PDA

View Full Version : We're still negotiating with Hartwell

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
According to 610, Rhonda Gigantically Fat Moss asked CP what's next...he said they're still negotiating with Hartwell

CP also said that the Giants told him that Bell didn't flunk a physical

Archie Bunker
03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
:clap: I think Bell can play SAM. The front 7 would look pretty good with him and Bell.

Eleazar
03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Rhonda needs to tell Hartwell to GET IN HER BELLEAHHHH

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Both are part of CP's post-signing press conference, FYI.

Brock
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Good God, I hope so.

ZootedGranny
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
I had always assumed that Bell was brought in to play OLB instead of MLB, and that Hartwell would still be in play if Bell signed. I'm glad to say I was right, as Hartwell and Bell (if healthy) would make our LB corps BEASTLIKE.

keg in kc
Says the door is still open for Surtain, but that both the compensation (to the Dolphins) and the contract are problems. Didn't sound very likely.

DaWolf
If we sign both Bell and Hartwell, there are gonna be a lot of people eating crow. Still, there's a long way before that becomes reality...

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 05:14 PM
If we do sign both Bell and Hartwell (which I don't expect), I hope to christ we still have enough money left to upgrade the secondary, because I think we're still in deep shit against the pass if we don't.

Iowanian
03-08-2005, 05:15 PM
I think that if Carl can get Hartwell in, and move Bell to Sam..........That INSTANTLY improves the Run D immensely.....and also upgrades the pass defense, even with the turd Corners now.

I'm a Happy Fan with 2 new starting LBs..........I'm a THRILLED fan with 2 new Starting LBs and a Starting Corner.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Rhonda needs to tell Hartwell to GET IN HER BELLEAHHHH
ROFL

jspchief
03-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Hartwell is more suited to play OLB than Bell.

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 05:18 PM
He said they'd talk to Smoot if he didn't sign with the Vikings (way to be aggressive Carl!) and that they'd be in touch with Law as well

Iowanian
03-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey....I offered to take one for the team for Rolle.........If Hartwell's woman needs pleasured to make the team and a lower contract more tollerable...I'll but up and Knock her out from the inside.

DeepSouth
03-08-2005, 05:21 PM
If we do sign both Bell and Hartwell (which I don't expect), I hope to christ we still have enough money left to upgrade the secondary, because I think we're still in deep shit against the pass if we don't.
As bad as the Chiefs secondary was last year, with Bell and Hartwell playing LBs, I think it'd improve the play of the CBs.

And, I'll probably get crucified for this comment, but I still haven't given up on Woods. The guy played in the Pro Bowl two years ago. I can't believe he's washed up yet. Two years ago when Bartee was hurt and McKelon (spelling?) was starting at one CB spot and Warfield at the other, Woods was playing CB in the nickle package. They won the first nine games with him playing CB in the nickle package.

Let the roast begin..................

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't think anything but improved CBs is going to improve our CB play. I guess that's just me. And not only do we need to replace McCleon and Bartee, but we're facing 4 games without Warfield.

As for Woods, I don't think he's going anywhere but down. I hope I'm wrong.

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Mass is on 610, said Bell is the best LB in FA...but of course he has to stay healthy...said he hits harder than anyone

Chiefs Pantalones
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
He said they'd talk to Smoot if he didn't sign with the Vikings (way to be aggressive Carl!) and that they'd be in touch with Law as well

That means they don't want him.

I think Surtain is on their radar now. They have to get someone, but hopefully no scrub.

the Talking Can
03-08-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't think anything but improved CBs is going to improve our CB play. I guess that's just me. And not only do we need to replace McCleon and Bartee, but we're facing 4 games without Warfield.

As for Woods, I don't think he's going anywhere but down. I hope I'm wrong.

My gut is telling me we'll wait on and take a chance on Law. Risky, but we might get a stud on the cheap.

And I'd freak out if we sign anything but a CB in the 1st round.

brent102fire
03-08-2005, 05:33 PM
As bad as the Chiefs secondary was last year, with Bell and Hartwell playing LBs, I think it'd improve the play of the CBs.

And, I'll probably get crucified for this comment, but I still haven't given up on Woods. The guy played in the Pro Bowl two years ago. I can't believe he's washed up yet. Two years ago when Bartee was hurt and McKelon (spelling?) was starting at one CB spot and Warfield at the other, Woods was playing CB in the nickle package. They won the first nine games with him playing CB in the nickle package.

Let the roast begin..................

I agree that Woods is not washed up. Unfortunately, with the Chiefs weak-ass LB's, he had to play Safety AND LB as well. I think he will be back to his old self if/when the Chiefs get some good LB's

irishjayhawk
03-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Cardinals | Griffith Agrees to Two-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:21:46 -0800

The Arizona Cardinals announced they have agreed to a two-year deal with free agent S Robert Griffith (Browns). Financial terms were not disclosed.

That might help us!!

Mile High Mania
03-08-2005, 05:38 PM
If you guys can add Smoot and Hartwell with Bell... that would be good for you. I'd hate that actually.

Shag
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
If you guys can add Smoot and Hartwell with Bell... that would be good for you. I'd hate that actually.

Nice as that would be, I seriously doubt we could get all 3 done. I think the Chiefs will sign 1 more FA (or possibly trade for Surtain), and then draft either a CB or LB in round 1, depending on what position that 2nd FA is...

chiefsfolife
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM

remember we still have the draft to get a top flight corner

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2005, 05:53 PM
I had always assumed that Bell was brought in to play OLB instead of MLB, and that Hartwell would still be in play if Bell signed. I'm glad to say I was right, as Hartwell and Bell (if healthy) would make our LB corps BEASTLIKE.

If healthy, Bell-Hartwell-Fujita could be very, very good. Especially if they aren't constantly lookin' to help out in coverage. That means Surtain or a healthy Law...add another DE (1st or 2nd rounder) to the mix, and SHAZAAM! the "D" is fixed. :)

petegz28
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM

I agree 110%

keg in kc
03-08-2005, 06:16 PM
remember we still have the draft to get a top flight cornerRemember we need two.

chiefsfolife
03-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Remember we need two.

whats wrong with warfield...i think he will do fine now with the safetys not having to bite as much

chiefsfolife
03-08-2005, 06:20 PM
but it definetly couldnt hurt im just sayin we wouldn't be in as bad as shape as you think

Stinger
03-08-2005, 06:20 PM
whats wrong with warfield...i think he will do fine now with the safetys not having to bite as much

He will miss the 1st 4 games due to his dui

petegz28
03-08-2005, 06:39 PM
He will miss the 1st 4 games due to his dui
Has that been decided for sure?

Ralphy Boy
03-08-2005, 06:41 PM
personally i'd prefer that we pass on Hartwell and trade for Surtain & sign Law to an incentive based contract.

I really think we could convince Law and his agent to sign an incentive based contract NOW with a small ($3.0 to $5.0) signing bonus and part of the incentive in the contract being that if he starts a minimum of 13 games, we would give him an additional $250,000 to $500,000 per started game in the form of a likely to be earned incentive, paid after the season. Add a 2nd tier offseason roster bonus of $3.0 mil on top of that to sweeten the deal.

His options are few at this point, so it's worth a shot.

The first scenario I'd throw at them is a 5 year deal with a $3.0 mil signing bonus, a first year salary of $1.0 mil and bonus money of $300,000 per game started with a 13 game minimum. If he starts a minimum of the 13 games, it kicks in the 2nd tier offseason roster bonus of $3.0 mil and raises his salary for the following season. His total contract value for his first year could be as high as $7,600,000. If he doesn't start 13 games, we get off for $4.0 mil guaranteed, so basically it's a $4.0 mil gamble for us.

If he doesn't start the games, we've created cap room for next season and protected ourselves at the same time.

Warfield is out 4 games next season, right? We might look at starting him, Law or Surtain at FS/NB quite a bit to keep them our best DB's on the field and to keep their egos happy.

HolmeZz
03-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I'd rather have Law & Surtain than just Hartwell. I just don't think it's going to come down to that though.

Saulbadguy
03-08-2005, 08:41 PM
I agree.

htismaqe
03-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Neither is particularly well-suited to play outside.

booger
03-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Neither is particularly well-suited to play outside.
I don't think so either. Bell is 6'1" 257 Hartwell is 6'1" 250.

The only set of LB's like that would compare to Buffalo with Posey at SLB Fletcher at MLB and Spikes at WLB.

mcan
03-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't think so either. Bell is 6'1" 257 Hartwell is 6'1" 250.

The only set of LB's like that would compare to Buffalo with Posey at SLB Fletcher at MLB and Spikes at WLB.

But Fujita IS?
6'5" 247lbs

I like Fujita enough, but the fact is I've yet to see him make a good read in coverage, and we have him at the SAM spot covering freaking TEs! I'd much rather see Hartwell over there, who has proven that he can play the pass. I'd like to see something like this...

LE: Hicks
T: Sims
T: Dalton / Siavi
RE: Allen

SAM: Hartwell / Fujita
MIKE: Bell / Mitchell
WILL: Barber / Beisel

LC: Warfield
RC: Law
NC: (draft) Jones/Rolle
SS: Wesley
FS: Woods

Oregon chief
03-08-2005, 10:50 PM
whats the deal on dyson? are we going after him? He looks like a promising CB

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
whats the deal on dyson? are we going after him? He looks like a promising CB

He's good; but he's not physical...Gun prefers physical corners. He may have to settle for Dyson though.

Oregon chief
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
he had six pics last season and he is young. i wonder how much he would go for

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
he had six pics last season and he is young. i wonder how much he would go for

He'd be a tad cheaper than the ones who've gone so far, but the CB market is whacked....I'd guess 8-9 million, the first year (with Signing bonus.) Minimum.

Inspector
03-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I'd be worried about that narrowing spinal cord issue he has....

(yeah, I'm just kidding...)

Oregon chief
03-08-2005, 11:01 PM
dont say that. next thing you know us not signing him will be your fault

booger
03-08-2005, 11:04 PM
But Fujita IS?
6'5" 247lbs

I like Fujita enough, but the fact is I've yet to see him make a good read in coverage, and we have him at the SAM spot covering freaking TEs! I'd much rather see Hartwell over there, who has proven that he can play the pass. I'd like to see something like this...

IMO, SLB over the TE is the only spot for Fujita in a 4-3. Still, he can run like heck, has made a few plays in the backfield, and can rush the passer. That would mean Bell or Hartwell at WLB assuming we are still in the running. I would compare those 3 to the starting LB unit in Buffalo.

Actually I wouldn't be suprised to see a team, maybe even a 3-4 team take a run at Fujita once we sign another player or two. Probably would hope our Cap space would be drying up and would only give up a 5th rd pick for compensation.

I have no problem going after Hartwell yet. We really need to make CB a priority now and have to have plenty of cash and cap space to make a deal work with either Surtain, Law, whoever.

Regardless, it looks like CB is almost definate at #15.

It would be cheaper to go after Tommy Polley or a guy like Kevin Bentley who wasn't tendered by the Browns but was a first day draft pick who we considered coming out of Northwestern. Maybe even the great Warrick Holdman. All of these guys would be decent under the cap and wouldn't demand high signing bonuses either, shouldn't anyway.

The current CB market is pretty scary looking once you get past few top guys left and I don't want to see us settle for Chad Scott. I would take him as a backup though.

booger
03-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Don't forget about Barber not playing until midseason, assuming he doesn't get cut with an injury settlement.

RINGLEADER
03-08-2005, 11:12 PM

There's no thinking about it Keg...no new corners = another 32nd ranked defense against the pass...

Straight, No Chaser
03-08-2005, 11:23 PM
FWIW, News from AZ:
The Cards can really finish off a great FA if they could land Hartwell. The local insider says they will not/can't go into double figures --Hartwell must come down. Carl e´Thumb need to DEAL to nab Hartwell.

Cards now have some real speed on the D-front with Berry and Okeafor and need a DB; will likely take one in the first round. If the Cards land Hartwell it's because Carl e´Thumb did nothing.

--->

mcan
03-08-2005, 11:29 PM
IMO, SLB over the TE is the only spot for Fujita in a 4-3...

Like I said, I like him well enough, but he's out of position a lot!

My basic problem with all of this is that the MLB is the leader, heart and soul of the defense. We've been lacking a good MLB since the absence of Marvcus Patton, and you know what... We've been lacking a good defense since the absence of Marvcus Patton. Look around the league and tell me how many great defenses have weak MLBs..
Here ya go:

Team D/ PPG/ YPG/ Starting MLB
Pittsburgh -15.7 -258.4 --James Farrior/Larry Foote*
New England -16.2 -304.9 --Ted Johnson/Teddy Bruschi*
Philadelphia -16.2 -319.7 --Jeremiah Trotter
New York (Jets) -16.3 -304.9 --Sam Cowart
Washington -16.6 -267.6 --Antonio Pierce
Baltimore -16.8 -300.2 --Ed Hartwell/Ray Lewis*
Jacksonville -17.5 -320.9 -- Superman "Mike Peterson"
Buffalo -17.8 -264.2 --London Fletcher
Denver -19.0 -278.7 --Al Wilson
Tampa Bay -19.0 -284.5 --Shelton Quarles
*team runs 3-4

Many of these guys are probowlers and others aren't necessarily superstars, but had lights out stats anyway. I hesitate to say that we'll ever see Kawika Mitchell or Mike Mazlowski or Monty Beisel on this list of players... The bottom line is, we need our best linebacker in the damned middle of the field where he can get around the ball and make plays. Right now, that guy is Bell... Plus, he's used to the middle. Barber is still a probowl guy. I guess his injury is still pretty bad, we'll have to see how that ends up. I'ld like to see Hartwell over the TE though if we can get him...

booger
03-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Like I said, I like him well enough, but he's out of position a lot!

My basic problem with all of this is that the MLB is the leader, heart and soul of the defense. We've been lacking a good MLB since the absence of Marvcus Patton, and you know what... We've been lacking a good defense since the absence of Marvcus Patton. Look around the league and tell me how many great defenses have weak MLBs..
Here ya go:

Team D/ PPG/ YPG/ Starting MLB
Pittsburgh -15.7 -258.4 --James Farrior/Larry Foote*
New England -16.2 -304.9 --Ted Johnson/Teddy Bruschi*
Philadelphia -16.2 -319.7 --Jeremiah Trotter
New York (Jets) -16.3 -304.9 --Sam Cowart
Washington -16.6 -267.6 --Antonio Pierce
Baltimore -16.8 -300.2 --Ed Hartwell/Ray Lewis*
Jacksonville -17.5 -320.9 -- Superman "Mike Peterson"
Buffalo -17.8 -264.2 --London Fletcher
Denver -19.0 -278.7 --Al Wilson
Tampa Bay -19.0 -284.5 --Shelton Quarles
*team runs 3-4

Many of these guys are probowlers and others aren't necessarily superstars, but had lights out stats anyway. I hesitate to say that we'll ever see Kawika Mitchell or Mike Mazlowski or Monty Beisel on this list of players... The bottom line is, we need our best linebacker in the damned middle of the field where he can get around the ball and make plays. Right now, that guy is Bell... Plus, he's used to the middle. Barber is still a probowl guy. I guess his injury is still pretty bad, we'll have to see how that ends up. I'ld like to see Hartwell over the TE though if we can get him...

I agree.

:thumb:

Either way I see Bell in the Middle or Hartwell, assuming we could afford him. We do need some leadership and nastyness to rub off on Fujita, Fox, and rookies way may draft.