PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Bell wants to play in KC

Mark M
03-08-2005, 08:25 AM
DAMMT, CARL! SIGN HIM NOW!!!

Hell ... sign someone who can make an impact.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11076853.htm

There's really little reason for shock or surprise concerning the Kansas City Chiefs' free-agency inactivity.

Carl Peterson and the Chiefs never lied. They said from the beginning that they wanted to duplicate the 2003 free-agency season this offseason. They have their eyes and Lamar Hunt's wallet focused on adding three marginal, inexpensive defensive players.

Should you be outraged? Yes.

Teams across the National Football League are working around the “salary cap” and signing players they believe will give them a shot at challenging the New England Patriots for the world championship. Meanwhile, Peterson and the Chiefs are waiting for some NFL free agent to fall in love with Kansas City, Dick Vermeil, Arrowhead Stadium and Gates Barbecue and accept far less than his market value.

It's not going to happen. The going rate for an elite defensive free agent is $11 million to $13 million in guaranteed money and $17 million to $19 million over the first three years of the contract. Everybody wants “double digits” to sign. The Chiefs are reluctant to hand a free agent more guaranteed money than they gave Priest Holmes, Trent Green or Tony Gonzalez, homegrown stars who received anywhere from $10 million to $11.5 million in bonuses.

There's an easy solution. Give Holmes, Green and Gonzalez more money. Raise the bar.

If the bar isn't raised, all of the defensive free agents paraded through Arrowhead Stadium last week will sign somewhere else.

Linebacker Kendrell Bell is the latest free agent growing frustrated with Peterson's negotiating stance. He wants to sign with the Chiefs. But the negotiations between the Chiefs and his agent have hit an impasse.

“Right now, I'm focusing all of my energy on getting a deal done with Kansas City,” Bell told me Monday afternoon. “I don't really want to visit other teams right now. But if that's something I have to do, I will. Right now, I want to show a little respect, keep quiet and work out something with KC.”

Why Kansas City?

“There are a lot of reasons,” said Bell, who believes he can impact KC's defense the way Holmes improved KC's offense. “I had a really good visit with coach Vermeil and their whole coaching staff. Everyone there seems to be of the same mindset of what needs to be done. I really like what they have going on with their offense. They have that together. I'd love to be a part of a team that is just missing a couple of defensive players and contribute and be a part of something special.”

Bell's looking for “double digits,” the kind of contract Takeo Spikes, Al Wilson and Keith Brookings signed in recent years. The Chiefs, according to Bell's representatives, want to pay Bell similar money as that to linebackers Antonio Pierce and Morlon Greenwood, who both received bonuses around $6.5 million to $7 million from the Giants and the Texans, respectively. Pierce and Greenwood are solid NFL players. No one thinks they're future stars.

Bell, AFC defensive rookie of the year in 2001, missed most of last season with a groin injury. If not for the inactivity, he'd probably be the biggest-name free agent on the market.

Bell thought he had a blockbuster deal with the New York Giants, but the deal fell apart at the last minute. Word is the Giants got scared off when their doctors discovered arthritis in Bell's shoulders. You can find arthritis in the joints and muscles of just about every NFL player if you look hard enough. Bell passed his physical in KC.

“My health is good,” he said. “I'm feeling great and can't wait to get back on the field.”

Could he play today?

“No question,” he said.

Look, you know where I stand on free agency this offseason. The Chiefs need to lay down the (Ty) Law. But it's obvious the Chiefs have identified Bell as a player who can significantly improve their defense. Bell is a potential star. He's a Pro Bowl-caliber linebacker. Some team is going to give him “double digits” or something real close. That's his market.

A Priest Holmes falls in a GM's lap once every 16 years. Eventually, you have to pay for high-impact free agents.

“My play on the field speaks for itself,” Bell said. “I'm not a real rah-rah guy. I'm not a big talker. I let my play talk. I'm a person who loves to work out, condition and play. That's my leadership. I think I can definitely help set the tone for that defense.”

The guy wants to be here ... his health shouldn't be an issue ... his skills are unquestioned.

If they don't sign Bell or Hartwell AND Surtain, Law or Smoot, I will join the ranks of the angry mob.

MM
~~:cuss:

Eleazar
03-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Allright, I'm a member of the homer squad (tm) around here, and even I am starting to get pissed off.

MichaelH
03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
I will be as optimistic as possible about this signing. CP will find a way to screw this one up, I feel it.

Radar Chief
03-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Allright, I'm a member of the homer squad (tm) around here, and even I am starting to get pissed off.

I haven’t lost patience yet, but it’s getting harder to find.

Manila-Chief
03-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Homers,

Sorry to have to be the one to say this too you but on behalf of all the realist Chief fans ... "WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!"

InChiefsHeaven
03-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Yup. This is ridiculous. Here is a guy that is basically BEGGING to be signed, and we don't seem to be getting it done. This just sucks major ass...

Mark M
03-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Homers,

Sorry to have to be the one to say this too you but on behalf of all the realist Chief fans ... "WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!"

Ahhh ... the "We're realistic and know all, while you're just Homers" camp chimes in.

There's one thing in being pissed about the front office ... it's another to act as if you're a better fan than someone else for being pissed.

MM
~~:shake:

crispystl
03-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I will be as optimistic as possible about this signing. CP will find a way to screw this one up, I feel it.

That's no sh*t

ChiefsBrat3158
03-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Carl will find a way to srew this on up too :mad:

Eleazar
03-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Homers,

Not yet, there are still enough guys out there to have a good offseason. I mean, we could conceivably land Law or Surtain, Hartwell, maybe Bell and a lineman and have had a good FA this year. But, since they haven't done jack yet, it is hard to see them doing it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Carl Peterson and the Chiefs never lied. They said from the beginning that they wanted to duplicate the 2003 free-agency season this offseason. They have their eyes and Lamar Hunt's wallet focused on adding three marginal, inexpensive defensive players.

Yes they did lie. Carl came out a week or so before free agency began and said the team realized it's short comings and would be AGGRESIVE in the free agent market. Signing marginal players is not being aggresive. If they think it is they are delusional.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Yup. This is ridiculous. Here is a guy that is basically BEGGING to be signed, and we don't seem to be getting it done. This just sucks major ass...
Just like Hartwell...

MichaelH
03-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Yes they did lie. Carl came out a week or so before free agency began and said the team realized it's short comings and would be AGGRESIVE in the free agent market. Signing marginal players is not being aggresive. If they think it is they are delusional.

Maybe the problem is that CP doesn't really know the defintion of aggressive. Maybe he thinks going 60 in the 55 zone is gettin nuts. :)

Chief Henry
03-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Carl Peterson can Kiss my Lilly white AZZ...

redfan
03-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Ya gotta pay to play, and the Chiefs don't want to ante up. They think they can pull of another Holmes-esque deal. (Sign a player well below market value because of prior injury history.) It ain't gonna happen, because other teams will jump in while the Chiefs bicker over pennies and how much parking fees should be increased. It makes me sad.

KCTitus
03-08-2005, 08:48 AM

Is that anything like Best Buy's Geek Squad?

While Im far from pissed, I admit that it would be comforting to actually see a signing happen.

Manila-Chief
03-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Ahhh ... the "We're realistic and know all, while you're just Homers" camp chimes in.

There's one thing in being pissed about the front office ... it's another to act as if you're a better fan than someone else for being pissed.

MM
~~:shake:

Guess you didn't see the tongue in cheekness of my post? I was just trying to help you out in a crude kinda way. No harm no foul.

All of us are exasperated that Kingless has not done anything yet... would be different if there were only one or 2 guys who could help us and lots of teams fighting over them but the F.O. has several quality F.A. to pick from. Just maybe they are working on a contract as we squabble ... but I highly doubt it from what Bell and Rolle had to say. Other G.M. know how to get the job done ... restucture contracts, release players, long term back loaded contracts, but Kingless seems to not even care. And that is what gets me. If he was hard at work at it and all the players wanted to go else where I'd lighten up on him but seems to me that he is doing very little Sorry for the venting!!!

Where in that post do I claim to be a better fan???? I live too far away from K.C. and the action to make that claim.

shakesthecat
03-08-2005, 08:59 AM
While Im far from pissed, I admit that it would be comforting to actually see a signing happen.

Same here. I was disappointed yesterday because it sounded all week like Rolle might actually sign. Still, there are some damn good football players left out to be signed.

Will CP get any of them? At this point, I honestly think he will.
Then again, I won't be that shocked if we end up shoping in the bargin basement.

Eleazar
03-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Is that anything like Best Buy's Geek Squad?

Yeah, like before, I keep saying there are still quality guys out there that we can sign and it would turn into a good FA.

But, with recent FA's getting passed over, the threat level of us screwing the pooch has been upgraded to yellow.

beavis
03-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Yeah, like before, I keep saying there are still quality guys out there that we can sign and it would turn into a good FA.

But, with recent FA's getting passed over, the threat level of us screwing the pooch has been upgraded to yellow.
If by quality you mean second tier, you are correct. We are passing over the upper echelon difference makers for the less expensive, injury prone players, as always. I don't know how I actually thought we might do otherwise at one point.

Watch, we'll sign Bell and Law, and they'll both be hurt half the season.

htismaqe
03-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm not going to storm Arrowhead with a pitchfork or anything, but I wish to hell they'd sign someone.

As for Bell specifically, **** HIM.

He wants to be paid like Spikes and Brookings. Those 2 are LIGHT YEARS better than him.

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 09:11 AM
We are passing over the upper echelon difference makers for the less expensive, injury prone players, as always. I don't know how I actually thought we might do otherwise at one point.

bingo...the only hope we have is to quit low balling Hartwell and sign him...

Kyle401
03-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Pretty much the same post in another thread but.... handing someone a signing bonus in excess of $12M would count at least $2.85 Million against the cap this year (Assuming a base salary at the vet minimum in the first year.) If we are only $4.5M under the cap this would leave us only $1.65M under. At that point we would not be able to afford to offer another FA more than a $6M SB without cutting someone. Keep in mind that additional cuts will have to be made to sign draft picks if we use up our entire cap space for FA.

There was never much of a chance that we would sign a top CB and a top LB because we don't have the cap room to pull it off. Once again, our best case scenario is to sign Hartwell and Dyson (or similar) and draft a CB in the 1st.

beavis
03-08-2005, 09:18 AM
bingo...the only hope we have is to quit low balling Hartwell and sign him...
I don't know about you, but I'm not holding my breath. I have my doubts that we'll even sign Bell.

eazyb81
03-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Is anyone concerned with Bell's injury history? I know some people say that injuries should not be a concern, but I don't buy that. The guy has 4 years of experience in this league and has played about 2 1/2. There is no question he is a stud when on the field, but i'm not sure he should get as much of a payday as he wants. I want to do everything we can to sign Hartwell, and if that falls through then go after Bell.

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Is anyone concerned with Bell's injury history? I know some people say that injuries should not be a concern, but I don't buy that. The guy has 4 years of experience in this league and has played about 2 1/2. There is no question he is a stud when on the field, but i'm not sure he should get as much of a payday as he wants. I want to do everything we can to sign Hartwell, and if that falls through then go after Bell.

Not a bit.

Time to move, Carl!

eazyb81
03-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Not a bit.

Time to move, Carl!

Why?

I'm not trying to say we shouldn't sign him, but I would much rather give the money to Hartwell. No way does Bell deserve a contract anywhere near Takeo Spikes current contract. I'm also not in the camp that think Bell can/will play OLB. He is an MLB, pure and simple.

brent102fire
03-08-2005, 09:52 AM
CeePee will not offer Bell what he deserves and Bell will move on and sign with another team this week. I truly believe CeePee has no intentions of signing anyone until the June 1 cuts. I am not going to get my hopes up...that's for sure. :shake:

Sure-Oz
03-08-2005, 09:54 AM
This is very irritating, sign this guy, esp if he really really wants to be here, there should be no excuse.

brent102fire
03-08-2005, 09:55 AM

CP is doing exactly as he said. He is being AGGRESSIVE in bring FA's to KC. He never said he was going to AGGRESSIVELY sign them :p

Abba-Dabba
03-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Why?

I'm not trying to say we shouldn't sign him, but I would much rather give the money to Hartwell. No way does Bell deserve a contract anywhere near Takeo Spikes current contract. I'm also not in the camp that think Bell can/will play OLB. He is an MLB, pure and simple.

Well, I really am getting tired of explaining it, but, I will again.

Prior to this past season nobody thought Bell was a injury risk. Prior to this past year he missed 4 games in 3 seasons(48 games), and all of those games came in one season. In 2004 he had a nagging groin injury(sports hernia) in which caused him to miss 13 games. Groin injuries, like hamstring injuries can tend to become nagging injuries. Ask Isaac Bruce. If you don't understand my reference with that I understand. But, what I'm trying to get at is Isaac Bruce went thru the same stereotype of being injury prone earlier in his career. For a couple years Isaac Bruce had a hamstring that took forever to heal, he would rush back and then reinjure the hammy. I am thinking Bell had the same issue last year because his previous history doesn't point to him being injury prone.

As far a contract is concerned. It sounds like Bell is willing to negotiate to be in KC. I'm hoping the FO is willing to negotiate as much as he wants to be here. Whatever the price tag may be, I just hope it is good for both parties.

HipHopper4Life
03-08-2005, 10:13 AM
10 million signing bonus? That amounts to about a million dollars for every game Bell has played in the past two seasons :)

This one has disaster written all over it.

Just suck it up and offer Hartwell a million more than anyone else is. Overpaying is better than not getting.

Mark M
03-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Guess you didn't see the tongue in cheekness of my post?
I'm not psychic. Try a smilie.

I was just trying to help you out in a crude kinda way. No harm no foul.
I neither asked for, nor do I need, help.

All of us are exasperated that Kingless has not done anything yet... would be different if there were only one or 2 guys who could help us and lots of teams fighting over them but the F.O. has several quality F.A. to pick from. Just maybe they are working on a contract as we squabble ... but I highly doubt it from what Bell and Rolle had to say. Other G.M. know how to get the job done ... restucture contracts, release players, long term back loaded contracts, but Kingless seems to not even care. And that is what gets me. If he was hard at work at it and all the players wanted to go else where I'd lighten up on him but seems to me that he is doing very little Sorry for the venting!!!
I agree. And please, feel free to vent.

Where in that post do I claim to be a better fan????
Let's see here ...
You start your post with "Homers." Last I checked that was not a term of endearment.

Then you say that you're a "realist," meaning that the rest of us live in some kind of fantasy land.

Then you end it with "TOLD YOU SO" as if you know more than others.

You add that up and you get someone who thinks they are a better fan because they are: a.) not a Homer; b.) have a better perspective; c.) know everything.

Don't get me wrong -- you have a right to be as passionate as you are. I can respect that. But in multiple threads you have implied that anyone who disagrees with you is some how less of a fan, or that you are more knowledgeable. And, quite frankly, that bothers the crap out of me.

The fact is, I was sitting in Arrowhead watching the team suck ass before you were even born. Does that make me a better fan? Hell no. All it means is that I've suffered longer and have more experience at dealing with an inept Chiefs front office. After 24 years, I'm used to it.

I guess I've lost some of the vitrol and passion for this team when my son was born. Every single day I look at him I realize what is truly important in my life.

Sure, I still love the Chiefs, and hope to pass that along to him (along with a receding hairline and sense of humor. ;) ). But I'm not going to get all worked up over something I cannot control. I'll be pissed if KC doesn't improve the team, but it will be a mild, "What the hell are they doing" kinda pissed. I won't abandon the team, not go to the games, or sell the season tickets my family has had for over 40 years.

Anyway, I hope KC will do something. Personally, I'd prefer Hartwell, but not sure that'll happen. I think Bell will actually be less expensive, and he's known to be a good blitzer, something Gun likes.

I hope they sign a CB -- Law would be great just for experience and leadership, but Surtain is younger and a 2nd is a good pick for him IMHO. Smoot I'm not sure of, but would be an upgrade.

Until all of those players are gone, I will continue to hope. And if they all go somewhere else, I'll join the ranks of the angry ...

well, until I see my son's smile. Then I'll remember that all of this is just a game.

MM
~~:shrug:

ChiefsOne
03-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Why can't they give him the money he wants based on performance and incentives?

If they are worried about his injuries and Bell says he is healthy then this would be the best solution for both.