PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Ball from Idaho

Idahojim
03-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Once all of the great wailing and gnashing of teeth has ended, here's what I think we'll see (although the crystal ball gets a little cloudy at times):

Corner: Ty Law
Linebacker: Kendrell Bell, Ed Hartwell

Draft: Best defensive end or wide receiver available at 15.

I could live with that.

CosmicPal
03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
When's the last time you cleaned your crystal ball?

:D

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Once all of the great wailing and gnashing of teeth has ended, here's what I think we'll see (although the crystal ball gets a little cloudy at times):

I could live with that.

Ty Law could happen if he isn't shooting for the moon and we get injury contingencies. With his agents, the Postons, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I suspect we sign one of those two linebackers. No way we sign both.

I still think we gotta go D at 15 unless some stud reciever is there. I'd love to see us sign a reciever in free agency to address this need. Why Morton is still here and why we aren't remotely interested in Burress is strange to me...

Lzen
03-08-2005, 09:20 AM

I could live with that.

I hope you're right. So far, the only thing I've seen is a dog and pony show. Until they announce a high caliber FA signing or two, I'll remain skeptical. :mad:

Idahojim
03-08-2005, 09:23 AM
I think Morton is gone on June 1. And I agree that getting both linebackers will be tough. But I think it could happen given Bell's injury history and lack of interest out there in him. Spend big money on Hartwell and less on Bell. Give Law a good signing bonus and load contract with health incentives.

This would also allow the Chiefs to move Bartee to safety, his natural position. I honestly think he would thrive there and push Wesley and Woods to be better players.

And if my crystal ball is that far off, I'm going to pitch the damn thing.

Bwana
03-08-2005, 09:24 AM
That would be great, but there is no way Hunt is going to open his wallet that wide. If they get two out of three, I will go into shock for days.

jollymon
03-08-2005, 09:25 AM
I hope you are right Jim. Although our front office seems hell bent on pissing the fans off 90% of the time though.

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 09:28 AM
if you think these cheap bastards are going to sign Bell and Hartwell your crazy...assuming they check out Laws foot I'm all for signing him, though I wish they'd speak Smoot...cheap bastards

shaneo69
03-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Have you written any more columns for KCChiefs.com since your crystal ball told you that the Chiefs would still make the playoffs last year when they were sitting at 3-4 before the Bucs game?

Chiefnj
03-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Here is my bite the bullet plan.

1. Call San Fran. offer this years 1st and next years 2nd for Julian Peterson. Now the Chiefs have a real OLB.

2. Try to sign Bell. He should be a little more affordable than Hartwell, the savings went to Julian. MLB addressed.

3. Sign Ty Law. His price should keep going down as the market dries up and he can't get off his scooter.

4. Sign a lower level CB like Renaldo Hill from Arizona. He's been an okay nickel back with the Cards. He has a few INTs and can turn his head so he is better than Bartee.

Idahojim
03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Nope. No more columns since then. I decided then and now that I will never speak of the 2004 season again. And so it shall be. That aside, it was an effort to make myself feel better and hopefully some others, too. Incredibly stupid. But I did feel better for a couple of days after writing it.

But "hope" last year truly was a 4-letter word.

tomahawk kid
03-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Jim,

Based on your "contacts" (if any) within the organization, do they have any REAL idea how unhappy their fan base is?

As a season ticket holder, I'm not going to put up with this much longer.

This fanbase (truly) is a potential powder keg. Does the organization see this at all?

Idahojim
03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Oh, I think they know what's at risk here. And I think when all is said and done, major issues on defense will have been addressed. But based on last season, I think they know that they have approached the fine line where support for the team meets abandonment. And while they are "thrifty" I don't think they'll allow the franchise to drift into what we saw in the 1980s again. They have some money to spend. And I'm sure they'll eventually spend it. And I believe the defense will be better because of it.

tomahawk kid
03-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Oh, I think they know what's at risk here. And I think when all is said and done, major issues on defense will have been addressed. But based on last season, I think they know that they have approached the fine line where support for the team meets abandonment. And while they are "thrifty" I don't think they'll allow the franchise to drift into what we saw in the 1980s again. They have some money to spend. And I'm sure they'll eventually spend it. And I believe the defense will be better because of it.

Thanks for the reponse. :thumb:

Straight, No Chaser
03-08-2005, 10:03 AM

Linebacker: Kendrell Bell, Ed Hartwell...

Is this the same ball that predicted the Chiefs would win their last 7 straight and make the '04 playoffs?

Just wondering.

--->

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Ty Law could happen if he isn't shooting for the moon and we get injury contingencies. With his agents, the Postons, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I suspect we sign one of those two linebackers. No way we sign both.

I still think we gotta go D at 15 unless some stud reciever is there. I'd love to see us sign a reciever in free agency to address this need. Why Morton is still here and why we aren't remotely interested in Burress is strange to me...
I believe Burress wants big money and is going to visit the vikings to get it. Morton will be a June 1 cut.
WHY IS THIS ORGANIZATION SO HIGH ON LAW?! He is a cripple as far as we can tell and will barely be ready to start workouts during camp. :shake: You can't say injuries scared the Chiefs away from Rolle when they are actively courting a cripple for the secondary.

Straight, No Chaser
03-08-2005, 10:17 AM
... He is a cripple as far as we can tell and will barely be ready to start workouts during camp. :shake: You can't say injuries scared the Chiefs away from Rolle when they are actively courting a cripple for the secondary...

I seem to remember we had a president who was a cripple, however I'm not sure he played DB

--->

beavis
03-08-2005, 10:21 AM
And while they are "thrifty" I don't think they'll allow the franchise to drift into what we saw in the 1980s again.
I'm of the opinion that we're already there. What exactly have we won in the past 12 years? It's an embarassment. Before long, we'll have to be enduring smack from Raiders fans.

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I seem to remember we had a president who was a cripple, however I'm not sure he played DB

--->
Sure at least FDR tried to hide it. :banghead: Law is running around askinmg 10 mil in a wheelchair.

Rain Man
03-08-2005, 10:26 AM
My crystal ball is showing something a little different.

1. Wait until June 1st and sign two second-tier cap-casualty cornerbacks who will duke it out with Dexter for the second CB spot.

2. Wait until June 1st and sign one second-tier cap-casualty defensive end who will spell Eric Hicks.

3. Trade down out of the 1st round and draft an athletic safety who we think can be a pretty darn good CB in 3 or 4 years.

4. With our 2nd round pick, we'll take a WR who will battle for the third WR spot behind Morton.

I wonder which crystal ball is in better focus...I wonder...

matts22
03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
My crystal ball is showing something a little different.

1. Wait until June 1st and sign two second-tier cap-casualty cornerbacks who will duke it out with Dexter for the second CB spot.

2. Wait until June 1st and sign one second-tier cap-casualty defensive end who will spell Eric Hicks.

3. Trade down out of the 1st round and draft an athletic safety who we think can be a pretty darn good CB in 3 or 4 years.

4. With our 2nd round pick, we'll take a WR who will battle for the third WR spot behind Morton.

I wonder which crystal ball is in better focus...I wonder...

What?! Carl won't spend that kind of money on a replacement for their current defensive star Eric Hicks! Otherwise your crystal ball seems to be perfectly accurate.

Chiefnj
03-08-2005, 10:56 AM
So, the Chiefs can't get a deal with a guy who has had an alleged spinal condition his entire life that hasn't affected his play, but the fans are supposed to hold out hope that: (a) the Chiefs will come to an agreement with a guy who is currently in a wheel chair and won't be able to run until June, and/or (b) a player with an alleged degenerative knee condition who is going to cost more money than all the others, plus a second round pick?

Get ready for the "Not-so-killer B" Chief defense of Battle, Bartee and Benny.

NewChief
03-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Just bringing up Idaho Jim's crystal ball thread, as he's still in the running.

whoman69
03-10-2005, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't say Jim's crystal ball is 100%, he did afterall predict we would go 11-5 after our horrid start last year. He seems to be glass is three quarters full kind of guy.
I do enjoy reading his stuff though.