PDA

View Full Version : Beware the Ides of March!

Braincase
03-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Etu, Brute?

Happy March 15th.

Bob Dole
03-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Bob Dole doesn't understand why the confusion continues.

The correct quote is "Beware the PIES of March."

Braincase
03-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Beware the RIDES of March!

morphius
03-15-2005, 08:57 AM
You are both fools, its beware the TIDES of March!

http://www.shoa.cl/servicios/tsunami/imagen/gigante.jpg

Hammock Parties
03-15-2005, 09:00 AM
No no no no no.

Beware the HIDES of march:

http://www.arbutusbay.ca/farm/images/TN_hides.JPG

Bob Dole
03-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Mindless sheep, all of you!

Thanks to mistranslation and that now-famous literary hack, William Shakespeare, "Beware the Ides of March!" has become one of history's most miquoted lines.

Julius Caesar picked up a traveling concubine, Greta (pronounced Debbie), after completing his conquest of Gaul in 51BC. Greta accompanied him on his conquests of Brundisium and on to his landing in Alexandria in 48BC. At that point, Greta became jealous of Caesar's trysts with Cleopatra and became quite irritated by Caesar's repeated command, "Get your bitch-ass back in the kitchen and bake me some pie!" Evidence of her companionship and role in Caesar's life is evidenced by Caesar's other mistranslated quote after conquering Pontus in 47BC, when he uttered, "Veni, vidi, vici" or "I came, I saw, I ate pie."

As Caesar swept through Asia Minor to settle the disturbances there on his return trip to Rome, Greta became increasingly irritated. Caesar, never much in touch with the feelings of those around him, was oblivious to the developing problem. After Caesar's return to Rome, a local soothsayer named Tom Condon (pronounced Dick) caught the attention of Caesar at an after-work mixer, and passed along the warning, "Beware the pies of March." Caesar dismissed the warning as the ramblings of a lunatic and had Condon put to death.

Emboldened, the victorious and now unchallenged Caesar celebrated his four splendid triumphs (over the Gauls, Egyptians, Pharnaces and Juba) by demanding an ever-increasing quantity of Greta's delicious pie. Finally, Greta cracked under the years of pressure and in cooperation with some 60 conspirators, led by Marcus Junius Brutus, she served Caesar a fig pie laced with poison on March 15 of 44BC.

Source (www.richscanlonshistoryguide.com)

HC_Chief
03-15-2005, 09:08 AM
hehehe :D

teedubya
03-15-2005, 09:28 AM
no beware... Motley Crue is in town.

Fat Elvis
03-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Beware the Ids of March

http://www.123people.net/f/freud-sigmund/freud-sigmund.jpg

Braincase
03-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Maybe they really meant...

Beware the Hydes of March - Frederick March, that is...

Bob Dole
03-15-2005, 10:09 AM
As an aside, the "Pies of March" historical account lends some validity to the popular theory that the character of South Park's Eric Cartman is loosely based on Julius Caesar.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Beware the RIDES of March!

Are you certain it wasn't the "brides" of March?

Rain Man
03-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Dang. I forgot to bring my knife to work today.

morphius
03-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Are you certain it wasn't the "brides" of March?
I'm glad someone did Brides, it came to my mind after doing tides, but since I had already done one calling everyone else fools... well, you know.