PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Herndon, Knight next on Chiefs' guest list...

DaWolf
03-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Herndon, Knight next on Chiefs' guest list

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

After signing their first free agent of the year in linebacker Kendrell Bell, the Chiefs turned their attention to improving their defensive backfield. They expected two free agents, Denver cornerback Kelly Herndon and Miami safety Sammy Knight, today at Arrowhead Stadium.

Herndon is a restricted free agent, giving the Broncos the right to match any offer sheet he signs. While it's difficult to picture Denver letting one of their starters depart to a division rival — particularly one with an acute need for a cornerback — the Broncos may have no choice.

Denver has a bundle of money tied up in one cornerback, Champ Bailey. Another corner, Lenny Walls, is also a restricted free agent, but the Broncos expressed a preference for him over Herndon by giving Walls a higher tender offer.

The Chiefs would owe the Broncos no compensation if they sign Herndon.

“We know a lot about him because we've played a lot against him,” Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. “We know he's been on a defense that's been rated very high. We know we have a tremendous amount of respect for him.

" We also know that (Chiefs wide receiver) Samie Parker beat him on a pump move when we played them late in the season. But he has a lot of ability, and he's somebody we're interested in talking to.”

Herndon, 28, took a long time to establish himself. He was undrafted out of college at Toledo and was cut four times in three years before finally catching on with the Broncos' practice squad in 2001. He became a starter in 2003.

Knight, 29, started eight seasons for the New Orleans Saints and Dolphins, mostly as a strong safety.

The Chiefs planned to have former New England cornerback Ty Law in for a visit on Monday.

link (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11094209.htm)

shaneo69
03-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Quote from Vermiel: “We know a lot about him because we've played a lot against him,” Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. “We know he's been on a defense that's been rated very high.

"We also know that (Chiefs wide receiver) Samie Parker beat him on a pump move when we played them late in the season."

I can see it now. Herndon's gonna see this quote in the paper, get pissed off, sign with someone else, and then rip the Chiefs in his press conference.

Then the resulting interview with Carl...

Q: Can you fill us in on how the deal with (CB) Kelly Herndon did not work out?

Carl: “I think some confidential personnel notes got out that really changed things dramatically for them. I don’t know where that came from or how it got into the media, but I am not going to substantiate it or not. But that certainly played a major role in his decision and his agent’s to go in a different direction. That is disappointing, but those things happen.”

Q: Were you willing to continue negotiating with him despite the fact that he got torched by Samie Parker last year on that TD?

PETERSON: “What do you know about Parker's TD?”

Q: That they said Herndon got beat by Parker on a pump fake for a TD last year.

PETERSON: “Who are they?”

Q: It was in the Kansas City Star.

PETERSON: “Did you ever hear our scouts or anybody from the Kansas City Chiefs say that?”

Q: Herndon said that you guys brought that up after you heard he was going to visit other teams.

PETERSON: “Specific to Kelly we were negotiating with him and then the information got out that is either true or not true. Certainly nobody from the Kansas City Chiefs gave that information out. I am certain our scouts and coaches never comment publicly on any player’s performance in a specific game. That changed the situation for them.”

siberian khatru
03-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Quote from Vermiel: “We know a lot about him because we've played a lot against him,” Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. “We know he's been on a defense that's been rated very high.

"We also know that (Chiefs wide receiver) Samie Parker beat him on a pump move when we played them late in the season."

I can see it now. Herndon's gonna see this quote in the paper, get pissed off, sign with someone else, and then rip the Chiefs in his press conference.

Then the resulting interview with Carl...

Q: Can you fill us in on how the deal with (CB) Kelly Herndon did not work out?

Carl: “I think some confidential personnel notes got out that really changed things dramatically for them. I don’t know where that came from or how it got into the media, but I am not going to substantiate it or not. But that certainly played a major role in his decision and his agent’s to go in a different direction. That is disappointing, but those things happen.”

Q: Were you willing to continue negotiating with him despite the fact that he got torched by Samie Parker last year on that TD?

PETERSON: “What do you know about Parker's TD?”

Q: That they said Herndon got beat by Parker on a pump fake for a TD last year.

PETERSON: “Who are they?”

Q: It was in the Kansas City Star.

PETERSON: “Did you ever hear our scouts or anybody from the Kansas City Chiefs say that?”

Q: Herndon said that you guys brought that up after you heard he was going to visit other teams.

PETERSON: “Specific to Kelly we were negotiating with him and then the information got out that is either true or not true. Certainly nobody from the Kansas City Chiefs gave that information out. I am certain our scouts and coaches never comment publicly on any player’s performance in a specific game. That changed the situation for them.”

ROFL

Chan93lx50
03-10-2005, 11:25 AM
If we pick up Herndon does that mean we stop looking for a CB

I dont know much about the guy, but it does not sound like a solution for a pass D.

TEX
03-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Thus the 2nd-3rd tier player interviews begin just like a few years ago. If we sign any of these clowns, we'll have to hear how "good" they are. ROFL

Rausch
03-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Thus the 2nd-3rd tier player interviews begin just like a few years ago. If we sign any of these clowns, we'll have to hear how "good" they are. ROFL

Knight isn't bad, isn't all that special either.

I really don't want Herndon but anything's better than Bartee...

BigChiefFan
03-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Herdnon is a crappy solution our woes. If Warfield is suspended, then we go into the season (as it is right now) relying on him as our number one CB or a ROOKIE. A 28 year old NICKLE CB is going to main the secondary? We should have set up more CBs in the beginning now we are backed into a corner.

Archie Bunker
03-10-2005, 11:42 AM
If we pick up Herndon does that mean we stop looking for a CB

I dont know much about the guy, but it does not sound like a solution for a pass D.

I would say if they sign Herndon they would be done at CB until the 15th pick in the draft.

Archie Bunker
03-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Herdnon is a crappy solution our woes. If Warfield is suspended, then we go into the season (as it is right now) relying on him as our number one CB or a ROOKIE. A 28 year old NICKLE CB is going to main the secondary? We should have set up more CBs in the beginning now we are backed into a corner.

I truely believe that they thought Rolle was signed sealed and delivered. Once that went south they were backed into a corner. I think Surtain will go to a team willing to give up a RB so that leaves Law and a bunch of 2nd tier guys. Herndon might be the best 2nd tier guy left.

C-Mac
03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Not that it applies with Herndon......
But dont forget that Peterson brought Brian Griese in a few years back.
Why?
As he freely admitted later, to drive up his cost to the Bronco's to resign him therefore inturn tying up more of their cap.........Briliant!

buddha
03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Herndon is a hall of famer compared to Bartee. He is clearly better than anything we have.

Cormac
03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Herndon is a hall of famer compared to Bartee. He is clearly better than anything we have.

Somehow I think Denver would eat up a Warfield for Herndon trade. But don't let objectivity get in the way.

C-Mac
03-10-2005, 12:20 PM

Someone from ESPN said he played better than Lynch last year....for whatever thats worth.

shaneo69
03-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Not that it applies with Herndon......
But dont forget that Peterson brought Brian Griese in a few years back.
Why?
As he freely admitted later, to drive up his cost to the Bronco's to resign him therefore inturn tying up more of their cap.........Briliant!

You're comparing their (former) starting QB to a CB that probably wouldn't even make their team this year if he stays in Denver. Besides Chump and Walls, they had 3 rookie CB's last year in Shoate, LaSeuer, and Roc Alexander.

I don't think putting the screws to Denver with an unwieldy contract offer is gonna work this time.

Mile High Mania
03-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Someone from ESPN said he played better than Lynch last year....for whatever thats worth.

You're talking about Kenoy Kennedy... not Herndon.

Regarding Herndon, I think he plays well, but again... the corners were burned often last year b/c the Denver pass rush sucked. So, fix that on any team and I think Herndon has good potential.

I'm not a fan of him leaving, then again, I don't think they should over pay to retain him.

whoman69
03-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Herndon would definitely be Rolle Lite.

philfree
03-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Knight, 29, started eight seasons for the New Orleans Saints and Dolphins, mostly as a strong safety.

SS huh? I figured we be looking to make a move at FS.

PhilFree :arrow:

tk13
03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Herndon was the starting corner, not the nickel, opposite Champ all season and had to play press coverage.... I really don't think he'd be a bad fit here.