PDA

View Full Version : Competition for Ty Law

KevB
03-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Looks like the Chiefs aren't the only ones willing to take a chance on Law (sorry if this is a repost):

The Steelers welcomed former New England cornerback Ty Law, an unrestricted free agent after being cut by the Patriots in late February, for a visit to their South Side practice facility on Thursday.
Law, 31, is a 10-year veteran, a four-time AFC Pro Bowl selection and a three-time Super Bowl champion.

He's also an Aliquippa High School graduate.

Law met extensively with Steelers head coach Bill Cowher and was walked to the parking lot by defensive backs coach Darren Perry and assistant defensive backs coach Ray Horton, who took Law to lunch.

Law walking anywhere was a significant development for a player who suffered a season-ending Lisfranc, or mid-foot fracture on Oct. 34 during a 34-20 loss to the Steelers at Heinz Field. He also had surgery to repair ligament damage in early January and is still wearing a soft cast as a part of his rehabilitation.

"You never get your hopes up in free agency, but I think the fact that he was here was very encouraging," said Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who also met briefly with Law.

The Steelers have released Chad Scott, who started at left cornerback in 2004 until suffering a torn quadriceps tendon on Oct. 17 at Dallas.

Willie Williams started at left cornerback after Scott's injury and has been re-signed by the Steelers out of unrestricted free agency.

"Willie left here as a starter, I assume he'll come back here as a starter, sure," Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert said this week. "But he'll have great competition from the two young guys (third-year pro Ike Taylor and second-year pro Ricardo Colclough)."

Signing Law would greatly alter that pecking order, although the Steelers would presumably have to get him at what amounts to a home-town discount to get him to play for his home-town team.

"I think a lot of teams could probably find a spot for him," LeBeau said.

Law was on the books to cost the Patriots $12.5 million against the salary cap in 2005, the last year of a seven-year, $51 million contract. He had been scheduled to earn $8.75 million in base salary plus a $1 million roster bonus.

Law had rejected a four-year, $26 million offer for an extension last year, calling it "a slap in the face."

The Patriots rejected a seven-year, $63 million counteroffer.

Law's agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, didn't return phone calls yesterday.

"I really can't say who, but a number of teams are interested," Kevin Poston told The Associated Press this week. "Ty's a top free agent. Everybody knows his situation. He'll be fine."

The Jets reportedly conducted talks with Law this week.

"This is bittersweet," Law had said upon being released by New England. "I always wanted to retire a Patriot. I've been around here for a lot of years. But unfortunately, a lot of players don't get a chance to finish their careers with their teams. I'm looking forward to what's ahead."

The Pats selected Law, 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, with the 23rd overall pick in the 1995 NFL Draft.

He played in 141 games with 133 starts for New England and recorded 648 career tackles, including four sacks, 36 interceptions (tying for the most in franchise history) for 582 yards and 142 passes defensed.

Law is New England's all-time leader with six career interception returns for touchdowns in the regular season. He also returned an interception for a touchdown in the first half of New England's victory over St. Louis in Super Bowl XXXVI.

In 2003, Law led the NFL with 23 passes defensed and tied for the team lead with six interceptions, earning him his third consecutive Pro Bowl berth.

Note: Kicker Jeff Reed signed a $7.5 million, five-year contract yesterday that includes a $1.5 million signing bonus to stay with the team.The deal was agreed to earlier this week.

Law in Pittsburgh (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...e/s_312267.html)

Kerberos
03-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Anyone know what the Steelers cap situation looks like right now ?

I could see Law wanting to play in his hometown for Dick LeBeau .... the man is a GREAT DC.

eazyb81
03-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Seriously, is anbody surprised? Here comes our new defensive studs in Bell, Sammy Knight, and #1 CB Kelly Herndon. :banghead:

ROYC75
03-11-2005, 10:14 AM
He wants alot of cash........ :shake:

Kerberos
03-11-2005, 10:22 AM
This is a F*cking double edge sword.

If the Chiefs sign him .. YOU KNOW he will probably reinjure his foot in traing camp and be out all year if not indefinately.

If the Chiefs DON'T sign him you know who ever does is going to get him to play at PRO BOWL caliber for the next 5+ years and end his carrer with record setting performances.

We can't f*cking win! :banghead:

DAMMIT CARL... :cuss:

Wichita Lineman
03-11-2005, 10:39 AM
I know I'm probably going to get blasted for this but I think Law would be another Rison. Why not save the cash and give a second rounder and get Surtain?

jynni
03-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Why not save the cash and give a second rounder and get Surtain?

Because it's not quite that simple. Surtain wants the cash and requires a pick. Maybe not quite as much as Law but still in the eight digits.

Chan93lx50
03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Since we picked up Knight, I would really like to have Surtain. I just think Miami is thinking of getting a RB when trading Surtain so I think that leaves us on the out looking in.

So If we end up with Law I wont be to disapointed, but if you want to see me pissed, is when we end up with nobody Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ROYC75
03-11-2005, 10:46 AM
I know I'm probably going to get blasted for this but I think Law would be another Rison. Why not save the cash and give a second rounder and get Surtain?

Bingo .......... :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2005, 10:52 AM

I don't know about Law being Rison, but I agree I'd prefer Surtain.

BigRedChief
03-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm happy either way. They could easily struture Law's contract that if the foot doesnt heal correctly or he doesn't play at a Pro Bowl level he doesn't get the big bucks. With King Carl's draft history in the 2nd round it would seem to me that a 2nd rounder for a Pro Bowler is a no brainer.

Archie Bunker
03-11-2005, 11:14 AM
IMO anyone who believe the Chiefs can get Law on the cheap is kidding themselves. There are plenty of suitor for his services; Steelers, Jets, Raiders to name a few. His agents are known for being hard to work with.

I hope I am wrong but he will cost more than Rolle ever would have and might want Lucas type signing bonus.

I hate the idea of trading the 2nd round pick because of all the holes that still need to be filled but it is the only option at this point.

kc rush
03-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Law met extensively with Steelers head coach Bill Cowher and was walked to the parking lot by defensive backs coach Darren Perry and assistant defensive backs coach Ray Horton, who took Law to lunch.

This is a little off, but this part of the story got me thinking; Does Gun send Giunta off on phantom errands whenever a D-back visits Arrowhead? I think it would be funny.

Gun: Uh, Peter, Ty Law is coming in today, and he wants to compare KC BBQ with Memphis, Texas, and Carolina BBQ to see if KC is where he wants to be.

Giunta: Yeah, that makes sense.

Gun: I need you to fly to each state and get samples of each.

Giunta: Well, I'm supposed to give Dick a foot rub this afternoon.

Gun: I know that you love dick, I mean coach, but having a player like Ty Law will really boost your career and will help you get a job when coach retires.

Giunta: But Dick said that I could be his pool boy when he retires.

Gun (typing furiously on the computer): Oh, here it is, a note from Dick and Carl saying that you should do this for the team. Isn't it amazing what you can find out about your job on the internet? Your plane takes off in an hour and I've taken the liberty of packing your bags for you. I'll try to stall Law for a few days, you just get me that BBQ.

Chief Henry
03-11-2005, 11:35 AM
This is a F*cking double edge sword.

If the Chiefs sign him .. YOU KNOW he will probably reinjure his foot in traing camp and be out all year if not indefinately.

If the Chiefs DON'T sign him you know who ever does is going to get him to play at PRO BOWL caliber for the next 5+ years and end his carrer with record setting performances.

We can't f*cking win! :banghead:

DAMMIT CARL... :cuss:

ROFL

whoman69
03-11-2005, 04:41 PM
At this point he is the last top option left. If we have to go with Herndon, its a long step down from where our goals are. Much as I don't like overpaying for talent, we have to make a good offer to this guy and find a way to make it work.

Chiefnj
03-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Some folks from Pitt are reporting that Law's foot is no good and he was asking Pitt for a contract that would have him on the PUP in 2005.

Hammock Parties
03-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Surtain is the best option, dammit! And he's got his ballmate here in Knight!

Chiefaholic
03-11-2005, 04:57 PM
IF Law is actually going to play this season, he's the equivelant to defense as Holmes is to offense. Get his arse in here, check out that foot, if he can play, give hem a contract that fair to both Law and the Chiefs. Perhaps a backloaded contract with a second tier bonus when the majority of our offensive stars are expected to retire anyway. Pay now and take the cap hit later......

htismaqe
03-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Some folks from Pitt are reporting that Law's foot is no good and he was asking Pitt for a contract that would have him on the PUP in 2005.

If that's the case, we're down to Surtain.

Chiefaholic
03-11-2005, 05:00 PM
GoChiefs...

A healthy Law is in an elite class of CB all by himself. Surtain is good, no doubt. But, Law is FAR better than Surtain if his foot will heal befor the start of the season.

ct
03-11-2005, 05:17 PM
repost

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112072

Chiefaholic
03-11-2005, 05:26 PM
repost

You are correct...... On page 2. Why does it matter? For those of us who don't live on the Planet, I appreciate the guy who started this topic.

HipHopper4Life
03-11-2005, 05:28 PM

There was some scuttlebutt on Fox radio that the Jets were thinking that he may end up having one more surgical procedure. I don't know if they were thinking he would need a pin or rod inserted or what. I'm not sure if they talked about the PUP list, but the impression the radio gave was that he was 50/50 on being able to play the first month of the regular season.

The speculation was that Law would probably be available after the June 1st cuts are made when some teams can clear extra cap space because he won't be able to pass any team physical till then.
Take it for what it's worth but the Jets have been looking for a corner that can play man to man on the strongside in their defense the way McCallister did for Coach Henderson in Baltimore.
Herm Edwards felt that the only two FA corners that could do that was Law and Charles Woodson. That they didn't give Law any more than a once over during his visit is kind of an indication that they have major doubts about his health IMO.

Kerberos
03-11-2005, 05:46 PM
repost

Actually cory the post you posted is a repost of this post. :thumb:

Any questions??

:D

Archie Bunker
03-11-2005, 06:25 PM

I heard that too. If it is true Miami has Carl Peterson by the nuts.

Hammock Parties
03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
GoChiefs...

A healthy Law is in an elite class of CB all by himself. Surtain is good, no doubt. But, Law is FAR better than Surtain if his foot will heal befor the start of the season.

I'm convinced Law's foot is going to be a major issue.

Rausch
03-11-2005, 06:32 PM
I heard that too. If it is true Miami has Carl Peterson by the nuts.

I'm not sure the Rams gave Carl his nuts back after 02. The Phins might have to drive up to St.Louie to get 'em...

Bowser
03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure the Rams gave Carl his nuts back after 93. The Phins might have to drive up to St.Louie to get 'em...

Uhhh, what happened in '93?

:shrug:

Rausch
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Uhhh, what happened in '93?

:shrug:

What do you mean?

:)

Bowser
03-11-2005, 06:36 PM
What do you mean?

:)

My bad!

Uhh, what happened in '02?

;)

Hammock Parties
03-11-2005, 06:38 PM
The Rams ass-raped us for Vermeil and TrINT.

Archie Bunker
03-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure the Rams gave Carl his nuts back after 02. The Phins might have to drive up to St.Louie to get 'em...

ROFL

Gaz
03-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Sign Wheelchair Guy before the Chiefs do something stupid.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks Law would limp just great in yellow and black.

Hammock Parties
03-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Sign Wheelchair Guy before the Chiefs do something stupid.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks Law would limp just great in yellow and black.

What is CP's official defense homer's reaction to the Bell and Knight signings?

Gaz
03-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I wanted Hartwell more than Bell, simply because of the injury concerns about Bell. The explanations are logical and reasonable, but when you look at his injury resumé, it has to give you pause. If Bell is healthy, it was a GREAT signing. IF Bell is healthy…

I am “enh” on Knight. I feel that we have lots of Safeties already on the roster and would rather have seen them put to use. I also feel that a large portion of the crappy Safety play last season was due to our miserable LB corps. Still, Knight is a solid Safety and as long as he does not preclude signing an OLB & CB [the glaring needs], then I am okay with it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still wants Hartwell & Dyson.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm convinced Law's foot is going to be a major issue.

foot injuries almost always seem to be major issues.

i was just hoping that law was more leg than foot by they way they initially described it.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Surtain is the best option, dammit! And he's got his ballmate here in Knight!

I agree.

I also think we need to add an OLB in FA, too, besides a CB this offseason. So after we trade for Surtain (hopefully), we need to get an OLB. Bell alone won't help the LB core. I don't trust the other guys talent we have at OLB right now, we need at least another one. Not to mention, Barber won't be back until week 6 at the earliest. Man, we're kind of screwed now that I think about it. Warfield missing the first 4 games, Barber being out (not that good anyway), Fujita not as good, etc, etc. The list goes on and on even if we bring in Superman this offseason, the defense won't be able to get fixed in one offseason I'm afraid.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Also not to mention...

Our Dline isn't as good as the Chiefs or anyone thinks. Hicks, Dalton, Browning, Allen. All I see as a consistent contributor is Allen.

It's going to take a miracle for this defense to get fixed in one offseason.

Hammock Parties
03-11-2005, 08:01 PM
You gotta have faith.... :)

Gaz
03-12-2005, 07:34 AM
It depends on what you mean by “fixed.”

If “fixed” is a top-10 Defense, then it will certainly take more than one off-season.

If “fixed” is an improved D that does not make every QB/WR combo look like Manning/Harrison, then one good off-season is sufficient.

xoxo~
Gaz
Pretty much in the second camp [although a top-10 D would be sweet].

Wile_E_Coyote
03-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Law visits Steelers, but why is mystery

Saturday, March 12, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ty Law spent part of Thursday visiting with Steelers coach Bill Cowher and some of his defensive assistants at their UPMC facility, but for what purpose?

Law, a former Pro Bowl cornerback with a debilitating fractured foot, is at least one month from becoming healthy enough to try to pass any NFL team's physical. He has a Lis Franc injury that only two NFL players are known to have had and returned to play successfully in the league again Duce Staley and Atlanta linebacker Keith Brooking.

Staley was 23 when he was injured, and Brooking was 24. Law is 31. His foot was broken Oct. 31 at Heinz Field, and that ended his season. The New England Patriots released him last month.

Law recently was able to discontinue using a special motor scooter to get around since the injury, but he's far from being able to work out for teams. Nevertheless, he will pay a visit Monday to the Kansas City Chiefs, who are desperate for a cornerback.

An Aliquippa native, Law's visit with the Steelers was an impromptu session that came two days after Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, said the team planned no player visits the rest of the week. The Steelers have not opened any discussion with Law's agent, Carl Poston.

The Steelers are looking for depth at cornerback. They return their starting cornerbacks from last season, Deshea Townsend and the recently re-signed Willie Williams. They also have Ricardo Colclough, their second-round pick in 2004, and Ike Taylor, a fourth-rounder in 2003. They released Chad Scott two weeks ago.

The Steelers have little salary-cap room left after signing wide receiver Cedrick Wilson Tuesday. Colbert, however, said that would not prevent them from signing someone if need be. They have reworked contracts of a handful of players to create the room they have, pushing their cap accounting into future years to do so.

Gaz
03-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Sign him quick, Steeelers.

Do not let this prize slip from your grasp.

xoxo~
Gaz
Br’er Gaz.

FRCDFED
03-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Warfield out 4 games.

Barber out at least 6 game.

This leaves us two short of last years starting defense and the season hasn't even began. I realize the potential upside to Law and I think he is one of the best corners to have played the game. The problem lies in that I don't want to sink any cap money into another player that won't be in the starting rotation come game 1. We now have three safeties getting paid like starters as well.

Too much dead money on our roster as it is. If we sign Law even to an incentive laden contract then CP will not go after any more FA CB's that can help us RIGHT NOW!

From this point forward the cap money needs to go to starters!

~bring on Surtain, A. Simmons, J. Sharper but say no to Law~

HipHopper4Life
03-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Law recently was able to discontinue using a special motor scooter to get around since the injury, but he's far from being able to work out for teams. Nevertheless, he will pay a visit Monday to the Kansas City Chiefs, who are desperate for a cornerback.

Desperate indeedy. Giving a contract to someone who is not able to workout and is not able to pass a physical is beyond desperate. It is downright stupid.