PDA

View Full Version : Heh, Virginity pledges don't reduce STD risk: May encourage high risk sexual behavior

|Zach|
03-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Virginity pledges do not reduce STD risk: May encourage high risk sexual behavior

Link To Source (http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2005/03/18/virginity-pledges-do-not-reduce-std-risk-may-encourage-high-risk-sexual-behavior/)
Link To Original Source (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-03/yu-vpd031705.php)

Young adults who take virginity pledges as adolescents are as likely to be infected with sexually transmitted diseases as those who do not take virginity pledges, Yale and Columbia University researchers report in the March 18 issue of Journal of Adolescent Health.

The virginity pledges may even encourage higher risk sexual behavior among young adults, say study authors Hannah Bruckner, assistant professor of sociology at Yale University and Peter Bearman, professor of sociology at Columbia University.

“We were surprised by the findings,” said Bruckner. “Pledgers have fewer sex partners than non-pledgers, they start having sex later, and they marry earlier, so they should have lower STD rates, but they don’t.”

SBK
03-18-2005, 09:27 AM
What about the folks that actually stick to their pledge? I bet they don't have a very high std rate......

Mr. Kotter
03-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Depends on who you ask, and WHO is doin' the research.

I'll match your study with MY study...nah, nevermind. What's the point?

This isn't a big battle for me, but the research is all over the place on it...neither side can claim anything conclusive.

J Diddy
03-18-2005, 09:32 AM
What about the folks that actually stick to their pledge? I bet they don't have a very high std rate......

Actually I think the study should say is that liars have a higher rate of stds.

bkkcoh
03-18-2005, 09:35 AM
I heard the other day that there have been more cases of vd in the mouth and throat area, but in the pelvic region.

Thank you president Clinton. :banghead: :thumb: :cuss: :p :clap:

milkman
03-18-2005, 09:37 AM
OK, this is what I got from this research.

Help promote safe sex.
Pop a cherry!

NewChief
03-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I've told this story before, but I knew a chick in college that said she was saving herself for her husband. As such, she'd let guys do her up the butt all they wanted, but her vagina was off limits.

Eleazar
03-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I've told this story before, but I knew a chick in college that said she was saving herself for her husband. As such, she'd let guys do her up the butt all they wanted, but her vagina was off limits.

Dang, where can I meet a classy chick like that?

Hammock Parties
03-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Zach's a manwhore.

Ebolapox
03-18-2005, 10:12 AM

ROFL

classic

-EB-

redfan
03-18-2005, 10:32 AM
B'whaaaaaaat? Young adults not sticking to a viringity pledge?

see: my title

Mr. Laz
03-18-2005, 12:03 PM
just say "NO" to virginity!!

it may save your life

Rausch
03-18-2005, 12:11 PM

Exactly.

I'd have to see the study myself and see how it was done. Apparently they're only testing men/women who've take the pledge AND decided to have sex anyway. That said, if they don't even feel the need to live up to their own standards why would they live up to those of society (contraception)?

Sounds biased...

whoman69
03-18-2005, 12:17 PM
The problem with abstinance only teaching is that the students have no information about birth control when its needed. Abstinance only tells them that it doesn't work anyway. So if they falter, they have no information to protect themselves.

Calcountry
03-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I heard the other day that there have been more cases of vd in the mouth and throat area, but in the pelvic region.

Thank you president Clinton. :banghead: :thumb: :cuss: :p :clap:But that isn't sex.

C-Mac
03-18-2005, 01:04 PM
A pledge of abstinece and a pledge of virginity are obviously not the same.
One has a unlimited guarantee.....the other has a limited warranty.

|Zach|
03-18-2005, 01:10 PM

I'll match your study with MY study...nah, nevermind. What's the point?

This isn't a big battle for me, but the research is all over the place on it...neither side can claim anything conclusive.
I didn't see this thread as a batte line being drawn or a fight. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
03-18-2005, 01:36 PM
I didn't see this thread as a batte line being drawn or a fight. :hmmm:

I know; that's why I backed off...

Eh, anytime you throw something one side or the other holds up as part of their sacred ideology (abstinence to conservatives, gay rights to liberals), it's bound to get caught in the "WHO" is doing the research bit. After years of fighting the battle, I've just decided it ain't worth it when the research is so contradictory.

Kind of surprising for me, eh? :shrug: