PDA

View Full Version : I suck at BBQ!

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Admittedly, I'm a pretty good cook. (Even made my own organic dog biscuits today that my friends seemed to be the most impressed with)...

Anyways- I have one freakin' problem- and it is ALWAYS with my ribs- nothing else. Just me BBQ'ing ribs. I always seem to freakin' make them too dry or burn them or both.

I tried a new recipe for some Japenese style BBQ marinade. The marinade was exceptional, but the recipe said to bake the ribs for an hour and a half- then marinade the ribs in room temperature for an hour and then grill the ribs for a HALF HOUR. You don't grill marinated meat for a HALF HOUR? Do you? Anyways, they of course burned because I was drinking and chatting with peeps....

Somebody Puhleeeeeeezeee tell me how to grill ribs without screwing it up every time!!! I beg of thee....

unlurking
03-12-2005, 08:17 PM
When u baked 'em, did u leave any water/beer/etc. in the oven?

As far as grilling, I'm thinkin' 5 - 7 minutes a side at most.

JimNasium
03-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Ribs and direct heat don't mix in my opinion.

BigVE
03-12-2005, 08:38 PM
What type of ribs? Were you using a gas/charcoal cooker, a smoker, or the oven? Makes a world of difference. AND, who the HECK would RUIN a perfectly good slab or ribs by making some JAPPED up recipe? THAT was your problem I think. ;)

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 08:51 PM
What type of ribs? Were you using a gas/charcoal cooker, a smoker, or the oven? Makes a world of difference. AND, who the HECK would RUIN a perfectly good slab or ribs by making some JAPPED up recipe? THAT was your problem I think. ;)

As I mentioned, I baked them in aluminum foil for an hour and a half, and then grilled them over a gas grill until they burned.... :banghead:

Athis
03-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Your problem is cooking them over the coals. You have to put the coals off to either side, that is called cooking indirect. That way the ribs are not over the coals and won't burn. Throw some chips over the coals to add some smoke. They come out perfect everytime.

gblowfish
03-12-2005, 09:10 PM
1. Get to Kansas City.
2. Go to ATM. Take out $40
3. Go to Arthur Bryants or Gates.
4. Order a slab, heavy on the sauce.
5. Get a pitcher of beer and a roll of paper towels.
6. Eat and drink till you faint from happiness.

Phobia
03-12-2005, 09:11 PM
As I mentioned, I baked them in aluminum foil for an hour and a half, and then grilled them over a gas grill until they burned.... :banghead:

Don't cook them on a gas grill.

If you must cook them on a gas grill, turn the heat as far down as possible. Only use one burner if possible. Bake them until they're nearly done (as you've already done) and finish them on the grill. Slather your favorite BBQ sauce on and cook at around 225 degrees for about 45 minutes.

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 09:14 PM
1. Get to Kansas City.
2. Go to ATM. Take out $40
3. Go to Arthur Bryants or Gates.
4. Order a slab, heavy on the sauce.
5. Get a pitcher of beer and a roll of paper towels.
6. Eat and drink till you faint from happiness.

Geez, that'll cost me a fortune...I can just order them online and have them shipped in no time.

The fact of the matter is- I want to learn how to grill my own ribs to perfection. You have ANY idea how embarrassing it is not to grill great ribs when you're from KC?

My real problem is- growing up in KC- everyone else I knew did the grilling. Now I'm in Denver, and I'm trying to grill ribs like I had back home....it's not making me look good in Denver dammit...

|Zach|
03-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Ribs and direct heat don't mix in my opinion.
Same goes for Zach.

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Don't cook them on a gas grill.

If you must cook them on a gas grill, turn the heat as far down as possible. Only use one burner if possible. Bake them until they're nearly done (as you've already done) and finish them on the grill. Slather your favorite BBQ sauce on and cook at around 225 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Ahhhhh, thanks...I did do that- BUT it was already too late. I unfortunately grilled them over medium heat instead of turning it down to the lowest setting...

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Phil's advice is sound.

Nzoner
03-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Phil's advice is sound.

I will never doubt his culinary advice,he and pink were kind enough to have the mrs and I over last night and the dude smoked the BEST burger I have ever had in my life.

Thanks Phil,wished I'd brought one home about right now.

KCWolfman
03-12-2005, 09:41 PM
I suck at BBQ!

Dur! You do live in denver, it is expected.

TheNextStep
03-12-2005, 09:44 PM
When I saw the thread title "I suck at BBQ!" I just figured that you'd foolishly accepted an invitation over to Phil's house for smoked pork chops...

Phobia
03-12-2005, 09:46 PM
When I saw the thread title "I suck at BBQ!" I just figured that you'd foolishly accepted an invitation over to Phil's house for smoked pork chops...

Stubbs marinade? My smoke? How can you go wrong?

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Dur! You do live in denver, it is expected.

But, I grew up in KC

TheNextStep
03-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Stubbs marinade? My smoke? How can you go wrong?
Wasn't it a few days ago that you said something like, "you'd suck my dick for one of these smoked pork chops that I just pulled off the grill?"

And now, days later, I see a headline that says, "I suck at BBQ."

I just figured he took you up on your offer, that's all.

Phobia
03-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Wasn't it a few days ago that you said something like, "you'd suck my dick for one of these smoked pork chops that I just pulled off the grill?"

And now, days later, I see a headline that says, "I suck at BBQ."

I just figured he took you up on your offer, that's all.

Oh. That's funny. I had forgotten about that.

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Phil- just one question to you?

Should I always bake the ribs first before putting them on the grill OR is it good to just grill them in aluminum foil for an hour or so? What's your best method?

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 10:09 PM

Should I always bake the ribs first before putting them on the grill OR is it good to just grill them in aluminum foil for an hour or so? What's your best method?

That's actually three questions....

TheNextStep
03-12-2005, 10:09 PM

Set aside 6-8 hours and smoke the damned things. That's the best way.

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 10:10 PM

I only have a gas grill though....

Nzoner
03-12-2005, 10:12 PM

Yep,great ribs are a s-l-o-w process but damn well worth it.

Phobia
03-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Since you have a gas grill, you should only grill them in the last phase, which is essentially carmelizing the sauce. If you had the proper equipment, you could smoke them - but since you don't....

FWIW, I'm not a rib master (yet). I'm a great cook and becoming a good smoker, but I don't have the experience to be giving out quality advice on smoking ribs. I understand the process and can pass on concepts to you, but I'm underqualified despite Nzoner's high praise for my work. Ribs and briskett are 2 of the most difficult things to get right.

TheNextStep
03-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Even with a gas grill, you can do your ribs over indirect heat, provided that you have the ability to have two different heat settings on different areas of your grill (i.e. - a knob that controls the heat on the left side, another for the right side).

Turn the left side to low, get a smoker box (at any grill store), and set your ribs on the second rack over on the right side.

I wouldn't do them that way. I'm just saying that it CAN be done. :)

Nzoner
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
but I'm underqualified despite Nzoner's high praise for my work.

Let me rephrase my early statement then,I will never doubt Phil's burger advice.

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Since you have a gas grill, you should only grill them in the last phase, which is essentially carmelizing the sauce. If you had the proper equipment, you could smoke them - but since you don't....

Kewl...I think that's the advice I'm looking for. Once I understand the differences in the grilling process, per se, I have a gas grill- I'll commit to baking them first, and then grilling them for a few minutes. Or just leave the damn things in the oven- where I seem to cook best.

CosmicPal
03-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Well guys...

It's hard to believe I was grilling a few hours ago and NOW IT'S SNOWING LIKE A BEETCH!

I'm off to another party tonight...thank goodness I'm not driving. Stay warm...

keg in kc
03-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Careful in that snow.

bdbme
03-12-2005, 11:24 PM
How do those organic dog biscuits taste anyways?

Fat Elvis
03-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Eh, just blame it on the altitude....

J Diddy
03-13-2005, 01:20 AM
How do those organic dog biscuits taste anyways?

???????:hmmm:

htismaqe
03-13-2005, 10:26 AM
indirect heat + at least 6 hours cooking = succulent ribs

mlyonsd
03-13-2005, 10:51 AM
I smoke mine for about 4 hours, then wrap them in foil and put them back in the smoker for another 2. Wrapping them in foil steams them, making them want to fall off the bone. At the end I lather them up with BBQ sauce and throw them on the grill just long enough to caramelize the sauce.

KCHawg
03-13-2005, 11:29 AM
But, I grew up in KC

We deny you ever set foot here as soon as you moved to Denver.

SBK
03-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Geez, that'll cost me a fortune...I can just order them online and have them shipped in no time.

The fact of the matter is- I want to learn how to grill my own ribs to perfection. You have ANY idea how embarrassing it is not to grill great ribs when you're from KC?

My real problem is- growing up in KC- everyone else I knew did the grilling. Now I'm in Denver, and I'm trying to grill ribs like I had back home....it's not making me look good in Denver dammit...

Here's what I do. Seems to work for me. I prep my ribs the night before with a good rub, I used to make my own, but now I use rubs from good bbq places, and match the rub with the sauce later. Anywho, the next morning I put the ribs on the grill with indirect heat, and some hickory chunks. Ribs go meat side up. I have a mop sauce that I like, it's in the bbq bible book. (possum trot mop sauce) I use that sparingly during the day. Back to the ribs, let them cook until the meat is pulling back of the ends of the bones, that means they're done. You'll have to add charcoal and hickory a few times during the day, but that's easy. Once they are done I take them, pour some sauce on them and wrap them up in foil. Usually 1 rack in each pouch. Then I turn the oven on to about 150 or 200 whichever is the lowest setting and let the ribs sit in there for a few more hours. When ready to eat, unwrap and enjoy. Now, the meat falls of the bone, and tons and tons of flavor. :thumb:

JimNasium
03-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Here's what I do. Seems to work for me. I prep my ribs the night before with a good rub, I used to make my own, but now I use rubs from good bbq places, and match the rub with the sauce later. Anywho, the next morning I put the ribs on the grill with indirect heat, and some hickory chunks. Ribs go meat side up. I have a mop sauce that I like, it's in the bbq bible book. (possum trot mop sauce) I use that sparingly during the day. Back to the ribs, let them cook until the meat is pulling back of the ends of the bones, that means they're done. You'll have to add charcoal and hickory a few times during the day, but that's easy. Once they are done I take them, pour some sauce on them and wrap them up in foil. Usually 1 rack in each pouch. Then I turn the oven on to about 150 or 200 whichever is the lowest setting and let the ribs sit in there for a few more hours. When ready to eat, unwrap and enjoy. Now, the meat falls of the bone, and tons and tons of flavor. :thumb:
That's similar to my method as well. A traditional grill and ribs do not work well together. FWIW, you can also make great ribs in the oven. They just lack the smoked flavor.

R&GHomer
03-13-2005, 01:40 PM

Almost exactly what I do. Except I wrap them in foil and keep them in the smoker. Brisket is the one I have trouble with. Seems like I'll screw up 1 out of 5 and over cook it.

dave0320
03-13-2005, 03:19 PM
The only way to do ribs is smoke them at 225 degrees for 4 hours. Don't take the lid off. If you are really into BBQ Smoking, check out www.cookshack.com :thumb: