PDA

View Full Version : Peter King -TMQ

ClearmontChief
03-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Doesn't look like Peter King thinks much of our off season, Bell, or our chances of signing Ty Law. Truth kinda hurts...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/03/14/mmqbte.tice/1.html

SOME DOUBTS ABOUT THE PATRIOTS, FROM ALL THE WAY UP IN BRITISH COLUMBIA. From Chandrika of Vancouver, B.C.: "I have been a Patriots fan for too many years to count. This offseason they have baffled me. Releasing Ty Law still stings even though it was expected. Letting Troy Brown go was the stupidest, most classless move. What are they thinking? Every other team is getting better and we just sit pat and make no moves at all. Can you please explain their thinking on this because I am completely stumped. And do you think Troy will be back?''

I understand your feelings about Law and Brown, but if there's one thing you should understand as a Patriots fan after watching Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli operate over the past five years: They'll make their decisions with a cold detachment. They love Brown. How can you not? But they're not going to spend $5 million on a potential fourth/fifth receiver who won't play defensive back this year simply because they love him. It's silly to pay Law $10 million, or whatever Monopoly-money figure he was due to make this year, when he's coming off a broken foot at age 31. Duane Starks, if healthy, is nearly as good as Smoot but a lot cheaper. And remember: You've probably thought the Pats had lost their minds on several occasions in recent years, such as when they traded Drew Bledsoe and released Lawyer Milloy, and they haven't been wrong much yet.

YOU'RE RIGHT. THE CHIEFS ARE IN NEVERLAND. From Murray Powers of Oakland: "I'm scratching my head over Carl Peterson, the president and GM of the Chiefs. First he fields a terrible defense and then re-signs everyone. Then, when they stink again, he passes on Samari Rolle, a bona fide player, because of some potential problem and signs Kendrell Bell. Now Peterson is apparently waiting for Ty Law's cast to come off, while a perfectly healthy Ed Hartwell walks. What's in the pipe in KC?''

Interesting question. "The pipe?'' As in, "What's Peterson been smoking?'' That's how I'll take it. I agree with you: The Chiefs have done an awful job this postseason of addressing their massive defensive needs. Bell is attractive, but he's full of injury-related questions marks. The way I see it, they're almost required to sign Law once they can be sure he's going to be healthy. (By the way, that signing won't be easy. Law wants to play for the Jets or Colts much more than the Chiefs.)

JIM IS VENTING. From Jim Carlson of Saugus, Mass.: "Bill Parcells is a quitter. He has quit on his players over and over again. He quit on the Pats during Super Bowl week (his most heinous crime) and spent more time talking to Jets management than game-planning that week. The Pats had a great chance to beat a terrific Green Bay team but Parcells had better things to do. Then he quit on the Jets and the players he brought in and I guarantee he'll quit after this season on the Cowboys. The real question is who will be the Cowboys next coach?''

Nice letter, Mr. Kraft. Re: your question: I'd guess that the next Cowboys coach might be Dallas offensive aide Sean Payton, Arkansas coach Houston Nutt, Dallas defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer (if he gets the D right this year) ... or the next flavor-of-the-month coordinator in the NFL.

Bootlegged
03-15-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure who I hate more.

Peter "I have my own table at Golden Corrale" King

or CP.

milkman
03-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't diasgree with Peter King in this case, but overall, the guy sucks lamb bones, and is a useless assclown.

But he's also forgetting about the potential of trading for Surtain, and makes no mention of Knight.

Otter
03-15-2005, 03:57 PM
He forgot to mention we signed a saftey.

Like I said, I have no faith in Peterson's ability to take this team anywhere. I just want him to admit failure and leave.

the Talking Can
03-15-2005, 04:00 PM
we sign damaged cheap players over young healthy expensive ones....news flash: this is old news

Bell and Law instead of Hartwell/Smoot/Rolle/Lucas

Fat Elvis
03-15-2005, 04:02 PM
we sign damaged cheap players over young healthy expensive ones....news flash: this is old news

news flash: we sign damaged cheap players for the money we were going to give the young healthy expensive ones

Duck Dog
03-15-2005, 04:04 PM
I hate PK as much as the next guy but where is he wrong with this assesment?

shaneo69
03-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Peter King is just a shill for the doom and gloomers.

shaneo69
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I hate PK as much as the next guy but where is he wrong with this assesment?

Well for one, he doesn't recognize the fact that adding Knight and benching Wesley will greatly improve our defense.

tomahawk kid
03-15-2005, 04:08 PM
In other news, Peter King is still a walking coronary who can't see his own feet. If he raised his head from his plate once in a while, we might actually get a decent football take from this beach ball.

That is all........

chiefsfolife
03-15-2005, 04:08 PM
just cause they were injured in the past doesnt mean anything...its a new season

Baby Lee
03-15-2005, 04:09 PM

And the wonder of it all is that the supposed weathered veterans on here are slurping it up like it were some wondrous new consomme.

milkman
03-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Well for one, he doesn't recognize the fact that adding Knight and benching Woods will greatly improve our defense.

I think that's what you mean't to say.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-15-2005, 04:14 PM
It is funny how we let a guy go because of a "suppossed" injury and then turn right around and sign one with a proven injury history.

shaneo69
03-15-2005, 04:17 PM
I think that's what you mean't to say.

Why, did we sign a free safety to push Woods out of a job?

beer bacon
03-15-2005, 04:18 PM

We signed a SS so Wesley could move over to FS. You aren't being as clever as you think you are.

Archie Bunker
03-15-2005, 04:23 PM
The Ty Law news is troubling for sure. I have no problem with what the Chiefs have done so far. They offered both Rolle and Trotter more than they accepted from other teams. I would say Hartwell received a good offer to. You cant make them sign.

Right now the Chiefs have to gamble on talented guys on that they can get at a good price. Too many holes to fill and too little money available to spend a lot on one guy.

carlos3652
03-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Bell.... CHeap????? This is the list of LB signed this season... where is cheap on here:???????

Kendrell Bell Steelers Chiefs 7 years, $35 million $10 million
Morlon Greenwood Dolphins Texans 5 years, $22.5 million $7 million
Ian Gold Buccaneers Broncos 5 years, $22.5 million $8.5 million
Antonio Pierce Redskins Giants 6 years, $26 million $6.5 million
Chris Claiborne Vikings Rams 3 years, $10.5 million $3.6 million
Jeremiah Trotter Eagles Eagles 5 years, $15 million $4 million
Dexter Coakley Cowboys Rams 5 years, $14.5 million $3 million

The wierd thing is, that the chiefs have the highest contract for Hartwell (that we know of) Atlanta and Arizona did not match it... (Seattle news) and Hartwell is overpricing himself... how are we being cheap...??????

shaneo69
03-15-2005, 04:24 PM
We signed an SS so Wesley could move over to FS. You aren't being as clever as you think you are.

Haven't you heard....Woods hired a speed coach. That alone should impress DV enough to let him keep his starting job.

milkman
03-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Beer Baron already answered, but here's the link to the story posted on this forum.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112095

Chiefnj
03-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Bell was cheap with a 10 mil signing bonus??

Iowanian
03-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I think that number is incorrect Carlos.........Bell is guaranteed $10 mil in the contract.........not a 10mil signing bonus. Maybe it is correct, but it can't be based on what Peterson said at the announcement.

Trent Green and Holmes were also injury issue players picked up by the Chiefs. Both have worked out alright.

the Talking Can
03-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Bell.... CHeap????? This is the list of LB signed this season... where is cheap on here:???????

Kendrell Bell Steelers Chiefs 7 years, $35 million $10 million
Morlon Greenwood Dolphins Texans 5 years, $22.5 million $7 million
Ian Gold Buccaneers Broncos 5 years, $22.5 million $8.5 million
Antonio Pierce Redskins Giants 6 years, $26 million $6.5 million
Chris Claiborne Vikings Rams 3 years, $10.5 million $3.6 million
Jeremiah Trotter Eagles Eagles 5 years, $15 million $4 million
Dexter Coakley Cowboys Rams 5 years, $14.5 million $3 million

The wierd thing is, that the chiefs have the highest contract for Hartwell (that we know of) Atlanta and Arizona did not match it... (Seattle news) and Hartwell is overpricing himself... how are we being cheap...??????

the back end of a contract is meaningless....Bell got a $3.5 mill bonus and then a bunch of roster guarantes...we had leverage in structuring the contract because of his injuries...we don't have that luxury with young healthy players, and we aren't signing any of them either...Baltimore didn't try to pinch pennies with Rolle, they had a need and they filled it...CP spent days jerking around our "#1 priority" only to watch him walk away

I'm not unhappy with the Bell signing, I'm just calling it what it is.

Big Chief Homer
03-15-2005, 04:34 PM
If Law is so interested in Indy and The Jets,why is he calling Pittsburgh for visits and not the formentioned 2 cities.

peter king is a pompous fat ass windbag.

carlos3652
03-15-2005, 04:34 PM
the back end of a contract is meaningless....Bell got a $3.5 mill bonus and then a bunch of roster guarantes...we had leverage in structuring the contract because of his injuries...we don't have that luxury with young healthy players, and we aren't signing any of them either...Baltimore didn't try to pinch pennies with Rolle, they had a need and they filled it...CP spent days jerking around our "#1 priority" only to watch him walk away

I'm not unhappy with the Bell signing, I'm just calling it what it is.

All these contracts are going to be loaded in the backend, thats how it works... I understand Bell was a signing becasue Hartwell wasnt sure, but this guy is taking forever to decide... Rolle wanted to be a Raven as soon as Baltimore called, Chiefs wanted to have an injury clause in the contract after finding out of his condition - thats why it took so long, Baltimore didnt care, knew if they offered him straight up without an injury clause they would get him.

Chiefs got screwed....

Mr. Laz
03-15-2005, 04:35 PM
We signed a SS so Wesley could move over to FS. You aren't being as clever as you think you are.

oh yes.. by all means

we need a free safety, but instead we will sign a strong safety and convert someone.

:banghead: :banghead:

our obsession with converting people is one of our main problems ... that and our GM.

beer bacon
03-15-2005, 04:39 PM
oh yes.. by all means

we need a free safety, but instead we will sign a strong safety and convert someone.

:banghead: :banghead:

our obsession with converting people is one of our main problems ... that and our GM.

Usually the converting argument has some merit, but I don't think it does in this case.

the Talking Can
03-15-2005, 04:39 PM
thats why it took so long, Baltimore didnt care, knew if they offered him straight up without an injury clause they would get him.

Chiefs got screwed....

Baltimore is smart enough to sign a good defensive player when he is available.

CP failed to sign his stated "#1 priority" becuase he was being his usual cheap ass ball breaking self in negotiations. Baltimore clowned him.

When you haven't won a playoff game in 12 years this shit is unforgiveable.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Usually the converting argument has some merit, but I don't think it does in this case.
why... i think there's a substantial difference between free safety and strong safety.

free safety - pass support first/run support second

strong safety - run support first/ pass support second

this idea that Wesley is just gonna step right into the free safety spot is a stretch.

Gravedigger
03-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah he is a assclown cause he says that we passed on samari rolle which obviously he hasnt read the story because I'd rather take a healthy law or the mighty surtain over rolle anyways with that narrowing spine of his.

tk13
03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
why... i think there's a substantial difference between free safety and strong safety.

this idea that Wesley is just gonna step right into the free safety spot is a stretch.
Why? Wesley played pretty well in coverage in 2003 did he not?... 6 INT, probably should've went to the Pro Bowl over Woods.

Color Red
03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
You know, on the one hand everyone is so jazzed by the Patriots formula for success of strategically positioning skilled--but not top shelf or big Probowl--players. But when your team (the Chiefs) tries to work that formula by not blowing the bank on huge free agents but trying to be shrewd to locate potentially overlooked, undervalued talent (ala Priest Holmes?) to piece together and build a cohesive, effective defense, they get dissed. They're all morons. We'll begin to find out about all this in September, won't we? CP gets ragged for leaning away from Rolle and more understandably Law now, but then gets the grief for signing an "injury prone" linebacker from Pittsburgh. As I say, we'll all see in Sept.

Cannibal
03-15-2005, 05:41 PM
You know, on the one hand everyone is so jazzed by the Patriots formula for success of strategically positioning skilled--but not top shelf or big Probowl--players. But when your team (the Chiefs) tries to work that formula by not blowing the bank on huge free agents but trying to be shrewd to locate potentially overlooked, undervalued talent (ala Priest Holmes?) to piece together and build a cohesive, effective defense, they get dissed. They're all morons. We'll begin to find out about all this in September, won't we? CP gets ragged for leaning away from Rolle and more understandably Law now, but then gets the grief for signing an "injury prone" linebacker from Pittsburgh. As I say, we'll all see in Sept.

Sorry, but there is a big difference, the Patriots have drafted well for the last 4 or 5 years. If you can draft, you will be more able to dictate what type of free agents you sign and for how much. If you don't draft well, you get desperate (i.e. the Kansas City Chiefs) and you end up having to pay more for the better free agents.

Cannibal
03-15-2005, 05:43 PM

In addition, because the Patriots have drafted well, they DON'T NEED to sign any top tier free agents. They only use free agency to suppliment an already well rounded roster on offense and defense.

The Patriots don't need new starters at 6 or 7 positions as the Chiefs do.

Pants
03-15-2005, 05:48 PM

I still don't understand why people think Bell is injured or cheap. Uninformed comes to mind.

Wallcrawler
03-15-2005, 05:52 PM

Why?

Before last season, Wesley had two straight seasons with 6 interceptions. Thats more than a lot of CBs had.

I think Wesley can play the pass if given the opportunity. Sammy will be there for the run support, and he gets himself into position to make plays on passes also.

Im guessing that Wesley is the faster of the two guys, because Sammy is not known for his speed, so it makes sense that Wesley would move over to FS.

C-Mac
03-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Uhh.....Law scheduled his own visit to Pittsburg. Wonder why they werent on the list of teams that he wants to play for?
Blah Blah Blah "Im Peter King" Blah Blah Blah

CoMoChief
03-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Peter King is a piece of shit almost as bad as Jason Whitlock.

philfree
03-15-2005, 08:02 PM
YOU'RE RIGHT. THE CHIEFS ARE IN NEVERLAND. From Murray Powers of Oakland: "I'm scratching my head over Carl Peterson, the president and GM of the Chiefs. First he fields a terrible defense and then re-signs everyone. Then, when they stink again, he passes on Samari Rolle, a bona fide player, because of some potential problem and signs Kendrell Bell. Now Peterson is apparently waiting for Ty Law's cast to come off, while a perfectly healthy Ed Hartwell walks. What's in the pipe in KC?''

I don't think we passed on Rolle as much as he passed on us when the Ravens called. I don't think we passed on Hartwell as much as he passed on us looking for more money. Also Law and Hartwell play different positions so.......I will say that Bell does have some injury history but it's been nothing catastrophic and the worst injury didn't happen on the football field. These people need to do their homework!

PhilFree :arrow:

keg in kc
03-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Peter King, Rams homer, slamming the Chiefs?

I can hardly believe it.

Manila-Chief
03-15-2005, 11:21 PM
I know this sounds like "homerism" ... but I'm speaking in the "maybe" .... everyone is talking Knight and one of the "W's" ... It's not too far of a stretch for the competition to elevate the game of both W's and Knight may be the 3rd. S. I think in 2003 there would not have been many of us on here who would have taken Knight over our own 2 S.????

Are not the salaries of both W's higher than Knight's? If that is true then they wouldn't be playing him just because they are paying him more.

I like competition... I think every position ought to be up for grabs every year. That has got to upgrade your football team. Yes, we have some players who are at the top of the NFL, but even they should be pushed to get better....

milkman
03-16-2005, 12:01 AM
I know this sounds like "homerism" ... but I'm speaking in the "maybe" .... everyone is talking Knight and one of the "W's" ... It's not too far of a stretch for the competition to elevate the game of both W's and Knight may be the 3rd. S. I think in 2003 there would not have been many of us on here who would have taken Knight over our own 2 S.????

Are not the salaries of both W's higher than Knight's? If that is true then they wouldn't be playing him just because they are paying him more.

I like competition... I think every position ought to be up for grabs every year. That has got to upgrade your football team. Yes, we have some players who are at the top of the NFL, but even they should be pushed to get better....

I really doubt that Knight would have signed here unless he had some kind of assurance he'd be starting.

And who exactly on our D is at the top of the NFL?

Manila-Chief
03-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Who made the pro-bowl this year?

milkman
03-16-2005, 12:08 AM
From our D?

No one.

T-post Tom
03-16-2005, 12:15 AM

No disrespect, but that is TOO far of a stretch and it's not going to happen unless an injury is involved. Anyone and everyone from One Arrowhead drive has been talking about getting "leaders on the field" in FA. And Knight has been praised as being a leader by all clad in red & gold. Speed coach or not, Woods is 31 and hasn't been the same since the broken leg. He's the odds on favorite to ride the pine or play for a new team.