PDA

View Full Version : Marty to North Carolina?

Chiefnj
12-08-2000, 10:34 PM
I just heard this on the news. No details, only the sportscaster saying "It looks like Marty Schottenheimer's going to North Carolina." I haven't heard anything about this before.

Things that make you go HMMM....

Anybody heard anything about this?

Chiefnj
12-08-2000, 10:43 PM
I'll be damned. Here's a story from Yahoo Sports.

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Florida State assistant Mark Richt and former NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer have interviewed for the coaching job at North Carolina, a university official said.

Athletic director Dick Baddour met with Richt on Thursday in Atlanta and with Schottenheimer twice this week, most recently on Wednesday, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The university said there would be no news conference about a coach on Friday. Athletics department spokesman Steve Kirschner said Baddour was still interviewing candidates and did not know who had already been interviewed.

Baddour did not return calls to his office on Friday.

North Carolina is looking to replace Carl Torbush, who was fired Nov. 20 after three seasons. Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer rejected a seven-year, $8.4 million deal to coach the Tar Heels a week later.

Richt has been FSU's offensive coordinator since 1994. He has been a member of Bobby Bowden's staff since 1985, except for 1989, when he was offensive coordinator at East Carolina.

Richt told the Tallahassee (Fla.) Democrat that he interviewed for the North Carolina job, but said he didn't have another meeting scheduled. He did not return a call to his office Friday.

CONTINUED<BR>

Clint in Wichita
12-08-2000, 10:43 PM
Yup. He's had 2 interviews so far. Kurt says Marty wants to get back to teaching. I say I want draft picks, dammit!!! Plus I HATE Carolina...
http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3774f8c6.c07,.html

Chiefnj
12-08-2000, 10:44 PM
CONTINUED...

Schottenheimer, who has a home in suburban Charlotte, could not be reached for comment. He coached the Cleveland Browns and Kansas City Chiefs. He retired from coaching in January 1999 and is now an ESPN analyst.

North Carolina officials have also interviewed New Orleans Saints linebackers coach John Bunting and Western Michigan coach Gary Darnell.

Baddour and school chancellor James Moeser met with Bunting in New Orleans on Saturday. Bunting, who played for North Carolina from 1968-71, met with school officials in Chapel Hill on Monday.

Darnell was a North Carolina assistant from 1976-77. <BR>

Chiefnj
12-08-2000, 10:45 PM
Well, Marty sticks us again. Obviously, by going to a college team, no draft picks in return. What an a$$hole.

Oh well, hopefully he'll take his retarded little brother with him.

Clint in Wichita
12-08-2000, 11:08 PM
Marty will set two record at Carolina:

Number of Bowl Games played in.

Number of Bowl Games lost...

Moon§hiner
12-09-2000, 09:51 AM
frazod - I guarantee Kurt will go work for Marty. Nobody else would have him.