PDA

View Full Version : ADAM TEICHER-Knight can make a positive impact

C-Mac
03-12-2005, 06:22 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11115484.htm

Sat, Mar. 12, 2005
By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

There is much for the Chiefs to like in Sammy Knight's background: eight years an NFL starting safety, a Pro Bowl with New Orleans in 2001, 35 interceptions and four touchdowns.

Those accomplishments are only part of the reason the Chiefs signed Knight to a five-year contract worth almost $11 million. They also believe he will not only play strong safety better than Greg Wesley did last year, but also help the 10 other defenders play their positions better, too.

“He's the kind of player that positively influences and affects the other 10 guys that line up and play,'' Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. “He's a coach on the field. I called two of my former players who played for me with the Rams and are now with Miami. They swear by him. I talked to coaches who coached him. He transmits a professionalism to other players. He's a positive influence on their preparation. He makes sure adjustments are made correctly.

“For us to play better, it has to be more than just three guys playing their three positions better. It has to be more infectious through the other eight players.''

Whether Knight, 29, can help the Chiefs with that will be revealed starting in September. But the Chiefs were impressed with more than his steadiness (Knight hasn't missed a start in seven seasons) and his playmaking ability (the 35 interceptions are second highest in the NFL over the last eight years).

Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham was concerned the Chiefs suffered defensively last year in part because their safeties, Wesley and Jerome Woods, had become too timid. Timidity hasn't been Knight's problem.

“He is a physical performer,'' Cunningham said, “who isn't afraid to step up and hit somebody.''

Knight worked his way up the hard way, beginning in 1997 with the Saints as an free agent from Southern California. Knight became a starter early in his rookie season and never relinquished the job, not even after leaving as a free agent for Miami two years ago.

“He was the most productive player on the field,'' said Bill Kuharich, the Saints general manager at the time and now the Chiefs director of pro personnel. “His acquisition in Kansas City not only provides us with a player who has an acute awareness of how to play the game, but he also improves our defense by giving our team another proven leader.''

ExtremeChief
03-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Not too expensive, proven commodity, still have monay to get more FA's.... I like it.

AirForceChief
03-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Seems as if both FA signings have been about "leadership" and "intensity"...at least that's how they've been spun. Sadly, I can't think of who the current leaders are on our defense. Guess that says something...

CHIEF4EVER
03-12-2005, 07:01 AM
“For us to play better, it has to be more than just three guys playing their three positions better. It has to be more infectious through the other eight players.''

I like the sound of that in more than 1 way. A) It infers that he is dead set on getting another impact player and B) he is going to change the wussified mindset of the D as a whole. :thumb:

AirForceChief
03-12-2005, 07:08 AM
I like the sound of that in more than 1 way. A) It infers that he is dead set on getting another impact player and B) he is going to change the wussified mindset of the D as a whole. :thumb:

Contextually I couldn't tell whether DV was referring to Knight making the play of all three safties better (Knight, Wesley, Woods), or if he was alluding to another FA signing...me hopes it is the latter.

I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of the defensive mindset :banghead:

Pants
03-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Seems as if both FA signings have been about "leadership" and "intensity"...at least that's how they've been spun. Sadly, I can't think of who the current leaders are on our defense. Guess that says something...

Umm, Bell and Sammy? :shrug:

AirForceChief
03-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Umm, Bell and Sammy? :shrug:

Exactly. :shake:

Gaz
03-12-2005, 07:21 AM
“Impact” is the operative word.

Hit somebody, for goodness sake!

xoxo~
Gaz
Looking or a bit of the old ultra-violence.

Pants
03-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Exactly. :shake:

No, I think they are legit leaders. Especially Sammy, he will lay some poeple out.

AirForceChief
03-12-2005, 07:30 AM
No, I think they are legit leaders. Especially Sammy, he will lay some poeple out.

Don't get me wrong, I hope both prove to be invaluable leaders. It just takes me back that there arn't any holdovers from last year that you could point to and say the new signees have to earn their respect b/c they led last year's 'D'...The fact they could step in and be the defensive field generals (given MLB and S make the majority of D calls) from day one of their respective signings is just sad...shows you just how far Gunther has to go to make this unit respectable.

siberian khatru
03-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Our D lacked talent, fire and leadership. Pathetic. Is it any wonder why we sucked?

A healthy Ty Law would be the perfect addition to this new group. He brings all three necessary traits to the table.

Gaz
03-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Unfortunately, there are FIVE necessary traits.

He also needs to be able to run and needs to be in shape.

No to Law.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready to step up if the Chiefs need a slow, out of shape CB.

CHIEF4EVER
03-12-2005, 07:43 AM
I just want to see 11 fire eaters out there on D. Makes me no nevermind if they are FA's or Rookies. Just get 11 people who love to deliver the "schlobberknocker" every chance they get. I want to see Donk and Faider helmets flying up into the upper deck at least 10 times a game.

Chief Henry
03-12-2005, 08:17 AM
I just want to see 11 fire eaters out there on D. Makes me no nevermind if they are FA's or Rookies. Just get 11 people who love to deliver the "schlobberknocker" every chance they get. I want to see Donk and Faider helmets flying up into the upper deck at least 10 times a game.

REP

Bowser
03-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Wow. Gun pretty much came out and dropped the "wussy" label on both of his starting safeties. I wonder which one of those guys, if either, are going to be on the team the first week of the season........

Do you think we will see a full fledged Gaz meltdown if Ty Law is a Chief this year? :hmmm:

Gaz
03-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Naw...I am not a “meltdown” kinda guy. I am a cuddly, fuzzy-warm kinda guy.

I think it would be foolish to spend megabucks at CB. The NFL has cuffed them, so why pay $$$ for a guy who cannot DO anything? CBs will soon be overpaid Safeties, whose job it is to tackle the WR after the reception. And the NFL will be happy campers. Champ Bailey comes to mind [heh, I NEVER get tired of laughing at the Predominantly Orange over that fiasco].

You only compound the fiscal absurdity by throwing those bucks at a guy who has been in a wheelchair for months and will certainly not be in football shape [if he can even run at all] when the season starts.

However, if this happens, I will complain for a couple of posts and then cheer for my new starting CB.

Yah, I’m as fickle as they come.

xoxo~
Gaz
Bends with the winds and drifts with the tides.

Gaz
03-12-2005, 08:37 AM
I will, however, no doubt drop an “I told you so” or two when Law does not live up to his ŰberSavior billing.

I am just spiteful enough to do that.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has a couple of un-nice bones somewhere.

Bowser
03-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Heh.

I'm not exactly advocating a Ty Law lovefest. I agree with you that as a TEAM, we would be better suited to get Hartwell, Andre Dyson, and Kevin Johnson as our free agents. In round 1, you take corner. In round 2, take the best available OLBer or DE.

Sounds simple. I should really take a crack at GM some day...........

siberian khatru
03-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately, there are FIVE necessary traits.

He also needs to be able to run and needs to be in shape.

No to Law.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready to step up if the Chiefs need a slow, out of shape CB.

C'mon, Gaz, I said A HEALTHY Ty Law. :shake:

Gaz
03-12-2005, 08:47 AM
C'mon, Gaz, I said A HEALTHY Ty Law. :shake:

Even IF he is healthy [a hefty, IF, IMO], he has been sitting for months.

xoxo~
Gaz
Just not interested.

siberian khatru
03-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Even IF he is healthy [a hefty, IF, IMO], he has been sitting for months.

xoxo~
Gaz
Just not interested.

You know what I meant. Healthy means more than heartbeat and respiration. It means a Ty Law who can play like Ty Law.

I'm not going to debate the merits, because you made up your mind a long time ago. But don't insinuate that I'm not aware of the current risks and all the caveats. That's why I made the original qualification. :harumph:

patteeu
03-12-2005, 09:00 AM

Kendrell Bell may be intense, but he's not the kind of leader that Sammy Knight or Jeremiah Trotter are reported to be. I heard him interviewed on a national sports talk radio program the other day (after he had signed with the Chiefs) and when asked about what kind of leader he was, he said something to the effect of "I don't do a lot of talking, I like to let my actions on the field speak for me." I got the distinct impression that he wasn't going to be doing much motivational speaking in the huddle. Sammy Knight sounds quite different.

Gaz
I did not intend to insinuate anything. I merely disagree with your proposition.

I do not believe Ty Law will every play like "Ty Law" again.

Foot injuries are complicated, due to the huge number of bones in the foot and interconnections between them.

Law is getting up there [in football years]. He is not going to heal like he used to.

He has been sitting for months. He will not be in football shape. It is possible that an out-of-shape Law is better than most FA CBs, but he will not be the “Ty Law” folks are carrying around in their heads.

xoxo~
Gaz
Always willing to debate the merits.

wolfpack0735
i dont care if we get the highest paid cb or the best the nfl has ever had,if there is no pass rush the wr will get open.it all starts up front.

Gaz
03-12-2005, 09:07 AM
True, it all starts up front. That has never been more true than now, when the NFL is neutering CBs. CRUSH the pencil-neck. Even if you do not sack him, you have to break up his rhythm. If he gets the pass off, the rules are overwhelmingly in favor of the receiver.

It breaks my heart to acknowledge that Hicks will be the starting DE opposite Allen. I wish it were not so, but the Chiefs staff loves Hicks. Improvement at LB will allow more blitzing and either Sims or Siavii needs to live up to his hype. Improvement at LB should also allow our Safeties to improve, as they will not have to do the LBs’ jobs.

However, our Secondary was so awesomely bad that we must upgrade the CB position. We need a solid veteran CB [Dyson or Edwards or Surtain?] and a young CB at #15 [Rogers?].

xoxo~
Gaz
Bummed about Hicks, but learning to deal.

NaptownChief
03-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Knight is an excellent pick up....I wasn't excited about him when they were bringing him in for a look cause I thought Mullet Peterson would end up throwing major cash at a 30 year old safety....Getting him with just 2.7 in garanteed bonuses makes him a heck of a bargain. If he slows down due to age soon it wouldn't be much damage to the cap if they let him go after 2 years. This is one of the smarter, better value signings ole Mullet has pulled off in a long time.

NaptownChief
03-12-2005, 09:14 AM
I do not believe Ty Law will every play like "Ty Law" again.

Foot injuries are complicated, due to the huge number of bones in the foot and interconnections between them.

I certainly agree with this thought....I wouldn't touch Law with anything more than the kind of contract Sammy Knight got(2.7 million in bonus) which Law wants 5 times that....I would send him and his gimpy foot right out the front door at 1 Arrowhead empty handed.

trndobrd
03-12-2005, 09:26 AM
It's always interesting to see how players respond to 'career ending' injuries. Either the Priest Holmes record breaking response after the career ending hip injury, or the Kurt Warner post thumb injury meltdown.

Kris Kringle
03-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Those accomplishments are only part of the reason the Chiefs signed Knight to a five-year contract worth almost $11 million. They also believe he will not only play strong safety better than Greg Wesley did last year, but also help the 10 other defenders play their positions better, too. So does this mean that he's replacing Wesley? Most on this BB think Woods was a bigger problem than Wesley. Or will Knight take Wesley's spot, while Wesley will move to Woods' spot. Should Wesley or Woods be kept as an expensive backup? Or should one of them be released allowing for Harts and Pile to be the backups?

patteeu
03-12-2005, 09:40 AM
So does this mean that he's replacing Wesley? Most on this BB think Woods was a bigger problem than Wesley. Or will Knight take Wesley's spot, while Wesley will move to Woods' spot. Should Wesley or Woods be kept as an expensive backup? Or should one of them be released allowing for Harts and Pile to be the backups?

In Teicher's other article (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112104), he reports that Knight will play SS and Woods and Wesley will compete for the FS starting job. All your other questions are addressed in that article.

FRCDFED
03-12-2005, 10:09 AM
With the addition of Knight it would only make more sense to pursue Surtain over Law. Surtain and Knight would already be familiar with each other and could expedite bringing the defense together as a team.

It is a shame that we don't have a 3rd rounder to counter offer with in a year that we need it the most. In the end it seems to make sense just to come off of the 2nd rounder.

It would also be nice if we were able to land LB's A. Simmons or J. Sharper. This would ensure we get at least ONE solid OLB.

Surtain and Sharper would be my choices if it were at all possible under the cap!

chiefmachine
03-12-2005, 10:39 AM
I thought all along that the chiefs strength was thier tandom at safety. the problem i've seen is the lack of a pass rush and the cover corner positions.

C-Mac
03-12-2005, 11:54 AM
I wonder if Westley is offended by the "timid" comment, dont think I ever viewed Westley as someone that was timid, he can lay the wood. Perhaps he meant being hesitatant, but not timid.

whoman69
03-12-2005, 02:14 PM
True, it all starts up front. That has never been more true than now, when the NFL is neutering CBs. CRUSH the pencil-neck. Even if you do not sack him, you have to break up his rhythm. If he gets the pass off, the rules are overwhelmingly in favor of the receiver.
It breaks my heart to acknowledge that Hicks will be the starting DE opposite Allen. I wish it were not so, but the Chiefs staff loves Hicks. Improvement at LB will allow more blitzing and either Sims or Siavii needs to live up to his hype. Improvement at LB should also allow our Safeties to improve, as they will not have to do the LBs’ jobs.
However, our Secondary was so awesomely bad that we must upgrade the CB position. We need a solid veteran CB [Dyson or Edwards or Surtain?] and a young CB at #15 [Rogers?].
xoxo~
Gaz
Bummed about Hicks, but learning to deal.

The NFL goes in cycles. When QBs start getting crushed again, they will loosen the rules of holding again for both the line and the corners. They still let some CBs with a rep hit past the five yard mark. Law would be one of those guys, but I just can't see at this point how they could determine if he's even going to be ready to play.

Brock
03-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I wonder if Westley is offended by the "timid" comment, dont think I ever viewed Westley as someone that was timid, he can lay the wood. Perhaps he meant being hesitatant, but not timid.

When was the last time he did it?

Wallcrawler
03-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Kendrell Bell may be intense, but he's not the kind of leader that Sammy Knight or Jeremiah Trotter are reported to be. I heard him interviewed on a national sports talk radio program the other day (after he had signed with the Chiefs) and when asked about what kind of leader he was, he said something to the effect of "I don't do a lot of talking, I like to let my actions on the field speak for me." I got the distinct impression that he wasn't going to be doing much motivational speaking in the huddle. Sammy Knight sounds quite different.

Yeah, but you know that talk is cheap.

Guys who get out there and lay it on the line and lead by example are just as good in the leadership department as a fiery speaker in the huddle is.

Besides, if Sammy knight is the talker, let him fire up the huddle, and when these guys go out and layeth the smacketh down on the first ball carrier they see and he's swallowing half of his teeth, I think you will see a big change in how the D plays.

Before the signings, Hicks and Woods were the team leaders. 2 guys who clearly could be released with no ill effects.

In my opinion the best leader on the team recently was Mazlowski. He was a heart/effort guy who made up for his athletic shortcomings by using his head. When we lost him, our D has never been the same.

I think these two guys coming in, Bell and Knight, will get the rest of the D to sack up and hit someone. At least I hope so.

TRR
03-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Both Wesley and Woods have missed a bit of time over the last several seasons. It gets old seeing Harts and Pile start at the safety spot with so much money invested in W&W. Knight just doesn't get hurt. He is a solid player with solid skills that shows up and plays every game. If W&W can't accept that their play along with their injuries doesn't warrant a new addition to the safety position, then they can both walk.

FWIW, my money is on Greg Wesley to take the FS spot. Woods will either be traded or released after June 1st.