PDA

View Full Version : Signing Bell won't do good without signing an OLB

Chiefs Pantalones
03-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Bell isn't going to raise the play of Fujita and whoever the heck plays on the other side (Barber won't be back until the 6th week of the season at the earliest). They need an OLB, and a CB now, IMO.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-08-2005, 05:03 PM
As of right now, this signing changes nothing. If we play now, we're still the worst D in the league.

Archie Bunker
03-08-2005, 05:05 PM
OLB
Simmons
Polley
Holdman

CB
Law
Surtain
Dyson
Scott
Hill

As far as I can tell those are our best options. take your pick.

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
You can only sign one guy before you sign the next guy. :shrug:

The front office has already said they want two impact free agents and if possible, 3 starters from free agency. I don't think we're done yet...

Rausch
03-08-2005, 05:08 PM
As of right now, this signing changes nothing. If we play now, we're still the worst D in the league.

I think getting Bell is a HUGE improvement over the career-special-teamer fill-in players we've had at MLB the last three years.

HUGE improvment.

But that does very little to help stop teams from consistently completing the deep pass on 3rd and long. Right now our secondary is still one of the worst in the league...

Chiefs Pantalones
03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
I want Surtain as far as CBs go. Our 2nd round pick isn't worth my crap, so let it go.

OLBs...oh crap. That's not a good-looking list, IMO. Out of those, I'd go with Polley, only because Holdman is a folk hero here who is trying to die peacefully lol.

Spicy McHaggis
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Fox, my man. He's going to blow up.

CosmicPal
03-08-2005, 05:11 PM
If we play now, we're still the worst D in the league.

No, we're not.

Rausch
03-08-2005, 05:18 PM
I want Surtain as far as CBs go. Our 2nd round pick isn't worth my crap, so let it go.

Agreed. I don't see the problem.

If we don't trade for Surtain we likely give up a 1st rounder in the draft and a huge contract to get one.

If we make the trade we give up a 2nd and a huge contract.

Either way, draft or FA, we're giving up big money and a pick to get a guy. The only main difference is that in Surtain we know what we're getting and only giving a 2nd, while a 1st round draft pick is a gamble and of course costs us a first as well..

DaWolf
03-08-2005, 05:21 PM

OLBs...oh crap. That's not a good-looking list, IMO. Out of those, I'd go with Polley, only because Holdman is a folk hero here who is trying to die peacefully lol.
I'd trade it too, especially if we get at least a 4th round compensation pick for Tait, which would allow us to still possibly trade up into round 3 or late round 2 if we wanted. We need to win today, and it ain't likely to happen with a rookie in round 2...

Nightfyre
03-08-2005, 05:48 PM
At this point:

I would try to get Smoot in.
Sign a solid veteran OLB. Look for a June 1 cut to be picked up here.
I would move up in the draft to pick up DJ or draft a CB depending on which OLB is signed.
Draft CB in the second or move up and take a DE depending on what happened in the first round.

buddha
03-08-2005, 05:54 PM
I think getting Bell is a HUGE improvement over the career-special-teamer fill-in players we've had at MLB the last three years.

HUGE improvment.

But that does very little to help stop teams from consistently completing the deep pass on 3rd and long. Right now our secondary is still one of the worst in the league...

This is a great post. Bell is better than anything KC has, and to say that we're still bad on defense is true...but we're "better" with Bell without a doubt.

Our secondary IS clearly the worst in the NFL and probably among the worst in the history of the league. How is Warfield doing in jail? Bartee is still drawing a check? Dexter still on the roster...? Average at best safeties.

Some of this can be remedied through the draft. If we're smart, we wait on Surtain and perhaps something can be done on draft day. We may need that second round pick to move up to get Johnson from Texas...who is the defensive stud from this draft, IMHO.

KevB
03-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Agreed. I don't see the problem.

If we don't trade for Surtain we likely give up a 1st rounder in the draft and a huge contract to get one.

If we make the trade we give up a 2nd and a huge contract.

Either way, draft or FA, we're giving up big money and a pick to get a guy. The only main difference is that in Surtain we know what we're getting and only giving a 2nd, while a 1st round draft pick is a gamble and of course costs us a first as well..

How about we go after Smoot, keep the 2nd round pick, and package it with our first rounder to move into the top 10 and get Derrick Johnson?

That 2nd round pick has value, even with the Chiefs' propensity to pick complete duds in that round.