PDA

View Full Version : A Chiefs Fans Dream Come True! NFL to vote on banning "Blindside hits"

Taco John
03-15-2005, 06:30 PM
New rule would fall under unnecessary roughness
By Chris Mortensen, ESPN

The NFL Competition Committee meeting in Hawaii this week will recommend that blind-side plays on "unsuspecting" players -- such as Warren Sapp's block on Packers tackle Chad Clifton on a punt return two years ago -- should be banished under the rules, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Tuesday.

If the proposal is adopted by owners at next week's league meetings in Maui, it will be specifically written into a broader interpretation of the unnecessary roughness rule.

The proposed change came as the result of continued dialogue stemming from Sapp's block on Clifton during a game between the Buccaneers and Packers in 2003 in Tampa. Clifton missed the remainder of the 2003 season with severe pelvic injuries.

Another play that pushed the committee into action came on a 2004 Monday Night Football game, when Broncos offensive tackle George Foster dislocated the ankle of Bengals defensive linemen Tony Williams who, under the new interpretation, would have been an "unsuspecting player" because the play was beyond him. However, there will be no changes on the controversial cut blocks that are allowed within the designated blocking zone.

Also under discussion this week is the specific "horse collar" tackle by Cowboys safety Roy Williams that broke the leg of Eagles receiver Terrell Owens. Williams injured four players with that specific technique, a committee member said Tuesday, and those incidents were still being debated by the committee.

Taco John
03-15-2005, 06:31 PM
You guys are catching all the breaks this offseason... First Kendrell Awesome Bell, and now this!

PastorMikH
03-15-2005, 06:32 PM
I suppose a defender will have to tap the person on the shoulder and let them know he is about to hit them from now on.

How long before they put flags on?

The Bad Guy
03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
You guys are catching all the breaks this offseason... First Kendrell Awesome Bell, and now this!

Yeah, like the Broncos getting thugged out Gerard Warren and Ian Gold back is any major accomplishment.

Bwana
03-15-2005, 06:37 PM
New rule would fall under unnecessary roughness
By Chris Mortensen, ESPN

The NFL Competition Committee meeting in Hawaii this week will recommend that blind-side plays on "unsuspecting" players -- such as Warren Sapp's block on Packers tackle Chad Clifton on a punt return two years ago -- should be banished under the rules, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Tuesday.

If the proposal is adopted by owners at next week's league meetings in Maui, it will be specifically written into a broader interpretation of the unnecessary roughness rule.

The proposed change came as the result of continued dialogue stemming from Sapp's block on Clifton during a game between the Buccaneers and Packers in 2003 in Tampa. Clifton missed the remainder of the 2003 season with severe pelvic injuries.

Another play that pushed the committee into action came on a 2004 Monday Night Football game, when Broncos offensive tackle George Foster dislocated the ankle of Bengals defensive linemen Tony Williams who, under the new interpretation, would have been an "unsuspecting player" because the play was beyond him. However, there will be no changes on the controversial cut blocks that are allowed within the designated blocking zone.

Also under discussion this week is the specific "horse collar" tackle by Cowboys safety Roy Williams that broke the leg of Eagles receiver Terrell Owens. Williams injured four players with that specific technique, a committee member said Tuesday, and those incidents were still being debated by the committee.

Hmmm? It looks like the boys in your line are still in business though.

Taco John
03-15-2005, 06:43 PM

I told you guys they wouldn't change the rules. It's because they want to give Denver this advantage, not because any other teams are using the technique. :p

Calcountry
03-15-2005, 07:36 PM
I suppose a defender will have to tap the person on the shoulder and let them know he is about to hit them from now on.

How long before they put flags on?Heck, that would make things fair for the Defense with respect to hitting the QB.

Phobia
03-15-2005, 07:42 PM
They take big hits that could potentially injure somebody out of the game and they'll take me out of the people they can call fans. I'm all about preventing cheap shots, but if you take a guy out of a play when he happens to not be looking.... good on ya.

Calcountry
03-15-2005, 08:01 PM
A Chiefs Fans Dream Come True! NFL to vote on banning "Blindside hits".

Suck my D*ck Taco.

chief husker
03-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Kiss my ass you cheap shot bronco bitch

mcan
03-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Just my opinion...

1. Unsuspecting players is a subjective term, and will only cause trouble. Frankly, I believe that a player should know when he is fair game and when he is not. If he is, he should always be "expecting" a hit. Simple question: Did you hear a whistle? No? Then expect to get hit. However, I think if the rule were changed to include a more litteral sense of the word "unnecessary" then we might be in business. If it's the referees determination that the hit or "roughing" was solely for the purpose of hurting someone and has nothing to do with making a play for the sake of the game, then I can see a flag being thrown. However, who's to say that the player that was blocked by Warren Sapp wouldn't have made the tackle if there happened to be a fumble on the other side of the field?

2. Banning certain types of tackles that specifically injure people is fine with me. Clothesline types of tackles were banned for this reason, and it hasn't effected the game. In fact, I was watching "Friday Night Lights" last night, and saw three distinct illegal "clothesline" tackles in that movie. They look cool, but the fact is they serve only to injure and aren't that effective as tackles. If you have to grab somebody and swing them around to tackle them, then you aren't going to have much luck in tackling much of the time, and when you do, there's a good risk of injury to both parties...

3. Cut Blocking is a rule that should be called relative to the player position, much like a block in the back rule... It should NOT be called as it is (where it is legal inside the zone). The rule should look more like this: No cutting a man, unless you are engaged in blocking that man. Or: no cutting unless you are straight up. It should be illegal for a man to be engaged in blocking someone else, and then a third party comes in and cuts out your legs. Unfortunately, that's how people get hurt, and that's still legal as long as it's in the zone... But don't expect the league to change this "quarterback protecting" rule...

Skip Towne
03-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Taco and the rest of those dipshits on the Mane like the cheapshots as long as it helps the Donkeys win. The Donkey's winning is history. Tough shit, Taco.

Garcia Bronco
03-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Damn Right :thumb:

RealSNR
03-15-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm sure you guys hate the new rule. How will your safeties be able to tackle anyone now?

PastorMikH
03-15-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm sure you guys hate the new rule. How will your safeties be able to tackle anyone now?

Just like they always do because the Refs will keep looking the other way when Lynch or any of the other Donkeys lay a cheap shot on someone.

ChiefsCountry
03-15-2005, 11:33 PM
When I played football, cheap shots were fun to do if they were half way clean.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2005, 12:11 AM
That's really funny that you say that Taco, since the Chiefs currently have the best blindside pass rusher in the AFC West.

whoman69
03-16-2005, 09:13 AM
I noticed they are also looking to outlaw the collar tackle that took out Terrell Owens. If I recall, that's also what happened to Priest when he had the hip injury.

Soupnazi
03-16-2005, 09:26 AM

Go change your tampon, bitch.

jspchief
03-16-2005, 09:32 AM
What will that little bitch John Lynch whine about now? I'm sure he'll be able to switch to a smaller maxipad now that he doesn't have to worry about Atlanta WRs knocking him on his ass....

Oh thats right, when Donkeys get hit with cheap-shots it's bullsh*t. When it's the Donkey laying the cheap-shot, it's football.