PDA

View Full Version : Sahara not as bad as I thought...

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 12:42 AM
I caught a screening of Sahara this week (it opens April 8)... let me first say I can't stand Matthew McConaughey (or however you spell that dolt's name)... I would almost rather be the loser in a game of soggy bicuit than watch a movie with him... almost.

Starring the dolt, and Penelope Cruz (who is way hot, but no WAY I'd dump Nicole Kidman for her), Sahara is a film adaptation of Clive Cussler's book, the film follows Dirk Pitt (McConaughey) and Eva Rojas (Cruz) as they try to locate the source of a pollutant that threatens the world's water.

Not bad... it's kind of a modern day Indiana Jones, but McConaughey is no Harrison Ford and director Breck Eisner is definitely no Steven Spielberg. But, it's a lot of fun... that seems to be a theme in my reviews lately, but isn't that what going to the theater is about? Most people don't go to think, they go to have fun, kick back with a bucket of popcorn and enjoy themselves. Well, this is one that you can do that with. Definitely a popcorn flick, it's coming out in April because, presumably, it doesn't want to contend with the better and sure-to-be more popular popcorn flicks of summer 2005.

One person of note is Steve Zahn, who plays Pitt's buddy and comic foil Al Giordino...

Enjoy!

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Penelope Cruz (who is way hot, but no WAY I'd dump Nicole Kidman for her), I'm sorry, but Nicole Kidman is Keystone light to Penelope Cruz's Guinness.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm sorry, but Nicole Kidman is Keystone light to Penelope Cruz's Guinness.
NO WAY, MAN! No way... :harumph: I'd pick Kidman every day and twice on Sunday over Cruz. Don't get me wrong, Cruz is hot, like I said, but not even in the same league as Kidman... I take that back, not even playing the same f***ing sport.

Archie Bunker
03-12-2005, 12:47 AM

I agree :thumb:

Miles
03-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Im really inerested in this one since im a big Cussler fan. Though I may have a hard time not being overly critical because of this. I always though his books had some great potential to be adapted to movies. Kind of like the Bond series.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 12:49 AM
:harumph:

not budging... you're both wrong.

:harumph:

Miles
03-12-2005, 12:51 AM
NO WAY, MAN! No way... :harumph: I'd pick Kidman every day and twice on Sunday over Cruz. Don't get me wrong, Cruz is hot, like I said, but not even in the same league as Kidman... I take that back, not even playing the same f***ing sport.

Definitly agree with you there. Kidman is easily one of the hottest actresses out there and has aged unbelievably well.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 12:56 AM
Definitly agree with you there. Kidman is easily one of the hottest actresses out there and has aged unbelievably well.
:thumb: I knew there was a reason I liked you... you're smart and obviously have good taste.

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:02 AM
I've never been a fan of Nicole. Which is quite odd considering my fascination with brit accents. It's probably because she's a redhead with some blonde tendencies. In terms of hair color, I mean.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:11 AM
I've never been a fan of Nicole. Which is quite odd considering my fascination with brit accents. It's probably because she's a redhead with some blonde tendencies. In terms of hair color, I mean.
Or maybe the fact that she has an Aussie accent? ROFL

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Or maybe the fact that she has an Aussie accent? Aussie, brit, martian, whatever, I go for non-american accents.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:13 AM
Aussie, brit, martian, whatever, I go for non-american accents.
Me, too, really, although I'd have to add a nice southern accent (not hick, southern, like Georgia)...

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:17 AM
Me, too, really, although I'd have to add a nice southern accent (not hick, southern, like Georgia)...Southern accents are a huge turn-off for me.

Miles
03-12-2005, 01:18 AM
Me, too, really, although I'd have to add a nice southern accent (not hick, southern, like Georgia)...

Damn im going to have to agree with you again. Big fan of the foreign accent and Im also partial to Texas accents (but not the small town / country). Though i have gotten a little to used to the southern ones by living down here.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Southern accents are a huge turn-off for me.
I like long walks in the park and sunsets.

SPchief
03-12-2005, 01:19 AM

GoChiefs Is that you??? :)

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:21 AM
GoChiefs Is that you??? :)
THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS! :cuss:

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:22 AM
THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!Or flirtin' words. I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Or flirtin' words. I'll leave that up to you to decide.
Nope... fightin'...

What'd I ever do to you? (in my best Steve Martin impersonation I can muster)

SPchief
03-12-2005, 01:24 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:25 AM
What'd I ever do to you? My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Michael Michigan
03-12-2005, 01:25 AM

Please....

http://movie-cast.com/salma.jpg

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Please....Oh, Salma's off the scale, no argument about that. Perhaps the most perfect body I've never gotten my hands on.

booger
03-12-2005, 01:29 AM

not bad at all, but she has nothing on Diane Lane in the aged well department.

Michael Michigan
03-12-2005, 01:30 AM
Oh, Salma's off the scale, no argument about that. Perhaps the most perfect body I've never gotten my hands on.

You mean you've never looked at Salma and grabbed...

Oh--you said her body...nevermind.

Frazod
03-12-2005, 01:30 AM
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

STOP SAYING THAT!

:D

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Please....

Gotta say, I'd still pick Nicole Kidman.

http://www.khattam.com/wallpapers/celebrities/nicole.jpg

http://www.nicole-kidman-pictures.com/nicole021.jpg

booger
03-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Please....

No doubt.

I even saw her in some stupid artsy flick called "Freada" or something.

Her nasty ass unibrow in that role sadly wasn't enough to turn me off.

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:34 AM
Gotta say, I'd still pick Nicole Kidman.You're obviously not human.

Miles
03-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Gotta say, I'd still pick Nicole Kidman.

I would as well and it is an easy choice for me too.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:36 AM
You're obviously not human.
Well, I'd definitely do Salma, but first off, I have a MAJOR thing for redheads, not to even mention the big boner I get from pale redheads.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:37 AM
I would as well and it is an easy choice for me too.
Are you adopted? Are your birth parents Paul and Gayle? Geez, we've gotta be long lost brothers or something.

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Well, I'd definitely do Salma, but first off, I have a MAJOR thing for redheads, not to even mention the big boner I get from pale redheads.Redheads don't do anything for me. I'm into brunettes, the darker the better.

Frazod
03-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Well, I'd definitely do Salma, but first off, I have a MAJOR thing for redheads, not to even mention the big boner I get from pale redheads.

If you haven't seen it, then you really need to watch Billy Bathgate.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:39 AM
If you haven't seen it, then you really need to watch Billy Bathgate.
Own it... if Nic's been naked in it, I own it...

Frazod
03-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Own it... if Nic's been naked in it, I own it...

I don't, but should. Good flick. Nice bush, too. :thumb:

Miles
03-12-2005, 01:43 AM

Mine isnt so much as her being a redhead, as it is the tall and classic beauty thing she has going for her. Of current mainstream actresses im having a hard time thinking of one that i find more attractive than Kidman.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Mine isnt so much as her being a readhead, as it is the tall and classic beauty thing she has going for her.
I'm with you on that, but being pale and redhead certainly don't hurt... also, I mis-typed "redhead" the way you spelled it four times before I got it right... ROFL

Frazod
03-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Oh, and Salma and Nicole may both be hot, but pre-death-camp-diet Jennifer Connelly blows them both away.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Oh, and Salma and Nicole may both be hot, but pre-death-camp-diet Jennifer Connelly blows them both away.
Like this?
http://www.jennifer-connelly-pictures.com/pic39.jpg

Sorry, NO ONE is better than Nicole... 'cept Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn. But they're dead.

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 01:56 AM
But they're dead.Some people are into that.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 01:57 AM
That's gross. just gross. Bad keg... %(/ Bad keg... %(/

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 02:19 AM
You're just figuring that out now?

Dartgod
03-12-2005, 06:47 AM
Nicole, Penelope, Salma...what the hell. I love ALL women that I have absolutely no chance of scoring with.

Gaz
03-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Sadly, “not as bad as I thought” is becoming a ringing endorsement at Rancho Gaz. It is a telling condemnation of the current state of movies, IMO. I find my TiVo hard drive and NetFlix queue filled with more and more classics.

Films that transport and captivate me are few and far between. The last one I can recall is "Solaris."

My main criterion now is: Was it fun?

xoxo~
Gaz
Used to walk uphill both ways to see quality films.

teedubya
03-12-2005, 07:20 AM

BRILLIANT!

Over-Head
03-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Im really inerested in this one since im a big Cussler fan. Though I may have a hard time not being overly critical because of this. I always though his books had some great potential to be adapted to movies. Kind of like the Bond series.

As am I Miles.
I've got Clives ENTIRE collection, and the newest "Trojan Odyssey" I got for x-mass, is just as good as the rest.
I hope they do the movie justice, as I know it's hard to do a book compleatly, but they did manage to do a fair job of "Raise the Titanic"

It's hard fro me to pick a fav Cussler book, but "Valhalla Rising" or "Pacific Vortex" come right to mind.

Another Author I really like is Jack Higgens. I strongly recmend "Thunder Point"

Over-Head
03-12-2005, 08:12 AM
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

This six fingered man. He haunts my dreams.

Or how about
"I promise on my dead fathers hart you help this man. Humperdink will suffer most horribly"

I LOVE THAT MOVIE :thumb: :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Sadly, “not as bad as I thought” is becoming a ringing endorsement at Rancho Gaz. It is a telling condemnation of the current state of movies, IMO. I find my TiVo hard drive and NetFlix queue filled with more and more classics.

Films that transport and captivate me are few and far between. The last one I can recall is "Solaris."

My main criterion now is: Was it fun?

xoxo~
Gaz
Used to walk uphill both ways to see quality films.

yeah, for the most part... fun.

Hammock Parties
03-12-2005, 09:24 AM
FMB has good taste.

Deberg_1990
03-12-2005, 10:47 AM
I have my reservations about this one. It was originally scheduled to come out last summer, but got delayed until now?? Not a good sign...