PDA

View Full Version : Kyle (AustinChief) speaks to performance issue questions...

ENDelt260
03-08-2005, 01:12 PM

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
OK......but why is the planet so slow sometimes....?

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
OK......but why is the planet so slow sometimes....?One of the hamsters gets a 15-minute break every six hours.

Logical
03-08-2005, 01:15 PM
It's no problem TJ is a gracious host. Seriously

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-08-2005, 01:17 PM
One of the hamsters gets a 15-minute break every six hours.
oh.... well that's nice of them. Maybe we should buy another hamster.

Logical
03-08-2005, 01:21 PM
oh.... well that's nice of them. Maybe we should buy another hamster.We tried that but it led to hamster fights and lowered productivity.

big nasty kcnut
03-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Well thank you austin for fixing the site hope you'll have many good things happen for you.

ptlyon
03-08-2005, 01:22 PM
One of the hamsters gets a 15-minute break every six hours.

Thank god they're not gerbils.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Thank god they're not gerbils.Well, we had ENDelt try that, but for some reason he kept bringing them in frozen.

Iowanian
03-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks for working on it kyle.

I'm all for cutting some of the dead weight threads. Feel free to get rid of any of mine, including the large "Friday goof off".

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Sorry, keg, I'm gonna ruin your joke by asking for an explanation.

Frozen?Riiight, like you don't know.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Same kind of thing.

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't really grasp the nuances, myself. :shrug:

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 01:48 PM
That's what's so great about this place.

PastorMikH
03-08-2005, 01:52 PM
I'll bet if we were to trim some posts, like maybe 46,610 of them, that might help the database. That wouldn't be a tough fix either since all you'd have to do is remove all of END's and let him start back at 0.

:)

Hydrae
03-08-2005, 01:56 PM
He'd still be past most of us in post count before the season starts.

Can Kyle set up a cron job to clean out a certain number of posts each night or once a week or something so this doesn't become a huge job needing to be done by hand next time? Dump the oldest 50 threads each night into an archive that can be looked at later for potential inclusion in the Hall of Fame.

Eleazar
03-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Forgive me if this has been suggested before, but would it make sense to purge threads more than a year old or something like that?

PastorMikH
03-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Lord knows I've never said anything of consequence. And, there's certainly plenty on here I wouldn't mind having removed from history.

ROFL

FWIW, without the search function, the secrets you posted are pretty safe.:)

dirk digler
03-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks Kyle for working on this. Much appreciated.

Skip Towne
03-08-2005, 04:26 PM
I still think it's the damn n00bs.

PastorMikH
03-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I still think it's the n00bs.

Actually, the last time I looked at the front page it was open only to registered users.

alpha_omega
03-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your hard work AustinChief...we really enjoy the Planet!

Rausch
03-08-2005, 04:47 PM
To have that kind of hardware for the planet would cost me an extra $500/month... not really an option right now.

--Kyle

That's $6k a year.

I'd say the answer is pretty simple if he's willing to do the work. Lurkers are free, to have the ability to post costs $10 a year. I'm pretty sure we've got 600 active users.

After everything he's done to give us a free BB for years I don't think $10 is that much to ask.

And if Kyle doesn't want to put in the time, I don't blame him...

Rausch
03-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for working on it kyle.

I'm all for cutting some of the dead weight threads. Feel free to get rid of any of mine, including the large "Friday goof off".

And while I'm sure it'll send Big Daddy into a tizzy, getting rid of the T&A pics couldn't hurt. Posting a link instead of a huge pic would make a pretty good dent in cleaning up space...

FloridaChief
03-08-2005, 04:51 PM
That's $6k a year.

I'd say the answer is pretty simple if he's willing to do the work. Lurkers are free, to have the ability to post costs $10 a year. I'm pretty sure we've got 600 active users.

After everything he's done to give us a free BB for years I don't think $10 is that much to ask.

And if Kyle doesn't want to put in the time, I don't blame him...

I'd try teh volunteer donation angle first before going to the subscription service route...

Rausch
03-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I'd try teh volunteer donation angle first before going to the subscription service route...

I would not be the one to suggest putting Kyle in a situation where he's forced to hope a large number of people will do the right thing, and if they don't he's stuck with a $200-$400 bill...

FloridaChief
03-08-2005, 04:59 PM
I would not be the one to suggest putting Kyle in a situation where he's forced to hope a large number of people will do the right thing, and if they don't he's stuck with a $200-$400 bill...

Not a problem if he solicits donations before purchasing the needed hardware.

If enough volunteers are not forthcoming, then the writing's on the wall...

Rausch
03-08-2005, 05:02 PM

Either way, I'd prefer he gets his funding before committing to an upgrade...

Logical
03-08-2005, 05:08 PM

I am pretty sure the money is for a 500 a month service charge. That would not be a one time deal.

FloridaChief
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
I am pretty sure the money is for a 500 a month service charge. That would not be a one time deal.

That's my understanding as well. I was not referring to a one-time deal on volunteer donations...

teedubya
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
yeah, most people attach the girlie pics... I think that if the girlie thread, and all pics were toasted, it would clear up massive amounts of space..

good call. people probably only look at last few pages anyway.

Ultra Peanut
03-08-2005, 05:50 PM
How about free to post but $10-20/yr for the ability to have avs, user text, signatures, and the use of the... search function? :D

That would be better than running off some of our less active but sometimes handy posters, IMHO, while still generating some revenue.

PastorMikH
03-08-2005, 05:50 PM
$10/year to post wouldn't bother me. That's next to nothing. Could also solve some "social" problems on the BB as well.

I'd be fine with that.

Perhaps even different levels of support which open up diferent options. For example, $10 a year gives gobo the right to post, $50 a year gives him the ability to post smilies.:)

Manila-Chief
03-08-2005, 07:59 PM
I want to say thank you Kyle for all your work. I do appreciate it.

This may have been mentioned ... but a couple of suggestions:

1. I notice the post of the one who starts a thread is repeated on each page. That's nice and makes it easy to keep tabs of the topic ... but seems to me it will save some space to not have it repeat each page??? Maybe the topic but not the post that starts a thread.

2. If those of us posting an article from the Star or another source would only post the link that would also save a bunch of space. I noticed that Whitlocks article from yesterday was quoted quite a few times in different threads. A link would save space....

3. and I agree that for the pics forum ... links will save space.

4. And, since I don't have any :-( .... pics in signatures could be kept to a small size????

Don't mean to meddle in your business .... these are just suggestions.

Phobia
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM
I want to say thank you Kyle for all your work. I do appreciate it.

This may have been mentioned ... but a couple of suggestions:

1. I notice the post of the one who starts a thread is repeated on each page. That's nice and makes it easy to keep tabs of the topic ... but seems to me it will save some space to not have it repeat each page??? Maybe the topic but not the post that starts a thread.

Heh heh. Do you know how hard he worked on a hack to make the thread starter appear in every page?

Rausch
03-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Heh heh. Do you know how hard he worked on a hack to make the thread starter appear in every page?

And I'm a big fan of it.

Banning Denise would probably save a lot of space. Honestly.

Just think about it...

Dartgod
03-08-2005, 08:43 PM
And I'm a big fan of it.

Just think about it...
I'd kick in a few $$$ for that.

PastorMikH
03-08-2005, 08:44 PM
And I'm a big fan of it.

Just think about it...

You probably have a point there.

tommykat
03-08-2005, 09:41 PM
You probably have a point there.

Lots of babies coming soon.....ROFL

mcan
03-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all your work Kyle, you rock man...

stanleychief
03-08-2005, 11:03 PM
To have that kind of hardware for the planet would cost me an extra $500/month... not really an option right now.

I hope this is a typo and he meant $50 a month, because if anyone was paying $500 a month for hosting a bulletin board, they are insane. Is this hosted on a leased server, or is this a custom built and owned server?

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Kyle....Thanks for all you do. It's gotta be a thankless job sometimes, or an annoying hobby...but know that your work is greatly appreciated.

One thing: how about a Paypal e-mail that we can send cash to you at? Or an address that we can put a check in the mail. I dropped you an e-mail or PM awhile back, but I know you are a busy guy....if you made a "donation" link or thread somewhere, I think you might be surprised.... :)

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2005, 11:11 PM
I hope this is a typo and he meant $50 a month, because if anyone was paying $500 a month for hosting a bulletin board, they are insane. Is this hosted on a leased server, or is this a custom built and owned server?

I could be wrong, but he seemed to be talking hardware...in which case a $6 K capital investment would not be surprising. But WTF do I know? :shrug:

Hammock Parties
03-08-2005, 11:12 PM
We should nuke at least half of the girlie thread.

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2005, 11:14 PM
We should nuke at least half of the girlie thread.

THIS is proof; you ARE gay... :hmmm:

:p

Hammock Parties
03-08-2005, 11:17 PM
THIS is proof; you ARE gay... :hmmm:

:p

I just have no use for a bunch of pics I've looked at already. And I suspect neither does anyone else.

If it's an issue I see no reason to keep most of that thread.

stanleychief
03-08-2005, 11:58 PM
I could be wrong, but he seemed to be talking hardware...in which case a $6 K capital investment would not be surprising. But WTF do I know? :shrug:

That would be one heck of a server for $6k!

I've got a server with 1.25 terabytes of storage, dual Xeons and a gig of ECC memory sitting in my basement that I built for well under $2k. It's a got a real nice case with 9 hot swap SATA drives. That should be more than enough horsepower to run a bulletin board of any size. Disk speed is the key for large database sites. Memory certainly doesn't hurt either.

If this database has 3 million posts though, that's going to bring even the mightiest servers down to its knees. Really the best thing to do without breaking the bank would be to prune out the old messages to a different database (or system) altogether. For the girlie thread, nuke the posts and make it just a picture gallery, or something similar.

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2005, 12:03 AM
That would be one heck of a server for $6k!

I've got a server with 1.25 terabytes of storage, dual Xeons and a gig of ECC memory sitting in my basement that I built for well under $2k. It's a got a real nice case with 9 hot swap SATA drives. That should be more than enough horsepower to run a bulletin board of any size. Disk speed is the key for large database sites. Memory certainly doesn't hurt either.

If this database has 3 million posts though, that's going to bring even the mightiest servers down to its knees. Really the best thing to do without breaking the bank would be to prune out the old messages to a different database (or system) altogether. For the girlie thread, nuke the posts and make it just a picture gallery, or something similar.

They are resisting "pruning" the database, for sentimental reasons that are understandable....we've got some funny chit here....however, I think you are right. It's gotta be done.

Current and functional, beats comprehensive and lethargic in my book.

go bo
03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
I'd be fine with that.

Perhaps even different levels of support which open up diferent options. For example, $10 a year gives gobo the right to post, $50 a year gives him the ability to post smilies.:)hey! :cuss:

c'mon now, i'm retired and living on a reduced income... :deevee:

and, besides, all those poor smilies wouldn't get the attention that they need without me... :D :D :D

KCTitus
03-09-2005, 07:06 AM
It really disappoints me that we might actually prune actual football converstations, instead of the junk like "what's your favorite movie/dog/jeans/watch/car/apple...etc".

Kerberos
03-09-2005, 09:32 AM
They need to open a PayPal account for donations and then make a DONATIONS link on top of everypage.

I would hit the link a give a donation through paypal cause its easy and no paper or mailing involved!

Just IMO

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2005, 09:34 AM
They need to open a PayPal account for donations and then make a DONATIONS link on top of everypage.

I would hit the link a give a donation through paypal cause its easy and no paper or mailing involved!

Just IMO

Yep. That's exactly what I'm gettin' at. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Good gosh, I go to all the effort (ok, it really wasn't that much) of putting Kyle's comments in a sticky thread, and people still don't read them.

I read that. Is he planning on really pruning it? Sorry, if I was mistaken....I just thought there was a real hesitancy to do it in any significant sense. :shrug:

Dartgod
03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Of course not. He just said that to be funny.
I'm laughing. That Kyle is a funny mofo.

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Of course not. He just said that to be funny.

Pruning it is one thing; PRUNING it to prevent a relapse in the not-too-distant future is quite another, in my mind. I'm a liberal arts guy--lots of 'gray' areas out there for me; you analytical types see EVERYTHING (expect morality...heh) in black and white. To each his own.

You don't ever take time off from bein' a dick, do you? ROFL

chiefs4me
03-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Pruning it is one thing; PRUNING it to prevent a relapse in the not-too-distant future is quite another, in my mind. I'm a liberal arts guy--lots of 'gray' areas out there for me; you analytical types see EVERYTHING (expect morality...heh) in black and white. To each his own.

You don't ever take time off from bein' a dick, do you? ROFL

NO..........ROFL

Iowanian
03-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Shooooosh ,,,,,,

The men are talking

keg in kc
03-09-2005, 04:24 PM
The men are talkingAnd Mr. Kotter, too.

HemiEd
03-09-2005, 08:24 PM
I still do not know who is footing the bill for everything but I certainly appreciate it and if it is decided that a tuition is involved count me in. Thanks to those who do what they do!

Phobia
03-09-2005, 08:28 PM
I still do not know who is footing the bill for everything but I certainly appreciate it and if it is decided that a tuition is involved count me in. Thanks to those who do what they do!

The membership has paid for this site. The google ads in the top right hand corner pay a small amount each month based upon clicks. So, if you see something that may interest you, click on them. If you're just clicking to be nice - don't. Google will terminate the relationship if they sense click"fraud".

HemiEd
03-09-2005, 09:08 PM
The membership has paid for this site. The google ads in the top right hand corner pay a small amount each month based upon clicks. So, if you see something that may interest you, click on them. If you're just clicking to be nice - don't. Google will terminate the relationship if they sense click"fraud".

Thanks very much for clearing that up! :thumb: We employ the same kind of click survelance (sp) on my work site. We pay a pretty healthy sum for certain key words and want to prevent competitors from running up our bill.

bogie
03-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for fixing the planet. I too am willing to kick in $ if deemed necessary.

BigMeatballDave
03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
click"fraud".Heh - You may have just invented a new internet term...

Calcountry
03-11-2005, 04:36 PM
So I didn't miss a thing?

PastorMikH
03-13-2005, 09:57 PM
I did do some griping so I want to make sure and take a moment to say that for the last 3-4 days the BB has been working GREAT for me!

Thanks Kyle!!!

I really appreciate the work you are doing!

Bowser
03-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Let me throw in my thanks as well, Kyle. I've noticed a huge improvement these last few days. Keep up the great work!

Rausch
03-14-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm laughing. That Kyle is a funny mofo.

It just seems wrong that someone who's used and abused this BB as much as myself hasn't met the man. I think the only other human who's allowed me to waste more time is Julie Ashton...

keg in kc
03-14-2005, 11:16 PM
the only other human who's allowed me to waste more time is Julie Ashton..."Julie Ashton? Who's that?" Kyle asked innocently.

Over-Head
03-15-2005, 03:30 AM
I piss and moan too, but i'm an AFC rival, i'm suposed too :p

big nasty kcnut
03-16-2005, 10:53 PM
you suck loser mod iggy this bitch now.

Ultra Peanut
03-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Everybody

The Best Sports Site on the Net (http://www.chiefsplanet.com)Fixed your post.

B&