PDA

View Full Version : Building a defense for today...

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 01:39 PM
While building a defensive team mold for the future. That is what I see the Chiefs doing this offseason. Look, we are shooting for the youthful marquee guys like Bell, Hartwell, Rolle, Smoot.
This builds up a solid foundation so we arent completely rebuilding next year when everyone retires on the offensive side of the ball. instead we build around the defense and win like we did in the 90s.

Hoover
03-09-2005, 01:48 PM
We have youth on the D Line, Sims, Jr. Allen. We have Younth at LB, Fox, Fujita, and Now Bell.

Now some of the talent might not be great yet, but I think we are getting there.

Our main proble is that we have not invested high draft pick other than DTs since DV has arrived. Battler is the only DB drafted in the first 3 rounds under DV, thats a problem, and thats why we have so many holes, we have simply over invested in Defensive tackels and it has hurt the rest of the defense. Thats why no matter who we get in FA, we still need to draft a DE, CB, and OLB with our top picks.

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 01:50 PM
We have youth on the D Line, Sims, Jr. Allen. We have Younth at LB, Fox, Fujita, and Now Bell.

Now some of the talent might not be great yet, but I think we are getting there.

Our main proble is that we have not invested high draft pick other than DTs since DV has arrived. Battler is the only DB drafted in the first 3 rounds under DV, thats a problem, and thats why we have so many holes, we have simply over invested in Defensive tackels and it has hurt the rest of the defense. Thats why no matter who we get in FA, we still need to draft a DE, CB, and OLB with our top picks.
I agree, but I think this is a huge year in FA. We can certainly set a foundation by getting the youthful marquee guys.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Great, so in a year or two we'll have a solid D composed of 'average age' personnel... and we'll be in full-on rebuilding mode on offense because we've neglected it in favor of adding "young defenders for the future"! Super!! :D

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Great, so in a year or two we'll have a solid D composed of 'average age' personnel... and we'll be in full-on rebuilding mode on offense because we've neglected it in favor of adding "young defenders for the future"! Super!! :D
I think the strategy "be a playoff team as often as possible" is a good one. The best team doesnt always win th ebig dance.

Hoover
03-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I agree, but I think this is a huge year in FA. We can certainly set a foundation by getting the youthful marquee guys.
I agree, I think getting Bell and Surtain would be huge because they still have plenty of years left.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 01:57 PM
I think the strategy "be a playoff team as often as possible" is a good one. The best team doesnt always win th ebig dance.

Or, in KC's case, never

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Or, in KC's case, never
Well, we've tried the be the best strategy a couple times. It didnt pan out either.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, we've tried the be the best strategy a couple times. It didnt pan out either.

We did? When?

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 02:09 PM
We did? When?
look at 95 and 03
our 13-3 years?

Chris Meck
03-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I think we have young rising talent on offense as well-Larry Johnson anyone? And Parker, Smith, and Wilson show promise as well.

go bo
03-09-2005, 02:25 PM
I think we have young rising talent on offense as well-Larry Johnson anyone? And Parker, Smith, and Wilson show promise as well.that's right, but we could use a couple more like jordan black on the offensive line...

Nightfyre
03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
that's right, but we could use a couple more like jordan black on the offensive line...
or waters.

HC_Chief
03-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I think we have young rising talent on offense as well-Larry Johnson anyone? And Parker, Smith, and Wilson show promise as well.

Parker, Smith, and Wilson? Seriously? When have any of those guys showed promise? Parker was barely used, Smith is NFLE/Practice Squad fodder, and Wilson never saw the field.

Who's going to throw the ball to these dazzling up-and-comers?

Who's going to block for said QB?

Who's going to lead-block for LJ?

Point is our O is in SB shape NOW. It's also getting rather old. To build a D "for the future" is an exercise in stupidity. By the time the D is ready, the O needs to be rebuilt. It's the same cycle this team has been stuck in.

ChiefsCountry
03-09-2005, 04:31 PM
If their is a position the Chiefs can get good players at it is the OL. We never have had a problem doing that.