PDA

View Full Version : A hypothetical question about money and death.

Rain Man
03-17-2005, 07:39 PM
In the not too distant future, you are invited to join a game show. In the game show, contestants all put their names into a hat, and a certain proportion are drawn out. Those people are killed via a randomly selected method of hanging, firing squad, electric chair, guillotine, lethal injection, and being thrown into the wolf, crocodile, or lion den at the local zoo.

All of those who do NOT have their names drawn will receive an amount of money as a prize, as specified.

Which option do you choose?

Hammock Parties
03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Hell no.

keg in kc
03-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Wow, that's morbid. Somebody forget his zyban?

Hammock Parties
03-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Didn't know this was a poll, sorry.

I chose 1 in 25. If you die, it's just bad luck.

Rain Man
03-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey, I'm not the head of Fox Programming. They're just giving the people what they want.

4th and Long
03-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Wow, that's morbid. Somebody forget his zyban?
Zyban is rarely used as a "happy pill" these days and is used more to help people quit smoking. Most physicians have turned to using serotonin uptake inhibitors.

And no way in hell I toss my name in that hat. :shake:

Mr. Laz
03-17-2005, 07:53 PM
1 in 10 die – prize is $1.5 million seems like a pretty good risk/reward deal

keg in kc
03-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Zyban is rarely used as a "happy pill" these days and is used more to help people quit smoking. Most physicians have turned to using serotonin uptake inhibitors.I know, my ex-wife took wellbutrin to quit smoking. I'm not up-to-date on my happy pills, so I had to use what I remembered. :p

4th and Long
03-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I know, my ex-wife took wellbutrin to quit smoking. I'm not up-to-date on my happy pills, so I had to use what I remembered. :p
Wellbutrin ans Zyban are the exact same drug (Bupropion Hydrochloride) but carry a different brand name. I do know my drugs. :)

go bo
03-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I know, my ex-wife took wellbutrin to quit smoking. I'm not up-to-date on my happy pills, so I had to use what I remembered. :pso that's what was wrong with the crazy broad...

nicotine withdrawal...

nasty stuff, that...

Saulbadguy
03-17-2005, 08:01 PM
That depends. If you don't get picked, do you get to administer the death of the unlucky participant? :D

keg in kc
03-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Wellbutrin ans Zyban are the exact same drug (Bupropion Hydrochloride) but carry a different brand name.Yep, I just thought Zyban would sound more...druggy, for my initial post.

And that's the sum total of my drug knowledge. I won't even take tylenol, although I'll pop some day-/ny-quil if I'm on my deathbed. No doctors, no drugs.

God, can you imagine being tossed into a croc pit? *shudder*

eazyb81
03-17-2005, 08:04 PM
A reasonable person could choose anywhere between 1 in 10 to 1 in 100. The 1 in 10 choice is a great deal, but it is still a tad risky. 1 in 25 seems like the best choice to me, because like gochiefs said you would only lose if you were extremely unlucky. Also, $500,000 would satisfy the majority of people.

Good question! :thumb:

go bo
03-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Yep, I just thought Zyban would sound more...druggy, for my initial post.

And that's the sum total of my drug knowledge. I won't even take tylenol, although I'll pop some day-/ny-quil if I'm on my deathbed. No doctors, no drugs.

God, can you imagine being tossed into a croc pit? *shudder*no drugs?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

well, that's ok...

i'm taking up the slack for ya... :D

keg in kc
03-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Well, I smoked pot once. But that about covers it.

Unless we're counting alcohol as a depressant.

Pants
03-17-2005, 08:14 PM
I feel lucky, give me the 3/4.

But seriously, I think the odds are pretty insane. I don't know a lot of people who would risk losing their life for a measly $100. Crackheads don't count.

mcan
03-17-2005, 08:23 PM
There is no rational way to justify taking any part in this death lotto...

It is wrong on both plains
-Moral
-Practical

G
Morally, the money you would earn would be at the expense of someone else's death (or maybe a lot of people's).

Practically, even the $500.00 option doesn't have a reasonable expected value, given that there is no amount of money that you wouldn't give to someone if they said "give me all your money or I'll shoot you right now."

EV= (9,999/10,000 * 500) - (1/10,000 * death)

EV= (499.99) - (death+0)
EV= -infinte...

Based on this logic, you can derive this proof.

If you are willing to pay ANY amount of money to save yourself from instant death, then there is no amount of money worth risking death for no matter what the actual odds of dying are.

Saulbadguy
03-17-2005, 08:25 PM

But seriously, I think the odds are pretty insane. I don't know a lot of people who would risk losing their life for a measly $100. Crackheads don't count.
Come on Jerry...its a LOCK!

Pants
03-17-2005, 08:26 PM
There is no rational way to justify taking any part in this death lotto...

It is wrong on both plains
-Moral
-Practical

G
Morally, the money you would earn would be at the expense of someone else's death (or maybe a lot of people's).

Practically, even the $500.00 option doesn't have a reasonable expected value, given that there is no amount of money that you wouldn't give to someone if they said "give me all your money or I'll shoot you right now."

EV= (9,999/10,000 * 500) - (1/10,000 * death)

EV= (499.99) - (death+0)
EV= -infinte...

Based on this logic, you can derive this proof.

If you are willing to pay ANY amount of money to save yourself from instant death, then there is no amount of money worth risking death for no matter what the actual odds of dying are.

Your logic stops working when a person needs to pay 3 mil for a kidney to save the life of their son/daughter. Your logic doesn't work on many levels. People who would sign up for this show, would obvioulsy think it was worth it.

milkman
03-17-2005, 08:29 PM
I can see it now.
Clint Eastwood would host the show.

"Do ya feel lucky punk? Do ya?"

mcan
03-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Your logic stops working when a person needs to pay 3 mil for a kidney to save the life of their son/daughter. Your logic doesn't work on many levels. People who would sign up for this show, would obvioulsy think it was worth it.

That's a different scenario. The original scenario was a question of money (presumably for quality of life). You are talking about a certain death situation vs a possible death situation...

In that case, there would be two options----

1. If you do not participate, your son will certainly die.
2. If you do participate, there is a chance that YOU will die.
------------------------------------------------------------

3. If you value your life MORE than your sons, you can apply an expected value formula and decide if the risk (losing your life) is greater than the benifit (saving your son's).

4. If you value the life of your son MORE than your own, then you have to decide if you value his life at least more than 5 of your own lives. If you do, then you have a positive expected value and should take part in the lottery.

5. If you value both lives equally, then you should steer clear of this potential disaster of losing BOTH lives at the risk of saving one life that is of no greater value than the one being risked...

Dayze
03-17-2005, 09:54 PM
wheres' the option for
"Doing just fine - I can't take it with me anyway"

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Wow. My neighbor, right across the street, has developed some really, really bad shows (Big Fat Obnoxious Boss, Joe Millionaire 2 and there's more on the slate that I can't disclose), but this has to take the cake.

Kevin, I think you're ready to be the head of a major television network. Congratulations!

Dane
~Never surprised

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2005, 11:34 PM
I'd take 1 in 25 odds, and don't need more than 500k anyway. I could get rich off of that kind of scratch

Mr. Flopnuts
03-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Wow. My neighbor, right across the street, has developed some really, really bad shows (Big Fat Obnoxious Boss, Joe Millionaire 2 and there's more on the slate that I can't disclose), but this has to take the cake.

Kevin, I think you're ready to be the head of a major television network. Congratulations!

Dane
~Never surprised

that's the 2nd quote i've seen about you and the rich and famous, how about sending me some money ;)

patteeu
03-18-2005, 12:08 AM

I like how you think. I didn't feel quite that lucky though, I picked the 1/2 option. The possibility of being thrown to the wolf/crocodile/lion did make me hesitate though.

DaneMcCloud
03-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Hey Chiefsman,

How do you know that it's me that's rich and famous? It coud be my super-hot wife!

Dane
~Seriously, not braggin, just sharing

J Diddy
03-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Hey Chiefsman,

How do you know that it's me that's rich and famous? It coud be my super-hot wife!

Dane

You know there are alot of super cool people on this board, but you sir are god.

Not everyone will share their super-hot wife.

:)

Pitt Gorilla
03-18-2005, 12:22 AM
My family makes me happier than any amount of money; no way I risk not being with them for cash.

trndobrd
03-18-2005, 12:24 AM
How about a show where a group of contestants are in a designated area for a prescribed period of time, say 6-12 months. During that time mortar shells are randomly lobbed into the designated area and people shoot at or try to bomb the contestants anytime they leave the designated area. Contestants left alive at the end of the prescribed period of time take home between $30k-$60K?

The show wouldn't be over as quickly as one random drawing. Each week the viewers could check in and see if their favorite contestants are still alive and how they are getting along.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Hey Chiefsman,

Dane

well have her send me money, I'm not proud

mcan
03-18-2005, 01:28 AM
How about this show...

The Contenders: SERIES 7 (http://www.series7movie.com) where no money is exchanged at all, just hand the contestants weapons and the winner... Is the one that lives! Untill next week, when they defend their winning status.

cheeeefs
03-18-2005, 02:10 AM
you guys should watch a movie called Battle Royale

chiefsfolife
03-18-2005, 02:19 AM
anyone who wouldnt do it for 1 outta of 10 is a major pusssy....i'd do it for 100 bucks

Rausch
03-18-2005, 02:22 AM
anyone who wouldnt do it for 1 outta of 10 is a major pusssy....i'd do it for 100 bucks

Yeah.

I'm doing it right now for nothing at 2/5 odds just by smoking...

Rain Man
03-18-2005, 02:52 PM
[Blaring Theme Music]

Welcome, everybody! I'm Kip Rainman, and I'm your host on "You Bet Your Life!"

We all know the rules here, so let's just go ahead and get started with the game. We have sixteen contestants on tonight's show, and they're all willing to [crowd joins in] BET THEIR LIFE!

Our first contestant is Mr. Saggysack. Saggysack is going the conservative route today, facing a 1 in 10,000 chance of death in order to win $500.

Mr. Saggysack will draw a number from 1 to 10,000, and he'll then spin the Wheel of Death. Here comes our lovely assistant Kristin with the Big Goldfish Bowl of Death. Just reach right in there.

And your number, Mr. Saggysack? Hold it up for the audience to see. It's 2,254!*

And now step over here, Mr. Saggysack, and give that Wheel of Death a big spin. Remember, it must go around at least twice, or we will surgically remove a foot and you'll have to spin again. Ready? Go!

[Clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity]

[-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity]

[-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity]

[-clickity-clickity-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-click]

And the number of Death is 4,805! [Blaring theme music] Congratulations, Mr. Saggysack! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

[Johnny] He's won $500, Kip, in cold, hard cash!

[Applause from crowd, Saggysack waves and leaves stage]

Now let's hear a word from our sponsors. We'll be right back with more of YOUR favorite game show, "Death Wheel of Fortune!"

* All numbers will actually be drawn from a random number generator.

CosmicPal
03-18-2005, 02:58 PM
SNL had a hilarious skit with Chris Farley as an American who ended up on a Korean game show. He couldn't understand the questions, but he somehow got the answers correct until his final "jeopardy" where he was off by a syllable- thus, granting him the electric shock treatment.

mcan
03-18-2005, 03:07 PM
SNL had a hilarious skit with Chris Farley as an American who ended up on a Korean game show. He couldn't understand the questions, but he somehow got the answers correct until his final "jeopardy" where he was off by a syllable- thus, granting him the electric shock treatment.

That was a great episode. Foreign game shows are great for sketch comedy. There was an educational one in the episode with Julia Stiles (I just vaguely remember it) but I think it was German or something, and it was supposed to be for kids, but it was REALLY scary. At one point I remember a skeleton coming down from the ceiling and screaming "I'm inside all of you! I'm inside all of you!" and then going back up... I was actually trying to sleep on the couch and that part made my brother and Angela (Angel to you guys) laugh so hard that I actually had to wake up and watch it...

Rain Man
03-18-2005, 03:08 PM
[Blaring Theme Music]

We're back! And let's all give a good "Survivor Show" welcome to our next contestant - Dave Lane!

Dave, we understand that you're willing to take a 1 in 1,000 chance of dying today in exchange for a potential prize of $5,000. Five thousand dollars - that'll buy a ticket to another foreign country, won't it, Dave?

Step right up there, and draw a number from 1 to 10,000. You'll then get that number and the next 9 numbers up, giving you 10 chances in 10,000 of dying. Here comes our lovely assistant Jane with the Big Goldfish Bowl of Death. Just reach right in there.

And your number? Hold it up for the audience to see. It's 3,285! Your death will now be ensured if the Wheel of Death lands on any number from 3,285 through 3,294.

And now step over here and give that Wheel of Death a big spin. Remember, it must go around at least twice, or we will rip out your tonsils and you'll have to spin again. Ready? Go!

[Clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity]

[-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-click]

And the number of Death is 2,434! [Blaring theme music] Congratulations, Dave Lane! You're alive! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

[Johnny] He's won $5,000, Kip, in cold, hard cash!

[Applause from crowd, Dave Lane waves and leaves stage]

Now let's hear a word from our sponsors. We'll be right back with more of YOUR favorite game show, "One Life to Live."

Rain Man
03-18-2005, 04:04 PM
[Blaring Theme Music]

We're back! We've had two winners so far. Can we make it three? Our next contestant is RedandGold! Come on down!

RedandGold, I think you know the drill by now. You have opted to take a 1 in 1,000 chance of dying today in exchange for a potential prize of $5,000. Five thousand dollars - that'll get you out of the red with some gold left over, eh?

Step right up there, and draw a number from 1 to 10,000. You'll then get that number and the next 9 numbers up, giving you 10 chances in 10,000 of dying. Here comes our lovely assistant Jessica with the Big Goldfish Bowl of Death. Just reach right in there.

And your number? Hold it up for the audience to see. It's 4,511! Your death will now be ensured if the Wheel of Death lands on any number from 4,511 through 4,520.

And now step over here and give that Wheel of Death a big spin. Remember, it must go around at least twice, or we will give you a dirty-spoon spleenectomy and you'll have to spin again. Ready? Go!

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-click]

And the number of Death is 910! [Blaring theme music] You made it! You made it! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

[Johnny] He's won $5,000, Kip, in cold, hard cash!

[Applause from crowd, RedandGold waves and leaves stage]

That concludes our show for this week. Come back next week when we increase the risk factor a little bit more. Good night!

Slayer Diablo
03-18-2005, 07:03 PM
The thing that sucks about the guillotine is that you're alive for a moment after the decapitation...thank you very much, Mr. "Watch how many times I can blink once my head is chopped off."

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Welcome...to an all new episode of "You Bet Your Life."

Today, we enter the Round of 100. We have six contestants today, each of whom are willing to bet their life on 1 in 100 odds, in order to win $100,000. Are we ready to begin?

Our first contestant today is cheeefs. Our lovely assistant Serena is coming out with the Goldfish Bowl of Death, and cheefs will draw a number of out of it, from 1 to 100. Got it there? Hold it up so everyone can see it. Cheeefs has drawn the number 4!*

*All numbers are being drawn from an actual random number generator.

Okay, now step over here and spin the Wheel of Death. If you bring up any number between 1 and 100 that is not a 4, you will win a whopping $100,000!

Step up there and give it a spin!

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-click]

And the number of Death is 72! [Blaring theme music] Congratulations, cheeeefs! You're alive! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

[Johnny] He's won $100,000, Kip, in cold, hard cash!

[Applause from crowd, cheeefs waves and leaves stage]

Now let's hear a word from our sponsors. We'll be right back!

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 05:51 PM
We're back! And we have with us, chiefman420. Chiefman420, you're risking your life for a 99 in 100 chance of winning $100,000! Is luck on your side? We're about to find out!

Here comes my lovely assistant Megan with the Goldfish Bowl of Death. Just pick a number out of there, from 1 to 100. And your number is...?

100! What are the odds of that?

Let's see if the number 100 is lucky for you. Step over there and spin the Giant Wheel of Death. If any number other than 100 comes up, you'll walk away with a cool 100 grand. Give 'er a spin.

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-click]

And the number of Death is 3! [Blaring theme music] Congratulations, chiefsman420! You won't be killed! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

[Applause from crowd, chiefsman420 waves and leaves stage]

Now let's hear a word from our sponsors. When we come back, we'll see if we can make it three on a row on tonight's show.

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I'd like to bring out a very special guest now, a household name here on chiefsplanet. You know him, you love him, you've probably voted for him in a poll. I present ... the one, the only, the GAZ! (Crowd goes wild.)

Gaz is playing the odds here, pitting a 1 percent chance of his life against a giant pile of money valued at $100,000! That's a lot of bubble bath, my friend.

Okay, here comes my lovely assistant Svetlana with the Goldfish Bowl of Death. Just pick a number out of there, Mr. Gaz, and show it to the audience.

It's 82! The number made famous by such luminaries as Anthony Hancock and Derrick Alexander before being taken by Dante Hall. Let's hope that you're just as elusive.

Now step over here and spin the Giant Wheel of Death. If you get any number from 1 to 100 other than 82, you'll take home a check for one....hundred...thousand...dollars! Give it a spin!

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-clickity]

[-click]

And the number of Death is 67! [Blaring theme music] Congratulations, Gaz! You've just earned six digits! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

[Applause from crowd, gaz waves and leaves stage]

That closes out tonight's show. Come back tomorrow, when we close out the "Class of 100."