PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Knight in Today ?

nascher
03-09-2005, 07:42 AM
http://www.miamidolphins.com/lockerroom/teamroster/playerBio.asp?docid=11097

I think at the right Price Knight could be a very good addition !!!

Gaz
03-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Battle and Bartee should slug it out for Woods’ spot.

xoxo~
Gaz
Saving his $$$ for LB or CB.

Red Dawg
03-09-2005, 07:49 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

No Gaz. Bartee needs to slug it out on another team.

the Talking Can
03-09-2005, 07:52 AM

I think at the right Price Knight could be a very good addition !!!

Sounds like a lounge act in Vegas. Also sounds like we're moving into our Holliday/McCleon mode of FA....ugh

Don't give up on the big boys yet CP! Hartwell/Surtain/Law....we need real talent.

oaklandhater
03-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Bartee needs to slug it out at Mcdonalds

Im waiting to read on Kffl Bartee signs with Mcdonalds 7 year deal 6.75 an hour

tomahawk kid
03-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Gotta admit, I didn't watch many Fins games last year.

Would Knight be THAT big of an upgrade over Woods?

ROYC75
03-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Sounds like a lounge act in Vegas. Also sounds like we're moving into our Holliday/McCleon mode of FA....ugh

Don't give up on the big boys yet CP! Hartwell/Surtain/Law....we need real talent.

Bottading ............

What he said ! Stop Dick'n around Carl !:thumb:

Gaz
03-09-2005, 08:11 AM
No Gaz. Bartee needs to slug it out on another team.

Bartee could be a good Safety. Let go of your anger and think with a clear brain.

xoxo~
Gaz
In his happy place.

Baby Lee
03-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Bottading ............

What he said ! Stop Dick'n around Carl !:thumb:
Are you trying to say Bada-Bing?

ROYC75
03-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Are you trying to say Bada-Bing?

Uh, could be, beats the hellout of me ! :D

Mark M
03-09-2005, 08:23 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

I've been typing that around here about Bartee for almost 2 years now.

Good to see someone is finally drinking the same Kool Aid.

MM
~~:)

ROYC75
03-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Damn....... who didn't know this ?

Which current CB do we have now that doesn't have some experence at safety ?

MGRS13
03-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Gotta admit, I didn't watch many Fins games last year.

Would Knight be THAT big of an upgrade over Woods?
No they are pretty much the same guy only Knight will come cheap which we all know is the most important thing for any KC FA. So yea Sammy Knight will be the newest edition to the chiefs _efense. We should be moving right up to #30 or maybe even #29 overall this year. Whoo hoo!

tomahawk kid
03-09-2005, 08:39 AM
No they are pretty much the same guy only Knight will come cheap which we all know is the most important thing for any KC FA. So yea Sammy Knight will be the newest edition to the chiefs _efense. We should be moving right up to #30 or maybe even #29 overall this year. Whoo hoo!

That's what I thought.

Frankie
03-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I've been typing that around here about Bartee for almost 2 years now.

Good to see someone is finally drinking the same Kool Aid.

MM
~~:)

Hey, I've been riding that bandwagon too....

ChiefsCountry
03-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Battle was a freaking All-SEC safety, yet we move him to corner.

Cormac
03-09-2005, 10:30 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

I struggle with the assumption that these guys would automatically make good safeties. They have the measureables for the position, but they have the measureables for the CB spot too.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a wortwhile experiment to move one or both of them, but I'd expect a steep learning curve regardless of position.

Frankie
03-09-2005, 10:34 AM
I struggle with the assumption that these guys would automatically make good safeties. ....

Nobody is saying that. All we are saying is let's see how they do at safety BEFORE DUMPING THEM OUTRIGHT like many on this bb want. Chances are, at least one of them could solve our 'safety' problem.

Warrior5
03-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Seems like an appropriate place to bring up Hoover’s quote from 16 May 03 concerning Greg Wesley:

"I;d cut his ass we have like 32 Safties on this team already..."

...classic quote.

Gaz
03-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Cormac-

I did not mean to imply that they were guaranteed good. And I am certain that no one would be so foolish as to insist that Knight would be a Pro-Bowler in the Chiefs Defense.

However, both Bartee & Battle have played CB before. Both are already under contract.

We have needs at LB & CB. Safety is way down my list.

xoxo~
Gaz
Allocating scant resources to the most need.

Frankie
03-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Then again.... any word about Donovon Darius?

jspchief
03-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Then again.... any word about Donovon Darius?

Jax wants a 2nd round pick for him, and he wants a big contract.

I like the guy, but I'm not sold on spending big on safeties. I'd rather get Surtain if we're spending the pick.

morphius
03-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Cormac-

I did not mean to imply that they were guaranteed good. And I am certain that no one would be so foolish as to insist that Knight would be a Pro-Bowler in the Chiefs Defense.

However, both Bartee & Battle have played CB before. Both are already under contract.

xoxo~
Gaz

Its basically time for the coaches to step up and learn that you can use players in different positions on D just as they do on O. Hell, they line up Dante Hall at RB, H-Back, and WR. The Pats know how to do this, if they have a whole they look at their roster and plug in the guy they think will do it the best. I can't imagine that we couldn't get one good safety between Bartee and Battle if the Chiefs look at this as a need position.

kc rush
03-09-2005, 11:12 AM
We've got enough safeties on this team that we should be able to find someone to do an adequate job.

By the Chiefs bringing in Knight and talking to other safeties, can we assume that they plan on dumping Woods in June? What will that do to the cap since he signed that contract last year?

Frankie
03-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Jax wants a 2nd round pick for him, and he wants a big contract.

I like the guy, but I'm not sold on spending big on safeties. I'd rather get Surtain if we're spending the pick.
:thumb:

Archie Bunker
03-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Sounds like he can tackle and is durable.

CAREER PRO BOWL SELECTIONS: 1 (2001)

2004 - Finished the season with 125 tackles and is tied for the Dolphin lead with four interceptions ... It is his sixth consecutive season with 100 or more tackles ... Ranks tied for 12th in the AFC in interceptions ... Also scored two points on a safety on Jan. 2nd at Baltimore, the first points of his career ... Started 16 games this year ... Has now played in 108 consecutive games and has started in 96 straight games ... Has finished second on the team in tackles five times this season ... Has three games of double figure tackles

Wallcrawler
03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Im sure he would do all right with us, but we need corners badly.

As stated, we have plenty of young guys who could oust Woods or Wesley from their starting spots at safety. Julian Battle, William Bartee, Willie Pile, Shaunard Harts are all options that we could throw in there to compete for the job.

We dont have that situation at the cornerback position. Benny Sapp is the only CB on our roster that has never played safety anywhere. Its very sad.

The safety position can be fixed internally. We need help from the outside to upgrade the corner spot. Im holding out that CP will take his head out of his ass, and send the 2nd rounder to Miami for Surtain and pay the guy what he is worth.

With Patrick Surtain, no matter who we have playing safety, their job gets much easier. Hell, even Jerome Woods could play better if Surtain were starting on his side.

And when you add in Kendrell Bell, (if he can stay healthy) our run support is upgraded, and the secondary isnt having to always come up and make a TD saving tackle.

We need corners, not more safeties. It made me happy to see Dwight Smith sign with New Orleans so that Carl couldnt get him and waste the cash.

Logical
03-09-2005, 12:53 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

Absolutely agree :thumb:

Cormac
03-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Cormac-

xoxo~
Gaz

I agree that it would be a worthwhile exercise. And I would be really hopefully that Battle, in particular, could be an excellent safety. I guess I'm just sceptical that either Bartee or Battle will cut it as a safety. What a bonus if one of them does. But their past record at CB (and I have been one of Bartee's biggest supporters thus far) suggests that they'll struggle to re-learn a new/old position.

Hopefully I'm wrong!

Cormac
03-09-2005, 12:55 PM
With Patrick Surtain, no matter who we have playing safety, their job gets much easier. Hell, even Jerome Woods could play better if Surtain were starting on his side.

This is a good point. I am beginning to hope we can make a serious run at getting Surtain. I think he would give us the greatest chance of making a SB run next season. But it would cost us in the future, I am sure.

Chris Meck
03-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I disagree about the learning curve at safety; the safety position is entirely different than CB.

In fact, one could say that the safety position is much LESS demanding in many ways than the CB position. This is one of the reasons that old corners move over there when they've lost a step.

Bartee, and perhaps Battle (although we really haven't seen enough in game situations to judge-but the team seems uncomfortable with him at CB, so we'll take that as a 'yes') don't have the quickness, body control, or mental awareness to be good corners. However, they have good size, good speed, and neither is afraid to put a hat on somebody. This would indicate that perhaps either one of them might indeed be a natural safety (which was, after all, their primary position prior to joining the NFL and being asked to learn the nuances of a very difficult position at the highest level.)

No, I'd say that the best bet to salvage either of their careers (and draft positions) would be to move them both to safety this offseason and let 'em fight it out in camp.

Safeties, for instance, are generally FACING the line of scrimmage, therefore negating Bartee's biggest weakness, LOL.

No, let's spend our money at LB and CB. If worst comes to worst, we can make due one more season at S so long as we upgrade those positions. I think Gaz is right-and that we should end the safety to corner experiments and just put the guys where they have shown they could play in the past.

Chris

Spicy McHaggis
03-09-2005, 01:51 PM

Im waiting to read on Kffl Bartee signs with Mcdonalds 7 year deal 6.75 an hour

"Hey Burntee, can I get a liter of cola here?!"

Dave Lane
03-09-2005, 02:20 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

Agreed

Dave

Frankie
03-10-2005, 11:56 AM

Not in the kitchen. He might get burned! ;)