PDA

View Full Version : James likely to be traded

oaklandhater
03-10-2005, 04:56 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi...james_0310.html

Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian told the agent for Edgerrin James on Wednesday that it was unlikely the club could offer the former University of Miami star a long-term contract, and the team may trade him.

The team has indicated to me that the best they can offer is the one-year deal," said agent Drew Rosenhaus. "We both agree that the trade is the best option for everyone."

The Colts named him their franchise player and have tendered James a one-year, $8.01 million contract.

James, an Immokalee native, privately told friends that he would love to play in Miami, where he lives. But publicly, James said it doesn't matter where he lands as long as he gets a long-term contract.

The Dolphins are not thought to have much interest in James because he is seeking a hefty signing bonus and coach Nick Saban is reluctant to part with draft picks in a trade.

A league source said Miami, which canceled the free-agent visit of New York Giants running back Ron Dayne, seems content to address the running back position in the draft. Top running backs Ronnie Brown, Carnell "Cadillac" Williams and Cedric Benson likely will be available to the Dolphins with the No. 2 pick.

But Polian told Rosenhaus that James might be acquired for something less than a first-round pick, so Miami is sure to at least inquire. Also, the Colts are thought to have interest in Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain, whom Miami has on the trading block, but aren't believed to be in a position to meet his contract demands.

"The team has said to me they are prepared to be very reasonable with the trade," Rosenhaus said. "Bill and I both are actively working to find a trade."

Kerberos
03-10-2005, 10:59 AM
I don't blame Miami for wanting to address the running back in the draft .... therer are some stud running backs in this years draft and you can bet your ass that Nick Saban is a good evaluator of college talent!

EJ won't go to Miami as some think of trade for surtain... I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Indy again for 1 more year.

Stinger
03-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't blame Miami for wanting to address the running back in the draft .... therer are some stud running backs in this years draft and you can bet your ass that Nick Saban is a good evaluator of college talent!

EJ won't go to Miami as some think of trade for surtain... I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Indy again for 1 more year.

I believe Tampa is making a run for him

ROYC75
03-10-2005, 11:19 AM
This is some encouraging news.........

A league source said Miami, which canceled the free-agent visit of New York Giants running back Ron Dayne, seems content to address the running back position in the draft. Top running backs Ronnie Brown, Carnell "Cadillac" Williams and Cedric Benson likely will be available to the Dolphins with the No. 2 pick.

Maybe a deal for Surtain can still be worked out.