, we are no longer in a position where we can afford to take the safe path...

Nightfyre

March 8, 2005 VNOT0308

After watching some of the best players in free agency swap teams Monday, the Vikings will try to jump into the mix today when Fred Smoot, the best cornerback still available, visits Winter Park.

Smoot, who will turn 26 on April 17, has 16 interceptions in four seasons with the Washington Redskins, including three last season. He rejected a recent contract offer from the Redskins that includes a $10 million bonus.

The Vikings are an NFL-high $31 million under the cap and looking to add another top-level player to a secondary that includes cornerback Antoine Winfield, whom the Vikings grabbed in free agency last season for $34.8 million, including a $10.8 million roster bonus.

The Vikings also will entertain free-agent tight end Freddie Jones today. Jones, who caught 45 passes for 426 yards and two touchdowns for the Arizona Cardinals last season, visited Green Bay on Monday.

The Vikings also are trying to schedule a visit this week with free-agent tight end Itula Mili, who played for Seattle last season.

The Vikings also are still discussing a trade with Washington for receiver Rod Gardner.
Darius is also begging them to trade for him.

Abba-Dabba

I thought it was Bell too. :shrug: Oh well, doesn't matter about Smith anymore.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Sign him.

He's a Cowher guy, and those guys are KNOWN for being loyal and driven guys. Always have been.

Marty, and Cowher, and Capers all have drafted those guys with drive, and determination, and loyalty. Even to a fault.

Guys like Gun.

Rolle was one of those guys. He WAS one of those guys, and we ****ed it up. Let's not do it again.

Bell is full of nasty, and physical, and pass rush. He'd be a great MLB, if he IS as healthy as he says he is.

Problem is, we are no longer in a position where we can affort to take the safe path...
I still think he would thrive in the OLB position where he would be blitzing every play.

easymobee
03-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Darius is also begging them to trade for him.

Donavin Darius?

If so. whats their link?

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 03:19 AM
Donavin Darius?

If so. whats their link?
Awww... shit. I gotta go find it?

brb.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 03:20 AM
Safety begging for trade
Mark Craig, Star Tribune
March 8, 2005

Jacksonville Jaguars franchise player Donovin Darius wants to be traded to the Vikings so badly, the safety sent a 51-word e-mail to the Star Tribune and then followed it up with a 30-minute telephone conversation in which he all but begged the Vikings to make the deal.

"Tell the fans up there that if I had my choice of any team in the league to play for, it would be the Minnesota Vikings," Darius said. "I've looked at every team in the league, and it's definitely the best fit for both sides."

The Vikings need a physical veteran with leadership qualities at safety. The 6-1, 225-pound Darius, who has played seven seasons at strong safety for the Jaguars, not only fits the job description, but was given written permission by the Jaguars last Thursday to explore a trade.

The Vikings are interested, but they have yet to contact the Jaguars. Citing NFL rules against tampering, Rob Brzezinski, Vikings vice president of football operations, declined comment Monday night other than to say, "Donovin is a great player, no doubt about that."

Making the trade won't be easy, or come cheaply.

The Jaguars probably would ask for the Vikings' second first-round draft pick, the 18th overall, or their second-round pick and a player. And Darius, who has been Jacksonville's franchise player each of the past three years, wants a long-term deal.

The Vikings are an NFL-high $31 million under the $85.5 million salary cap. However, the pending sale of the team has created problems in acquiring players this offseason because owner Red McCombs has been demanding that up-front bonuses be deferred until after the sale is approved by the NFL owners.

"I promise that I will not ask for more than the market value on a long-term contract," Darius said. "That's all I've tried to get from the Jaguars for three years, but each time, they've given me an unfair offer because they know they can just franchise me."

The 29-year-old Darius is one of the NFL's most outspoken players against the franchise rule, which allows teams to keep one player off the free-agent market in exchange for a one-year tender worth the average of the top five players at his position. If a player doesn't sign, the only way he can leave is if another team is willing to part with two first-round draft picks.

Darius signed his one-year, $4.97 million tender, marched into Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver's office on Feb. 28 and had a heated exchange.

"I told him he has abused the franchise tag long enough and that I can no longer put on that Jaguars uniform with the same kind of pride I used to," Darius said. "I'm not saying I will never play for them if they don't trade me. But I did tell Wayne Weaver that I lost respect for him as an owner and the entire organization. I said, 'You guys really disgust me.' "

Jaguars spokesman Dan Edwards said Jacksonville is not "shopping Donovin" and has not spoken to any teams about a trade.

Darius and his agent, Tom Condon, sent a letter to every NFL team. According to Darius, Kansas City, San Diego, Miami, Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit and the Vikings expressed interest. Detroit has since signed free-agent safety Kenoy Kennedy.

"That's OK," Darius said. "My focus is the Vikings."

Darius said the Vikings' tradition, fan support, recent upgrades on defense and need at safety all play a role in his interest.

Darius, a first-round pick for Jacksonville in 1998, has started 103 games and averaged 80 tackles per season. In 2004, he had career highs in tackles (87) and interceptions (five), and he also was fined $75,000 by the league for a vicious hit to the head of Green Bay Packers wide receiver Robert Ferguson (Darius argues that it was an accidental collision).

"I've talked a lot the last week about my desire to leave Jacksonville," Darius said. "But this is the first time I've gone directly to another NFL city and appealed to them that I want to play for their team."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5279229.html

tk13
03-08-2005, 03:20 AM
Sign him.

Guys like Gun.

Problem is, we are no longer in a position where we can afford to take the safe path...
He passed our physical... all these guys seem to be health risks anyway, if our apparently stingy doctors cleared him, I say go for it...

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 03:22 AM
I am really trying hard not to get my hopes up again. Why am so gullible?

I'm trying hard myself.

ClevelandChief
03-08-2005, 03:36 AM
GAY GAY SHIT, we'll end up with the same damn Defense as last year if they dont get moving...it's almost like they are looking for the next McCleon an overachieving one year wonder piece of shit player they can sign for peanuts that will suck complete ass.

OldTownChief
03-08-2005, 03:54 AM
I say we stand pat.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 03:56 AM
I say we stand pat.
OldTownChief is CP.

Lets crucify him.

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 04:07 AM
It may have hit an impasse because we're still trying to get Hartwell. If what has ben said so far this offseason is true (and who knows at this point?), he's stil the first target, so we're not gonna move on Bell until we have an answer from Hartwell. They may even view both equally so they might be trying to see which one they can get at the best value (which would hopefully still allow for the addition of someone like Law or Surtain). We'll see...

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 04:08 AM
It may have hit an impasse because we're still trying to get Hartwell. If what has ben said so far this offseason is true (and who knows at this point?), he's stil the first target, so we're not gonna move on Bell until we have an answer from Hartwell. They may even view both equally so they might be trying to see which one they can get at the best value (which would hopefully still allow for the addition of someone like Law or Surtain). We'll see...
Id rather have both Hartwell and Bell than Hartwell and Surtain/Law/Smoot.

We can draft two CBs if needbe.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Id rather have both Hartwell and Bell than Hartwell and Surtain/Law/Smoot.

We can draft two CBs if needbe.F*ck that.

J Diddy
03-08-2005, 04:23 AM
F*ck that.

agreed, no rookie cb is gonna step in and make a difference.

Although I say it would be a good thing to get 2 starting lbs, if we don't at least pick up 1 veteran starting caliber db, we're done before the season even starts.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 04:24 AM
agreed, no rookie cb is gonna step in and make a difference.

Although I say it would be a good thing to get 2 starting lbs, if we don't at least pick up 1 veteran starting caliber db, we're done before the season even starts.
wed be able to afford a cheap veteran, particularyl after june 1. Thats what would be great about two LBs. 1 "SUPER" CB = 1.5 "SUPER" LBs.

Rausch
03-08-2005, 04:28 AM
I still think he would thrive in the OLB position where he would be blitzing every play.

Too much size and too little speed...

Redcoats58
03-08-2005, 05:06 AM
My roommate is a big steelers fan and he was telling me that during one of the practices Kendrall Bell hit Bettis on a running play and knocked him backward a couple of yards and after the hit Bettis said that it was the hardest he had ever been hit in the NFL. The steelers stopped Bell from making full on tackles after that in practice. I'll take Bell over Hartwell. Bell is a monster in run support and a big time hitter.

ARROW2
03-08-2005, 05:07 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

WAKE ME WHEN THEY SIGN SOMEONE!!!!!!

Anyong Bluth
03-08-2005, 05:15 AM

except for when they were saying that Rolle was the part they were waiting on... then they got nothing done and Rolle jumped ship which then left a sour taste in Hartwells mouth and he reopened his choices b/c someone is only going to put up with our asshole attitude of wait and see for so long. These are peoples livelihoods and the concensus is CP isn't just a good negotiator but just a huge cocks*cker. I'm tired of him. We've watched every player come in here minus Trotter and want to sign and NOT 1 can get anything done. WHO THE F*ck are they waiting on to sign? Its pretty obvious that the chiefs aren't gonna stale mate anyone into taking a lower number if they have any talent - which is why we end up with McCleons and such. Sign Hartwell & Belle and Smoot - forget another safety (draft one for all if give a sh*t, its the easiest and cheapest position!) If they feel the need to get a DE then do it with the 1st rounder or get one off the market and trade up for DJ from UT (i wish.. this team never goes for anything but how to line their pockets)

Wile_E_Coyote
03-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Safety begging for trade
Mark Craig, Star Tribune
March 8, 2005

Jacksonville Jaguars franchise player Donovin Darius wants to be traded to the Vikings so badly, the safety sent a 51-word e-mail to the Star Tribune and then followed it up with a 30-minute telephone conversation in which he all but begged the Vikings to make the deal.

"Tell the fans up there that if I had my choice of any team in the league to play for, it would be the Minnesota Vikings," Darius said. "I've looked at every team in the league, and it's definitely the best fit for both sides."

The Vikings need a physical veteran with leadership qualities at safety. The 6-1, 225-pound Darius, who has played seven seasons at strong safety for the Jaguars, not only fits the job description, but was given written permission by the Jaguars last Thursday to explore a trade.

The Vikings are interested, but they have yet to contact the Jaguars. Citing NFL rules against tampering, Rob Brzezinski, Vikings vice president of football operations, declined comment Monday night other than to say, "Donovin is a great player, no doubt about that."

Making the trade won't be easy, or come cheaply.

The Jaguars probably would ask for the Vikings' second first-round draft pick, the 18th overall, or their second-round pick and a player. And Darius, who has been Jacksonville's franchise player each of the past three years, wants a long-term deal.

The Vikings are an NFL-high $31 million under the $85.5 million salary cap. However, the pending sale of the team has created problems in acquiring players this offseason because owner Red McCombs has been demanding that up-front bonuses be deferred until after the sale is approved by the NFL owners.

"I promise that I will not ask for more than the market value on a long-term contract," Darius said. "That's all I've tried to get from the Jaguars for three years, but each time, they've given me an unfair offer because they know they can just franchise me."

The 29-year-old Darius is one of the NFL's most outspoken players against the franchise rule, which allows teams to keep one player off the free-agent market in exchange for a one-year tender worth the average of the top five players at his position. If a player doesn't sign, the only way he can leave is if another team is willing to part with two first-round draft picks.

Darius signed his one-year, $4.97 million tender, marched into Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver's office on Feb. 28 and had a heated exchange.

"I told him he has abused the franchise tag long enough and that I can no longer put on that Jaguars uniform with the same kind of pride I used to," Darius said. "I'm not saying I will never play for them if they don't trade me. But I did tell Wayne Weaver that I lost respect for him as an owner and the entire organization. I said, 'You guys really disgust me.' "

Jaguars spokesman Dan Edwards said Jacksonville is not "shopping Donovin" and has not spoken to any teams about a trade.

Darius and his agent, Tom Condon, sent a letter to every NFL team. According to Darius, Kansas City, San Diego, Miami, Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit and the Vikings expressed interest. Detroit has since signed free-agent safety Kenoy Kennedy.

"That's OK," Darius said. "My focus is the Vikings."

Darius said the Vikings' tradition, fan support, recent upgrades on defense and need at safety all play a role in his interest.

Darius, a first-round pick for Jacksonville in 1998, has started 103 games and averaged 80 tackles per season. In 2004, he had career highs in tackles (87) and interceptions (five), and he also was fined $75,000 by the league for a vicious hit to the head of Green Bay Packers wide receiver Robert Ferguson (Darius argues that it was an accidental collision).

"I've talked a lot the last week about my desire to leave Jacksonville," Darius said. "But this is the first time I've gone directly to another NFL city and appealed to them that I want to play for their team."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5279229.html

ROFL looks like they got the same letter in Miami http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=69135&page=1&pp=15

OldTownChief
03-08-2005, 05:28 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

WAKE ME WHEN THEY SIGN SOMEONE!!!!!!

Amazing...This is the first post I've seen you make without asking KCTitus if you can suck his dick.

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 05:35 AM
except for when they were saying that Rolle was the part they were waiting on... then they got nothing done and Rolle jumped ship which then left a sour taste in Hartwells mouth and he reopened his choices b/c someone is only going to put up with our asshole attitude of wait and see for so long. These are peoples livelihoods and the concensus is CP isn't just a good negotiator but just a huge cocks*cker. I'm tired of him. We've watched every player come in here minus Trotter and want to sign and NOT 1 can get anything done. WHO THE F*ck are they waiting on to sign? Its pretty obvious that the chiefs aren't gonna stale mate anyone into taking a lower number if they have any talent - which is why we end up with McCleons and such. Sign Hartwell & Belle and Smoot - forget another safety (draft one for all if give a sh*t, its the easiest and cheapest position!) If they feel the need to get a DE then do it with the 1st rounder or get one off the market and trade up for DJ from UT (i wish.. this team never goes for anything but how to line their pockets)

Is there enough money for Hartwell, Bell AND Smoot AND still having enough money for the rookie pool?

I didn't think there was. But, I may be mistaken. Hey, you never know, a restructure here, a release there. Anything is possible, except for Rolle that is.

teedubya
03-08-2005, 05:39 AM
KCTitus, can you suck my dick?

OldTownChief
03-08-2005, 05:39 AM
Is there enough money for Hartwell, Bell AND Smoot AND still having enough money for the rookie pool?

I didn't think there was. But, I may be mistaken. Hey, you never know, a restructure here, a release there. Anything is possible, except for Rolle that is.

I know one thing. If we sign Hartwell, Bell, and Smoot I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the Chiefs first round pick.

OldTownChief
03-08-2005, 05:41 AM
KCTitus, can you suck my dick?

ROFL

He'll format your drive.

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 05:50 AM
I know one thing. If we sign Hartwell, Bell, and Smoot I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the Chiefs first round pick.

I don't ****in play for Penn St. anymore!

OldTownChief
03-08-2005, 05:52 AM
I don't ****in play for Penn St. anymore!

I can hear you yelling at Carl now.

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 05:57 AM
I can hear you yelling at Carl now.

Sooner or later it is going to happen. I give myself 2 weeks before I go into disgust mode. Oh, and then the draft comes along, just fuggin great. It will be like 2 days in eternal hell with the way Carl drives the draft boat. How fun!

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Let's see if I understand:

BOTH Bell and Hartwell have said they WANT TO BE IN KC but we HAVEN'T SIGNED EITHER ONE.

WE have the WORST DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE.

What is going on here?

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

**** you carl peterson and **** you lamar hunt...I hope you both get stuck in an elevator with jonny morton

htismaqe
03-08-2005, 06:50 AM
Bell's looking for “double digits,” the kind of contract Takeo Spikes, Al Wilson and Keith Brookings signed in recent years. The Chiefs, according to Bell's representatives, want to pay Bell similar money as that to linebackers Antonio Pierce and Morlon Greenwood, who both received bonuses around $6.5 million to $7 million from the Giants and the Texans, respectively. Pierce and Greenwood are solid NFL players. No one thinks they're future stars.

Geez, the Chiefs front office is so unreasonable. :rolleyes:

old_geezer
03-08-2005, 06:51 AM

March 8, 2005 VNOT0308

If Smoot rejected a $10 million signing bonus from the Redskins, does ANYONE seriously believe the Chiefs will offer as much to him ? Smoot will not be a Chief.....count on it.

Mile High Mania
03-08-2005, 06:56 AM
He's being offered the same amount as some barely known guy named Morlon Greenwood... sweet.

KCTitus
03-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Amazing...This is the first post I've seen you make without asking KCTitus if you can suck his dick.

I see I have an obsessed fan, now....sorry dude, I dont swing that way.

ARROW2
03-08-2005, 07:39 AM

You already got that job secured bitch...

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 07:40 AM
You already got that job secured bitch...

ah, I get it...you're in prison

Red Dawg
03-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Carl is a moron for not getting this guy signed. Totally stupid. He sounds like he will put on some azz whippi'ns to help us win.

htismaqe
03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
I see I have an obsessed fan, now....sorry dude, I dont swing that way.

I'm glad Warpaint has moved on. :D

htismaqe
03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Carl is a moron for not getting this guy signed. Totally stupid. He sounds like he will put on some azz whippi'ns to help us win.

Yeah, Lord knows Kendrell Bell is worth the same kind of money as Keith Brooking and Takeo Spikes. :rolleyes: