PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable........

ChiTown
03-15-2005, 01:40 PM
He's coming back for another year :Lin:

K-State keeps men's basketball coach Wooldridge

By JASON WHITLOCK

The Kansas City Star

After a lengthy Tuesday morning meeting with school president Jon Wefald and athletic director Tim Weiser, Kansas State head basketball coach Jim Wooldridge learned he would be retained for the 2005-06 season, according to a source close to the program.

The school is expected to put out a press release this afternoon confirming Wooldridge's retention. Wooldridge just completed his fifth season at K-State. The Wildcats finished 17-12 overall, 6-10 in the Big 12 conference and out of postseason play for the sixth consecutive year.

That is the longest stretch in which Kansas State has failed to qualify for a post-season tournament since the late 1940s.

There was growing public speculation that Weiser wanted to replace Wooldridge, who has struggled to lift the Wildcats from the bottom half of the conference.

Wooldridge just finished the fifth season of his initial five-year contract. He received a two-year contract extension last year through the 2007 season.

This season was Kansas State's first with a winning record under Wooldridge. His teams had six wins against other clubs that were either in the NCAA or NIT tournaments, and nine of the 12 losses were against teams that still are playing in one of the post-season tournaments.

In five seasons his overall record at Kansas State is 68-77. His team's conference records are 26-54.

tk13
03-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Somebody better go check on WilliamTheIrish, I think his head just exploded.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 01:47 PM
On the bright side, won't lose as many players, and keep our current recruits coming in.

On the other hand...ADTW just basically admitted to the rest of the Big XII that he doesn't care about Mens Basketball. Wooldridge has accomplished NOTHING in his 5 year tenure, and other coaches are being fired for much less. This is embarassing.

ChiTown
03-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Dude has made nearly $5 Million in 5 years with the most mediocre results this program has seen. My donation just went down by 50%. I'm not going to financially support an administration where the University President undercuts the AD's perfromance criteria for his head coaches. What a bunch of ****ing crap!

ChiTown
03-15-2005, 01:50 PM
On the bright side, won't lose as many players, and keep our current recruits coming in.

On the other hand...ADTW just basically admitted to the rest of the Big XII that he doesn't care about Mens Basketball. Wooldridge has accomplished NOTHING in his 5 year tenure, and other coaches are being fired for much less. This is embarassing.

No, no, no, no, no,,,,,,

This has nothing to do with ADTW. This decision to keep was made by UPJW. ADTW wanted to make a change and it was vetoed by Wefald. That, my friend is BULLSHIT!

Phobia
03-15-2005, 01:52 PM
This is the reason there are so many K-state football fans who are also Kansas basketball fans. There are a bunch of those people, aren't there?

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 01:53 PM
No, no, no, no, noHello - commatard on the loose.,

This has nothing to do with ADTW. This decision to keep was made by UPJW. ADTW wanted to make a change and it was vetoed by Wefald. That, my friend is BULLSHIT!
How do you know that? I'm calling shens on your inside sources until you can provide a link.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Dude has made nearly $5 Million in 5 years with the most mediocre results this program has seen. My donation just went down by 50%. I'm not going to financially support an administration where the University President undercuts the AD's perfromance criteria for his head coaches. What a bunch of ****ing crap!
Eh..whadya gonna do? Call Wefald. I'm upset, but i'm going to continue my support of the program. Its the least I can do. I have no say in the matter, i'm not a donor. Yet.

ChiTown
03-15-2005, 01:57 PM
How do you know that? I'm calling shens on your inside sources until you can provide a link.

Provide a link? :rolleyes:

Listen, I have great sources inside KSU athletics. I'm very good friends with the guy right below ADTW (SZ). Just letting you know..........

Eleazar
03-15-2005, 01:59 PM
ROFL

Thanks, K-State, for ensuring that even when we have a turd of a season like we did this year, the Mildcats will still be down in the cellar to cushion our fall.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, I suppose the only thing you can do is encourage them to schedule a better non-con. They won't get away with scheduling a pathetically weak one like they did this year.

Braincase
03-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Might be there best chance to beat KU with the Jayhawks relying on the senior leadership of JHawkins, Christian Moody and Moulaye Njiang.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Might be there best chance to beat KU with the Jayhawks relying on the senior leadership of JHawkins, Christian Moody and Moulaye Njiang.
Yeah. So we can go 6-10 in conference again, but "We beat KU!!", and Wooldridge will be our savior. Bullshit. NCAA's or bust next year.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 02:02 PM
ROFL

Thanks, K-State, for ensuring that even when we have a turd of a season like we did this year, the Mildcats will still be down in the cellar to cushion our fall.
This would be the point where I remind you we beat our asses this year..but hell, you are right.

K-State officially now has lower standards than UMASS and Tennessee.

HC_Chief
03-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Yeah. So we can go 6-10 in conference again, but "We beat KU!!", and Wooldridge will be our savior. Bullshit.

Heh, you'd be right where MU is :D

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Heh, you'd be right where MU is :D
Gah..i'd like to think we have higher standards than them, but damn, we don't. What a crock.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Alright..now that i'm a bit calmed down...here is what Wooly needs to do:

1. Find a JUCO PF. We desperately need help on the inside with Massey gone. Cartier is a decent inside scoring threat, but not nearly physical enough. Tyler Hughes sucks. Dramane Diarra, who knows. I'm assuming Hayden will still be gone, so we will get to fill his scholly. Ousmane Cisse, Sidike Sidibe, C-Mart, Dramane, another Juco PF, and then Tyler Hughes...that MIGHT provide a "good enough" 4-5 spot rotation.

2. Sign another JUCO Guard. David Hoskins will come in, but we need another in the rotation. I think Lance Harris will be a consistent scorer, but Freed Peete and ESPECIALLY Clent Stewart have not been consistent scoring threats. Peete has shown flashes of being a good guard (scoring and defense), but Clent has not scored at all. Schyler Thomas is good for a few TO's a game. Curtis Allen, who knows.

3. Upgrade non-con schedule. Nothing can be more dissapointing to these kids to come out of the tunnel to see 3k fans see them beat Arkansas Pine-Bluff, Oakland, or Central Missouri State. Lets get some decent teams in Bramlage. Marquette, Wichita State, Creighton, Southern Illinois, Air Force, Tulsa...make some calls, get em here.

4. Fire Chad Altadonna. He sucks.

5. Work on the teams conditioning. This team has fallen apart near the end of the game, every game.

Expectations:

1. Postseason. The NIT was "good enough" this year, and we got left out. The NCAA should be expected next year. No excuses.
2. Beat Kansas. No excuses.
3. Finishing in the upper half of the conference. 6th place or better. No excuses.
4. Winning overall record. Got that this year, but only because of a pathetic non-con schedule.
5. Road wins. I'm tired of them pissing their pants everytime they are on the road. Wooly is good for about 2 road wins a year. That has got to improve. NO EXCUSES!

If the above criteria is met..we resurrect the Basketball program from the dead.

Yes, i'm somewhat delusional, but i'm a homer.

HC_Chief
03-15-2005, 02:36 PM
3. Upgrade non-con schedule.

There's the most likely reason for your NIT snub this year. Playing Div II/III schools in the non-con just won't cut it. Sure, it will inflate your win/loss record early, but once you hit conference play, you're going to see the number in the L column rise while the W column sits stagnant. Come selection-time, they look at who those Ws came against and lol.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 02:38 PM
There's the most likely reason for your NIT snub this year. Playing Div II/III schools in the non-con just won't cut it. Sure, it will inflate your win/loss record early, but once you hit conference play, you're going to see the number in the L column rise while the W column sits stagnant. Come selection-time, they look at who those Ws came against and lol.
Yup. We played 2 DII schools, although I thought NDSU was a Division 1 school this year. Either that, or they are applying for D1 this year.

However, our Non-con schedule and RPI was better than quite a few teams in the NIT. Thats what gets me.

HC_Chief
03-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Yup. We played 2 DII schools, although I thought NDSU was a Division 1 school this year. Either that, or they are applying for D1 this year.

However, our Non-con schedule and RPI was better than quite a few teams in the NIT. Thats what gets me.

They applied, but were upgraded <i>after</i> you guys played them (no kidding). Thus, they counted it as a D2 non-con game.

tk13
03-15-2005, 02:43 PM

Those DII teams don't count against your RPI, that's why.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 02:46 PM
FWIW, Texas A&M had the #320 ranked non-con SOS in the country. They are in.

The problem with K-States record wasn't so much the non-con, but the lack of quality wins. Had we beaten either OU, Texas Tech, Texas, we probably would have made it.

Our best wins were Iowa State, and @Missouri. Both not worthy of making the NIT.

Soupnazi
03-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Does Wooly have nekid pictures of the AD w/ some gutterslut or something? I don't really care about K-State but I've never seen a coach be on the hotseat for as long as he has and still keep his job.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 03:10 PM
After doing a bit of research..Wooldridge has had 8 total road wins, in 5 years. I don't even know what to say about that. :shrug:

ROYC75
03-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Great news, this keeps the Mildcats ......... mild !
:D

Eleazar
03-15-2005, 03:26 PM
This would be the point where I remind you we beat our asses this year..but hell, you are right.

K-State officially now has lower standards than UMASS and Tennessee.

Yeah, that doesn't help add much luster to the K-State program though. All it says is that you would have been 4-12 in the conference instead of 6-10 if Missouri hadn't had their worst basketball season in 15 years or more.

Eleazar
03-15-2005, 03:28 PM
After doing a bit of research..Wooldridge has had 8 total road wins, in 5 years. I don't even know what to say about that. :shrug:

Holy crap if that was a stat over a 2 year span there ought to be a coach on the hotseat.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Great news, this keeps the Mildcats ......... mild !
:D
Yeah. I didn't see that one coming. :rolleyes:

WilliamTheIrish
03-15-2005, 10:01 PM
I figured this would happen.

That said, it's now NCAA or the electric chair for Wooly.

I'm upset, but this is my team and I'm full on board the Wooly wagon.

I have no choice.

Skip Towne
03-15-2005, 10:11 PM
ROFL

Another classy Muron post.

Saulbadguy
03-15-2005, 10:11 PM
We need a PF. We need another Guard. We've got 3 schollies to fill. Get to work, Wooly.

WilliamTheIrish
03-16-2005, 10:04 AM
ROFL

I hear Depaul calling....