PDA

View Full Version : Kiper's top-25 list, March 4th.

ClearmontChief
03-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I know this isn't a Mock Draft, but Kipers got Antrel Rolle at #17 overall. That be nice if he was on the board at 15.

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html

Player Class Pos. School Stock
1. Ronnie Brown Sr. RB Auburn
A complete, explosive back who does it all.
2. Cedric Benson Sr. RB Texas
Four straight years with over 1,000 yards.
3. Braylon Edwards Sr. WR Michigan
Has the size, speed and athleticism to dominate.
4. Mike Williams Jr. WR USC
Terrific combo of size and strength.
5. Alex Smith Jr. QB Utah
Intelligent QB with good athletic ability
6. Adam Jones Jr. CB W. Va.
"Pac-Man" eats up receivers and ballcarriers.
7. Aaron Rodgers Jr. QB California
A smart, accurate, athletic passer.
8. Carnell Williams Sr. RB Auburn
Very creative and deceptively strong runner.
9. Derrick Johnson Sr. LB Texas
Strength, speed and a nose for the ball.
10. Dan Cody Sr. DE Oklahoma
A fiery, intense end who came on strong.
11. Shawne Merriman Jr. OLB Maryland
Workout warrior with a 41½-inch vertical.
12. Roddy White Sr. WR UAB
Elite size/speed combo at 6-1, 205 and 4.42
13. Alex Barron Sr. OT Fla. St.
6-6, 320 and an excellent pass blocker.
14. Marcus Spears Sr. DE LSU
Had 17 tackles for loss and nine sacks in '04.
15. Travis Johnson Sr. DT Fla. St.
Vastly improved and a dominant performer.
16. Troy Williamson Jr. WR So. Car.
The fastest receiver in the draft.
17. Antrel Rolle Sr. CB Miami
Great in coverage and a good tackler.
18. Erasmus James Sr. DE Wisconsin
Outstanding pass rusher who can play the run.
19. Heath Miller Jr. TE Virginia
Great receiver, willing blocker.
20. Khalif Barnes Sr. OT Washington
Quick feet, good balance in pass protection.
21. Jammal Brown Sr. OT Oklahoma
Equally adept at pass and run blocking.
22. Matt Roth Sr. DE Iowa
An outstanding natural pass rusher.
23. Carlos Rogers Sr. DB Auburn
Auburn's best defensive player this season.
24. Shaun Cody Sr. DL USC
Vesrsatile performer at DT or DE.
25. Fabian Washington Jr. CB Nebraska
Clocked an amazing 4.28 in the 40

keg in kc
03-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I just don't get the lack of love for Marlin Jackson. Which is fine; might increase our odds of getting him later.

BigChiefFan
03-14-2005, 02:06 PM
I like that Antrel Rolle COULD be there at 15.

InChiefsHeaven
03-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Fabian Washington from Nebraska...entering the draft early...he is fast as anything, but I don't understand why he is a first rounder...I think Barrett Ruud from Nebraska is closer to a 1st round talent as a LB...but what do I know...

Mark M
03-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Wow ... there's not a lot of LBs in that list, are there?

Rolle would make me a happy man, although if KC trades for Surtain, don't be surprised if they move down to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

MM
~~:arrow:

milkman
03-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Wow ... there's not a lot of LBs in that list, are there?

Rolle would make me a happy man, although if KC trades for Surtain, don't be surprised if they move down to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

MM
~~:arrow:
Which would make Marlin Jackson a draft option.

Does he have late 1st round value, or is more a 2nd round type player?

Mark M
03-14-2005, 02:16 PM

Does he have late 1st round value, or is more a 2nd round type player?

I think a late 1st wouldn't be unheard of. although early second would be better. Just not sure. :shrug:

besides, he played some safety in college, so I'm almost 100% sure KC will draft him to play CB.

MM
~~;)

keg in kc
03-14-2005, 02:16 PM

Does he have late 1st round value, or is more a 2nd round type player?Every mock I've seen has him as early second round. Which I think is a joke, but I'm a Michigan homer. I wouldn't have any trouble taking him in the first, even at 15. A trade down scenario would work if his perceived value matches his real value (although the "experts" not liking him doesn't necessarily mean the teams don't...).

I think the issue is that he ran a poor 40 at the combine, but I'm not sure.

Chiefnj
03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
I just don't get the lack of love for Marlin Jackson. Which is fine; might increase our odds of getting him later.

I don't get it either. I doubt the Pats would pass him up. He's just their type of player - not flashy, but solid fundamentals and smart.

keg in kc
03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
besides, he played some safety in college, so I'm almost 100% sure KC will draft him to play CB.He was out of position at free safety, he's a much better corner. So he doesn't fit our "classic mold".

BigChiefFan
03-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I'd take Rolle in the first and Blackstock in the 2nd round.

BigChiefFan
03-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Every mock I've seen has him as early second round. Which I think is a joke, but I'm a Michigan homer. I wouldn't have any trouble taking him in the first, even at 15. A trade down scenario would work if his perceived value matches his real value (although the "experts" not liking him doesn't necessarily mean the teams don't...).

I think the issue is that he ran a poor 40 at the combine, but I'm not sure.
I think Jackson goes in the first round, just because Kiper doesn't think so, doesn't make it so. I think Jackson could go anywhere after 20.

chief husker
03-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Fabian Washington from Nebraska...entering the draft early...he is fast as anything, but I don't understand why he is a first rounder...I think Barrett Ruud from Nebraska is closer to a 1st round talent as a LB...but what do I know...

Four year starter. Nobody even threw near him the last two years. Didn't need to :banghead: I didn't know he had that kind of speed.

milkman
03-14-2005, 02:23 PM
I just read a couple of draft reports on him, and they have him as a late 1st/early 2nd projection.

The thing that intrigues me is the statement in both that he is physical, and can create problems at the LOS for receivers. with his jam.

Add the fact that he measures in at 6'1" and 198 lbs, sounds like a prototypical Gun corner to me.

keg in kc
03-14-2005, 02:29 PM
He is. He's probably as polished, in terms of technique, as any corner in the draft, as well. I think he could step in from day 1 as a nickel, and probably be ready to start by late in the year. There's some off-field shit from '03, but I don't hear that being mentioned as a reason why teams would be tepid (although it could be). I just remember there be some (disappointed) surprise at his 40 time in Indy.

milkman
03-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Those off field problems were mentioned in passing in the reports.

But kids make mistakes, and they only mentioned one incident, which they didn't elaborate on.

Sounds like a guy worth taking a chance on.

I like what I read about him better than PacMan's scouting reports.

keg in kc
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
It's not like he was a 4 year starter in the big 10, with three of those years at corner...

I've said it before, and I'll acknowledge again that I'm a complete homer when I say this, but I think he'll be the best corner out of this draft when all is said and done.

Spicy McHaggis
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
He is. He's probably as polished, in terms of technique, as any corner in the draft, as well. I think he could step in from day 1 as a nickel, and probably be ready to start by late in the year. There's some off-field shit from '03, but I don't hear that being mentioned as a reason why teams would be tepid (although it could be). I just remember there be some (disappointed) surprise at his 40 time in Indy.

Yeah didn't he get in a fight or something? He seems like he's got good ability but he's not someone I would want with our pick. IMO he falls to the bottom of the first.

htismaqe
03-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah didn't he get in a fight or something? He seems like he's got good ability but he's not someone I would want with our pick. IMO he falls to the bottom of the first.

He hit someone in the face/head with a beer bottle, IIRC.

keg in kc
03-14-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't remember the details, but I could look it up later. It was something pretty serious as I recall. Nearly got a felony count, IIRC.

I'd agree with low first round, that's why I mentioned the trade down idea.

milkman
03-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Spicey McHaggis.

Sounds like the name of a nasty Irish stripper. :(

Chiefnj
03-14-2005, 02:46 PM
"Michigan defensive back Marlin Jackson will not play in the Wolverines’ season opener due to a “disciplinary action” taken by head coach Lloyd Carr. Jackson, the preseason Big Ten defensive player of the year, pleaded guilty last week to aggravated assault in a plea agreement with Washtenaw County prosecutors. Aggravated assault is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine. Sentencing in Jackson’s case is set for Sept. 11.

The charges stem from a fight Jackson was involved in during a June 1 house party. Shanin Farokhrny, also an MU student, has accused Jackson of hitting him in the right eye with a bottle."

My 1st round preference right now is Pollack, Johnson, Rolle, Jackson and then Rogers.

I don't understand the infatuation with Adam Jones.

Spicy McHaggis
03-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Spicey McHaggis.

Sounds like the name of a nasty Irish stripper. :(

ROFL Actually got it from the Dropkick Murphy's song of the same name. I'm getting in the spirit for St. Pat's. I may keep it if it grows on me.

milkman
03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
ROFL Actually got it from the Dropkick Murphy's song of the same name. I'm getting in the spirit for St. Pat's. I may keep it if it grows on me.

I'm not a music fan.
I only listen to music when I'm in my car on Sunday morning, and the sports talk radio stations are boring me to tears with fishing talk.

And then it's only oldies.

Point being, I don't know the song.

And who were you before?

Spicy McHaggis
03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
My 1st round preference right now is Pollack, Johnson, Rolle, Jackson and then Rogers.

I don't understand the infatuation with Adam Jones.

I would go Johnson, Rolle, Pollack for my top 3. I think a lot of people see Pac-Man as the next Antoine Winfield with more playmaking ability.

whoman69
03-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Kiper puts too much emphasis on the combines. Athletic ability pushes people higher on the board. He doesn't take into effect the way that teams covet players. Nobody expects Ronnie Brown to be the first pick of the draft, so why does Mel have him at #1? Brown was part of a power runner/speed runner tandem at Auburn. Teams are going to take into account that he has not been a workhorse back. Most are not going to have him even as the top back in the draft.

NaptownChief
03-14-2005, 03:03 PM
"16. Troy Williamson Jr. WR So. Car.
The fastest receiver in the draft"

Uhhh, yeah if you don't count Courtney Roby of Indiana and Jerome Mathis of Hampton...But don't let facts get in the way of a good blurb.